Translations

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 30th April 2012, 11:38

Re: Translations

Grimm wrote:A post on http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/ might recruit some more translators.

Of course, and I'll do it when the system is a bit more mature. But it's still a bit experimental and I don't want to drive contributors away with a complicated and buggy system. Anyway, I'm confident that it will be ironed out soon.

TehDruid wrote:I see. Well, I just made sure that "backgrounds", "rand_all" and "unident" are checked. Also, about half of "items" is checked as well as a small part of "abilities". I made some changes to "monflee" as well, not sure how it works out though.

I'm sorry, but I've removed all the database files for now, so I've dropped your translations for monflee and rand_all. Theey have been commited to trunk before, so we'll still be able to pull them back when the system support the databases properly.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 16:15

Very sorry not having read this topic until now. I will help with Spanish very willingly.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 07:30

Hi, I already tried to translate crawl into Korean, and there were some product from it.

you can get code here, if you wants.
http://github.com/blmarket/crawl-korean

and screenshot is below. Hope it shows well in other PC...

I'd like to help translating crawl with both text and codes, because I don't want to leave my translation useless by time flows(maybe it's already useless cuz crawl's messaging system may change, but whatever :D )

also, there are so many koreans who will support translating crawl like crazy yiuf.

btw> I want to join mailing list, but my mail seems not accepted because mailing list is moderated. how can I join mailing list?

For this message the author blmarket has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 11:51

Nice. Are you using unicode? We'd really like to add unicode support to tiles!

Subscribing to the mailing list isn't moderated. Just put your email there and click subscribe. However, a moderator needs to approve your first message to the list.

You can already submit translated descriptions on transifex. For code, the best is to contact kilobyte on ##crawl-dev or answer him on the mailing list. He just sent the first email about the implementation of translating non-fixed messages.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 07:01

I have just found a typo in ITEMS while glancing through the strings.

EVENINGSTAR

The spikes of this type of morningstar are exeptionally long, allowing it to cause invidious wounds.

By the way, I have a little question. Does anyone know how to force the translation maintainer's strings to be placed into Reviewed section, not Translated?
Using Suggestions is not too convenient, since they are harder to search for.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 07:52

By the way:
remember to use the built-in Glossary for easier translation of such terms as "piety" (which is interpreted by Russian players in alotta ways, mostly distorted).

It can be found in any "TRANSLATE NOW" screen:
Снимок экрана-32.png
Снимок экрана-32.png (18.68 KiB) Viewed 21529 times

The only inconvenience there I found is that if the term is added, you cannot remove it. However, you can add and remove definitions, and vote for those you find suitable or unsuitable. A must for a good translation project.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

For this message the author MyOtheHedgeFox has received thanks:
CommanderC

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 15:36

Excuse me for the stupid question, but what is the difference between Translators and Reviewers in Transifex in their permissions and available features?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 15:42

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Excuse me for the stupid question, but what is the difference between Translators and Reviewers in Transifex in their permissions and available features?

Coordinators have permissions to "review" translations (it's a checkbox in the translation interface). Only reviewed translations are pulled into trunk.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 16:36

Aha! Thank you!

By the way, guys: we have concocted quite a list of tricky terms and phrases in Russian glossary. Check it out if you want to steal a few ideas on what to add there.
To find it, open your glossary and switch its language to Russian.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 19:29

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Aha! Thank you!

By the way, guys: we have concocted quite a list of tricky terms and phrases in Russian glossary. Check it out if you want to steal a few ideas on what to add there.
To find it, open your glossary and switch its language to Russian.

Hey, thanks. Actually, we don't even need to switch language, apparently adding terms automatically add them to all languages. Also, a few of them have russian in parentheses and fighting has a typo.
I see you've recruited quite a team! There can be more than one coordinator per team, in case you need help reviewing others' work. I think you can give coordinator permissions to your team members yourself.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 20:01

galehar wrote:Hey, thanks. Actually, we don't even need to switch language, apparently adding terms automatically add them to all languages. Also, a few of them have russian in parentheses and fighting has a typo.

Whoops... :oops:
Could you please fix these two things without removing the already estabilished entries?
The Russian "навык" used in most of these terms mean "skill".

galehar wrote:I see you've recruited quite a team! There can be more than one coordinator per team, in case you need help reviewing others' work. I think you can give coordinator permissions to your team members yourself.

I will promote the best Translators to Reviewers and Coordinators once I see who is worth what. =)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 20:41

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
galehar wrote:Hey, thanks. Actually, we don't even need to switch language, apparently adding terms automatically add them to all languages. Also, a few of them have russian in parentheses and fighting has a typo.

Whoops... :oops:
Could you please fix these two things without removing the already estabilished entries?
The Russian "навык" used in most of these terms mean "skill".

Looking at the forum, it seems I should be able to (and so should the author of those glossary entries), but I have looked everywhere and can't find how.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2012, 05:54

It is not exactly their forum. =)
Added a more precise question to yours, Galehar, just to be safe.
Also, perhaps it would be better to ask this question in a separate entry? This one is marked as "answered", after all, and might have lower priority.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2012, 08:16

https://getsatisfaction.com/indifex/top ... efinitions

And, immediately, a reply!

Ratnadeep Debnath (Employee)

Hi,

Glossary v2 is about to be released in a few days. It comes with a lot of new enhancements. It will allow maintainers to delete/edit terms too.

Stay tuned for updates!

Not quite by the way, is it possible to make a few separate Tavern rooms for translators? :roll: The Discussions tab offered by Transifex looks inferior to forum -- at least in terms of convenience, and I think flooding Strangers' Corner with these topics would be a bad idea.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2012, 14:03

Added all the titles for branches, portals and wizlabs to the Glossary.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 07:12

I'm pretty excited to see a Finnish translation in the works too! I hope to contribute once I have the time.

--Eino

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2012, 09:26

I could help with German and Spanish. Can i start translating immediately or do i have to wait until my request to join the group has been accepted?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2012, 09:51

MacChris wrote:I could help with German and Spanish. Can i start translating immediately or do i have to wait until my request to join the group has been accepted?

You need to be accepted first. I'll let the team coordinators handle it. The spanish team is quite active, so they will probably accept you soon. I'm not sure if bigyellowcactus (german) is really active. He has never reviewed any of the few translations which have been done. If you want to, I can make you coordinator for german (or anyone else who ask).

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2012, 10:53

Yes, please. My account on transifex is "chris.cameron0", i somehow managed to sign in with my gmail account. :roll:

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2012, 11:31

MacChris wrote:Yes, please. My account on transifex is "chris.cameron0", i somehow managed to sign in with my gmail account. :roll:

Done, you're a coordinator. You can start by reviewing existing translations :)
You can ask the support to change your username if you want. I did.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 06:25

Fellow Russian translators: I will be unavailable for almost twenty days, and will not be able to work with the l18n because of that.
In order to make up for it, I have promoted cbagpipe to Coordinator status.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2012, 11:33

Native Chinese here. I'd like to help the translation, but my programming knowledge is practically nonexistent; I hope that's not too much of a problem. :)

For this message the author Scalding Steam has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2012, 12:23

Fortunately programming skills are not required.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th June 2012, 07:59

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:I have just found a typo in ITEMS while glancing through the strings.

EVENINGSTAR

The spikes of this type of morningstar are exeptionally long, allowing it to cause invidious wounds.

Corrected.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 9th June 2012, 13:29

Hi there, i'd be pleased to help in translation to russian. I'm on my holidays between terms of studying in university, thus, I have some time to spend:) and intinsic enthusiasm, of course.

PM me please, what i have to do to join the work.
Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th June 2012, 18:40

sakr_kh wrote:Hi there, i'd be pleased to help in translation to russian. I'm on my holidays between terms of studying in university, thus, I have some time to spend:) and intinsic enthusiasm, of course.

PM me please, what i have to do to join the work.

Sign up at https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/dcss/ and send a request to join the Russian team.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 00:18

Is an older version of texts used for the translation? The reason I'm asking is because branches> Elven Halls description has this line:
"The Elven Halls are three levels deep.", while it's "five levels deep" on Webtiles help.

Edit: there are dwarven hall/spider's nest/hive descriptions, too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 06:22

Yeah the stuff on Transifex is from stable, which is before Elf got cut, and the rest. I'd just go ahead and translate it as is and it will eventually get updated when the new version comes out.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 10:17

No, it's the other way around. Transifex has trunk text (although not always latest). Webtiles is still 0.10 with a 5 level Elf.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 16:48

I stand corrected.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 17:51

Thanks, will just translate as is.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 13:29

Noticed that English version is also being improved on. The few changed texts I read sound better. It's just - they'll have to be re-translated for other languages, right? What are the plans for English version? Full sweep? Only certain bits? Just trying to see how to save some time here :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 20:14

Only certain bits will be changed in English. A lot was done on the spreadsheet - monsters is pretty much finished, items about halfway. The other parts are at varying stages of completion. English will never be 100%, and I don't have a clear idea exactly how much is left to be done, in a large part because the spreadsheets were organized differently.

At any rate all the new English texts will have to go to to the devs and get approved/shot down by them, then patched into the game, and THEN they will show up back on Transifex as the new source text (Australian). That will take a while. I would just go ahead and translate what's there and wait for changes to arrive. Unless someone else has a better idea?

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 23:04

Thank you, that clears it up. If the process is slow it doesn't matter as much. I'll just take monsters, and if anything else comes up meanwhile, even better :)

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 13:40

When can we start translating the in-game messages? Are there any particular reasons why the devs haven't put them up on Transifex yet?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 13:45

When can we start translating the in-game messages? Are there any particular reasons why the devs haven't put them up on Transifex yet?

They're not abstracted out into files full of strings yet. A lot of the in-game messages are dynamically constructed in code, and will need to have a 'grammar engine' or something built to make them translatable.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 12:51

Ah, I see. Well then, I just wish the in-game messages should be ready when I'm done with translating descriptions.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 14:29

AFAIK getting more things translatable is very high on the 0.12 agenda, but first 0.11 needs to be prepared for release. Also getting the whole grammar thing right wont be easy. Some planning has been done, but I think there are a few problems remaining. And of course actually replacing all the messages in the code with database lookups and transforming all the grammar things currently done in the code to the new format will be a huge amount of work. This will definitely take a while.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Scalding Steam

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 13:20

Transifex news:

Today’s update brings a brand-new, full-fledged version of the glossary!

Here is a list of some of the highlights:
More information is stored for each entry of the glossary, making it more useful to translators. Additionally, all terms defined in the glossary are now highlighted in lotte.
Users can download glossaries as CSV files.
Project owners can share their glossaries between projects. This makes possible to reuse glossaries among projects and benefit from the collective effort of their translators.

As always, the changes come with an updated look & feel and an enhanced UI.

More details can be found in the documentation.

http://help.transifex.com/features/glossary.html

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 15:38

I've resumed my work on translations. Transifex has updated the glossary feature, and I've been cleaning it up a bit. I've removed god names from it, because I don't think they should be translated (with the exception of TSO).
I've also removed wizlab names, because I really don't see the point in having them in the glossary. The point of it is to provide a consistent translations for words which are going to be used in many strings. This isn't the case of wizlab names. I'll probably also remove portal and branch names, although I might keep a few if I think they are relevant. I will also remove all bracketed prefixes, because they don't play nice with the new highlighting feature (a name which is present in the glossary is bolded in the source text).

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2012, 11:40

galehar wrote:I've removed god names from it, because I don't think they should be translated (with the exception of TSO).

I strongly disagree. Some languages does not use the Latin alphabet at all; I, for one, do not want to have more Latin letters in my translation than it's absolutely necessary. Also, having some god names translated and others untouched feels weird as HELL, especially if the target language doesn't even use the Latin alphabet: imagine walking into a temple and find altars to Trog, Makhleb and "光明神". For what it's worth, I refer to the glossary to look up the translation of god names in nearly every translate session of mine, but rarely had I checked the glossary to look up the translation of other things.

I also disagree about removing branch/portal names from the glossary. I certainly don't think the glossary as it is is so bloated that you have to remove a bunch of often used strings from it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2012, 13:39

Most god names would be transliterated, right? Махлеб, Трог, and so on for Russian.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2012, 14:13

Right, haven't thought about languages without Latin alphabet, sorry. I guess having god names in the glossary might be useful for some of them. TSO is an exception because his name is made of english words, so it would be weird not to translate it. Other god names don't even sound english, so I see no reason to translate them other than alphabet problems. But then, it's a transliteration, not a translation, right?
Most portal and branch names aren't present anywhere else than in their own description, so I still don't see the point in having them in the glossary (except for those who are present elsewhere of course).

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2012, 14:29

I can help out with the french translation, I have already made an account (Flun) and requested to join.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 11:59

galehar wrote:Most portal and branch names aren't present anywhere else than in their own description, so I still don't see the point in having them in the glossary (except for those who are present elsewhere of course).

The Vault walls have an distinct description from other walls. Bazaars are mentioned in Trowel cards' description. I'm sure there're other examples of branch/portal names appearing in places other than their own descriptions, but I can't be bothered to check.

Yes, the branch/portal names in glossary are rarely useful, but I certainly don't think this is enough reason to remove them, especially since there exists much worse offenders. (*cough* Traps & Doors) Also, since the glossary have a search function, having a bloated glossary isn't even a problem as I can find what I'm looking for in 3 seconds anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 12:31

Scalding Steam wrote:The Vault walls have an distinct description from other walls.

Incidentally I'd like to see many of the different walls and floors have their own descriptions. E.g. Lair floors should be described as grassy or thickly mossed, Crypt as dusty, etc.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 15:26

I can help with Italian translation (I'm a native Italian speaker).
But reading the whole thread I did not understand which is the tool choosen for the job, did I miss a summary post or there's nothing set yet?
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 16:08

palin wrote:I can help with Italian translation (I'm a native Italian speaker).
But reading the whole thread I did not understand which is the tool choosen for the job, did I miss a summary post or there's nothing set yet?

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/dcss/

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
palin

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 19:40

galehar wrote:
palin wrote:I can help with Italian translation (I'm a native Italian speaker).

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/dcss/

Thanks. May I suggest to edit the first post in this thread to reflect the decisions taken? It could be of help to others.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 19:53

palin wrote:Thanks. May I suggest to edit the first post in this thread to reflect the decisions taken? It could be of help to others.

This post is intended to be of help; I'll put a link to it in the first post of this thread.
PreviousNext

Return to Contributions