Change default autofight threshold

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 21:57

Change default autofight threshold

I've read a few times recently that it's a good idea to set autofight to a higher percentage, e.g. so you stop auto-fighting earlier.

Should that higher level (I think 50% HP was recommended?) be made a default? I think it makes more sense to use a conservative default, and let reckless players reduce it if they want. I'm guessing almost no one would, though.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 22:18

Re: Change default autofight threshold

danr wrote:I've read a few times recently that it's a good idea to set autofight to a higher percentage, e.g. so you stop auto-fighting earlier.

Should that higher level (I think 50% HP was recommended?) be made a default? I think it makes more sense to use a conservative default, and let reckless players reduce it if they want. I'm guessing almost no one would, though.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to set autofight to stop whenver a new monster appeared in your view. This could obviously be quite tedious, but really all my "oh shit" autofight moments come from not wanting to play "chase another bat" which quickly becomes "oh look an ogre!"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 22:21

I prefer to just watch my hp and read messages instead of changing the autofight threshold.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 22:51

Eji, yes it is possible.

And thats good to know crate.

As far as 50%+ default... maybe. I suspect a lot of people will change it back down though. It can get kind of annoying, but it definitely will save a lot of tabbers from killing themselves.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 22:56

I keep it at the default, but I've thought 50% might be useful in some cases. I like to hold down autofight on heavy armour characters, when I know that my enemies can't deal too much damage in one turn.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 00:16

Eji1700 wrote:
danr wrote:I've read a few times recently that it's a good idea to set autofight to a higher percentage, e.g. so you stop auto-fighting earlier.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to set autofight to stop whenver a new monster appeared in your view. This could obviously be quite tedious, but really all my "oh shit" autofight moments come from not wanting to play "chase another bat" which quickly becomes "oh look an ogre!"

I was screwing around with the autofight script but accidentally overwrote what I did.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 10:10

Eji1700 wrote:

Autofight stops every time you lift your finger from the <tab> key...
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 11:58

sardonica wrote:
Eji1700 wrote:

Autofight stops every time you lift your finger from the <tab> key...

Given the speed it can process though I find it annoying that if i forget to just lightly tap the damn thing I can be very quickly two shot by an offscreen monster. I mean it doesn't happen often but dealing with things like imps early game can take long enough normally that I'd prefer to just Tab it to death, and if i've got something like an ogre lurking around a corner that can get me killed. Obviously its carelessness on my part, but really I thought the whole point of autofight was to help with the tedium of some of the more auto win battles in the game. I'll just mod the files myself, but it seems odd that it isn't that way to begin with. If you evaluated the situation and thought that hitting Tab was actually a smart thing to do, you'd probably want to know if anything changes.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 12:39

Eji1700 wrote:I'll just mod the files myself, but it seems odd that it isn't that way to begin with.

Good luck with that. Holding down tab isn't a delayed action. The game has no way of telling if you're holding the key or just tapping it very fast. If autofight doesn't work on monsters that just come into view, it's going to be very annoying.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 13:43

Basically, and I wrote this elsewhere in a thread where I was trying to add it, you'll need Autofight to track the incoming messages for some iteration on "comes into view" which is the message when a new monster... comes into view. "come into view" is when more than one appear at the same time.

Then it needs to track that it wasn't a duplicate message.

It may or may not work on monsters you've already encountered re-entering view.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 20:36

galehar wrote:Good luck with that. Holding down tab isn't a delayed action. The game has no way of telling if you're holding the key or just tapping it very fast. If autofight doesn't work on monsters that just come into view, it's going to be very annoying.

I guess it should work that if your last action was tab and a new monster comes into view and you press tab again then it gives you a warning prompt, which you can only answer Y/N.

I do not really understant why it would be annoying, but if it is for some players, simply made it optional.

Could be hard to code it - I do not know what info is accessible from the script.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 22nd July 2012, 00:30

Eji1700 wrote:

Code:
force_more_message = into view

gives you a -more- prompt whenever you see a new critter on the screen. Granted, this isn't optimal since it'd also happen when you weren't tabbing, but it's good to really make a note of new monsters in whatever situation. I also have
  Code:
force_more_message = You kill the
force_more_message = You destroy the

so that I can tab enemies one at a time. Hitting space after every kill soon becomes automatic enough not to be a bother.

For this message the author ElectricAlbatross has received thanks:
sanka

Return to Game Design Discussion