"C:/Users/... does not exist and I can't create it."

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 01:48

"C:/Users/... does not exist and I can't create it."

Experiencing what I imagine is a rather common problem, but could find no real help for it: I am getting the above message when I run the console version of DCSS (and the tiles version of the game is crashing before I can even see what happens, the cause of which is probably the inability to create the same folders the console version tries to do). I've never had a game not be able to give itself access to create folders/files in my Users directory. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 04:02

Re: "C:/Users/... does not exist and I can't create it."

Fixed it. Turns out it's a problem with the installer version. Running the standalone console or tiles versions works A-ok.

Now if I can just figure out why the console version window is so tiny...

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 06:20

right-click on the shortcut and play with the font options to fix the size.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 14:57

You mean right click on the window (and select Properties) once you run it, right? Worked a charm! Thanks.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 16:19

What exactly is the advantage of the installer over the standalone extractable versions? It just seems harder to set up properly, and sometimes makes it harder for people to find saves and morgues by putting them in unintuitive places.

Your problem might be that windows uses backslash, not slash. :p

C:\Users\

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 19:43

Advantages of the installer

1) It installs both Tiles and Console in one location
2) You can uninstall via Windows' uninstall mechanism
3) It makes the technical writer stuck with writing Windows SDK best practices happier
4) In some hypothetical future version of Windows (not 8), programs that create non-document files (e.g. the save games) outside of the installed location might not work any longer. Maybe.

Not especially compelling...though point 1 is nice, so I usually use the installer just for that (as I'm too lazy to get a build environment set up.)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 20:21

The installer is all multi-user friendly. One install, and each user has its own save files and config. More relevant, many people use different backup techniques for c:\users and the system. Some even move c:\users to a different partition so they don't lose their data and settings when restoring a master.
Windows sucks at that (7 less so though), so yes usually the zip is more convenient. But the installer does have some advantages.
You can also get the best of both world by using the zip and starting it with -dir. Useful for dropbox.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Technical Support