OgTm build -updating

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 01:02

OgTm build -updating

(Note: Although this is a guide start with magic, I really meant to have Air Magic LVL12 and convert to Trog :)) But as it was pointed out by nonethousand , air elemental fan have decrease friendly rate in use... sadly, not good to use that strategy. so, still mage.

OgTm enjoy advantages:

1. High Hp + Fighting, higher damage and survival
2. Acceptable Unarmed apt -1 just like demigod
3. Size change proven for survival: spider big->tiny which is highest HP+EV combination only on. Easily 78 HP + 22 EV (+1 dex, L4 dodging), beat nearly everything before D:9.

Ogre enjoy very high HP + and combine spider form good EV.(anyway, Ogre do train some dodging and also -1 apt)

Spell-casting apt +2 is good, leveling up to get more MP.

Firstly, train transmutation to 2 and spell-casting to 5, dodging/unarmed to 4+, then focus on fighting to 7+, don't underestimate throw, get it up to 2 for better use of the blowgun and soften enemy at range. Also, if you want stealth, train it, since you can become a tiny spider for the first bite.

Gods:
I think worship Vehumet the demon is good, you need his MP on killing and reduced failure rate on getting summon, if you need them.

Evocation:
OgTm have 3 possible early range attack: throw, wand/rod, snakes -count as ranged. Train some evocation can get some item like wands more effective - the wand of flame without any evocation are unlikely beat ice beast before they close up, unless you have large rock.

Train transmutation to Level 5 or 6 and Spellcasting to 10, this probably good enough for spider form. (which isn't true if you don't train poison magic)

Unarmed to Level 8 shall be enough for a while.

Read all books you get and find useful magic to continue crawling :D

BEWARE: lair isn't place for you, do Orc Mine and Elven Hall first.
Last edited by archl on Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 00:47, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author archl has received thanks: 2
eeviac, pivotal

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 01:30

Re: OgTm build

good guide

For this message the author squarelos has received thanks: 2
crate, eb

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 07:20

Sounds painful. Try running a troll instead and only training transmutation and unarmed (and maybe a couple of levels of poison magic) pre-Lair. The other skills offer poor returns for the experience that early.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 09:10

I haven't played OgTm but here's a better guide
1) Get Spider Form below 10% miscast rate
1.5) Worship Okawaru, or maybe Makhleb
2) 15 UC
3) Blade hands
4) 5-10 fighting/dodging
5) More UC and whatever else you want. If you find some good charms (especially haste) get them castable

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 14:55

Patashu wrote:I haven't played OgTm but here's a better guide
1) Get Spider Form below 10% miscast rate
1.5) Worship Okawaru, or maybe Makhleb
2) 15 UC
3) Blade hands
4) 5-10 fighting/dodging
5) More UC and whatever else you want. If you find some good charms (especially haste) get them castable

This is pretty much true for any Tm :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 16:46

this is the saddest thing, because it is too long to be added to badforum

2) 15 UC
3) Blade hands

Especially with Okawaru to help my UC output, I'd get Blade Hands after 10 UC...

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
rebthor

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 18:09

On ogtm i'd rather not use blade hands at all and just use ice form instead (except against stuff where rF- is bad) ... you have better defenses (since og won't have good AC and is already large) and do probably as much damage.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
rebthor

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 21st June 2012, 22:36

I won't recommend - blade hands for ogre.

Its simply too tricky to use for ogre as the penalty of being large and the output of it not particular high and less flexible compare to ice form and spider form.

Blade hands just have no many features to be used.

Spider: mover faster, poison down tough melee targets without taking much damage;
ice form: rPoison, rC; can flow on water.
Even the basic Beastly Appendage, you can combine other spells to use, or if you have learnt confuse touch, its works quite great..

Ogre have lots of HP, better keep in form taking less damage.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too