lanarts, real-time co-op roguelike

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 17:58

lanarts, real-time co-op roguelike

I am making a real-time multiplayer rogue-like that is inspired heavily by Dungeon Crawl
(Disclaimer: Many of the current graphics are from Dungeon Crawl!)

The game is released under GPL and is actively developed by me (daily development).
I blog about the game at:
http://adam-dev-blog.blogspot.com/

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. My aim is to make a fun, real-time co-operative game based on Dungeon Crawl.
Last edited by ludamad on Monday, 20th August 2012, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 03:09

Re: lanarts, real-time co-op roguelike

Problem with a multiplayer roguelike is that melee is horrifically overpowered (compared to ranged/magic). Good luck balancing the classes...
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 05:37

My aim is to make a fun, real-time co-operative game based on Dungeon Crawl.

I would love a game like that! If I could make a suggestion-- don't call it a roguelike, even if that's your source material. Real time+co-op places you strictly outside the realm of being like Rogue. Though you could probably get away with it, as the term's increasingly abused by anybody seeking insta-cred for their latest indie abortion, and clearly it works, so maybe I've just got a stick up my butt. And then we can stretch the term until it encompasses games like Fire Emblem-- after all, turnbased, grid-based, permadeath, and swords that's like Rogue lols!!!

maybe we should just ditch the term

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2012, 14:33

Problem with a multiplayer roguelike is that melee is horrifically overpowered (compared to ranged/magic). Good luck balancing the classes...

I have no clue why you would think that to be in general true. This obviously depends 100% on the game mechanics.
Also, the classes in Dungeon Crawl are mostly balanced in the sense that you can win with every class. I'm more or less hoping for the same.

As for 'roguelike', its a branding thing assuredly. I realize the term doesn't fit but I don't care too much :) I want it to be as much like a co-op roguelike as possible, and that isn't really possible in my opinion without real-time gameplay.

I would love feedback on the game itself :)

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2012, 18:46

ludamad wrote:I have no clue why you would think that to be in general true.

Mangband.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 25th August 2012, 10:26

I'm not a purist but if it's not turn-based, it's not a roguelike.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 06:54

A lanark roguelike? Sign me up.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner