Merfolk Hunters / start with spear ?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 20:22

Merfolk Hunters / start with spear ?

So i started a MFHU recently even though it was not "recommended".

I started with Javelins and grabbed a spear, this build rocks !

If the developers changed the starting weapon to a spear for MF I believe this could be a recommended build.

The skill in throwing for MF is zero - however they start with skill lvl 4 which is more then enough to hit targets early game.

what do you guys think ?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 20:34

Re: Merfolk Hunters / start with spear ?

Hunters are (theoretically) ranged. They should not get a good melee weapon from the beginning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 20:48

And really, the reason your MfHu rocks is that you "grabbed a spear" for your character with +4 aptitude in Polearms. Had you not gotten so lucky as to find one until after you ran out of javelins, you might have felt differently about the combination.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 21:23

I prefer tridents. You will too.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 22:20

Blade wrote:They should not get a good melee weapon from the beginning.

The only thing which makes a spear even decent is reaching. It's not a huge upgrade from a short sword.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 23:23

minmay wrote:Starting with a spear is better than starting with a hand axe, mace, falchion, or short sword. Making Hu as good at meleeing things as Fi seems a little off, by which I mean completely insane.

Now, now, the fighter can always be removed to compensate for the buff. If all it takes to equal a fighter is picking up a spear off the ground, then there's no reason to even have fighters.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd April 2012, 23:45

Yeah, but blah blah nobody wants to remove them for some reason

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 03:22

Blade wrote:Yeah, but blah blah nobody wants to remove them for some reason

Next they'll get rid of mountain dwarves.

I wonder if Spears should be reduced in melee combat effectiveness, but better for throwing.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 03:57

XuaXua wrote:I wonder if Spears should be reduced in melee combat effectiveness, but better for throwing.

Who throws spears anyway?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 04:40

ElectricAlbatross wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I wonder if Spears should be reduced in melee combat effectiveness, but better for throwing.

Who throws spears anyway?

Well, you CAN. I am not sure the difference between Spears and Javelins other than Javelins stack and aren't for melee, and spears don't stack and can be thrown or used for melee.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 05:02

Congratulations. You just said that you didn't understand the difference and then stated the difference.

(also, javelin has higher base damage)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 05:08

Even if Fi gets removed this would just make Hu a much better Gl. I still think it's a bad idea. And what is the reasoning the OP provides? "MfHu is a good build with a spear, therefore we should give it a spear" or "it's good to have a lot of recommended builds"? These are not exactly a killer arguments.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 15:53

Thanks for the replies !

Starting with a spear and javelins does not seem like too much to ask.

MFHU starting with spear and javelins would be themantic.

i don't think they would OP they start with low str. and int. and also no god / cannot berserk.

I don't see why they have to start with a short sword - just because thats the way it is is a bad argument.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 16:06

Hunters get to pick a ranged weapon, which is a powerful option. If you want to pick your starting melee weapon, you have to choose one of the melee oriented backgrounds.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 16:09

Frankly, I think we're already too generous with this "pick whatever starting weapon you want" nonsense in too many jobs. We should have less of this, not more.

Struggling with the wrong weapon until you finally find a piece of floor trash to train up the weapon skill you actually want is part of the game. :ugeek: (hipster smiley of arrogance- go!).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 16:11

It's not because "that's the way it is." It's because hunters have a very specific role -- that of primarily ranged combat. They need to pick up melee to support this role, at least in the early game, but their end goal is (theoretically) ranged.

Starting with a spear and javelins is too much to ask because that is far more than any other class gets. You start with a melee weapon and pick up stones/needles/bullets/darts/javelins from the floor, or you start with javelins and pick up a falchion/spear/mace/hand axe/quarterstaff from the floor. Every class has this dichotomy; the ones that start with both (hunters, assassins, artificers, etc.) have one that is notably weak (short sword, dagger, staff). Thematic doesn't matter. You're not a spearman/javelineer. You are a javelineer. You can (and should) pick a spear up, but you absolutely should not be handed one.

(also, base stats barely matter, and all that starting without a god means is that you have to wait until d:4 to grab a god)

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 18:44

While it would be thematic, I think Crawl has moved away from having species choice influence background gear. For example, KoHu used to start with darts, if I recall, making them worse than enchanters. This might be why some backgrounds now get to chose their weapon. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. I fully support effort to make Crawl more thematic in other ways, though!

The good news is that the MeHu's first gnoll pack, probably hanging out on D3 waiting to get pierced with a javelin, will probably provide it with a spear or halberd.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 18:59

I feel starting gear is kind of irrelevant, unless it is a book.
Other starting gear is short-term and replaceable.

The Zealot classes or Monk (bonus piety; should be classified as Zealot, IMHO) are exceptions; pre-worships are locked in due to early game death from punishment, and monks gets a great kickstart bonus.

What class does (mostly) long-term is determine initial allocation of Str/Int/Dex, and IMHO, that should be an aspect of race, except that it would make classes even less relevant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 19:29

I feel starting gear is kind of irrelevant, unless it is a book.

lesson of the day: don't trust your feelings, instead use other methods, ie thinking

If I really have to elaborate on this: how often do you find 6 +1 javelins and throwing nets or falchions or tridents or darts of dispersal and scrolls of blinking etc. before D:3, and even when you do, would you claim that that it was a find you could have counted on (if you do I find it hard to take that seriously).

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Dustbin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 20:15

Hunter and assassin starting gear is great. Fighter starting gear is terrible, and gladiator not much better. Axing one of the latter two leaves enough design space so there's at least potential for something worthwhile there, and we could mash everything that fighter, gladiator, and hunter gets together into one background and it still wouldn't be better than starting as a berserker.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 23:02

Alright, the original suggestion has been addressed as a terrible idea and the topic is just going wildly in every directions. I'm locking this.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion