Hierarchy of Brands?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 14:34

Hierarchy of Brands?

I'm playing a KoBe right now and I've been trying to figure out which brands are the best in order. I'm guessing electrocution is near the top, speed is also good, and vorpal is very powerful on speed blades, but what about the others? How is draining, for instance? What about freezing/burning? I've really got no clue and would like some clarification on this.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 15:23

Re: Hierarchy of Brands?

On a quick blade or other fast weapon (like whips, etc), you want an additive brand (like electrocution, pain, distortion) because you get a lot of attacks with it and so the effect will be applied more times.

On a big, heavy weapon like an executioner's axe, you want a multiplicative brand (like flaming, freezing, holy wrath). Vampiric is also probably better on bigger weapons, as you get healed by 1d(damage), and so is antimagic (it increases the enemy's chance to miscast based on damage dealt).

And speed is rare but always great, yeah.

For ranged weapons, silver and steel are awesome and everything else is confusing and I have no idea about.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
mageykun

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 16:05

Thanks guys, I'll keep this in mind.
You die...

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 16:24

Speaking of ranged weapons, how does having differing brands on the launcher and ammo work?

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 16:40

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:On a quick blade or other fast weapon (like whips, etc), you want an additive brand (like electrocution, pain, distortion) because you get a lot of attacks with it and so the effect will be applied more times.

On a big, heavy weapon like an executioner's axe, you want a multiplicative brand (like flaming, freezing, holy wrath). Vampiric is also probably better on bigger weapons, as you get healed by 1d(damage), and so is antimagic (it increases the enemy's chance to miscast based on damage dealt).

For ranged weapons, silver and steel are awesome and everything else is confusing and I have no idea about.

For ranged launchers, vorpal is by far the best 'regular' brand because you can use it with branded ammo (steel, poison, etc.) Missles are allowed 1 brand (which you can get from either launcher or ammo) and vorpal doesn't count as a brand. You essentially get two brands with a vorpal launcher and the damage bonus of the brand is applied AFTER the vorpal multiplier - for example if you are shooting steel bullets with a sling of velocity you get the 30% vorpal bonus, and then the 50% steel bonus applied on top of that, so the two put together are a 95% damage increase. You used to be able to stack poison and frost/flame, but now only Nessos gets to do that.

Crossbows of penetration (penetration is on crossbows and javelins only) are better overall than vorpal crossbows because they act like a bolt spell, but you should still keep around a vorpal X-bow for singular enemies. There's also rare launchers like the storm bow (electric arrows!) or holy wrath (you can get TSO to make one for you) that are really strong but not something you can find in a regular game.

For this message the author RangerC has received thanks: 2
fspades, mageykun

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 16:57

tromboneandrew wrote:Speaking of ranged weapons, how does having differing brands on the launcher and ammo work?

You get 1 brand, and the brand on the AMMO is used (haven't checked/looked at all cases, though). Vorpal and penetration don't count as brands, so you can shoot flaming vorpal arrows or poison bolts of penetration. Only Nessos is allowed to mix two brands (he gets flaming poison arrows).

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 17:44

I think speed is a bit overrated on fast weapons. You already have fast attack speed, the problem with short blades is that your damage is reduced by monster AC. So I'd take venom, poison, draining, distortion, pain or lightning on short blades.

I don't use draining too much though because I don't understand it very well.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 17:48

What about protection? Should I avoid that one entirely?
You die...

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 18:18

danr wrote:I don't use draining too much though because I don't understand it very well.

Does damage to negative energy-vulnerable enemies (no demons/undead). Has a chance of reducing Max HP and lowering a monster's HD by 1. Basically, it kills low HD monsters very quickly and weakens tough monsters in exchange for making your kills worth less xp. The loss of xp is trivial, so use it if you want.

For this message the author lucy_ferre has received thanks:
mageykun

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 27th December 2010, 22:48

danr wrote:So I'd take venom, poison, draining, distortion, pain or lightning on short blades.

venom isn't very good at all past early game, so I stay away from it unless there's nothing else.
draining's damage is multiplicative, and therefore kind of bad on short blades; prefer speed.
distortion is great, but too much of a pain for normal games; use on games where you need to get things out of the way more than kill them.
pain is splendid with good necromancy until extended game.
elec is good until late game, too; just about everything gets rElec at some point, though, so don't bother with it as your primary brand then.

Speed itself is also good (on sabres, at least), but really, though, if I don't have pain, distortion, or stabbing skill and a nice way to make things stabbable, short blades are just too much of a bother for me, what with requiring so many keypresses to kill things.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th December 2010, 04:44

RangerC wrote:
MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:On a quick blade or other fast weapon (like whips, etc), you want an additive brand (like electrocution, pain, distortion) because you get a lot of attacks with it and so the effect will be applied more times.

For ranged launchers, vorpal is by far the best 'regular' brand because you can use it with branded ammo (steel, poison, etc.) Missles are allowed 1 brand (which you can get from either launcher or ammo) and vorpal doesn't count as a brand. You essentially get two brands with a vorpal launcher and the damage bonus of the brand is applied AFTER the vorpal multiplier - for example if you are shooting steel bullets with a sling of velocity you get the 30% vorpal bonus, and then the 50% steel bonus applied on top of that, so the two put together are a 95% damage increase. You used to be able to stack poison and frost/flame, but now only Nessos gets to do that.

Crossbows of penetration (penetration is on crossbows and javelins only) are better overall than vorpal crossbows because they act like a bolt spell, but you should still keep around a vorpal X-bow for singular enemies. There's also rare launchers like the storm bow (electric arrows!) or holy wrath (you can get TSO to make one for you) that are really strong but not something you can find in a regular game.

Here is a stupid question: What about temporary brands? i.e freezing aura, fire brand, excruciating wounds etc. Do they stack with vorpal?

edit: I mean for melee weapons
Polyphemus throws a large rock.
Your +3 buckler of reflection reflects the large rock!
The large rock hits Polyphemus.
You kill Polyphemus!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 28th December 2010, 08:30

no.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 17:56

Do brands, either on ammo or a launcher, affect the mulch rate?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 17:59

Yeah, I -think- they increase it. At least, that was the answer I saw a few months ago. Could've changed since then.

For this message the author szanth has received thanks:
smock

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st February 2011, 18:24

smock wrote:Do brands, either on ammo or a launcher, affect the mulch rate?

Flame and freezing increase mulch rate, but steel greatly reduces it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice