Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 28th Aug]

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 12th July 2012, 01:36

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 8/7]

F everyone's I, I'm currently working on a port of the Console version to Android. It's not as pretty as frogbotherer's, obviously, but it translates pretty nicely to small screens. I'm using a lot of code from the Android port of Angband.
Right now, I've got it displaying the game and accepting input, but it's pretty buggy, so I deem it unfit for public consumption. Here's where I'm up to now:

I've spoken with frogbotherer and we'll aim to collaborate a bit. Once I get it to a basic playable state I'll start a new thread and post apks there.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 22nd July 2012, 15:50

Hello again! Another updated build in the OP. This is a much newer version of 0.11 and tiles will be completely broken if you don't delete the file libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag. Saves may or may not be compatible between the two versions (I didn't think to check; oops).

I have also updated the SDL port library, which might improve compatibility with newer Android devices. Naturally it might completely trash compatibility with old Android devices too - please let me know if things are working significantly better/worse than before. As part of the updated port, it will delete any old SDL library config. - i.e. it will forget where your carefully-placed soft keys are and how you've rebound the accelerometer, so watch out.

In order to address the two outstanding issues I know about with the port, I have tried to:
(a) change the timings in one of the event loops to make hold-for-right-click work -- bit of a shot in the dark this one, but let's see
(b) create a new set of screen size settings for 480x320 -- you still won't get a loading screen, but i've given it a set of default font sizes that might work better

Finally, the build from late May has now been downloaded more than 500 times :shock: Given the number of views/posts in the thread, for now I'm assuming this is one particularly unlucky individual attempting to fetch the file hundreds of times and failing, but you never know.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 22nd July 2012, 23:11

frogbotherer wrote:Hello again! Another updated build in the OP. This is a much newer version of 0.11 and tiles will be completely broken if you don't delete the file libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag. Saves may or may not be compatible between the two versions (I didn't think to check; oops).

Thanks for the update! No, saves are not compatible.

frogbotherer wrote: (a) change the timings in one of the event loops to make hold-for-right-click work -- bit of a shot in the dark this one, but let's see

Sorry, didn't fix it. It seems to be a timing issue though, since sometimes it does work. I haven't been able to figure out when, seems rare and random.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th July 2012, 21:15

Another new build in the OP, this time with clicky shopping and working sound(!!) using SDL_mixer.

What I'm planning to do next is code up some kind of <<bonk>> box that prompts for Y/N and Str/Int/Dex choices. This is a bit more ambitious than the flagrant bodgery that I've been indulging in so far, so we'll see how it works out.

Also, if anyone has any nagging UI irritations from playing the port, please post and let me know - mine began and ended with not being able to 'c'hop stuff easily, but I've "fixed" that now :)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th July 2012, 22:47

That's great, but some of this stuff should be in desktop crawl too. We really need to merge it! A popup prompt could be useful for all prompts, not just level up stat increases. The map mode is a pain to use without a keyboard. It doesn't even have a button in the command panel (which needs to be split in 2 with common/uncommon btw), and it needs a row of buttons at the top with stairs, portals and shops like the console version has. And pressing menu for enter doesn't work in map mode last time I tried.

Thanks again for your great work!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 11:11

Hello!

In case you where wondering latest version works on Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 - Darky 9.5 ROM (based on android 2.2).

I tried "Crawl" and got to ~12 dungeon with no bugs (then YASD :lol: ). Played also some dungeon sprint and no issues there.

About UI i was wondering if its possible that in (near :)) future we will get a replacement for the on screen keyboard as a set of buttons with the name of an action / spell / skill. It would be a great help for all the new players who are not very familiar with keyboard commands ( plus it is more pleasant to press berserk button than type "aa" ).

Anyway great work on this port - i wish more and more success with it.
"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." J. Robert Oppenheimer

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 13:34

I tried it out on a Galaxy Note (5.3" screen, no keyboard, and stylus)...I can't get past character name input..how do I get past it? I type my name and hit send.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 15:38

Spoiler: show

Click on icon - little android - in top left corner - you might have other icon than me. Then on screen keyboard should appear and just type your character name (i use "hackers keyboard").

Sorry for the big pic's - no time to re-size.

Ups i might miss read your post. After entering name and hitting send keyboard don't hide ? Or hitting "Crawl" don't work?

I have found one bug today. I'm using hardware "Menu" button as a Enter (Return in SDL config) i couldn't confirm my shopping list (in shop :) ) by using hardware button (nor on screen keyboard or i did something wrong).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 16:15

I don't have an android device, but I'm going to be getting a Kindle Fire in the near future. Does anyone know if there's any reason this wouldn't work on one of those?

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 16:28

Since Kindle Fire can run Android OS (i heard that Android 4.03 CM9 run's smooth) there shouldn't be any problems, but theory is one and life is one, you have to try it.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 16:39

I kept trying and it eventually worked. Is there a way to make things a bit bigger?

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 16:41

Nope.

Edit

You are lucky 5.3" is a big screen for a phone. I play on 4" and i have lots of fun. It's matter of habit.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 1st August 2012, 00:14

You marvelous people. And I thought Crawl on my phone wasn't gonna happen when I went with a touchscreen-only model this time around rather than one with a slide-out keyboard...

Seems to run just fine on my Samsung Galaxy S3, though I feel like I need to find a stylus or something... if there was any way to make the action buttons much bigger, maybe as overlays on the text-notification area, it would be totally playable. Keep up the amazing work; I'm gonna try it out on my brother in law's Fire when I get a chance.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 1st August 2012, 06:49

I'm running it on a little HKV tablet, with a hardware keyboard attached. Its a lot of fun, crawl fits perfectly into a 7 inch screen... This game really is a masterwork of interface.

The only problem is that ctrl doesnt work with my hardware keboard, so I have to hit * for <ctrl>

Keep up the good work!
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 12:25

Just wanted to thank you for this. I recently swapped my netbook for a Nexus 7 for day to day usage and DCSS is the only thing I miss!

I've had a brief go and its very playable on the N7 with a stylus.

My only request would be a few shortcuts to the most used commands up by the keyboard button. Auto-explore, fire, zap etc.

Keep up the good work!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 14:21

russor wrote:My only request would be a few shortcuts to the most used commands up by the keyboard button. Auto-explore, fire, zap etc.

There is a command panel, but you need to reduce the inventory panel, remove the spell panel and/or remove the minimap. Lookup tiles_layout_priority in options_guide.txt and experiment.
It could be improved. The command panel needs to be split in two (common and rare), and it would be really nice to be able to change them dynamically.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 14:25

How did you get yours so big? On my 5.3"er the stuff is to small to click with my stylus even.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 14:36

MonthOLDpickle wrote:How did you get yours so big? On my 5.3"er the stuff is to small to click with my stylus even.

try reducing the resolution.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 00:04

I play it on my Kindle fire and it works awesomely. The only problem I've seen (and it's really not much of one) is that sometimes if you pull up the kindle menu bar and go back into the game the touch calibration will be a little off but exiting quick and going back into the game fixes this and it seems kind of random as to when it'll happen, but not often at all.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 23:48

bonkbox.png
bonk box
bonkbox.png (211.22 KiB) Viewed 19318 times

New build with "bonk" popup boxes added \o/ These may or may not cause hilarious slow-down, new bugs and memory leaks. I've also fixed the <return> key not working in the shop screen, which was a feature introduced by the last update.

The thumbs-up and thumbs-down images have been borrowed from some licence-free, creative commons, clipart website somewhere and don't necessarily fit with the UI look-and-feel. If someone wants to draw me another one, that'd be nice :)

To pick up on one or two of the other comments in the thread:
  • touch calibration on the Kindle: this is something in the SDL library port and will be a battle to sort out (especially as I'm using a generic ICS emulator image for my testing). If the library is updated with a fix I'll pull it into the build here.
  • layout issues: you can indirectly control the layout of the screen by changing the font sizes and menu ordering in the init.txt. If you settle on a particular set of optimal options for your given device, please can you spare a moment to post the device, screen size and settings in the thread? I can then work up some sensible defaults for everyone
  • i'm a bit surprised that hardware <ctrl> is broken; if it's repeatable in the emulator i'll look for a fix
  • for larger action buttons, you can configure up to four overlay keys by going through the options before the game loads (click the button at the top when the SDL logo is displayed). These settings persist until the next time I twiddle the bit to reset them all :D
  • <return> key behaviour is a bit inconsistent: it only actually sends the <return> key to the game if you don't type anything else in the box. Long term, I want to replace any situation where you might want to press a virtual key with a button or other UI device

Other than bugfixing, the next thing I'm going to look at is splitting out the common commands into a new panel ('i'nventory; 'c'hop; e'v'oke; 'z'ap; 'e'tc.) and adding clicky support to anything I've missed in the GUI. I'll also look at improving the map mode if someone can tell me what key to press to get into it ;)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 5th August 2012, 12:19

Map mode is X. The worst thing about it is that you can't confirm a destination with menu. I'm also completely unable to use the drop menu. I select items, but the menu button scrolls down, I just cannot confirm my selection. Would be great to be able to swip to scroll and use menu to confirm.
Last thing, on my archos 70 IT tablet, the menu buttons are on the right and are earing my precious stat area estate. I've got only 5 panel columns :(. Since the res is 800x480, there's probably not much that can be done about it.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 5th August 2012, 16:41

Sorry where to download new version ?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 5th August 2012, 20:30

Ezehiel wrote:Sorry where to download new version ?

The download link is in the first post of this thread.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Ezehiel

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 5th August 2012, 21:04

Damn letters m and n looks so a like :D and i didn't pay attention to date :roll: (shame on me :))

Thx

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 22:47

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 10th Aug]

New build up in the OP; none of the bugs fixed; a few new ones:
  • command panel split into two (for common and system actions)
  • order of tabs in the bottom right shuffled around a bit
  • added some help text to remind players that clicking on the header of the pickup/drop screen performs the action
Might have a go at the map mode next >:]

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 11th August 2012, 11:15

frogbotherer wrote:added some help text to remind players that clicking on the header of the pickup/drop screen performs the action

haha, good :)

frogbotherer wrote:Might have a go at the map mode next >:]

I forgot to mention one thing about map mode. A good improvement would also to make it full screen, like it now does in webtiles (and like it always had in console). A great improvement would be to make it zoomable with pinching and scrollable with swipes, but now I'm getting greedy :) Stairs buttons are more urgent.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 22:23

Runs fine on a hacked HP Touchpad with CyanogenMod 9.

This. Is. Awesome.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 00:31

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 18th Aug]

Behold! A new menu for map mode:
ooh_map_mode.png
ooh_map_mode.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 19120 times

The icons here are absolutely horrible, minimum effort placeholders that hopefully someone will have the heart to replace on my behalf. These do about 90% of what 'X' lets you do, specifically the commands are (left-to-right; top-to-bottom):
  • enable map mode
  • go to cursor
  • down/up one level
  • go to level
  • new travel exclusion
  • find exclusion
  • clear exclusions
  • new waypoint
  • find waypoint
  • find stairs up/down
  • find me/portals/traps/altars/stashes

A couple of other things:
  • I noticed things a little bit slower and sluggish than some of the previous builds during my rudimentary testing - if this is a common experience, I'll have a look for anything particularly slow that's been added
  • at some point soon I'm going to rebase the code onto 0.12; wheee
  • oh yes, and I've not fixed any of the input bugs yet :D

As usual, an updated build is in the OP

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 05:05

frogbotherer wrote:The icons here are absolutely horrible, minimum effort placeholders that hopefully someone will have the heart to replace on my behalf.

I can do that... just let me know what each button does and I'll make icons for them.

Also, I tried installing this on my Samsung Galaxy Y (cheapo smartphone, best I can afford right now...) but it doesn't run. It shows up the SDL splash screen, then goes black for a moment and then quits.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 22:28

frogbotherer wrote:Behold! A new menu for map mode:

It's really great. It makes the game much more usable. It would be even better if the map mode button was part of the command panel, and when activated the map goes full screen and all those buttons go to the top of the screen.

Oh, I've tested the shop menu. It's nice, but a bit hard to navigate. I'd change all the buttons to TextTileItem to make them bigger and prettier. Just be careful of using a generic tiles for unknown items. Even the button at the bottom. Maybe someone will draw some pretty tiles for them ;)
Also, the buy items button doesn't seem to do anything when I tap it.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 00:43

dd: it would be great if you could; the function of each icon is listed in my last post, and I'd need a little icon for the tab as well. If you need more info from me, fire over a PM or something :)

I've tried putting together an emulator image that matches the specs for your phone, but the game appears to run fine. There's a couple of things that might cause what you're seeing:
  • no SD card or a full SD card
  • a previous build of the Android port being installed (you need to delete a few files in /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/ -- it says which ones in the OP)
  • if the black screen were hanging rather than crashing out, it's just that the splash logos don't fit on a 320x240 screen and you need to press a key :D
  • (er... almost anything can cause the game to crash at that point, unfortunately :))
If you want to get it working, and can send me a "logcat" of it whilst it crashes, I'll take a look and see if I can help.

galahar: I initially considered having a command panel button for the map, and then hiding all the panels except the map mode one when it was clicked. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make such drastic changes to the layout based on a user action. I also tried to make it so that clicking on the map commands tab would automatically start map mode, but that behaviour is inconsistent with the other tabs and didn't work very well either. You have mentioned once or twice now about a full-screen dungeon region for the map -- really there's other parts of the UI that I want to look at first though ;)

On the shop menu: I'd love to make it a not-PrecisionMenu, but my first objective was to make it clicky at all. I'm a bit surprised that the buy items button is broken though - that should result in a popup. If you do shift-S (or *S or what-have-you) for save-and-quit, does it pop up a dialogue or crash?

I might have a go at getting it to work better at low resolutions next (by trimming down the top-right panel and scaling some of the icons to fit better), and there's still some bits of the UI that aren't clicky - 'G'o is now the most irritating omission for me.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 10:40

frogbotherer wrote:dd: it would be great if you could; the function of each icon is listed in my last post, and I'd need a little icon for the tab as well. If you need more info from me, fire over a PM or something :)

I'll try to get them done in the near future... Also, are you going to use the new tabs & icons from the main build? The icons I make will probably be in the same style so you'd get a more consistent UI that way.

frogbotherer wrote:I've tried putting together an emulator image that matches the specs for your phone, but the game appears to run fine. There's a couple of things that might cause what you're seeing:

no SD card or a full SD card
a previous build of the Android port being installed (you need to delete a few files in /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/ -- it says which ones in the OP)
if the black screen were hanging rather than crashing out, it's just that the splash logos don't fit on a 320x240 screen and you need to press a key :D
(er... almost anything can cause the game to crash at that point, unfortunately :))

If you want to get it working, and can send me a "logcat" of it whilst it crashes, I'll take a look and see if I can help.

No, no, and no - it crashes after showing a black screen for a while, throws me back to the app menu. Is there a core dump file or something I should look for?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 12:51

frogbotherer wrote:galahar: I initially considered having a command panel button for the map, and then hiding all the panels except the map mode one when it was clicked. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make such drastic changes to the layout based on a user action. I also tried to make it so that clicking on the map commands tab would automatically start map mode, but that behaviour is inconsistent with the other tabs and didn't work very well either. You have mentioned once or twice now about a full-screen dungeon region for the map -- really there's other parts of the UI that I want to look at first though ;)

I said full-screen dungeon region only in map-mode, not always. Just like we do in console and webtiles. Also, in console, there's a line at the top of the screen with a glyph for each stairs/shop/portal you've discovered. That's what I was thinking about, but the level navigation and exclusion buttons are also very useful.

On the shop menu: I'd love to make it a not-PrecisionMenu, but my first objective was to make it clicky at all. I'm a bit surprised that the buy items button is broken though - that should result in a popup. If you do shift-S (or *S or what-have-you) for save-and-quit, does it pop up a dialogue or crash?

Why a not-PrecisionMenu? I only see benefit from it? Mouse support, keyboard navigation, flexible layout, tiles support,...
Tapping the buy button only selects it, it doesn't do anything. Sending the space key works and shows the pop-up.

I might have a go at getting it to work better at low resolutions next (by trimming down the top-right panel and scaling some of the icons to fit better), and there's still some bits of the UI that aren't clicky - 'G'o is now the most irritating omission for me.

Yeah, a better 'G'o would be useful. An interface for e'x'amine too, but maybe polish the map mode first, and then make a similar one for examine. For improved stat area, I think we need either an option for a minimal interface, or make it fully configurable. Or both (fully configurable, with a few 'presets'). Anything very static can go like name and title.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 14:36

I've been running this on a kindle fire and it's been working great. Had a little trouble figuring out how to esc out of menus and confirm selections on multi-select menus, but once I got the hang of it, it was smooth sailing. Tons of thanks for this!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 15:56

These UI updates are really slick. One thing that would really improve playability on small screens (Galaxy S2) would be removing a row and column from the inventory/commands section, and making the tabs and individual buttons bigger. Some of the buttons are inconveniently positioned too - pray being right next to butcher can cause some grief. :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 16:12

Also along those lines, I'd like to see the autoexplore and autofight buttons moved to the edge of the screen. Those are the two I hit the most, and they're on the left side of the button area. Eeviac's suggest is a good one, too. If I slightly miss the butcher button, I wind up sacrificing a corpse. Separating those two would be a good idea.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 19:47

frogbotherer wrote:On the shop menu: I'd love to make it a not-PrecisionMenu, but my first objective was to make it clicky at all. I'm a bit surprised that the buy items button is broken though - that should result in a popup. If you do shift-S (or *S or what-have-you) for save-and-quit, does it pop up a dialogue or crash?

I tested it more and can provide more precise feedback. The issue is with all the buttons from the bottom row. Toggling examine/buy works fine, but the 4 at the bottom rarely work. When tapping them repeatedly, they sometimes do. Also, I have the issue on both my phone (galaxy S2) and my tablet (archos 70IT), but with a slight visual difference. On the phone, usually as long as I keep my finger on the button, it stays selected. Sometimes it stays selected after I release it, but usually it doesn't. On the tablet, the buttons almost always stay selected after I've tapped it. Either way, they are mostly non-functional. Last thing, on the phone, the keyboard button in the corner changes colour depending on whether a button is selected or not. It's red when there is no selection, and grey otherwise.
Also, as I said, it would be better if they were bigger. Just changing their type to TileTextItem should increase their height, tiles can be added later. Maybe moving them a line up, so that they are not at the edge of the screen could help too.

And last thing, can't wait for the next release with latest trunk changes. Playing sprint VI on android will be awesome!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 21:24

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's really helpful!

To address a couple of things that have come up:
  • the broken shop menu is definitely a bug that I've introduced somehow; there's a dead-zone of about a line's height at the bottom of the screen, which handily overlaps the last row of commands. The buttons work if you click the top-most edge of them! It's fixed locally and I'll prep another build in a day or two
  • Android creates a very verbose system log, including crash messages and the like; however you can't get at it without some magic. I think the easiest way is to install something like catlog (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat - looks about right, although I've not used it myself). If there's nothing immediately obvious, I can jam the source full of debugging messages and we'll see how far it gets :D
    Oh! a couple of other ideas: have a look in /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/morgue and see if there are any crash logs; also, set all the font sizes to tiny in init.txt and see if that makes a difference
  • finally, I'd like the buttons in the new look-and-feel please - when I update to 0.12 I'll inherit the rest of the new tiles too :)

For this message the author frogbotherer has received thanks: 2
BlackSheep, MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 23:08

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 28th Aug]

0.12 build in the OP!

