Powered by Pain + Guardian Spirit = infinite health?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 17:14

Powered by Pain + Guardian Spirit = infinite health?

I assume this doesn't really make you immortal, but Powered by Pain and Guardian Spirit seem like a good combination. Can anyone explain exactly what will happen?
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 17:42

Re: Powered by Pain + Guardian Spirit = infinite health?

According to the knowledge bots for guardian spirit: "While wearing this amulet, damage you take is divided proportionately between MP and HP. Reduces magic to 0 on wearing. Note that a Deep Dwarf wearing this does not regain mana naturally."

This means that you'll still take hit point damage even if PbP and Guardian Spirit are active, but the rapidly regenerating mana will mean you take less overall hit point damage

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 22:35

This is what makes me angry that powered by pain is a Demonspawn-only mutation. This combo would be wonderful for a DD...or at least much much better than the status quo.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 22:50

I think the chances of PbP activating are based on the damage you take. Since you're using a guardian amulet, you're reducing the chances of getting mana from PbP. On the plus side, it'll help when you're getting hit by bigger attacks rather than several small ones. (Goddamn yaktaur captains.)
"You draw a card... It is the Bones."

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 13:17

I tested this around in wizmode in zot with a high-powered character. It basically gives you a single extra turn before death. I wouldn't waste the amulet slot.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

For this message the author sardonica has received thanks: 3
drag0n, MyOtheHedgeFox, rebthor

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 02:20

I tried this out with a high level DsFi and it didn't make a noticeable difference. Too bad. I wish there were more unusual combos like this that had a big impact on the game.
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 14:50

drag0n wrote: I wish there were more unusual combos like this that had a big impact on the game.

It's funny, I feel almost exactly opposite. One of my favorite things about Crawl is the balance of the game - there are a myriad of interesting combos but very few (if any) of them significantly break open the game. I feel that Crawl pushes about the same no matter what, the difference is how well I pay attention to threats, and how adaptable to opportunities I am as a player that lead to my failure or (rarely) success.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 04:48

drag0n wrote:I tried this out with a high level DsFi and it didn't make a noticeable difference. Too bad. I wish there were more unusual combos like this that had a big impact on the game.

"Unusual combos" usually become "go-to strategies" before long...
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 13:02

sardonica wrote:"Unusual combos" usually become "go-to strategies" before long...

I don't think a combo which relies on a random mutation on a single species can become a "go-to strategy". Maybe I'm shortsighted.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 13:05

It would become a go-to strategy on any demonspawn that got it. Ds players would say "I got powered by pain, time to find an item with guardian spirit on it and be immortal for 95% of the rest of the game!" which really isn't terribly fun or rewarding

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 13:58

Southpaw wrote:It would become a go-to strategy on any demonspawn that got it. Ds players would say "I got powered by pain, time to find an item with guardian spirit on it and be immortal for 95% of the rest of the game!" which really isn't terribly fun or rewarding

I would need to get the mutation, to get a guardian spirit item AND the combo to be a no brainer instead of simly powerful...
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 14:46

In any case, it's not powerful. The extra MP is more likely to save your life by letting you cast spells than by acting as extra HP.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 13:12

It would be pretty broken because you can get gaudian spirit as a Ds mutation too.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 19:55

another one of those bots huh

ban it before it spreads

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 21:43

drag0n wrote:I assume this doesn't really make you immortal, but Powered by Pain and Guardian Spirit seem like a good combination. Can anyone explain exactly what will happen?

No more immortal than, say Guardian Spirit plus CBoE, or Guardian Spirit plus vinestalker bite, or guardian spirit plus a giant supply of magic potions (thanks Pakellas!).

Some of the damage is always going to to be HP damage, no matter how much mana you have.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 22:08

gaurdian spirit +VS bite does a LOT of work though.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice