Chei questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 21:54

Chei questions

(1) What does "Temporal Distortion" do? The description "Moves nearby monsters forward through time, relative to you" is not especially transparent.

(2) What kinds of "hasting" equipment does Chei disapprove of? The game says he disapproves of my +Rage armor, but he doesn't seem to do anything about it, so I assume he doesn't actually care so long as I don't activate the berserk? What happens if you wear boots of swiftness (or electric barding, in case of my naga)?

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 22:01

Re: Chei questions

1) From the knowledge bots: 3* Cheibriados ability added in 0.10. Acts like a very low-duration (3-5 turns) instant step from time, the result of which is that monsters will approach you while you're safe from their ranged attacks. Except when it doesn't work and they do weird things like flee, instead (except this shouldn't happen anymore hopefully!).

2) He doesn't care if you wear +rage but if you evoke berserk he will be angry. Quaffing a speed or berserk potion, running around wearing boots of speed, using a weapon with the speed brand or attacking with a quick blade are actions that anger him.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pixnaps

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 22:18

Not that it's extremely practical to do so, but how does an Sp or Ce worshipper of Che gain any piety at all? At least in the past they could make ponderous some armor to permanently slow themselves.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 22:31

rebthor wrote:Not that it's extremely practical to do so, but how does an Sp or Ce worshipper of Che gain any piety at all? At least in the past they could make ponderous some armor to permanently slow themselves.

I believe you now slow down as time passes and you don't invoke the wrath of Chei, so eventually a Spriggan would gain piety.

You gain more piety for killing things slower than you, so eventually a Spriggan/Centaur would start gaining more piety.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 10:31

You get slowed proportionally to your piety. And you can get piety only by killing things faster than you. (That's why SpSu of Chei is my hardcore mode)
A Sp with * piety will gain piety only from some very fast enemies (bats, bees), at ** you start gaining from centaurs and frogs, after that you become slightly slower than the average monster.
You can also start as a monk to get ** piety at start, wear an amulet of faith, so you won't have to finish lair to get ***, a bee vault is a real piety mine.
But anyway it's not a viable built, since the greatest strength of the Sp is speed, the best thing about Chei is slouch, and even at max piety Sp aren't that slow.
The fact that Chei slow down metabolism doesn't help SP since they are already at the minimum food consumption, and Sp have -1 at invocation.

For this message the author varsovie has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 12:49

Hmm, I had first figured the new Temporal Distortion would allow a nice alternative to Abjuration by allowing you to step out of time until their duration ends, but with 3-5 turns, maybe that's not too useful in that regard without many uses.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 12:55

Temporal Distortion is a great help for melee followers of Chei. It allows you to melee yaktaur packs and the like much more easily.

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 13:10

Temporal Distortion may also be a useful escape mechanism. For instance, if you want to go upstairs, but there is an enemy right next to you, and you don't want him to follow, after casting TD you'll sometimes find that the enemy is now 1-2 steps away.

For this message the author Wark has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 23:56

I managed to get a NaFi to 27 without realising that Temporal Distortion even exists, I should probably pay more attention. Luckily that char has 50 AC and SH so I was able to just tab through hordes of yaktaurs. Would have saved some piety from time to time though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 19:21

Folks, to my knowledge Chei is useful to casters > unarmed fighters (monks) > melee fighters.

Does nowadays Chei grant a non-challenging melee-fighter build (such as NaFi)? I would like to use Chei for a type of tank build with relative ease.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 20:38

Roderic wrote:Folks, to my knowledge Chei is useful to casters > unarmed fighters (monks) > melee fighters.

This is only the case because Melee Fighters don't make use of the INT bonus he grants. Unarmed itself doesn't benefit much from Chei, but rather, the calculations in several unarmed transmutations damage fly upwards from his stat buffs (i.e. Blade Hands gets about +14 or so extra damage per hit, Dragon Form does like 70+ a hit).

Roderic wrote:Does nowadays Chei grant a non-challenging melee-fighter build (such as NaFi)? I would like to use Chei for a type of tank build with relative ease.

Naga Assassin is pretty decent from my estimation, branching out with some evocations and other ranged support. As already noted, since you're going to be staggeringly intelligent, there is absolutely no excuse to not have spells with Chei.

However, the new ability, temporal distortion, covers for you if you don't have Deflect Missiles, and Step from Time is there if you get into a bad situation. And naturally, you have an unmatched tactical nuke with slouch. You need about 12 Invocations ASAP, regardless.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 20:55

Melee fighters can (and should) cast spells too.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 22:40

eharper256 wrote:
Roderic wrote:Does nowadays Chei grant a non-challenging melee-fighter build (such as NaFi)? I would like to use Chei for a type of tank build with relative ease.

Naga Assassin is pretty decent from my estimation, branching out with some evocations and other ranged support. As already noted, since you're going to be staggeringly intelligent, there is absolutely no excuse to not have spells with Chei.

What if your character is a muggle!?

Oh snap.. Player challenge race suggestion incoming!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice