The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 19:06

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

No, you can wear an amulet of stasis, a ring of controlled teleport (though this will make you glow and is a pain in the ass when the levels mainly consist of narrow corridors), or chug regular mutation pots and pray.

If it's late in the game, you can worship Jiyva or Zin (will need a lot of gold for the latter's curing).

For this message the author defen has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 19:47

defen wrote:No, you can wear an amulet of stasis

this is what I've been doing, it's definitely not ideal and you need to remember when to swap it out (to get away, or because clarity/rmut will prevent something worse than a teleport)

Q: will a ring of slaying reveal its bonuses after using it for a while? How about if you don't even know that it's slaying?
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 20:49

rchandra wrote:Q: will a ring of slaying reveal its bonuses after using it for a while? How about if you don't even know that it's slaying?

No, jewellery types that don't fully ID on-equip need to be identified by scroll.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
rchandra

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 26th February 2012, 21:56

Just a little clarification: you can Id most of the jewellery, which doesn't auto-id on equip, through actions that reveal their property. For example, casting an ice-school spell identifies ring of fire/ice, teleporting identifies ring of c-tele and so on...
Normally I don't find really important to save id-scrolls using this way to Id rings and amulets, but it can be really useful in games where RNG decides to make id-scrolls the most rare kind.
Oh, there is some jewellery which can be identify *only* by scroll, like the already mentioned ring of slaying!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 01:43

Do daggers of of electrocution make more noise than an unbranded weapon?

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 02:08

Should I remove my robe as a monk in the early game, or does light armor like that not penalize damage etc.?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 02:19

ClefAria wrote:Should I remove my robe as a monk in the early game, or does light armor like that not penalize damage etc.?
No, you don't have too worry about your robe penalizing your hit rate.
glyphic wrote:Do daggers of of electrocution make more noise than an unbranded weapon?
As I remember, electrocution doesn't make much noise except in water.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 04:23

Why did Okawaru just gift my Minotaur Fighter a -2 cap with no redeeming qualities? :(

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 04:32

ClefAria wrote:Why did Okawaru just gift my Minotaur Fighter a -2 cap with no redeeming qualities? :(

Because Okawaru is this old dude with a whole bunch of junk in his attic and he wants to get rid of it.
God gifts can be wonderful or they can be horrid, it all depends on the RNG, but if you stay with Okawaru for long enough you will get some decent or good armour, it's just that it can take a while.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 05:11

Is constriction considered an unarmed skill?

Also, it seems Lugonu's banner is broken. I've never entered the abyss in v.10 unless I was worshiping Lugonu. Bug?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 05:38

Somewhere, there should be a gateway to the Abyss. Find it.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 06:01

nago wrote:Just a little clarification: you can Id most of the jewellery, which doesn't auto-id on equip, through actions that reveal their property. For example, casting an ice-school spell identifies ring of fire/ice, teleporting identifies ring of c-tele and so on...
Normally I don't find really important to save id-scrolls using this way to Id rings and amulets, but it can be really useful in games where RNG decides to make id-scrolls the most rare kind.
Oh, there is some jewellery which can be identify *only* by scroll, like the already mentioned ring of slaying!

Protection from fire and cold are also easy enough to identify unofficially. Cursed rings are usually hunger, and you can confirm this by watching how often you get hungry. Similarly, sustenance is also easy to identify.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 09:15

odexios wrote:Is Dex any good? I mean, I get that Int is the most useful stat for most characters, and that Str might be useful for some melee focused ones; is there any kind of character who would prefer a higher Dex?

While Dex is of marginal use, there is one interesting combo whould fully utilize it - SpBe. With all the corpse sacs, they receive gifts incredibly early (my personal best is D:3!). These are pure EV figthers, and want to increase Dex _all the time_. By the end, your EV can get into mid-50s.
Throw in some Stealth and Stabbing, BIA for tougher situations and you're ready to rock hard.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 09:37

Dex is good, I will take dex over int sometimes when I want more EV and I can already cast all my spells acceptably (honestly at levels 24 and 27 I'm as likely to take dex as int probably).

I basically never take str unless I need it to wear armour or if I'm beating myself up over carrying capacity (or if I find CPA, I guess). Even in plate you can have nice EV if you actually raise your dex.

If you go try a Chei game you should notice the extra dex for sure (as well as the int). The str boost from Chei is much less noticeable.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 09:53

ClefAria wrote:Why did Okawaru just gift my Minotaur Fighter a -2 cap with no redeeming qualities? :(

Probably because you didn't have any. You can choose to enchant it now.

ClawlessVictory wrote:Is constriction considered an unarmed skill?

No. Constriction depends only on size and str.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 21:12

How do I erase my macros in webtiles?

I made my 's' key pray, not knowing there really isn't another pause key, like 5. For some reason, '5' is mapped to long rest and I can't use it with monsters in view, which is frustrating for a slow naga.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 21:25

nago wrote:
Xion350 wrote:MfBe of TSO is relying on a rod of demology to cast abjuration, the issue is that the rod also contains two spells forbidden by TSO. I'd prefer to avoid the risk of penance only for pressing the wrong key.

Is there a way to put a warning when trying to evoke those forbidden spells, or at least to redefine their key-bind (uppercase ftw)?

I'm pretty sure there's already a warning that comes after you try to cast it, just like there is when you attack an ally.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 21:34

glyphic wrote:How do I erase my macros in webtiles?

I made my 's' key pray, not knowing there really isn't another pause key, like 5. For some reason, '5' is mapped to long rest and I can't use it with monsters in view, which is frustrating for a slow naga.

*d
That's asterisk/star/shift-8 on a US keyboard followed by d.
Then follow the prompts.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
glyphic

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th February 2012, 21:47

glyphic wrote:I made my 's' key pray, not knowing there really isn't another pause key, like 5. For some reason, '5' is mapped to long rest and I can't use it with monsters in view, which is frustrating for a slow naga.

You can also press . to pass one turn.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 04:01

Apologies for the late reply.

rchandra wrote:Armour's effect on you uses Armour/45 in the calculation, so even for leather armour you cannot completely remove the penalties. You may have been thinking of shields, as for normal races 5 Shields will eliminate penalties for a buckler.

the details are in http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=aevp, which is linked to from "armour skill"

sir_laser wrote:Here's a thread discussing armor on a spellcaster.

crate wrote:Your EV penalty for spellcasting purposes is reduced by 0.8, so if you are wearing leather without a shield penalty you will remove the (nearly unnoticeable to begin with) penalty for wearing leather with 5.4 skill.

It is not worth bothering to do so.

Thank you all for your answers. Greatly appreciated.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 06:34

playing on akrasiac, is there a way to map the numpad Enter key to act like the normal Enter key? I can select it as the key to use in ~m (described as '\{-1010}', normal Enter is \{13}) but if I just hit enter afterwards it says "Okay, then" as I've chosen to not macro it to anything.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 11:59

Under what circumstances is it a good idea to get Dex instead of Str? For this we can ignore primary casters since you'll want Int 95% of the time anyways. Other than the bonuses to EV, what benefits do Dex offer over Str? I recall in an earlier version weapons had something along the lines of "it's better for the strong/dexterous" in their descriptions but that has since been removed, does that mechanic still exist?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 12:17

The mechanic still exists, and is still irrelevant. The effect of stats on weapon damage is not that high, and the impact of str/dex weighting is smaller. If you need carrying capacity or want to wear heavy armor, get strength. If you want to cast spells, get int. Otherwise get dex, unless you are never going to train dodging at all.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Southpaw

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 12:22

Southpaw wrote:Under what circumstances is it a good idea to get Dex instead of Str? For this we can ignore primary casters since you'll want Int 95% of the time anyways. Other than the bonuses to EV, what benefits do Dex offer over Str? I recall in an earlier version weapons had something along the lines of "it's better for the strong/dexterous" in their descriptions but that has since been removed, does that mechanic still exist?

I don't know whether this is still true, but weapons included a number between 0 and 10 which described which of Str and Dex controlled the accuracy and damage output more (the higher, the more biased towards Str - e.g. short blades were along 2-4, while giant spiked club was 9). Unarmed Combat was (IIRC) 4. This would mean that EV fighters (doubly so if using short blades or unarmed) would probably benefit more from Dex than from Str. Obviously there are other considerations, mostly carrying capacity and strength needed for the armour.
Of course, if strength weight was removed, then all of this is moot.
One prime example of a combo that should IMHO always should go for Dex is Spriggan Berserker. Their starting Str is 13, good enough, they mostly use SBl (Dex-biased), they can not use most armour and larger weapons, and most importantly, they need all the EV they can get. At least that's how I won one :).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

For this message the author Zicher has received thanks:
Southpaw

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 22:14

So I should generally be favoring Dex to Str if I have enough Str to wear my armor of choice and don't have carrying capacity issues? Seems simple enough.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 22:53

So I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever seen the floor with the grid of square rooms with doors at the end of the corridors between rooms.
My Q is on early levels(non-melee char) is it better to leave the doors open or closed when exploring?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 23:20

cocofalco wrote:So I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever seen the floor with the grid of square rooms with doors at the end of the corridors between rooms.
My Q is on early levels(non-melee char) is it better to leave the doors open or closed when exploring?

That is an extremely common floor layout and it's far far more tedium than it's worth to shut all the doors behind you. Remember that intelligent monsters can open doors so keeping them shut has no effect. Very occasionally you'll want to trap an animal in or out of a room, or shut a door while fleeing from a ranged attacker (orc priest/wizard, kobold with poison darts, etc.).

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 00:57

Is it possible to disable 'focusing' skills, now that it seems to be automatically on? I just want on/off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:11

cocofalco wrote:So I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever seen the floor with the grid of square rooms with doors at the end of the corridors between rooms.

Leave them open. It takes a small amount of time to open a door, and depending on what you find in the next room over you could be returning back through that same door in a hurry.

Closing doors is for shutting out thumb-less animals and breaking line-of-sight with ranged enemies.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:34

Found an "orcish golden helmet". "Golden" isn't listed as one of the 'modifiers' for helmets in the wiki, and this isn't an artefact or anything, it seems. What does the "golden" mean?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:37

It's like a plumed helmet. It's just a descriptive element.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
ClefAria

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:42

BlackSheep wrote:It's like a plumed helmet. It's just a descriptive element.

So it 'introduces' headbutts and adds +2 damage to them? And it should be added to the wiki entry for "Helmet", shouldn't it?

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:43

Should I enchant more than one troll hide? Am I ever going to find a better one?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:50

Helms don't introduce auxiliary unarmed attacks, they only enhance the damage of headbutts. You need Unarmed Combat skill to get the attacks.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 02:59

minmay wrote:
ClefAria wrote:So it 'introduces' headbutts and adds +2 damage to them? And it should be added to the wiki entry for "Helmet", shouldn't it?

No. The only difference between plumed helmets, golden helmets, and helmets is that the former two confuse more people.

I'm kinda confused myself, now...you seem to be contradicting the wiki: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Helmet

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 03:13

The wiki is out of date, and is far from the authoritative source of information.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 03:16

BlackSheep wrote:The wiki is out of date, and is far from the authoritative source of information.

As opposed to...?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 03:34

BlackSheep wrote:Helms don't introduce auxiliary unarmed attacks, they only enhance the damage of headbutts. You need Unarmed Combat skill to get the attacks.

Spiked helmets give headbutt as well as additional damage.
TrCK:

DsAr:
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 03:56

ClefAria wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:The wiki is out of date, and is far from the authoritative source of information.

As opposed to...?

The knowledge bot is typically a better source of information. You can find it at this URL http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 07:13

What's the formula for player constriction damage?
TrCK:

DsAr:
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 08:21

From 0.10 change log:
* Escaping the Abyss returns to place of banishment.

Does this include Pandemonium? If so, how do you escape now?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 09:15

It does include Pandemonium. Now you escape by finding a gate back to the Dungeon (which are supposedly more common now).

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 11:02

Jabberwocky wrote:
ClefAria wrote:

As opposed to...?

The knowledge bot is typically a better source of information. You can find it at this URL http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots

Quickly noticed that all of the info there is just strings of text, though...no tables or lists, making it much harder to absorb certain kinds of information.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 13:58

Happy Corner wrote:It does include Pandemonium. Now you escape by finding a gate back to the Dungeon (which are supposedly more common now).

Often the random panlord vaults have a portal to the dungeon. This makes getting out directly much easier, at least if you can deal with panlords.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 22:55

ClefAria wrote:Quickly noticed that all of the info there is just strings of text, though...no tables or lists, making it much harder to absorb certain kinds of information.

Think of it more as questions and answers. You have a specific query about something in Crawl, you ask the bots. But, if you want a comparitive study or opinions on strategy, you ask here or check the wiki. The wiki is great, but you have to take the specifics with a grain of salt since some of the info can be rather old.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice