POLL: How do YOU usually kill red Jellies?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

How do YOU defeat red Jelly monsters without having +Corr? Check only those you usually use.

via a missile/thrown weapons, preferably rocks, or ranged innate abilities
21%
via a melee weapon I care nothing about
14%
via an artefact melee weapon (can't be corroded)
11%
via a +5 damage weapon (can't be corroded)
8%
via an enhancer staff (can't be corroded)
2%
via unarmed combat or mutation/innate melee abilities
5%
via direct combat spells, ranged abilities from wands/rods, or non-Jiyva divine abilities
24%
via minion(s) (summoned or raised)
10%
by worshiping Jiyva
0%
charm the Jelly and direct it to die in combat against tougher opponents
4%

Total votes : 235

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 13:26

POLL: How do YOU usually kill red Jellies?

It has recently come up that apparently players are constantly beating Jellies to death with enhancer staves, like all the time.
Continuously.
It never ends.
This is totally a thing.

So how do YOU generally kill them? Assume you do not have corrosion protection for yourself or equipment (amulet of resist corrosion or cloak of preservation).

Select all the ones you were both previously aware of and actually USE on a general basis.

Even though I'm being smarmy, please base your choices on what you really actually do in-game.
Last edited by XuaXua on Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:19, edited 12 times in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 13:35

Re: POLL: How do YOU usually kill red Jellies?

Sarcasm does not become you. Nobody said enhancer staves were used for that frequently or reliably, just that that was one vague possible use.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 13:48

Blade wrote:Sarcasm does not become you. Nobody said enhancer staves were used for that frequently or reliably, just that that was one vague possible use.

Hey I fully admitted to being smarmy, right there in the first post.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 14:27

if it takes long to use an enhancer staff the jelly has plenty of time to corrode your armour instead...
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 14:40

If a jelly is close, I'm wielding an enchanted staff, and I know I can kill it in one turn before it can corrode anything, and / or I have preservation / I'm wearing acid immune equipment, then yes, of course I'll smack it.

The answer to this poll of course, is whatever the cheapest and most expedient means available is, contingent on how big a threat the jelly is. Rocks, branded ammo that auto mulches, wands, summons, un-corrodable weapons, stabbing, conjurations, invocations, whatever.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 14:45

Seriously, I only worry about them during the very early part of the game, and what's on hand that early is highly variable.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 15:03

Most of the time I just use a wand if I have one available. Hell I didn't even know about the enhancer staff thing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 15:32

I cannot vote in this because the choice of Use a wand or Use Naga Spit poison does not exist. I will also use Slouch if there are a significant amount of other mobs. Both wands/god abilties are not listed. If I am desperate or have resist corrosion I will punch them, but you can't really do that without it since it will corrode gloves.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 15:46

Like I said, it's rather uncommon to use an enhancer staff on red jellies, but that's due to a combination of those being extremely rare when jellies are still a threat and the fact most characters are going to be training some other weapon type. The only time I did it with any frequency was when I did Slime Pits with a caster who trained staves as a back-up since I already had my final main spells online, hungerless, and reliable and didn't have a lajatang yet. I'd melee the red jellies (and oozes) to conserve mana.

Anyway, my usual method (when they're a threat) is a sling, followed by wands, followed by spells, followed by melee with crap weapon/unarmed (mostly on non-casting Felids). It's worth pointing out that, since jellies are mindless, you can enslave them and beat them up without them getting annoyed about it (that or it's a bug I've done several times now).
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 15:57

Wands !

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 16:21

Wands and rods are direct combat spells. ON A STEEEEEK!

That being said I'm a big fan of the Dnyarri-style mind control and "Go and get yourself killed horribly in battle!" option.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
mageykun

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 16:56

tasonir wrote:I cannot vote in this because the choice of Use a wand or Use Naga Spit poison does not exist.

They do now, albiet lumped with others of their ilk.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 17:00

TwilightPhoenix wrote: It's worth pointing out that, since jellies are mindless, you can enslave them and beat them up without them getting annoyed about it (that or it's a bug I've done several times now).

Gonna be watching the trunk changelog for that one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 17:35

If I see an enchanter staff before I have a +5 or artefact weapon, I'll carry it expressly for dealing with jellies. (Or for jellies in low MP situations.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 18:08

jejorda2 wrote:If I see an enchanter staff before I have a +5 or artefact weapon, I'll carry it expressly for dealing with jellies. (Or for jellies in low MP situations.)

I think we all will now.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 19:36

I polymorph them.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 19:56

I like using reaching weapons I care nothing about, preferably a spear because of low delay, so it can't corrode my main weapon and won't reach my armour or at least only reach it very seldomly because of a spear's delay.
Often I just use wands or a non-reaching alternative weapon though because I don't care enough about minor things like this to make me go through tedium. Stuff like this also depletes my realtime and realtime is very important to me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 19:58

galehar wrote:I polymorph them.

"via direct combat spells or ranged abilities from wands/rods"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:03

XuaXua wrote:"via direct combat spells or ranged abilities from wands/rods"

Still doesn't sound like slouch to me but I guess I'm just being a rules lawyer now ;) I already voted for missile weapons (stones) because I've done that a couple of times, although it's not my first choice when I have wands available, and I usually carry several unless it's super early game and I haven't found any.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:18

tasonir wrote:Still doesn't sound like slouch to me

It does now.

What's revealing so far is that no one tends to worship Jiyva.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:28

I worship Jiyva but definitely not to neutralise an utterly harmless enemy which is utterly harmless because it's pure melee and speed 9 :P

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:31

XuaXua wrote:
tasonir wrote:Still doesn't sound like slouch to me

It does now.

What's revealing so far is that no one tends to worship Jiyva.

Jiyva altars appear early in -maybe- 1 of 50 games. Even more rarely, they will appear for characters who may feel like drastically changing their intended playstyles to fit a quirky god. Of course nobody worships jiyva as a means of dealing with early jellies.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 20:44

Go jiyva to deal with the zot acid vault imo.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 21:06

Magic Dart! Magic Dart! Magic Dart! Magic Dart! Magic Dart! Magic Dart! *turning to run away* Magic Dart! Magic Dart! You kill the Jelly!

*I wipe the sweat off my forehead*

*Shift+5 to recover MP* You hear a distant slurping noise. x3

"OH GOD I'M TOO LATE"
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

For this message the author SchwaWarrior has received thanks:
Zelkelion

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 21:20

Conjure flame.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 22:00

I recently did Jiyva on an up-n-coming Felid and the lack of experience coming to me was audible.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 22:23

Polymorph, definitely.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 00:44

I use whatever. Assuming I'm not a spellcaster that doesn't care about jellies anyway, I burn off crap wands if I have them, and just beat them to death with whatever comes to hand first if I don't have anything else handy. I might lose a point or two of damage for a while, but I'm sure to replace my weapon shortly anyway, and if I waste time and turns pizza-slapping it to death it will corrode a whole lot more stuff than some crap weapon that'll be obsolete shortly anyway.

This assumes I feel the need to actually kill the darn thing, instead of ignoring it so it can clean up junk weapons and centaur ammo before an orc pack finds them, of course.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 02:34

tab

For this message the author IronTroll has received thanks:
XuaXua

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 03:09

KoboldLord wrote:Assuming I'm not a spellcaster that doesn't care about jellies anyway

I'm almost always a spellcaster and Jellies freak me out ;_;

Even if I can take them from a distance, they scare me because I don't want them grabbing all the items! Let alone multiplying! :( Dealing with jelly-infested dungeons makes me cry myself to sleep. For every one I hunt down and kill there are three more being born halfway across the map x_x

Whenever I see a Jelly I take great lengths to kill it ASAP, even enduring Orcs on all sides for a few turns just to lure the Jelly back up the stairs with me so it's not molesting my to-be treasure stashes while I'm up one floor. Ughhh.
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 06:02

I cast my vote for seven of the listed options, including enhancer stave... it's rare but it has come up.

My favorite is conjure flame. I love seeing them creep over the flame columns, then finally try to run away by backtracking over the same flames that roasted them to start with. Serves the mindless little terrors right.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 14:29

The most important thing is that it dies before it eats my delicious shinies. I carry stones in the early dungeons until I have a wand instead.

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 18:37

Lately my best runs have been mostly UC users so I don't care about the extra damage I take when I attack unless I'm very weak. On a troll I most of the times can TAB them easily past XL:5 I believe. I do tend to wreck pairs of gloves on other UC users meleeing jellies though... :P Oh well. I'm just lazy.

On the other hand when I play something that and I worry about corroding my newly found dagger/whip of elec/venom/etc I use pretty much any of the things you've put on the list, depending on what the dungeon throws at me. As I said before, I'm too lazy to grab a bunch of stones and kite them endlessly, so i just dive deeper if I lack a wand or other means of solid ranged attack.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2012, 18:47

Grabbing a sling and training Slings to level 2 usually allows me to kill them pretty quickly without a whole lot of kiting, if any at all.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 09:42

Spider Form + tab. No weapon corrosion, no armor corrosion.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 12:17

I use almost all of these except Jiyva and the enhancer stave, it all depends on what I have available. Any character who has an enhancer stave would be more likely to magic them to death, I think.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 19:00

I've only had the chance to do this a few times, but it seems as though using exclusively reaching attacks on a trident does not corrode the trident? Has anyone done this more than the 10-15 times that I have and can confirm I'm not just really lucky? Makes jellies trivial since they move slower than normal characters.

Edit: Alright, my streak of luck has run out, my trident corroded. It's still useful for protecting all other slots flawlessly, but you do need a backup polearm to protect your main polearm from corrosion.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 19:42

Well, at the time I usually meet my first jelly, I really don't have too many op the listed options available - so I just use whatever is at hand. Nothing at hand? Just get out of there.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 23:09

hibernate -> stab

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2012, 21:42

I play mainly MiBe, so I usually just engage them in standard melee. I'm usually so absurdly buff that I can squelch them before they can corrode anything.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 29th April 2012, 10:10

in melee, stripped naked, wielding a book, screaming "The game is going to kill me anyways!" wasn't an option so....

I lost a LOT of promising demigod transmuters today...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice