Hey, hello! Need advice :)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 19:07

Hey, hello! Need advice :)

Hey, I just started playing Dungeon crawl stone soup.
I Like it very much! (farest I made though was my char getting lvl 10 or something XD), but... I still dont understand some things.
I'll just list them:

1- How does +x affect armour? What's the difference between a +1 leather body or a +0 leather body?
2- How come some artefacts don't seem to have any enhancements when I indentify them?
3- How do I get into branches? (Like those goblin mines or something...)
4- Assasin: Leather or Robe? (a.k.a. AC +, EV- or EV ++, something like that XD)
5- Just drink potions and read scrols to indentify them or do it another way? and why?
6- Basic aberrations, Like rF+, what do they mean?

Sorry for me being a complete noob, but I just wan't to learn. I folowed the tutorial and read some things... But I still don't get some things :P

I hope someone would like to help me.

greetz,

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 19:27

Re: Hey, hello! Need advice :)

Thank you very much for the response! this helps me alot :)

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 20:57

Another question: What is the best god to worship as an assassin?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 08:37

Just to add some points:
5: If you want to read-ID scrolls and quaff-ID potions, it is usually better to start with those, which you have the most. The most common potions is healing, the most common scrolls are identify, detect/remove curse and teleportation.
Don't start quaff-IDing potions until you can stand the results - (strong) poison and decay (rot) can be cured by healing, degeneration by restore abilities. These are safe to quaff-ID around XL9 at latest. Mutations can be far worse.
6: You may also want to know that rF, rC and rN from different sources stack, and can be negative (the inscription would be rF- etc.)
If you are ever unsure about any abbreviation, you may check the item description from the (i)nventory screen by pressing the item's letter.

And, the most important thing: Welcome to DCSS! :)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

For this message the author Zicher has received thanks:
actinide

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 16:06

Zicher wrote:Just to add some points:
5: If you want to read-ID scrolls and quaff-ID potions, it is usually better to start with those, which you have the most. The most common potions is healing, the most common scrolls are identify, detect/remove curse and teleportation.
Don't start quaff-IDing potions until you can stand the results - (strong) poison and decay (rot) can be cured by healing, degeneration by restore abilities. These are safe to quaff-ID around XL9 at latest. Mutations can be far worse.
6: You may also want to know that rF, rC and rN from different sources stack, and can be negative (the inscription would be rF- etc.)
If you are ever unsure about any abbreviation, you may check the item description from the (i)nventory screen by pressing the item's letter.

And, the most important thing: Welcome to DCSS! :)

Thank you :)

I just started roguelikes, but I have to say: I never had so much fun playing a game :D

Also great tips :)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice