Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 28th Aug]

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 20:34

Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 28th Aug]

Chaps,

I've had a stab at cross-compiling Crawl for Android and the results are linked below. I've got to D4 without it crashing so I thought it would be worth sharing with a wider audience. This ought to work on Android 2.2 (Froyo) and above, and might possibly work on earlier versions too. It definitely works on my Froyo tablet and an ICS tablet emulator - I should imagine it's horrid on a phone, but the SDL library wrapper gives lots of settings to twiddle, so you might get some use out of it.

At the moment I'd be interested in knowing if anyone wants to try this out, what device they're trying it on, and whether it works (at all) or not.

Latest Version (28th August, 0.12!): http://www.mediafire.com/?1ha47qj25hmdd43
If you had a go with previous builds, you must delete:
/sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/libsdl-DownloadFinished-0.flag

If you have stability issues after updating, you can also remove:
/sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/ (the whole directory)
/data/data/org.develz.crawl/files/libsdl-settings.cfg (if you have root)

If it turns out that there's interest in maintaining an Android port, I'll have a go at tarting up the source code to the point it could be checked in somewhere. I'm quite happy to go through the technical details (in short: pelya's SDL port; string-and-sellotape; blunt instrument to glwrapper-ogl.cc) too, if that's needed.

Older builds (just in case)
18/8 http://www.mediafire.com/?tug65no76mm4k3k
4/8 http://www.mediafire.com/?1owka6o3odzva8z
27/7 http://www.mediafire.com/?crxpi8pbw914wv2
22/7 http://www.mediafire.com/?me2bpdn5h7t5hv4
8/7 http://www.mediafire.com/?zql6pspxwn8gjjw
11/5 http://www.mediafire.com/?beeg745oeewlp1g

Default key bindings:
  Code:
  home   save and quit
  menu   <space>
  back   <escape>

vol+   <shift>
  vol-   <ctrl>

You can submit a <return> character by opening the soft keyboard
 and clicking the "Send" button with no text in the buffer

UI changes from trunk:
  • menus that toggle between two views (e.g. 'a'bilities; 'z'appable spells) can be toggled by clicking on the header or help text
  • multi-select menus (e.g. pick-up and 'd'rop) can be completed by clicking on the header
  • clicking on items and options in a shop performs the appropriate action
  • item descriptions are fully clickable (e.g. "press (e) to eat or (d) to drop" lets you click the (e) or (d) parts of the text)
  • yes/no and str/int/dex prompts pop up a box to click on
  • 'c'hop opens a menu when there's more than one item to butcher
  • pick-up opens the menu by default (you can switch this off again in init.txt)
  • --more-- is only printed on really exciting things like level-up (you can switch this back to the original, much more naggy, setting in init.txt)
  • clicking on the player when there's nothing on the tile waits one turn
  • clicking on the player whilst stood on a shop, portal or staircase will travel up/down appropriately
  • 'i'nventory, 'z'ap, 'd'rop and 'c'hop all have their own icons in the abilities area
  • common and system commands have been split into two separate tabs
  • tabs for memorise and skills have been taken out (sorry) (not really sorry); you can still get at these dialogues through the buttons for 'M' and 'm'
  • clicking minimap enables map mode, moves cursor
  • tab for 'X' map mode added, allowing for searching for up/down stairs, setting waypoints and the like. You can click on the cursor to auto-travel to that position
  • popup prompt when swapping rings
Last edited by frogbotherer on Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 22:57, edited 18 times in total.

For this message the author frogbotherer has received thanks: 9
BlackSheep, eeviac, galehar, jigz, jtron, MyOtheHedgeFox, Regnix, rockygargoyle, Styro

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 20:55

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside)

Hi there,

Thanks for this, I would love to help you test this, but the link does not work for me, it says the file is unavailable as there are no resources available under the users account. However, "Media pro" users can download it.

I have two android device, an asus transformer tablet and a galaxy s phone, both running ICS.

I was just checking the forum actually to post my success in playing webtiles on the tablet (with keyboard dock) using the Chrome Beta - which has websockets support. Seems to be fully playable, but I'd love an offline version too!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 21:07

I tried the link some more and was able to download the APK. I can successfully load a game onto my Asus Transformer (with keyboard dock), but I am unable to use the shift keys (unknown command with both). Pressing the onscreen keyboard letter to the top left does not bring up an onscreen keyboard whilst my tablet is docked (normal behaviour I think as one wouldn't normally be needed). Also, all of the tiles except for my character and enemies are extremely dark and almost impossible to see - unless I disconnect my tablet and bring up the on screen keyboard, then the tiles have normal brightness. I was able to navigate by using the touch screen and auto explore, but without shift I cannot (S)ave

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 21:50

Wow, impressive! I fully support this.

Had a little trouble with the download link but it worked after a few tries. I've installed it on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and it looks great.

It fits really well in the resolution (although this phone is rather at the high end when it comes to that anyway) with plenty of dungeon on view, although I can't quite see to edge of LOS. There seems to be a problem whenever I leave the game for any reason (e.g. the phone goes to sleep or I go back to desktop) it restarts and/or crashes.

The mouse controls seem to work pretty well, although it takes a little bit of getting used to how the cursor moves relative to where you swipe, rather than jumping to straight under your finger. However I think I'll prefer this once I'm used to it, a problem I often find with touch games is that you have to obscure the screen to press it; and in a game like Crawl it's the difference between life or death to press on the right square so I definitely think this is good! Although it's a little hard to use the inventory tabs and so on because you can't see where the cursor is unless it's over something selectable, so maybe showing a small mouse pointer would be helpful. This would also aid navigating through the character selection menus.

I just hit a problem upon trying to fire Magic Dart, tapping the screen didn't fire and the keyboard button didn't seem to work; after I somehow managed to fire anyway the controls all went a bit mad.

The keys are obviously the big problem and this is where I think the UI needs some customisation to work as a touch interface. What I'm thinking is the "Actions" button panel should be visible all the time, in place of the minimap. The minimap can instead be accessed with a pinch-to-zoom gesture on the main grid. Finally some buttons for the 8 directions would be useful, along with some other functions that aren't available right now on Actions.

I think this is all really promising anyway, good to see Crawl on the little screen!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 22:15

That does seem very interesting. Moving back to SDL is being considered for desktop crawl since a lot of people have problem with opengl drivers. So this is interesting.
Will test it out more thoroughly when I have some time and will provide feedback. There's definitely interest in maintaining it, so provide implementation details, push your sources in a repository and everything.
Good work and thanks!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 12:26

Some real feedback after having played it a bit more on my Samsung Galaxy S2. Some suggestions are not specific to the android port, but are changes in the normal game that would improve the touchscreen interface.

• I like the idea of moving the cursor and then tapping on it for a more precise control. However, I find myself often losing the cursor. It's especially annoying in the main menu. The save is selected by default, but tapping it doesn't work, you have to hunt for the cursor first and bring it to the save file. Tapping should bring the cursor where you've tapped, that would be much more convenient. This seems to be the most important UI issue for now.
  • The message area is a bit bugged. The first letter of each message appears at the end of the line and the rest on the line below. I can post a screenshot if this isn't clear.
  • There are a lot of control options. Tap and hold for right click would be the most useful, but it doesn't seem to work.
  • Control with the accelerometer is hilarious :) Diagonals don't work though.
  • Any way to edit crawl standard options? Setting tile_layout_priority to "inventory, gold_turn, command, spell, minimap, monster" or something similar would help a lot. The command and spell panels are much more useful than the minimap. Ideally, I'd like to have panels dynamic and be able to pop them in/out with a right click on the icon. The minimap would just be a normal panel then.
  • I think the self-click should be changed to wait a turn. Right click to autoexplore. But we need to add a button for the pickup menu in the action panel, because I don't think there is another way to call the pickup menu with just the mouse otherwise.
  • Handling swips or other gestures would be very useful. We could set the following actions: dungeon area -> map mode (X), inventory panel -> inventory menu (or maybe drop menu), floor items (below inventory) -> pickup menu, spell panel -> spell menu (I), stats area -> character overivew (%). Swiping should exit the various menus too.
  • This reminds me that I don't think there's a way to bring the drop menu with the mouse currently. Maybe a drop button in the action panel would be nice. Left click for menu, right click for (D)rop last.
  • We need to have some easier way to butcher. Right click is used for descriptions, and special casing it for corpse is a bad idea IMO. Maybe a new button for the action panel.
  • Ideally, right-clicking should pop a radial menu with all possible actions for the item selected, like it's done in many commercial games.
  • Having to use the keyboard to answer prompts is bad, we need buttons.
OK, obviously, many other things could be done, but I'll stop here. Those are the highest priorities IMO.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 13:15

I don't ever use the Actions panel at all when playing on the desktop. Trying to use it on my phone highlights some issues for me:

• Not all of the icons are particularly clear. Some of them are downright confusing, especially at the tiny display size on my phone.
  • A lot of functions on there aren't things you need regularly (e.g. help, dump character, modify player tile, save/exit). These buttons could be moved to a separate panel or menu (accessed with the phone menu button) - this will leave more room for buttons needed in regular gameplay, and allow some buttons to be made a bit bigger. Obvious buttons like autofight, autoexplore, rest, movement, firing, and praying, should be very easy to press
  • The buttons could be overlaid with the corresponding keyboard letter - this would mean experienced Crawlers can instantly understand all the actions irrespective of the icons
  • The buttons have been lumped together in a big long line, as is consistent with other panels. However this doesn't help you visually parse the different types of button - some are gameplay actions which will cause your character to perform an action, some display information screens about the current game, and some are "meta" operations i.e. save game, dump character. It'd be nice to think a bit about the layout so all actual "actions" are in one place.
  • It'd be nice to have a new "abilities" panel or even combine these into the spells panel (as a separate line of buttons underneath the spells).

Here is just an idea for a keypad layout with all the important buttons easily accessible, and space underneath for some smaller buttons covering everything else. Actually we can cover the majority of important commands in a pretty compact layout.

I've included 5 and s on the same key, the idea being tap for a single turn wait, hold for a long rest/heal/search. Also z/Z the same principle.

Code:
    |---|---|---| |---|---|---|
    | 7 | 8 | 9 | |TAB|z/Z| f |
    | 4 |5/s| 6 | | p | e | c |
    | 1 | 2 | 3 | | ? | ? | ? |
    | < | o | > | | ? | ' | ` |

|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
    | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
    |-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 13:18

I managed to edit options and set tile_layout_priority to just "command, spell", but there still isn't enough room for both. Arg :(
I think we need to split the command panel in 2 parts. Many of those buttons are rarely useful.
Also, setting this option made the game a bit buggy. The dungeon area is completely black except for the player and monsters, but only when the cursor is over this area. Moving it to the right fixes the display.
When trying to move the cursor somewhere, I often misclick. Not sure how to fix it. I'll test on a 7" tablet, it will hopefully be easier to use. Making it usable on phones will be challenging!

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 13:30

galehar, I have the same problem, I've not changed any settings but the dungeon area is *almost* completely black - with brightness all the way up you can just make out that it is being drawn but heavily shaded - except for the player and monsters. Moving the cursor does not fix the issue for me. Otherwise, as my tablet has a full keyboard, I think it would be fully playable for me (once the shift key works!)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 20:58

First off, thanks for taking the trouble to have a go with the .apk - I'm quite impressed it got past the title screen tbh :D

Secondly, apologies for the rubbish hosting - if anyone can recommend a better place to stick the files, please let me know. Originally I'd tried to attach the .apk to the post, but it made phpBB angry somehow :(

I want to try to separate issues that belong with the port from those that belong with Crawl itself - for example, the screen being barely readable on the Transformer sounds like a bug in the Java magic that makes the on-screen keyboard work: a port issue. There not being a 'c'hop button to click on in the UI, however, is something that would need to be changed in Crawl itself (and might be useful for future tablet ports or even the desktop version). My intention is to try to fix port issues first.

Here's the port issues I've got so far:
  • shift hard-key doesn't work [Regnix]
    thought i'd get away without fixing that :'( [fixed]
  • on-screen keyboard typy-box obscures play on Transformer [Regnix]
    i can definitely fix this, although it might take a bit of trial-and-error; see if turning off the on-screen keyboard altogether makes a difference (it's buried in the SDL options somewhere)
  • there isn't a mouse pointer in "use touchscreen like a mouse" mode [mumra]
    there's a compile-time setting for this; i'll enable it and see what happens
  • [assorted other "touchscreen like a mouse" mode issues] [mumra; galehar]
    I think this is the "small device" SDL setting - try telling it you're running on a tablet and see if there's any difference. On my tablet and in the emulator it's in "poke to click" mode. Killing goblins by punching them in the face with your forefinger adds glorious tactile feedback that's missing from the desktop version :D
  • tap and hold for right click broken [galehar]
    For me this registers the right-click immediately after the left-click, which might go away by fiddling with the timeout settings (or might need fixing in the SDL library itself, in which case we're scuppered)
  • message area rendering broken [galehar]
  • rendering broken after changing layout settings [galehar]
    I'm going to find some settings for a Galaxy S2-like emulator to see if I can repeat these

You can define your own soft-keys with the SDL settings (up to 7), and place them whereever you like in the UI, so hopefully that should get us out of any short-term interface holes. I think that I can bake in a default set: I was originally going to use them for shift- and ctrl- click.

Finally, galehar: what's the best way for me to start sharing the changes I've made with the community? I'm totally new to this sort of thing, and Android native development is very different to POSIX stuff. Should I start a separate post in the Coding sub-forum maybe?

Edit: oh! also, the "Home" button (and any other focus-grabbing event, like an inbound call) should stop the game safely, saving your progress. This is currently a feature, not a bug :)

Edit 2: new version in the OP; this should fix the LSHIFT problem and supposedly adds a mouse cursor, although I'm not convinced it's working properly

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th April 2012, 12:12

frogbotherer wrote:Finally, galehar: what's the best way for me to start sharing the changes I've made with the community? I'm totally new to this sort of thing, and Android native development is very different to POSIX stuff. Should I start a separate post in the Coding sub-forum maybe?

Yeah, you can start another post in coding to discuss implementation issues. Keep this one to gather feedback, bug report and announce updates.
The best way to share your code is to create a clone on gitorious. If possible, #ifdef all the code specific to the android port, so we can include it in trunk like we did for webtiles.
Disclaimer: I have no experience with android development so it's possible my advices are not appropriate...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th April 2012, 12:33

Cool, i'll get to it over the weekend :)

I think the one wrinkle that we'll have is that, for Android native development, the code is compiled as a library and then referenced by a Java wrapper. The structure of the project means that the whole of crawl's source tree ends up buried in a sub-directory somewhere, alongside all its dependent libraries (SDL, freetype, etc., etc.). This is back-to-front compared to the existing versions, where all the libs live in a contrib/ sub-directory within the game's source tree.

I think the right thing to do is:

That way the build process ends up being:
  • git clone pelya
  • git clone crawl into the sub-directory
  • ./build.sh

Aaanyway, I'll start another post in the Coding sub-forum this evening with all the dirty details in :)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 00:33

New version up in the OP. This will:
  • make shift work, at least for shift-clicking stuff
  • default vol-minus to LSHIFT and vol-plus for LCTRL (for shift- and ctrl- clicking stuff; if you've already got the old build, you have to do this yourself in the options)
  • possibly fix some text rendering
  • possibly add a cursor (the option's enabled anyway, i haven't seen it working tho)
  • possibly fix some of the dark screen rendering problems (or maybe make them worse, I don't really understand the limitations of GLES2 on Android :( )

I suspect that hardware keyboards still won't give you capital letters, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Finally, the version of Crawl this is using is much newer (yesterday's trunk), because I'm trying to get a clean source tree up on Gitorious. As a result you need to delete the "dat" directory if you've used the old build, or it'll crash.

Feedback welcome! :)

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 10:50

Thanks for this, unfortunately I have the same issues as before, the dungeon is still very dark (but not the player/monsters) and neither of my hardware shift keys work. I made sure I deleted both the file and the directory you mentioned.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 22nd April 2012, 21:06

frogbotherer wrote: [*] [assorted other "touchscreen like a mouse" mode issues] [mumra; galehar]
I think this is the "small device" SDL setting - try telling it you're running on a tablet and see if there's any difference.

Indeed, tablet mode is much better, even on phones. I still think an hybrid mode would be optimal (tap to bring the cursor, tap on the cursor to click).

frogbotherer wrote: [*] default vol-minus to LSHIFT and vol-plus for LCTRL (for shift- and ctrl- clicking stuff; if you've already got the old build, you have to do this yourself in the options)

Oh, this is brilliant! I haven't thought of that. Butchering is easy now, yay! I'll try to optimize the default mouse controls to make good use of that.

frogbotherer wrote:[*] possibly fix some text rendering

The bug I reported earlier isn't fixed, and it also happens on my 7" tablet (although, it's the same 800x480 res as my SG2). Actually, now that I've looked closer at it, it's not a text wrapping bug. The first letter of the line is printed at the end of the same line. For example:

Code:
_ here are no items here.                    T

I can post a screenshot if that would help. And it's not systematic. Some messages are always ok, some always have the first letter shifted. Maybe it's related to how the game automatically uppercase the first letter of the message.

frogbotherer wrote: [*] possibly fix some of the dark screen rendering problems (or maybe make them worse, I don't really understand the limitations of GLES2 on Android :( )

Still bugged for me.

I've tried various settings, but I haven't been able to make right click work properly. I've been able to make every tap into right click, but not tap for left click and hold for right click :(

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 29th April 2012, 22:35

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 29/4]

New build in the OP, phew!

Here's what's different:
  • hard keyboards work now, including shift-keys. ctrl-keys might work too, i didn't think to try that though
  • graphics are no longer trashed when the semi-transparent buttons are enabled (or at least: I fixed something that was definitely broken, although I can't conclusively prove that the problem's gone for good)
  • less glue, sellotape and bits of string required to build

Here's what's definitely still broken (port-wise, anyway):
  • tap and hold for right click broken [galehar]
  • message area rendering broken [galehar] <------------------------- this is next on my list; it also happens on the white tooltip text
  • rendering broken after changing layout settings [galehar]

... and here's what also might not work:
  • everything else :D

To get the hardware keyboard to work, you need to delete the file /data/data/org.develz.crawl/libsdl-settings.cfg, which contains all the config from the initial menu.

I haven't got round to typing up a nice complicated technical post in the Coding forum about how all this hangs together, but I've got the code presentable and up on gitorious here, if you want a nose around: https://gitorious.org/~frogbotherer/crawl/android-crawl

This is heavily dependent on pelya's port of the Android SDL library. I had to mangle it a bit to get the hardware keyboard working and there were some libraries that were missing. All these changes are on github here: https://github.com/frogbotherer/commandergenius

As always, I'm really keen to hear any feedback - especially relating to stability and rendering.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 30th April 2012, 20:16

Thanks for this, just a quick post to confirm that for me the hardware keys now work and the dark dungeon issue is fixed! Seems very playable. I will report back once I've got more time to play in-depth.

One point, despite your suggestion I could not find the file: /data/data/org.develz.crawl/libsdl-settings.cfg to delete prior to installing (even though I had tried the previous 2 versions without "uninstalling" them). I deleted the other files in app-data though and did not run into any issues. In fact my my /data/ folder (on root not SD card) was empty of any files, and I had "show hidden system files" ticked too..

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 30th April 2012, 22:25

Regnix wrote:the dark dungeon issue is fixed!

Yep, same here. Good work!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 13:59

A little more feedback for the 29th April version:

- Pressing either of my hardware shift keys dispays "Unknown command" on the message area, BUT it does register the correct keypress afterwards, so I am able to (S)ave or move down (>) stairs etc. However, I believe this "Unknown command" message is causing some of the other issues below.
- When brining up help with "?" you cannot access any of the help menu options on the left hand side of the screen. I believe this is because they require shift being held down (for example press ? again for a listing of key commands or ^ for macro help) and shift does not seem to work from the help screen. I can access the menu options requiring a single letter, such as "m" for mutations etc.
- Very minor, but he icon for the application is around 1/4 the size of all other applications on my tablet (and was on the previous 2 versions as well).
- I don't seem to be able to fast travel to down staircases, I believe it's "G >", the go to menu comes up fine but I get an "Unknown command" when pressing >. I hope thats the fast travel combo anyway, I know it involves > but I'm a bit out of practise!
- I cannot in(V)oke items thats require a shift key, such as a wand assigned to keyboard letter A. I have to do it through the inventory menu instead. I suspect once again, this is a shift key problem!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 21:32

Another build is on its way up. Here's what's fixed this time around:

• tap and hold for right click [galehar]
  • large assortment of shift-being-bound-to-f1 issues [regnix]
  • font rendering [galehar; me]

In order to make absolutely sure that the mouse and keyboard stuff is working properly, I've got it to force delete its config file on first start, so if it loads, crashes to desktop and then starts again; this is deliberate. If you'd spent ages setting up virtual keys in exactly the right places on the screen: sorry, now you get to do it again :D

Port-related stuff that's still broken:
    This is not going to get fixed quickly, unfortunately. I've discovered the reason that the pointer wasn't appearing anywhere is cos its display routines are all deeply embedded in SDL_Flip(), which (as we all know :)) Crawl doesn't use for rendering. As a result, I need to do some unpleasant bodgery to move those routines into Crawl. Or rewrite all the rendering code. Or something.
  • launcher icon is the wrong size [regnix]
    Thanks for pointing this out! I thought I'd get away with stuffing the standard 32x32 icon into the apk, but apparently we need 36x36, 48x48, 72x72, 92x92 and (eventually) 512x512. Looks like I have a happy weekend of tooling around in Gimp ahead of me. I'm not really a pixel artist (although I did do some web work a looong time ago), so any recommendations would be appreciated.

TTFN

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 22:00

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 2/5]

Thanks frogbotherer, you have fixed the shift issues and it is now fully playable for me. My tablet keyboard also has a touchpad on it and the onscreen cursor works great, though personally I prefer to use just keys.

Hopefully the mods will see this port and add it to the download section on the website, I think far too many people are unaware of this great port you have done. Ages ago I know there was interest in an Android port as a few of us were trying to play webtiles on our Android devices. Maybe you could also add this port onto Google Play (IE Android's app market)? I know the Angband and Nethack android ports are quite popular on there

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 22:58

frogbotherer wrote:Another build is on its way up. Here's what's fixed this time around:

• tap and hold for right click [galehar]
  • large assortment of shift-being-bound-to-f1 issues [regnix]
  • font rendering [galehar; me]

Awesome!

frogbotherer wrote:I've discovered the reason that the pointer wasn't appearing anywhere is cos its display routines are all deeply embedded in SDL_Flip(), which (as we all know :)) Crawl doesn't use for rendering.

Well, we have quite a lot of problems because of OpenGL. It would be very nice to be able to use SDL instead. I think crawl used to back in 0.4.
Dropping OpenGL for SDL would help a lot both the main version and the port. There's already a decent level of abstraction in the tiles implementation, so that should be feasible.
Would probably help with merging the android port in trunk too, allowing it to be easily kept up-to-date and available. So... You should look into it ;)

frogbotherer wrote:[*] launcher icon is the wrong size [regnix]
Thanks for pointing this out! I thought I'd get away with stuffing the standard 32x32 icon into the apk, but apparently we need 36x36, 48x48, 72x72, 92x92 and (eventually) 512x512. Looks like I have a happy weekend of tooling around in Gimp ahead of me.

or
  Code:
dat/tiles/stone_soup_icon-512x512.png

Regnix wrote:Hopefully the mods will see this port and add it to the download section on the website

Well, it's not quite ready for that, but it will very soon. A 0.10 version would be good too.

Regnix wrote:Maybe you could also add this port onto Google Play (IE Android's app market)?

For that, it really needs to be merged in trunk first, so we can maintain it. And it needs some polish too :)

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 23:04

galehar wrote:For that, it really needs to be merged in trunk first, so we can maintain it. And it needs some polish too :)

Yeah, I'm just eager for more chaps to play it! It seems that only me, you and mumra are playing/testing it!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 23:02

Had a look at the new version. The issues raised so far appear to be solved. Couple of new ones;

- The "more" prompt (in my case after levelling up) - tapping the screen does nothing, I have to open up the keyboard and enter the "space" character. I can imagine this being painstaking in a situation where a lot of "more" prompts are being generated (e.g. large battles, particularly summoner play). There are of course many other input improvements that can be made but this seems like a biggie to me.

- Keyboard input attempts to spell correct; e.g. entering my character name on the main menu. Can this be disabled? I've noticed many keyboard inputs on web sites and in apps are able to suppress spell correction.

Otherwise, things seem to be working great, and I'm really keen to start discussing UI improvements to make the game more palatable in general for touch interfaces. I started writing up a bunch of ideas for gestures and other improvements, but will there be a separate thread for these kind of ideas?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 08:03

mumra wrote:I started writing up a bunch of ideas for gestures and other improvements, but will there be a separate thread for these kind of ideas?

How about this one?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 12:38

galehar wrote:
mumra wrote:I started writing up a bunch of ideas for gestures and other improvements, but will there be a separate thread for these kind of ideas?

How about this one?

Aha, it was the thread title that threw me ;)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 4th May 2012, 22:52

Another new build about to go up.

Fixed:
  • launcher icon is the wrong size [regnix]
    I resized the 512x512 image to all the sizes that google wanted. I still prefer the more pixellated version of the icon, but it looks good enough and probably pops up at the right size now.
  • interfering predictive text [mumra]
    I couldn't repeat this on the Hannspree or in the emulator, but I've twiddled some bits that ought to make it better.

Half-fixed:
  • "more" prompt doesn't respond to clicks [mumra]
    Still can't be clicked on, but you can press the "menu" button for more instead. I'll stick the default keybindings in the OP so it's a bit more obvious.

Forever broken:
  • no pointer in "scratch 'n' sniff" mode [mumra]
    I had another go at this and it's definitely looking like a full-on switch from OpenGL to SDL to get it working the way the library creator intended. Doing that would also enable various zoom-hover modes and things like that, although at this stage I think I'd prefer to just force "poke to click" mode by hiding all the other options >:]

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th May 2012, 09:16

frogbotherer wrote:no pointer in "scratch 'n' sniff" mode [mumra]
I had another go at this and it's definitely looking like a full-on switch from OpenGL to SDL to get it working the way the library creator intended. Doing that would also enable various zoom-hover modes and things like that, although at this stage I think I'd prefer to just force "poke to click" mode by hiding all the other options >:]

I agree; that mode will be too fiddly even with a pointer. The real problem is that because the option is presented when you first start, invariably a lot of users will select it and then think the controls are broken (as I did).

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th May 2012, 20:56

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 4/5]

Another new build (about) to go up. All I've done in this one is:
  • tweak the initial settings so that it chooses tablet mode automatically (or at least: this is what it does for me in the emulator)
  • change the keyboard so that it prints a "Send" button instead of a return key (meaning you can just press "Send" to submit your keypresses instead of having to press "back" twice)

I'm not sure that there's a whole lot more that's broken with the port side of things. The only other thing that I've found so far is that some of the verbose text descriptions with dodgy unicode characters in (do we have to use smart quotes, really?) end up with upside-down question marks in instead. I basically took all the unicode stuff out because Android has no support for wchar_t. Maybe I need to fix it properly instead :(

I suppose after this, the next step is to start looking at how the mouse-driven UI could be improved? I'll have a look over how the little control panel thingies work, and stuff like the inventory screens and religion screens, to see if I can understand it and subsequently contribute. I'll also (honest guv) get that post in the Coding forum written up so that we can start thinking about merging the Android changes into trunk.

As usual: if the new build exhibits any idiosyncracies, strangeness or bugs, please bosh a post into the thread so I can fix it again :)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th May 2012, 22:11

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 4/5]

frogbotherer wrote:The only other thing that I've found so far is that some of the verbose text descriptions with dodgy unicode characters in (do we have to use smart quotes, really?) end up with upside-down question marks in instead.

We didn't implement unicode support just for smart quotes. We did it to support translations, and work has started on them. And also to have a wider set of characters to draw from for console, but that's a moot point for the android tiles port.
Adding unicode support to local tiles (both desktop and android) would be great indeed.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2012, 14:58

frogbotherer wrote:[*] tap and hold for right click [galehar]

What's the setting to make this work? I can't figure it out.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2012, 19:56

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 5/5]

The way I have it is left mouse click set to "Tap" and right mouse click set to "Hold at the same spot". The original config defaulted to "tap and hold" for left click and the two "and hold"s conflict with one another. I tried to fix this with the latest build by hard-wiring left click to "tap", but clearly it doesn't work quite right :(

I've got another build in the works that should fix unicode/utf-8/wchar_t/silly-non-ascii. I've switched to using the unofficial bootleg b-side techno-remix Android toolchain, so everything else might be broken again though.

Edit: new build will be up tomorrow. Turns out that output of unicode characters isn't even slightly supported by tiles :P To fix the "smart quotes", I've bodged in windows-1252 character set support instead by mangling the font character lookups it does as it renders text to the screen. Works well enough to let you put Euro signs and double-daggers into monster descriptions anyway.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 21:02

frogbotherer wrote:The way I have it is left mouse click set to "Tap" and right mouse click set to "Hold at the same spot".

Sometimes it works on the first try and then all subsequent tap and hold don't work. Usually it just doesn't work. At some point I think it just worked. Probably with those settings, but now, I can't make it work again. It was when you released a new version almost every day, and I was testing many settings each time.
When I hold, after about half a second, I get the blue mouse popup, and the keyboard icon move over the message area (which is overlay btw). Changing the right click "tap and hold delay" doesn't change the delay before I get the popup and keyboard icon, it's always about 0.5s.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th May 2012, 20:21

Right! New build in the OP. As mentioned above, this fixes quotes and adds low-level unicode support within the game. It might also cut the memory requirements slightly, because it's using GCC 4.6 instead of the 4.4 that ships with Android's NDK.

re: left/right clicking: please can you try a full uninstall/reinstall and see if it fixes things? The critical file that needs to go is /data/data/org.develz.crawl/files/libsdl-settings.cfg, but you probably need root to zap it. Or uninstall. The default config definitely works in Froyo, but I've had less luck in the ICS emulator. Currently I'm blaming this on lag tho :P

Next I'd quite like a go at getting more of the UI responding to mouse events (i.e. https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=5601). What's the protocol for embarking on such an endeavour?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 07:13

frogbotherer wrote:Right! New build in the OP. As mentioned above, this fixes quotes and adds low-level unicode support within the game.

That's awesome! Adding unicode support to tiles would be a good excuse to merge the android port in trunk too :)

frogbotherer wrote:re: left/right clicking: please can you try a full uninstall/reinstall and see if it fixes things? The critical file that needs to go is /data/data/org.develz.crawl/files/libsdl-settings.cfg, but you probably need root to zap it. Or uninstall.

I've tried uninstall/reinstall but it didn't fix it. I couldn't find libsdl-settings.cfg. On my phone, org.develz.crawl is in /sdcard/app-data. I've removed the whole directory but it didn't help. I'll try rooting my phone.

frogbotherer wrote:Next I'd quite like a go at getting more of the UI responding to mouse events (i.e. https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=5601). What's the protocol for embarking on such an endeavour?

Again, before hacking the UI, I really think we should merge the port in trunk. Can you #ifdef it, document the build process and maybe do some cleaning up if needed?
The process for improving the UI is: pick something you want to do, put a note on the mantis issue to let others know what you're working on and hack. If needed, post design and coding questions in the appropriate forums. You can also come to ##crawl-dev for help.
One thing I haven't put on the mantis issue is customisable mouse controls. It's a high priority, but it's also not the easiest. If you want to start with something simple to familiarize yourself with the UI code, I'd suggest improving the shop menu.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2012, 22:27

galehar wrote:
frogbotherer wrote:re: left/right clicking: please can you try a full uninstall/reinstall and see if it fixes things? The critical file that needs to go is /data/data/org.develz.crawl/files/libsdl-settings.cfg, but you probably need root to zap it. Or uninstall.

I've tried uninstall/reinstall but it didn't fix it. I couldn't find libsdl-settings.cfg. On my phone, org.develz.crawl is in /sdcard/app-data. I've removed the whole directory but it didn't help. I'll try rooting my phone.

OK, I did root my phone, cleaned everything including the libsdl-settings.cfg and it still doesn't work. The behaviour is exactly the same as I described before, I get the blue popup. My phone is a Samsung SG2 GT-I9100 running android 2.3.5
I also have a 7" archos tablet, and tap-hold for right click works fine on it.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 13:00

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 11/5]

Drat! OK never mind, I'm tempted to blame it on the SDL library and wash my hands of the problem, but I'll have a rummage and see if I can find a likely culprit. Like I said: the emulator has the same problem, which I'd attributed to lag, so there is still scope for fixing it. Also, given that the library is used by other apps as well (SCUMMVM is the one that springs to mind), if one of those has hit the same issue then there might be a fix in a branch somewhere.

In other news:
(a) my patches for Android are ready for submitting to Mantis; I'm going to include the two Android-specific build scripts, but if you don't want them, leave them out and I'll put them in with the library stuff instead
(b) I have a mostly working x86 tiles build with proper Unicode support. It's not at all ready for prime-time (half of the font metrics are hard-coded, string_width just makes a wild guess, if you use more than 256 unique glyphs the app crashes, it uses twice as much memory for font textures as it used to, if the char you want isn't in the font you're stuffed), but I can post some diffs somewhere if you're interested. I'm not going to get an opportunity to finish it until mid-June though, as I'm off to Japan tomorrow
(c) I'm off to Japan tomorrow \o/

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 14:11

I just found this and I'm going to try to install on my Cynaogen ICS Touchpad tonight.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 21:31

Thank you! This is what I've been waiting for!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 6th June 2012, 23:19

I don't have a tablet to test this but should you get a phone version running I'd totally test it. I play on my phone through connectbot all the time.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 09:37

eeviac wrote:I don't have a tablet to test this but should you get a phone version running I'd totally test it. I play on my phone through connectbot all the time.

