Specifying firing order for throwables

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 08:23

Specifying firing order for throwables

I am trying to specify the order in which my throwables are being quivered/fired.
I've edited init.txt to enable fire_order, but it won't work in game for some reasons.
  Code:
##### 4-k       Firing Commands #######################
#
# fire_items_start = a
fire_order = inscribed, return / handaxe / spear / dagger / club, net / launcher, rock, javelin, dart
#fire_order += handaxe / javelin / dart / stone / rock / spear / net / dagger / club
# fire_order += inscribed

What can be wrong?

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 08:00

Re: Specifying firing order for throwables

Don't you, guys, troubled by it? Let's say you have pile of regular darts and couple of enchanted hand axes. I bet you would want to throw this axes first to maximize the damage. But somehow they are always messed up. I mean one axe, that I quivered, will be on top, but another one will be replaced in by darts after I recover it. It's so annoying...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 09:18

To be honest, I've never really bothered fiddling with this option. But your report is a bit confusing. It's not very clear what you're trying to do, and what is the behaviour you're getting. Is it completely ignored? Unreliable? Is it about missiles picked up which aren't automatically quivered?
Try to provide a reproducible scenario. With this setting, I do those actions, and getting this results while I was expecting this one.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 09:37

Basically the problem is that I don't get ANY changes. I guess I am doing something wrong with the file (or use wrong file at all).
This line in init.txt:
  Code:
fire_order = inscribed, return / handaxe / spear / dagger / club, net / launcher, rock, javelin, dart

as some one in chat said, have to force the order in which throwables will automatically quivered and thus shoot. But enabling this line don't change anything. And I don't understand the priority used in game by default.

Here is a scenario:
I got a hand axe, a javelin and a dart in inventory.
I also have simplifyed the line to
  Code:
fire_order = handaxe / javelin / dart

for this experiment.
After I start the game it do nothing. I still have whatever I had in quiver (in this case it was dart).
If I quiver the axe manually and throw it, the next item will be dart (and not javelin, as I would want to).
I become frustrated.
The end )

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 11:33

I see. You're doing it wrong. From the options_guide.txt:

Items should be separated by commas and items that appear first get higher priority. Items in any position may be slash-separated to indicate that these are of equal priority.

So you need to use commas instead of slashes.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 11:47

Tried:
  Code:
fire_order = handaxe, javelin, dart

Still darts go after the handaxe.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 12:12

It's working fine for me. Although, at first I thought it didn't before I realized that '(' cycles forward and ')' cycles backward. Seems wrong.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 12:15

I've created new topic for this. Any changes in init.txt just won't work. I mean ANY.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 16:27

galehar wrote:It's working fine for me. Although, at first I thought it didn't before I realized that '(' cycles forward and ')' cycles backward. Seems wrong.

THANK you for changing this. I've been playing for years and still had problems with this.

Return to Technical Support