DCSS 0.10 Excel Sheet of Reference

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 4th March 2012, 18:48

DCSS 0.10 Excel Sheet of Reference

Because I've always been one to have reference in a single, happy place, I've updated my DCSS spreadsheet to 0.10.

It's available at the below link:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/another-dcss-spreadsheet-update-and-longcats/

Edited Post; the above is now version II!

Now including an exhaustive graphical version of the aptitudes chart, which looks like this:
Also includes Base Stats for Races and Classes, Innate powers and mutations, demonspawn reference, class reference, gods reference, and a chunk of my biased personal opinions that you can take with a pinch of salt if you wish. As of version II, there is also a fully comprehensive reference of all of Crawl's 134 spells, organised by level and alphabetically, with schools, books, and backgrounds information as well as reference on usage.

http://detarame.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/dungeon-crawl-stone-soup-0-10-reference-excel-sheet/
More screencaps are also available at the blog post above. Don't want to make this a massive post of doom.

Anyway, I ~believe~ everything is accurate, but I'm counting on everyone here to find mistakes for me to fix, of course. :D

Any other comments are also appreciated, whether on formatting or content or whatever.
Last edited by eharper256 on Friday, 23rd March 2012, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

For this message the author eharper256 has received thanks: 5
MyOtheHedgeFox, nago, snmjk20, TehDruid, Zicher

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 4th March 2012, 19:27

Re: DCSS 0.10 Excel Sheet of Reference

Looks amazing!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 4th March 2012, 21:38

I believe that this might have posted in Dungeon Crawling Advice rather than at Yiuf's :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 4th March 2012, 22:11

Glad you guys like it. :)

If the mods want to move it to the Advice Forum, thats cool. Didn't quite know where to put it, to be honest.

As a side note, I already spotted 2 small mistakes! :P Oh well, I'll save up for any further ones people report and change them all at once.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 04:19

this is great :D no more browsing learndb for stats/aptitudes!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 10:08

Moved to DCA.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 17:29

Thanks for the move, Grimm.

Anyone got any suggestions for stuff to go on it?

I was thinking of a 'starting items/skills' column for backgrounds. This is currently already in the description for most of them, but a dedicated list wouldn't hurt.

Also, a new sheet for all of the spells might eventually get done. Maybe also all of the mutations. Monsters, however, is very unlikely as that would be a staggering amount of work.

I also guess, with Danr's permission, I could integrate the Weaponlab, but thats low priority.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 19:32

Spellbooks!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 19:38

Adding starting spells per class would be awesome.
(are they the same for every race ... Are they?)

EDIT: And please, rename this thread to "DCSS 0.10 ExcelLENT Sheet of Reference" ;)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 6th March 2012, 11:31

Okay, spell related stuffs will be added next.

As far as I'm aware, race doesn't alter the starting spellbook, just the other equipment.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 11th March 2012, 21:32

Yes, work is about 1/2 complete on the spells tab of the excel sheet. Here's a preview:
Spells are classified by level and then alphabetically.

Also, anyone know the base damage on Shock and Sting? It's not on the Knowledge bots or wiki. I'm guessing 1d8 like Magic Dart for Shock but I could be wrong. Sting isn't very high though, feels like 1d4 + Poison?

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 12th March 2012, 03:04

Skeletons are based on a weakened verson of the monster who's corpse you use (as are zmbies, although less weakened.)
Hydra skeletons, for example, are far from a "weak doorstop".

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 12th March 2012, 09:23

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Skeletons are based on a weakened verson of the monster who's corpse you use (as are zmbies, although less weakened.)
Hydra skeletons, for example, are far from a "weak doorstop".

Oh, is that so? Interesting.

By the time I meet hydrae, I typically have Twisted Resurrection online or some other replacement for Skeleton, so can't say I've used it on strong enemies. It still has the problem of minions not following you down and up stairs though.

Still, since I didn't realise this, I shall change the wording on that entry. Please keep highlighting the issues like this, people! Thanks!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 22:52

Well... 20 days down the line, and thank the gods, the Spells section of the Excel Sheet is completed!!!

Get it from this post

134 spells is alot to write about.

All of the information used is taken from the knowledge bots, and should be relatively accurate, but I'm sure there are still lurking misconceptions and errors in there; it's up to you guys to find them. Also, there is little to no information around on the maximum damage outputs of several spells; and I'm not sure how much I can obtain through data-diving.

I'll update the front post in just a moment.

I think I need to take a short break from updates right now, at least a week or so, but further feature suggestions will be listened to and added when I have time. It's a good thing that work is so quiet this time of the year. :o

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 16:38

eharper256 wrote:All of the information used is taken from the knowledge bots, and should be relatively accurate, but I'm sure there are still lurking misconceptions and errors in there; it's up to you guys to find them. Also, there is little to no information around on the maximum damage outputs of several spells; and I'm not sure how much I can obtain through data-diving.

Maybe I've made some mistakes, but the results seem reasonable:

And the gnuplot file:
  Code:
min(x,y)=x<y?x:y

stone_arrow(x)=7.5+3*min(x,50)/16
mystic_blast(x)=7.5+min(x,100)/5
throw_icicle(x)=5+min(x,100)/4
fireball(x)=5+min(x,200)/4
bolt_of_venom(x)=7.5+x/4

bolt_of_lightning(x)=5.5+(3*x)/10
bolt_of_magma_or_draining(x)=7.5+(3*x)/10

bolt_of_fire_or_cold(x)=9+x/3
iron_shot(x)=7.5+(3*x)/8
#orb_electricity(x)=6.5+(4*x)/10
#dispel(x)=10+(3*x)/8

poison_arrow(x)=7.5+x/2
crystal_spear(x)=11.5+x/2
ice_storm(x)=11+x/2
fire_storm(x)=2.5+x/2

#inaccuracy(x)=20+x/2

#flame(x)=4+x/10
#dart(x)=1.5+x/10

set xrange [1:200]
set grid
set key left
set xlabel "spellpower"
set ylabel "avg. damage"
set terminal png
set output "spells.png"

plot \
stone_arrow(x), mystic_blast(x), throw_icicle(x), fireball(x), \
bolt_of_venom(x), bolt_of_lightning(x), \
bolt_of_magma_or_draining(x), bolt_of_fire_or_cold(x), \
iron_shot(x), poison_arrow(x), \
crystal_spear(x), \
ice_storm(x), fire_storm(x)

#pause -1

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 07:58

Nice work. Some concerns:

Dispel Undead is level 5 now.
The resist poison spell doesn't exist anymore.
I think the resistability of throw icicle was lowered (the xls says 60% physical which I think is too high), but I don't have any numbers.
Phase shift is considered quite good (although I don't have much experience with it.)
I'm pretty sure conjure ball lightning was taken out as well.
I also personally don't think that's it's debatable that Summon Dragon is a much stronger spell than Summon Horrible Things, but I guess that's just opinion.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 08:21

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Nice work. Some concerns:

Dispel Undead is level 5 now.
I think the resistability of throw icicle was lowered (the xls says 60% physical which I think is too high), but I don't have any numbers.
Phase shift is considered quite good (although I don't have much experience with it.)
I'm pretty sure conjure ball lightning was taken out as well.
I also personally don't think that's it's debatable that Summon Dragon is a much stronger spell than Summon Horrible Things, but I guess that's just opinion.

Throw icicle/ice storm are indeed 60% irresistible.
Conjure ball lightning still exists.

SHT is more powerful per-turn and per-MP than Summon Dragon (and in my opinion overall stronger because of this) but it is not as good for constantly walking around with summons. Either way though it's not a big deal; if you get SHT castable you have won the game, just as if you get Summon Dragon castable you have won the game.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 11:02

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Dispel Undead is level 5 now.

Derp, thought I'd fixed these things already. :shock:
Oh well...

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Phase shift is considered quite good (although I don't have much experience with it.)

Yeah, I don't have any experience with it, as you can tell. It's just that it doesn't ~sound~ very effective.

However, I just noticed that some graphs are linked on the knowledge bots... hmmm...

I am right in saying that, assuming 30HD creature, with and without fighter, that +8EV is effectively similar to +8% and +4% dodge respectively? However, a 10HD creature, that same boost will be 22%~ish and 18%~ish? So I guess thats pretty substantial in the latter case. Perhaps I'll revise the xls.

One-Eyed Jack wrote:I also personally don't think that's it's debatable that Summon Dragon is a much stronger spell than Summon Horrible Things, but I guess that's just opinion.

The main thing Dragons has going for it is that you can have it up all the time. Whereas S.H.T. is going be continually draining INT if you do that.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 12:42

This is awesome! What I especially like is that it gives useful info without really spoilering the game (if you did a monsters one, I doubt I'd read it for that reason). Ta muchly.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 15:31

Moanerette wrote:This is awesome! What I especially like is that it gives useful info without really spoilering the game (if you did a monsters one, I doubt I'd read it for that reason). Ta muchly.

You're welcome. I'm glad you say that, because this is precisely the goal of the spreadsheet; allowing one to make informed decisions without anything massively spoileriffic.

To be honest, monsters wouldn't work on a big list very well anyway, so it's a not a feature I would have likely considered. For that purpose, the knowledge bots are best, querying foes on a one by one basis as needed; and in many cases also providing the sprite, something an Excel sheet couldn't.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2012, 01:35

eharper256 wrote:
One-Eyed Jack wrote:Phase shift is considered quite good (although I don't have much experience with it.)

Yeah, I don't have any experience with it, as you can tell. It's just that it doesn't ~sound~ very effective.

I've used it a fair amount. I find it nearly as helpful as deflect missiles, although that's just because my build is a melee naga who has high AC, SH, and medium EV. A boost of +8 EV makes it very hard for melee/ranged/spells to hit you, and combined with deflect missiles have roughly no chance at all ;)

It's not as useful on a caster because you probably don't want to put up 11 mana into deflect/phase shift, and casters aren't going to be exposed to as many melee attacks, so the limitation on deflect not helping vs melee is less important to them. But if you're writing up all the spells, phase shift is definitely a useful one to the right build.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2012, 01:43

Phase shift is very good. It's like ozo's armour but works for everyone and gives you more survivability for your investment.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2012, 15:54

Thanks for doing this, great resource!

Some things I noticed:

-Since 0.9 Shock and Lightning bolt can only hit a target a maximum of twice. However setting up a trizap or quadrazap path is still worthwhile in case the first 1-2 miss.
-Lightning Bolt appears to be missing from the spreadsheet.
-Shatter should mention reduced damage vs. Flying.
-On the Classes tab, "Priest (Zin/Beorgh)" -- should be Beogh.
-On the races tab, "No effect from potions" is Mummy-specific, not all undead.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2012, 09:46

Okay, thanks for the input. I'll correct these things for version III.

How did I miss Lightning Bolt... err... oh well. Also, didn't know you couldn't hit with all of a Tri-Zap anymore; probably why my AE's keep dying. :D

I'll make sure Phase Shift gets a more praiseworthy description as well.

Any other feature requests whilst I'm here? It's not likely to be done this week but I'm gonna have time next week to put some more work into the sheet.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice