Stupidest deaths.

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th February 2012, 16:45

Stupidest deaths.

This is for those people that do stupid stuff and die from it. This is one of my dumbest. I made a troll death knight for shits and giggles and was pretty much on cruise mode. Unarmed was up to 17 and I had found an amulet of faith so I was getting minions left and right. I was testing a bunch of wands on a bat and wasn't paying attention to where it was and used an unidentified wand of fireballs. It exploded right next to my guys and set 2 of my minions against me, I think they were ghouls. Anyways they made pretty quick work of me since I was already hurt from the wand. What is your stupidest way you managed to kill yourselves?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th February 2012, 17:41

Re: Stupidest deaths.

Quite probably when I decided that since my TrEE was slaughtering everything, I could do vault:8 with out rN. I was drained to death by shadow dragons. Completely avoidable death, all I had to do was put on a ring of positive energy, but I died to overconfidence.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 12th February 2012, 18:36

Got poisoned by a kobold on D:2 or something. Completely forgot that I was a venom mage and so had Cure Poison in my starting book. Died from poison.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks: 2
rebthor, TehDruid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th February 2012, 19:51

At least a dozen times I've wielded an unidentified weapon, dropped it because its brand wasn't better than my existing weapon, and then died fighting the next thing unarmed when it would have been a piece of cake wielding my best weapon.

I've also come back to a character and forgotten my build, trying to melee something when I'm a summoner or repeatedly casting blink or whatever is in slot a when I'm melee focused.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th February 2012, 20:33

First monster I find is a kobold hidden around a corner just like ogres like to do. It's got a dagger of draining.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 12th February 2012, 21:42

Stupidest death was flying over a lake and not noticing that my levitation was fading. Plenty of mana, plenty of time to fix it, and just didn't pay attention. Poof drowned dead.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th February 2012, 15:24

HOPr, wearing a shield of reflection, walking over a pond to kill a centaur... an arrow reflects into a follower, penance, drown.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
snmjk20, TehDruid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th February 2012, 16:40

I sneezed and accidentally double-walked around a corner into an 8-headed hydra with a promising SpEn.

A lot of my deaths are like that, actually. I take that one extra step while exploring that raises the danger level from "Alert!" to "Well, I suppose I could try this and hope for the best. No? Darn..."

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 2
Konebred, TehDruid

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 13th February 2012, 18:42

I had a fairly promising SETm of Kikubazooka, and had cleared Lair which is sort of means it's time to get invested. Seriously the Lair is like my very own version of smallpox: I don't bother remembering a name until the character has survived it. So my SETm has cleared it and has gotten decent gear and (finally) some escape options. Ok, I think to myself, let's go find the Orcish Mines and pick a fight! Oh look, a randart leather armor. Better ID that later. Hey, there's Erolcha! Wow, I don't remember her hitting this hard. :) Holy shit, Erolcha has Crystal Spear :| Hey! Damn it crawl, since when has Erolcha been able to banish people :x

I'm definitely not strong enough to survive the abyss. But that's never once stopped me from trying. I'm blitzing through the sea of madness, spamming regen and hasting when I need it, blade hands slicing through whatever stands between safety and whatever I'm currently running from (which by now is a gaggle of Hell Hogs and a Profane Servitor). I'm chugging potions left and right, burning through wands and scrolls--I will NOT die, not here. Except the Abyss decides to drop a metal wall in my face at that precise moment. This is it, I'm out of escape options. Nothing left to do but fire up the blade hands, face the Hell Hogs, and go out with the taste of sulphurous ham on my lips. Then the abyss suddenly teleports me out of the melee. I, still on fire, burn to death in sight of shallow water.

Oh, it turns out that un-ID'd randart leather was +4 rF++. :evil: :evil: :evil:

For this message the author spillover has received thanks: 5
Arvor, rebthor, snmjk20, Sphara, TehDruid

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 13th February 2012, 19:31

Zot:5 with my first character ever to make it that far a MdBE. Fighting an OoF and have it down to 1-2 hits from me. I'm low on health too, but not "critically" low. I kill it and then go after some dracs. What I didn't see was the ancient lich out of LOS who casted OoD at me and took me down. There were so many ways to avoid this, most critically by getting the hell out of dodge after killing the OoF, either straight running or using BiA to cover my escape. Below is seriously my log.

120823 | Zot:5 | Noticed an orb of fire
120827 | Zot:5 | Defeated an orb of fire
120830 | Zot:5 | Blown up by an ancient lich

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 16:29

Passwalling when tryin to escape from an eidolon on dlvl8 with KoFE. No other translocations available. God you gotta love the OOD-monster vaults! Guess the thing that makes me and my death stupid is opening a secret door found in an early vault in the first place. Well die and learn.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 19:53

A 15 runer who had blitzed through every pan lord got a bit bogged down in a mid-ziggurat mummy level. I just managed to blink to the downstairs, recharged, and because that was the only fight I'd had to run away from in hours, I was pissed off. I decided that I could clear the level and examine the loot at leisure... I could not.
I got tormented and smited to death. For absolutely no reason. I just lost it. LOL!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 15:41

I had a +3 dagger of electrocution. I killed Duvessa, and I decided to wield her dagger of electrocution until the enchantments were revealed. But I misread the weapons list and faced a few Yaks with Pikel's whip of electrocution, with no M&F skills.

Oh well.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 20:34

Mackerel wrote:Stupidest death was flying over a lake and not noticing that my levitation was fading. Plenty of mana, plenty of time to fix it, and just didn't pay attention. Poof drowned dead.

Code:
487497 demonblade the Demonologist (level 24, 180/180 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Wizard on Dec 17, 2011.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Soaked and fell apart
             ... on Level 7 of Cocytus on Dec 19, 2011.
             The game lasted 09:48:50 (82795 turns).

(I had an army of dragons around me, was channelresting up to full, and stopped paying attention to the messagespam)

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 00:07

I lost my level 27 KoAr to orange crystal statue - stat death. I still dont know why I wanted to blast it. Confused, -5 INT... tons of potion of restore abilities and royal jellies... on freaking Lair:2. This was my first character that made it this far.. The feeling playing him, knowing that he is going to die in next 40 moves or so... and there is nothing you can do about it.
And the stupidest thing of all, that I have almost lost my second 27 level character to orange statue again. Fortunately, I was able to get out, which was extraordinaly lucky - negative INT, confused and deep water three of 9 tiles around me was deep water. At least I learned my lesson and have royal jelly by hand. This character later become first (and only) win.

Second "stupid" one I recall was Spriggan Assasin. I was just wondering around swamp... and get killed by Xtahua. Single shot. Full health. I did not even have the chance to run, figth - moved to his eye sight and died. I guess I must have waken him up when fight some monsters around... Fortunately, these things happen rare.
4 wins so far: MiBe (4), DrMo(15), HoFi(15), DsDK(6)

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 03:17

I just killed a vv nice lvl 19 ogre by not thinking at all while I fought some jerk throwing rocks at me. 99% of my characters die due to me getting bored/tired from playing for too long :O

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 03:19

forest wrote:I lost my level 27 KoAr to orange crystal statue - stat death. I still dont know why I wanted to blast it. Confused, -5 INT... tons of potion of restore abilities and royal jellies... on freaking Lair:2. This was my first character that made it this far.. The feeling playing him, knowing that he is going to die in next 40 moves or so... and there is nothing you can do about it.
And the stupidest thing of all, that I have almost lost my second 27 level character to orange statue again. Fortunately, I was able to get out, which was extraordinaly lucky - negative INT, confused and deep water three of 9 tiles around me was deep water. At least I learned my lesson and have royal jelly by hand. This character later become first (and only) win.

Second "stupid" one I recall was Spriggan Assasin. I was just wondering around swamp... and get killed by Xtahua. Single shot. Full health. I did not even have the chance to run, figth - moved to his eye sight and died. I guess I must have waken him up when fight some monsters around... Fortunately, these things happen rare.

How do you manage to be XL:27 on lair:2? Going back to a stash and deciding to kill the statue?
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 07:28

How do you manage to be XL:27 on lair:2? Going back to a stash and deciding to kill the statue?

I was confused by that at first too. Forest means that the restore pots and royal jellies were on Lair:2, and his char couldn't possibly hope to get there from the statue location.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 08:39

Forest means that the restore pots and royal jellies were on Lair:2, and his char couldn't possibly hope to get there from the statue location.

Exactly ;) the statue was somewhere around D:25.
4 wins so far: MiBe (4), DrMo(15), HoFi(15), DsDK(6)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th March 2012, 15:22

I found ego armour in an ice cave and decided to try it on. A freezing cloud appeared while I was taking off my plate mail and took me out.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
snmjk20

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too