It works on phones just fine.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 03:24

Ok, I'll try it out. But I'm not sure how to install it.

edit - nevermind, google is my friend. I'm at the title screen now.

wow this is pretty impressive for an early version. I'm on a Galaxy S2.

Just in case anyone was wondering, here's how you install on your droid:

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/begin ... n-android/

1. Copy the APK file to your Android’s memory card and insert the card into your phone.
2. Download and install the Apps Installer application from the Android Market
3. Once installed, the Apps Installer will display the APK files on the memory card.
4. Click and install your APK files.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 03:52

Can we get like an official, stickied feedback thread about this in one of the more populated boards? With directions on how to install and whatever. Just to build some steam on this port. Crawl is a game that Android needs.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 08:52

eeviac wrote:2. Download and install the Apps Installer application from the Android Market

What? I never had to do that. Just enable "unknown sources" in settings/Applications and the .apk is displayed in the file manager.

eeviac wrote:Can we get like an official, stickied feedback thread about this in one of the more populated boards? With directions on how to install and whatever. Just to build some steam on this port. Crawl is a game that Android needs.

I'm moving it to GDD, it has no place in Tech Support. I wouldn't advertise it much more until we have a more solid interface.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2012, 09:17

Hi Frogbotherer,

Thanks for the work you've put in here, so impressed!

I'll just stick my issues here since I don't know of a better place. There might not be much to be done about them but worth asking.

Screenshot_2012-06-23-17-09-59.png
Crawl - Sony Xperia Mini Pro
Screenshot_2012-06-23-17-09-59.png (68.56 KiB) Viewed 50178 times

So, I'm playing on a Sony Xperia Mini Pro running ICS (official), which is lovely as I quite like the physical keyboard for Crawl. Unfortunately as you can see from the screenshot, the resolution of the screen is on the lower side of the Android spectrum (480x320). Is it possible to adjust the layout on the port? Ideally I'd like to trade the space the stats/items section has for the gameplay area, allowing the tiles to render at a bigger size? Possibly remove a few lines from the status window at the bottom too.

Apart from that I'm enjoying the port a lot!

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 8th July 2012, 14:38

Re: Local Tiles on Android (.apk Inside) [updated 8/7]

I've just posted another build:

Bugs added:
  • somewhat experimental unicode rendering support
  • added buttons for 'i'nventory, 'c'hopping, 'z'apping to the actions
  • added better touch support for:
    • eating from the ground
    • chopping (when there's multiple corpses on the same tile)
    • item descriptions (go 'i', followed by the letter of the item, you can click on the options at the bottom to select them instead of using the soft-keyboard)
    • toggling zap/ability/etc. menus between do and describe (click the header or footer)
    • never have to press space for --- more ---
    • ... (i'm sure i've added more)
  • enter on the soft-keyboard now is the enter key again, after taking it out broke some dialogues (e.g. multi-drop, whoops!)

Features untouched:
  • touch-and-hold for right-click might still be broken on some Androids
  • i've made no attempt to improve layout at low resolutions (phunktion: have you tried changing the font sizes around in /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/settings/init_tiles.txt ? I reckon setting some of them down to 8 or 9pt might fix it; let me know if it helps and i'll see if i can improve the automatic sizing)

My plans now are:
  • rebase the source to a newer version of 0.11
  • add clicking to everything that can't be clicked (shops! various find dialogues! etc.!)
  • fix the features mentioned above

For this message the author frogbotherer has received thanks: 2
evktalo, MyOtheHedgeFox

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 9th July 2012, 07:03

On my Droid 4 running Gingerbread, the vol+/vol- keys don't do anything. I have a physical keyboard so I can use Shift commands, but I don't have any way of doing Ctrl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th July 2012, 07:49

theclam wrote:On my Droid 4 running Gingerbread, the vol+/vol- keys don't do anything. I have a physical keyboard so I can use Shift commands, but I don't have any way of doing Ctrl.

Press * then the key you want to modify. Crawl treats this the same as ctrl+key.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 01:20

frogbotherer wrote:I've just posted another build:

[*] i've made no attempt to improve layout at low resolutions (phunktion: have you tried changing the font sizes around in /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/settings/init_tiles.txt ? I reckon setting some of them down to 8 or 9pt might fix it; let me know if it helps and i'll see if i can improve the automatic sizing)[/list]

That's helped a lot!

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 02:16

frogbotherer wrote: [*] i've made no attempt to improve layout at low resolutions (phunktion: have you tried changing the font sizes around in /sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/settings/init_tiles.txt ? I reckon setting some of them down to 8 or 9pt might fix it; let me know if it helps and i'll see if i can improve the automatic sizing)[/list]

This helped a lot :) It's much more playable with bigger tiles even if I can't read the stats. A bit of key re-binding and I'm enjoying the crap out of it :)
Next

Return to Game Design Discussion