Fear

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 19:36

Re: Fear

Well, I still like the proposal (that you had?) suggesting no consumable use by monsters. I guess that would solve half of the problem here. I can't say I've seen monsters override fear with ranged weapons, though. At the very least, it isn't something I;ve observed and thought "this is unusual."
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 00:42

Fear also makes monsters with polearms just reach-attack you once they're two spaces away, though they will continue fleeing if you move out of their reach-attack range.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 04:52

I haven't looked at the code for this (not that I'd understand a bit of it anyway), but my guess is Fear just puts monsters in the standard "RUN AWAY!" mode. And the coding for that has the monsters use ranged attacks once they get a bit away from you instead of fleeing indefinitely. Now with stuff with ranged attacks that flee naturally, it's kind of cool, such as when a Dragon flees a few squares and then turns around to blast you. But when you use the Fear scroll/spell, yeah it doesn't make as much sense.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 09:13

The first point really looks like a bug in the AI. Regarding the second, I think it's fine that they use teleport. It's thematic, it's an effective escape option for them and the scroll isn't that valuable. And you can even cancel their teleport with a wand if you really want to finish them now. For blinking, it's not so effective since they just do a random blink which could put them right beside you. Could be fixed easily by making them do SPELL_BLINK_AWAY. But you're right that it discourages the use of fear because of the risk of wasting a very valuable consumable. Maybe limit it to high intelligent monsters?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
jejorda2

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 17:15

Also, fleeing in blind, unreasoning panic is not conducive to evaluating all your options and weighing the costs of using a consumable versus saving it for later. The scroll description just says it causes great fear in those who see the one who reads it. Why shouldn't that be gibbering terror instead of "Ahhh! Kill it with fire!"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 14:29

galehar wrote:You can even cancel their teleport with a wand if you really want to finish them now.

For some infathomable reason, I always assumed wands of teleport only worked on the player. Using them on enemies could make so much sense sometimes.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 17:15

jejorda2 wrote:
galehar wrote:You can even cancel their teleport with a wand if you really want to finish them now.

For some infathomable reason, I always assumed wands of teleport only worked on the player. Using them on enemies could make so much sense sometimes.

IIRC, they can resist it. Very annoying when you point one at a goblin and waste 2 charges instead of just 1.

Return to Game Design Discussion