Updating Crawl in Linux Mint

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 19:25

Updating Crawl in Linux Mint

I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to Linux but I'm trying to spend more time in my Linux Mint partition to get more familiar with it. Getting the latest version of Crawl up and running is pretty important to keep me from crawling back to Windows (pun intended).

As it stands now I've gotten Crawl installed but only version 0.8, which seems to be the default version when using apt-get. As suggested in the download page I've added this to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://crawl.develz.org/debian crawl 0.10

I also downloaded and installed the signing key and run sudo apt-get update. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that this process would get my installed version of Crawl up to 0.10, which it didn't.

I'm think I'm must be going about this completely wrong. Is it necessary to download and compile the source to play the most recently stable version on Linux? Any help would be really appreciated.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 19:30

Re: Updating Crawl in Linux Mint

apt-get update only updates your list of packages. You then need to run apt-get upgrade to actually upgrade the packages to the latest version.
You're almost there!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
eblip

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 19:46

Re: Updating Crawl in Linux Mint

galehar wrote:apt-get update only updates your list of packages. You then need to run apt-get upgrade to actually upgrade the packages to the latest version.
You're almost there!

That was amazingly helpful. Latest version is up and Crawling so now I can make myself at home in Linux Mint. Hard to believe I was one small deviation away and almost gave up, thanks again!

Return to Technical Support