Proposal for "Good Advice Giver" forum badge

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 07:55

Proposal for "Good Advice Giver" forum badge

This advice is counter to what was going around a few months back when I was playing (Oct. 2011ish)... But it is pretty much what I've been seeing in various CIP threads... So what changed that prompted the recommendations from being "you need resists" to "resists aren't really that important"?

Nothing changed. Most probably, bad players were giving advice then (bad players overrate resists a lot, generally) and now crate gave the main points of advice in this thread (crate's advice is usually very solid in my opinion and he is a better player than me).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 18:27

Re: Post Endgame Defences?

cerebovssquire wrote:Nothing changed. Most probably, bad players were giving advice then (bad players overrate resists a lot, generally) and now crate gave the main points of advice in this thread (crate's advice is usually very solid in my opinion and he is a better player than me).

I wonder if we could have some sort of forum badge for top players so that new people would know better whose advice to accept.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 18:46

Re: Post Endgame Defences?

Grimm wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:Nothing changed. Most probably, bad players were giving advice then (bad players overrate resists a lot, generally) and now crate gave the main points of advice in this thread (crate's advice is usually very solid in my opinion and he is a better player than me).

I wonder if we could have some sort of forum badge for top players so that new people would know better whose advice to accept.

I agree that this is a good idea and should be brought up in the bar, however how should top player be defined? Having a win rate above a certain percent, or total number of wins, or community agreement that they are a good player.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 18:57

Re: Proposal for "Good Player" forum badge

I would restrict it not just to top players but to people who also regularly give solid advice. This list could be established pretty easily by consensus.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 19:08

+1, proposing minmay, KoboldLord, crate, mikee

This could possibly done in a poll of some sort if discussion isn't enough to settle it (probably not needed).

Also, what name do you want to give this "badge", exactly?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 19:16

Don't hesitate to nominate yourself cs. I do so now and agree with your other nominations.

How about

Crawl Counsellor
Advice Maven
Reliable Advisor
Skilled Player

something along those lines so it's clear to new people what's going on.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 19:17

I like this idea. Let's just create a group and give them a special colour, like mods and devs.
The criteria for joining the group shouldn't be "good player" or "win rate above x". It should simply be "gives good advices". Mods and existing members of the group choose who to add. cerebovssquire, crate and KoboldLord? Anyone else?

The whispers forum is rarely used. Maybe we can use it to discuss new members and give access to it to the members of the new group (advisers? wise men?).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 19:32

Re: Proposal for "Good Advice Giver" forum badge

The criteria for joining the group shouldn't be "good player" or "win rate above x". It should simply be "gives good advices"

I definitely agree with this, it's a forum, not a tournament. Also my winrate is like 1.1% from startscumming OgWn and diving SpAr so I have egoistic interests here.

cerebovssquire, crate and KoboldLord? Anyone else?

I think minmay fits in here (though less cryptic tendencies/brevity and more explaining might help, I think there is almost always correct information and a lot of that coming from him).

The whispers forum is rarely used. Maybe we can use it to discuss new members and give access to it to the members of the new group (advisers? wise men?).

I have no idea what this is but it sounds cool. :P

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 19:55

cerebovssquire wrote:I think minmay fits in here (though less cryptic tendencies/brevity and more explaining might help, I think there is almost always correct information and a lot of that coming from him).

I think this is a requirement. If we give people community recognition that they give good advices, this also puts a responsibility on them to actually do so. I know minmay has the skills and knowledge to give good advices, but he is willing to? We'll have to ask him.
This isn't a lifetime membership anyway. If a member of the group starts trolling newbies, we'll kick him out.

cerebovssquire wrote:

I have no idea what this is but it sounds cool. :P

It's just a mod-only forum to discuss moderator stuff. It has 14 topics...
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 20:23

minmay wrote:This sounds like it would probably end up getting too lenient about who to allow into the group...most of the players who give genuinely good advice don't post here and I expect people will want to have more than 5 people in the group at some point. Might be worth trying anyway, of course.

It's fine if the group has only one or zero people in it. The idea is to label good advisors, not to artificially increase their number.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 20:47

Grimm wrote:
minmay wrote:This sounds like it would probably end up getting too lenient about who to allow into the group...most of the players who give genuinely good advice don't post here and I expect people will want to have more than 5 people in the group at some point. Might be worth trying anyway, of course.

It's fine if the group has only one or zero people in it. The idea is to label good advisors, not to artificially increase their number.

Well, go for it, and choose a colour sufficiently different from green and orange. :)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 21:33

Grimm wrote:Crawl Counsellor

I like this one. And how about this: Crawling trainer (or instructor)
Red?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 21:36

I would say blue is more different than green/orange than red is. Personally I like the "instructor" suggestion, but I don't see the need for "Crawl instructor" - this is a Crawl forum and "Instructor" is somewhat self-explanatory, plus "Crawl(ing) instructor" doesn't sound that great. I also like "counsellor".

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 22:06

I don't have rights to create a group, I think only the admin can. Is there anyone with admin rights besides danr? I pm'ed him.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 22:18

napkin also shows up on the admin's list, but danr's showed up more recently.

It might be a good idea to ask them to promote someone more readily available next time we see them. I've still got "add technical support requests to interface and software description so they stop ending up in crazy yiufs" and "add the :rangedisoverpowered: smiley" on my get-an-admin-to-do-it-list.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 22:30

mageykun wrote:my get-an-admin-to-do-it-list.

Stop making things up, magey. You're never going to get a "Good Advice Giver" badge that way.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 22:42

XuaXua wrote:

Stop making things up, magey. You're never going to get a "Good Advice Giver" badge that way.

I don't think getting into the Good Advice Giver badge group is the point of that post.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 22:46

Jabberwocky wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

I don't think getting into the Good Advice Giver badge group is the point of that post.

Let's get you up to speed...
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th May 2012, 23:56

Could/should the thanks feature be used to figure out who has made good posts?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 00:18

jejorda2 wrote:Could/should the thanks feature be used to figure out who has made good posts?

No.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks: 3
Dustbin, MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 04:28

jejorda2 wrote:Could/should the thanks feature be used to figure out who has made good posts?

Absolute no. Unless... we only count the posts which get many thanks (like, five thanks or more).

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 04:31

pratamawirya wrote:

Absolute no. Unless... we only count the posts which get many thanks (like, five thanks or more).

Still doesn't work. Good advice rarely gets thanked; jokes often do. It's a lot easier and more reliable to just say "most of us agree that these guys give advice" and the list is already pretty well defined.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 12:31

"thanks" are I think not to be considered at all. Good advisors are independent of pseudo-popularity.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 13:01

In regards to my last post: of course blue was a stupid idea, every community member who isn't a dev or moderator has blue, duh. My vote now goes to purple, it seems well-recognisable.
danr should be PMable, he seems to have visited the Tavern yesterday.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 13:15

Danr created the group and made grimm the manager. I PM'ed grimm about it, but it seems he missed it :)

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 01:23

Nah I was just out on the booze yesterday and fell behind. I'll get on it asap.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 01:49

All right it's live, with

KoboldLord
crate
mikee
cerebovssquire
minmay

now marked out with a fetching mauve colour.Other colour choices are here:
adm/swatch.php?form=ucp&name=group_colour
(I'm not sure if non admins can see that.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 03:28

I switched the colour to a pinkish hue to make it stand out more.
danr's added the new rank title "Counsellor".

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 09:29

Great idea, I hope it works out! I think the color should stand out less, though. The current color hurts my eyes, and if a counselor nickname is anywhere on the page I cant see anything else. Dark blue might work well, it would signify a user with normal user rights, but top quality posts. Maybe 0x003399.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 09:43

That looked a little dim to me. It's currently on 0000FF.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 09:53

Clicking on people's profiles as a Counsellor there's a "Banning" button below their names that wasn't there before... I have a feeling that that shouldn't be there. I haven't tried clicking on it but anything related to this should be moderator's affairs.

Dark blue seems fine. Personally I preferred purple but I guess this is better if the forum doesn't like it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 10:12

I've mailed danr about the banning button.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 12:18

I can also edit other people's posts... only put in some code tags so far so I could actually read someone's post, but as said I'm not a moderator and shouldn't have this right at all. PMing danr.
EDIT: yup, he fixed it

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 16:22

I have to say good job to Grimm on the colour of the Counsellor title. It is both distinctive and agreeable.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 23:06

I was unaware of this idea until I spotted random blue names a few minutes ago. Now that I am aware of this idea, I'm going to be contrary based on previous internet experience and say that, while in the short term this can be helpful, in the long term it is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

But how come, you might ask. This is a small community where we're all friends and all that good nice stuff with sunshine and rainbows and runes of zot everywhere, what could go wrong here? If you're asking that (and I'm not assuming you are, though I'm sure someone would bring it up), I raise you several explicit "f$% yous" in response to the removal of MD. We're are on the internet and we're all human, so I hold no illusions here.

My main concern here is by denoting a specific group of forum users as "solid advice providers", anyone without that badge of recognition is suddenly going to be providing less useful advice, no matter how good the advice in truth is. For example, let's say someone is in a situation and asking what to do next and posts a character dump. Someone advises them to cast Fireball. A blue name advises them to cast Freezing Cloud. In this hypothetical situation, both suggestions are equally valid and viable actions. But, chances are, the suggestion to cast Fireball will be disregarded because, hey, that guy isn't a blue name! It's not going to matter what the regular people say, once a blue name chimes in all of the regular people's advice is now invalid.

If you don't believe that'll happen, you'll be horribly wrong. I've seen it happen, time and time again, in various gaming communities. The "good advice" individuals in question aren't always marked with an elite user group and uniquely colored forum handle, but their names are known and once they same something, it's more correct than any other correct answer given, regardless of whether that's true or not. Regardless if it even works for the asker's playstyle or not.

And if some new guy shows up with some never thought of strategy that works as well as they claim? They'll get show down by everyone because it goes contrary to the "good advice guys" words. No, I'm not talking about those who show up, say everyone is wrong, and come up with a huge, in-depth argument that has more holes in it than swiss cheese and end up leaving in shame as a result. I mean the guy who did his homework correctly and actually did come up with something useful. They get shot down and nobody learns or tries anything new. I've seen it happen far too often.

Oh, and there's the risk of potential elitism. The less important bit of my argument here, but there's always the risk of some people going all "I'm a blue name, you're wrong". I've actually already seen that sort of thing happen on these forums already ("I have 7 separate 40-win streaks, you're wrong!") so I'm worried that this'll make it worse.

But yeah, in short, there are good intentions behind this idea, but my experiences on the internet, and in reality, are telling me that, in the long term, it'll cause problems.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

For this message the author TwilightPhoenix has received thanks:
Amnesiac

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 23:29

If you're not playing a High Elf Berserker, you're an idiot.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 01:28

Thank you for your remarks TwilightPhoenix. We can all watch to see how this idea works out. If it's a dud, it can be cancelled easily.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 02:25

@TwilightPhoenix

You make a good case, but I'd say to some small extent this was already happening. I'm pretty sure there's been a few times where my green glowiness has drawn more respect and deference from newcomers than a humble keeper of order deserves. Some more glowy names out there will help to distribute and dispel the glow-awe. :P

XuaXua wrote:If you're not playing a High Elf Berserker, you're an idiot.

I've killed off a few of those. Poor Edda.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 02:31

@TwilightPhoenix

That's a very good point that I hadn't thought of before. I don't think it's worth immediately dismissing the idea off-hand, though; if people see problems later on, then (as Grimm said) it can be easily reverted. On some level, though, it would be odd if what you described didn't happen. With or without name colours, I (as a newcomer) would be more likely to trust someone with more posts, more thanks, mod status, et al. The primary thing I see the "Counsellor" status doing is providing weight to posts that may be otherwise ignored. Mikee is a good example of this; he gives consistently excellent advice that is almost as consistently ignored by almost everyone. Having a "pay attention to me" glow helps with things like that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 07:35

TwilightPhoenix wrote:I was unaware of this idea until I spotted random blue names a few minutes ago. Now that I am aware of this idea, I'm going to be contrary based on previous internet experience and say that, while in the short term this can be helpful, in the long term it is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

But how come, you might ask. This is a small community where we're all friends and all that good nice stuff with sunshine and rainbows and runes of zot everywhere, what could go wrong here? If you're asking that (and I'm not assuming you are, though I'm sure someone would bring it up), I raise you several explicit "f$% yous" in response to the removal of MD. We're are on the internet and we're all human, so I hold no illusions here.

My main concern here is by denoting a specific group of forum users as "solid advice providers", anyone without that badge of recognition is suddenly going to be providing less useful advice, no matter how good the advice in truth is. For example, let's say someone is in a situation and asking what to do next and posts a character dump. Someone advises them to cast Fireball. A blue name advises them to cast Freezing Cloud. In this hypothetical situation, both suggestions are equally valid and viable actions. But, chances are, the suggestion to cast Fireball will be disregarded because, hey, that guy isn't a blue name! It's not going to matter what the regular people say, once a blue name chimes in all of the regular people's advice is now invalid.

If you don't believe that'll happen, you'll be horribly wrong. I've seen it happen, time and time again, in various gaming communities. The "good advice" individuals in question aren't always marked with an elite user group and uniquely colored forum handle, but their names are known and once they same something, it's more correct than any other correct answer given, regardless of whether that's true or not. Regardless if it even works for the asker's playstyle or not.

And if some new guy shows up with some never thought of strategy that works as well as they claim? They'll get show down by everyone because it goes contrary to the "good advice guys" words. No, I'm not talking about those who show up, say everyone is wrong, and come up with a huge, in-depth argument that has more holes in it than swiss cheese and end up leaving in shame as a result. I mean the guy who did his homework correctly and actually did come up with something useful. They get shot down and nobody learns or tries anything new. I've seen it happen far too often.

Oh, and there's the risk of potential elitism. The less important bit of my argument here, but there's always the risk of some people going all "I'm a blue name, you're wrong". I've actually already seen that sort of thing happen on these forums already ("I have 7 separate 40-win streaks, you're wrong!") so I'm worried that this'll make it worse.

But yeah, in short, there are good intentions behind this idea, but my experiences on the internet, and in reality, are telling me that, in the long term, it'll cause problems.

These are potential disadvantages (well, I have no problem with elitism as long as it is justified somehow, and not "I have more wins than you").
However, a blue name will usually be right. Before, you could have two people advising people to take different actions, one with good and one with sophistic arguments, and the player having no idea which to make. Now he has an indicator at least. And yes, our current Moderator Badge has nothing to do with quality of advice (mageykun's advice usually has multiple different options in in of which one is right, while others pin that right one down) but with the ability to organise the forum, but most people including me would still subconsciously trust a moderator more, even if we know it has nothing to do with quality.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 15:10

TwilightPhoenix:

These are of course very real potential problems. Elitism is already running rampant (cf. the incredibly hilarious list of "badforum" entries on the knowledge bots, some of the best crawl related entertainment ever), and I doubt blue names on people will make it worse. At least in the short term. Sadly some elitism is actually justified in this case, a lot of people on the tavern just don't know what they are talking about. This is the main reason why emphasizing who usually gives good advice is helpful on this forum. There's not always time to go into the details of every bit of advice, especially with a game as complex as crawl, so a lot of people just say "do this, I'm right". Many of them are simply wrong. Some are usually right. Devaluing the advice of the people who are wrong is exactly the right thing to do in this case. Of course it can turn into a problem, but having marked counselors seems like an improvement to me. No point in being paralyzed by the potential problems a solution to a very real and fairly big problem might cause.

Also at least some of the counselors are also on IRC, and tend to be very interested in trying and discussing awesome new strategies nobody thought of before. So I don't think great new ideas will be shot down and ignored by the current set of counselors. Generally not a lot of good new ideas comes out of the tavern anyway, so I don't think this is going to be a problem. Most of the crazy stuff that actually works never makes it to the tavern.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 17:56

@TwilightPhoenix
I think that what you feared about potential elitism already existed prior to the bluename change.

I like to think that I give decent advice. I try to back it up with knowledge bot entries, source code diving and the like. Still I know that when I see galehar or minmay or any of the other devs or elite players responding that their additions or amendments to what I say are going to be very valuable. In some cases when I'm flat out wrong, I try to edit my statement so that my bad advice doesn't stick around.

I also hear your issue about new strategies, but I'd like to think that if someone was able to pretty consistently execute with a new strategy that all the players current listed as counselors would be the first to try it out and boost it if they found it successful or explain the flaws if not.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 23:32

I, for one, welcome our new Counsellor overlords.

I love the idea. Given that this is the internet, of course, you get out of it exactly what you want to get out of it. If you want to simply know who on the forums, more often than not, knows what they're talking about? This idea is perfect.

If you want to turn it into some elitist or popularity contest and read between the lines, overanalyzing every single piece of advice and wondering what the motives are behind each? You can do that too. Just remember to wear your tinfoil hat when you do so.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 23:54

If Counsellors ever need reining in we can change their colour back to hot pink.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2012, 01:14

I don't like that idea. Hot pink is hard on my eyes and doesn't show up all that well.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2012, 04:12

lies. hot pink is where it's at.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, crate

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 13:59

Nice idea!
This is definitely helpful. After having seen this working for a while now, I just wanted to resurrect this thread to say how much I like it.
A couple of the helpers are known for being very direct (that is a compliment!), so it's quite helpful to have an indication of whether a 3 word response from one of them is likely to be good advice...
I'm also quite into using things like text color to provide information in general, for example I tend to have colored shell prompts that convey different things, so it appeals to my inner geek. :-)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 14th June 2012, 21:31

One other person who I think should be in the group: CommanderC. His posts are generally very well-thought-out and backed up with the source code and other useful things; his comments re: ranged combat, for example, were new information for a lot of experienced players.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th June 2012, 17:08

If there are no objections within a few days I will add him.
Next

Return to Suggestions & Criticism