This fixes the shopping bug and I've added a menu for ring-swapping (unless you're an Octopode; sorry). Behind the scenes I've also tried to clean up the code to a reasonable standard, although I suspect the primary impact of this will be more crashing :D

As usual with these things, if you're updating you will definitely need to
  • delete the file /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/lib/libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag
  • abandon any old saves, as they're not backwards compatible

By the way, this last point is why there's not been a build in a couple of weeks - I had a really good MiBe on the go until overconfidence got the better of me in vault at the bottom of Elf :(

Finally, there's a tiny bit more debug logging enabled in this build (reporting where it's looking for files) in case this helps with dd's start-up problem.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 00:09

Awesome. You da man.

dd

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 07:32

Ok, I finished the new android-specific GUI icons. I also included new versions of the yes/no buttons which I think are more streamlined and fit better with the style of the interface, but if you don't like them you can keep using the old ones.

androguis.png
androguis.png (13.25 KiB) Viewed 18830 times

androguis_x.png
androguis_x.png (16.54 KiB) Viewed 18829 times

For this message the author dd has received thanks: 3
frogbotherer, galehar, MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 18:04

i've been playing this on a 3.7" 854x480 phone
absolutely love it, but i'ts very hard to see.

a new character class with half LOS, or maybe a "Claustraphobia mode" (half LOS) would be cool
or just a zoomed map with touch fling panning.
then maybe teh tiles would be large enough to see.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 19:46

Well, a new option has been added to trunk earlier today which allows scaling. However, bigger tiles means even less of them, and on such a tiny screen, playability won't be better. We really need to adapt the interface to low res if we want it to be playable on phones.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 4th September 2012, 08:59

galehar wrote:Well, a new option has been added to trunk earlier today which allows scaling. However, bigger tiles means even less of them, and on such a tiny screen, playability won't be better. We really need to adapt the interface to low res if we want it to be playable on phones.

Being able to pinch-zoom and pan would be amazing, and I can't think of anything else that would really solve it.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 9th September 2012, 15:02

I have to admit, this 0.12 build is swell and all for people who don't have keyboards, but i specifically got a phone with a keyboard so I could play this game on my phone.

So when I go Ctrl+X and the menu changes from my inventory to these ease of access buttons that are too small for me to use, it is frustrating. The button to go back to my inventory is tiny, and most the time I end up drinking a potion as well as viewing my inventory. Is there a keyboard shortcut here I am missing? Or is this a bug? I'd rather be able to Ctrl+X without my inventory disappearing, is there something I can do to get rid of this?
wolloloo wrote:The arrogance of people around here is really astounding. Time to leave this place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th September 2012, 21:07

No, it's a feature. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a shortcut to restore the view to the inventory panel. This got into local tiles too, but galehar fixed it already.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 10th September 2012, 22:43

BlackSheep wrote:No, it's a feature. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a shortcut to restore the view to the inventory panel. This got into local tiles too, but galehar fixed it already.

What magic wand did he evoke to fix this problem? This issue is the only problem I have with the Android Tiles and I really would like to fix it. I play this game constantly, it's easily my favourite game that I have found for Android and I've been playing it on my computer since 2009.
wolloloo wrote:The arrogance of people around here is really astounding. Time to leave this place.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 10th September 2012, 22:54

delilah wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:No, it's a feature. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a shortcut to restore the view to the inventory panel. This got into local tiles too, but galehar fixed it already.

What magic wand did he evoke to fix this problem? This issue is the only problem I have with the Android Tiles and I really would like to fix it. I play this game constantly, it's easily my favourite game that I have found for Android and I've been playing it on my computer since 2009.

err, I don't code with my magic wand...

So, new versions for android are now on the official trunk download page. Also, I'm locking this topic, please comment on the android port on the new topic. It's official now!

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
BlackSheep, frogbotherer
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion