So Octopode transmuter is the best combo ever, right? ;)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th February 2012, 18:24

So Octopode transmuter is the best combo ever, right? ;)

Alright, joking aside - they're going to be weak early on but once you get a good transmutation going, they can use things like stone form/stoneskin for incredible AC (for a caster! ;) ) while having *zero* armor melded to them. Early on spider form gives you some speed, and if you want to go melee as a dragon late game you could, although I think stoneform would probably be the most used.

Getting there from level 1 would be tricky, I'd probably start as a conjuror/venom mage and fight at range, then pick up more transmutations as you go. Sif Muna can promise you that or you can just pick any god and hope to find the books you need eventually. Anyone know how blade hands impacts them, if it stacks with constriction, etc? I think that having condensation shield/stoneform/stoneskin should give you plenty of defense to go melee, although the slow from stone form could be tricky. Has anyone tried this build? I'm pretty weak with casters so my octo conjurors tend to die before they even get 4+ rings, let alone start picking up transmutation spells.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 19th February 2012, 21:13

Re: So Octopode transmuter is the best combo ever, right? ;

I've been experimenting with Octopodes a bit myself, and you don't have to fight at range. They have enough stealth and the constriction thing going on that you can murder most early monsters pretty efficiently, once your Unarmed skill is off the ground. They certainly do better up close than, say, a Deep Elf caster with a dagger does. You're squishy, though, so you still don't want to try to melee things that can hit hard (ogres, uniques) - but then, that's true for non-octopodes, too.

Octopode Transmuter isn't actually so bad a combo, even early on... if you're having that much trouble surviving, you might try a Wizard instead, as they get Blink and Mephitic Cloud.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 12:17

Aye I decided to give the direct start as a transmuter a shot, and your offense is really, really solid early on. Not much will survive more than 2-3 attacks. Your defenses are a problem, but it's a little bit better once you get spider form online and get the EV bonuses. A lucky ring of protection or finding a buckler/shield early on is really helpful though. Still working on keeping one around long enough to get up to statue form, my last decent run died in a bailey when an orc knight had a few too many axes of returning and I didn't have the mana to keep him mephitic'ed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 15:14

http://imgur.com/TBL9W (not sure why the above img tag isn't working...ah well)

I'm starting to feel like we desperately need Cthulhu to be added as a new god.

Appreciates: You or your allies dealing constricting damage.
Depreciates: The world's continued existence.

Anyone managed to get an Octopode transmuter to endgame/victory? Regardless of if you started as a transmuter or a more general caster, just so long as you used some sort of forms to make up for the lack of inherent defenses.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 16:22

tasonir wrote:Image

http://imgur.com/TBL9W (not sure why the above img tag isn't working...ah well)

I'm starting to feel like we desperately need Cthulhu to be added as a new god.

Appreciates: You or your allies dealing constricting damage.
Depreciates: The world's continued existence.

Cthulhu appreciates your destruction or disassembly of traps, much as Cthulhu is trapped in sunken R'lyeh.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 16:28

I'd say that Cthulhu would appreciate being corrupted, if we were playing ADOM. Mutations may or may not sound good enough to fill this :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 17:52

As your piety goes up monster glyphs start to appear as something else (lost sanity). If you don't get the orb before a certain amount of time you lose control of your character as they go insane

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 18:56

Cthulhu appreciates your spending several hundred million turns in the dungeon so the world ends.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 20:41

I thought Cthulhu already was in the game. The locals just call him "Kikubaaqudgha" for some reason.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 20:48

Happy Corner wrote:I thought Cthulhu already was in the game. The locals just call him "Kikubaaqudgha" for some reason.

Blasphemy! :evil:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 20:51

Cthulhu also appreciates when you have an optional sexual encounter with tentacled monstrosities. (At least, if the Innsmouth incident is anything to judge by...)

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 20:27

I've been trying this out recently, dropping all stats but Fighting, UC, Spellcasting and Transmuting until I can get Ice Form/Blade Hands.

Smart move? Also, I was thinking of probably following Sif.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 20:50

gungr wrote:I've been trying this out recently, dropping all stats but Fighting, UC, Spellcasting and Transmuting until I can get Ice Form/Blade Hands.

I've been playing Felids a lot and Stone Form is a good alternative, except they have Earth at -2.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 07:19

gungr wrote:I've been trying this out recently, dropping all stats but Fighting, UC, Spellcasting and Transmuting until I can get Ice Form/Blade Hands.

I would say drop everything except UC until you become comfortable with your damage output, while getting a couple levels of Transmutations to get Spider Form castable by level 3-4. Once you're comfortable with UC, start pumping Transmutations/Spellcasting until you can cast Blade Hands. You can get Blade Hands running by Lair this way. Then you can pretty much do whatever you want until Zot. Granted, your defenses will suck, so you will want to boost those eventually, but damage is more useful than defense in the early game.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 17:16

My cookie cutter for all races:
Only UC until it's at level 5, then only transmutation until spider is at 5% failure. After, mix UC (focus), spellcasting and transmutation(focus) until level 12. Only exception: few levels in translocations if you find blink. After level 12, you can broaden out with fighting and other skills. Transmutations school easily gives all the utility you'll need until lair.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 19:45

Happy Corner wrote:I thought Cthulhu already was in the game. The locals just call him "Kikubaaqudgha" for some reason.

Lugonu is much closer to Cthulhu. Think about it, She has Mad Acolytes, wants you to corrupt the world, and has almost the same number of letters in Her name.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 22:31

Jabberwocky wrote:

Lugonu is much closer to Cthulhu. Think about it, She has Mad Acolytes, wants you to corrupt the world, and has almost the same number of letters in Her name.

Main difference: Cthulhu doesn't care what you do.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 09:57

On a more serious note, what's a good god choice for these guys? Being an unarmed and mostly armourless hybrid really reduces the number of useful god abilities, especially if you don't want to branch out into other spell schools until later on. I've been using Okawaru just for Heroism and an almost guaranteed awesome piece of headgear. Also if you want to use Statue Form with a shield you'll have plenty of good shields to choose from! I've been considering Ash but I don't really know how he works with Octopodes' weird item slots.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 15:03

rabidweasel wrote:On a more serious note, what's a good god choice for these guys? Being an unarmed and mostly armourless hybrid really reduces the number of useful god abilities, especially if you don't want to branch out into other spell schools until later on. I've been using Okawaru just for Heroism and an almost guaranteed awesome piece of headgear. Also if you want to use Statue Form with a shield you'll have plenty of good shields to choose from! I've been considering Ash but I don't really know how he works with Octopodes' weird item slots.

Jiyva!
Elyvilon is vvvv solid utility. Crowd control if you invest in Invocations, purification, and since octopodes are squishy it might be very handy to be able to pray-and-walk-away if you take a big hit and end up with low hp.

Thing with Ashenzari is he won't do anything for your melee combat, maybe if you really really need to spell power boosts to cast some defensive or offensive buffs?

/edit oops I posted this thinking you were planning to play an unarmed melee-focused guy, prolly of makes it harder for you to invest in invocations as a transmuter..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 15:25

Chei works well with constriction, or Nemelex because Evo +1.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 18:01

I was thinking maybe Okawaru until I clear out Slimes and then going Jiyva.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 19:27

Struggling to make this work, I can get to around level 9 or so but then I'm just so frail against things like Centaurs, Jelly and the like. Any tips? I've been following what Banei posted for my stat progression - I also threw in some Fighting to see if that helped.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 20:38

Always blow your scrolls of enchant armour on your current armour (hat, octopode) to max. It's not like you won't find more.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 22:27

At 9ish+, try to use ice form against hard enemies, unless they are using fire. You can clear lair and swamp with ease using only that transmutation (be careful of fire drakes!). With poison resistance from ice form, food isn't an issue. You may need a wizardry ring/staff at first.

Jellies: wands, sticks to snakes, throw rocks
Centaurs: pull into L corridor and fight around corner. If not, use sticks to snakes to reduce number of incoming attacks

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 22:35

For centaurs just use spider form, spider form is seriously overpowered when you can first use it. They won't hit you much through 20-30 EV (depending on your dodging skill).

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 22:54

Nevermind, died again at level 9.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice