CIP - DE Su/Ne XP27

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 23:29

CIP - DE Su/Ne XP27

Hi,

I've never made it this far before* and would appreciate any advice on both spells and equipment (and anything else that you feel appropriate).

*The furthest I made it is picking up 2 runes (and I've obviously never won).

Code:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

Dumbo the Archmage (Deep Elf Air Elementalist)                                                         Turns: 256728, Time: 2, 11:05:37

HP 144/144 (148) AC 27     Str 11      XL: 27
MP  50/50        EV 20     Int 37      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 13742       SH 39     Dex 16      Spells: 18 memorised,  2 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +    V - staff of wizardry
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : + .  m - +2 leather armour "Xaimangegh" {rPois MR I
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : +    a - +15 shield "Bullseye" {EV-5}
Res.Acid. : + . .   Res.Corr.  : +    r - +2 wizard hat {MR}
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    i - +2 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    f - +2 pair of gauntlets
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    j - +1 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    E - brooch of Shielding {Ward AC+4 EV+4}
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .    W - ring of see invisible
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    b - ring of regeneration

@: lich-form, deflect missiles, quick, uncannily resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: Int +2, Dex +1
a: End Transformation, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion
}: 9/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, icy, bone, abyssal

You are in the Vestibule of Hell.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You are in lich-form.

You have visited 18 branches of the dungeon, and seen 107 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 3 times.
You have visited 1 Labyrinth.
You have visited 5 portal chambers: sewer, ossuary, ice cave, wizlab, trove.

You have collected 14282 gold pieces.
You have spent 560 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 e - the dagger of Chilly Death {freeze, rPois rF- rC++ MR, =f}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 3 of the Vaults)   

It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it, causing extra
   injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly susceptible
   opponents. It can also slow down cold-blooded creatures.

It makes you vulnerable to fire.
   It greatly protects you from cold.
   It protects you from poison.
   It increases your resistance to enchantments.
 n - the +9,+9 sabre of Destiny {slice, rF+ rC+ Str+2}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Crypt)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It affects your strength (+2).
   It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from cold.
 t - the short sword "Peowez" {slay orc, rN+ SInv}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Elven Halls)   

It is especially effective against all of orcish descent.

It protects you from negative energy.
   It enhances your eyesight.
Missiles
 d - 5 throwing nets (quivered)
 s - 39 darts of dispersal
Armour
 a - the +15 shield "Bullseye" (worn) {EV-5}

It affects your evasion (-5).
 f - a +2 pair of gauntlets (worn)
 g - a +1 shield of reflection
 h - a +0 elven cloak of darkness
 i - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn)
 j - a +1 pair of boots of stealth (worn)
 m - the +2 leather armour "Xaimangegh" (worn) {rPois MR Int+4 Acc+2}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Tomb of the Ancients)   

It affects your intelligence (+4).
   It affects your accuracy (+2).
 r - a +2 wizard hat of magic resistance (worn)
 Z - the +2 buckler "Clell" {Str+3}
   (You took it off a deep elf mage on level 5 of the Elven Halls)   

It affects your strength (+3).
Magical devices
 M - a wand of teleportation (8)
 N - a wand of hasting (5)
 Y - a wand of disintegration (9)
Jewellery
 b - a ring of regeneration (left hand)
 c - the ring of Meceujei {rF+ Str+4}
   (You acquired it in the Vestibule of Hell)   

[ring of protection from fire]

It affects your strength (+4).
 l - an uncursed ring of ice
 o - an uncursed amulet of conservation
 u - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
 C - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 D - an uncursed ring of wizardry
 E - the brooch of Shielding (around neck) {Ward AC+4 EV+4}

[amulet of warding]

It affects your AC (+4).
   It affects your evasion (+4).

Back in the good old days, every adventurer had one of these handy devices.
   That, and a pony.
 G - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 K - the amulet "Imee" {rMut Str+4 Dex-3}
   (You found it in Cigotuvi's Fleshworks)   

[amulet of resist mutation]

It affects your dexterity (-3).
 L - the ring "Ghaba" {SustAb Str+3 Int+3}

[ring of sustain abilities]

It affects your intelligence (+3).
 P - the ring "Setam" {rF+ MR}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Pits of Slime)   

[ring of protection from magic]

U - the ring "Reodgh" {Str+3 Dam-2 MP+9}

[ring of magical power]

It affects your damage-dealing abilities (-2).
 W - a ring of see invisible (right hand)
 X - an uncursed amulet of stasis
Magical staves
 V - a staff of wizardry (weapon)
Miscellaneous
 R - a lantern of shadows

Skills:
 + Level 9 Fighting
 - Level 6 Short Blades
 - Level 4 Staves
 - Level 2 Throwing
 - Level 5 Armour
 - Level 14 Dodging
 - Level 10 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 12 Shields
 - Level 10 Traps & Doors
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 - Level 1 Conjurations
 - Level 9 Charms
 O Level 27 Summonings
 O Level 27 Necromancy
 - Level 1 Translocations
 - Level 15 Transmutations
 - Level 20 Air Magic
 - Level 1 Poison Magic
 - Level 16 Invocations
 - Level 4 Evocations

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Shock                 Air/Conj       #####        Perfect     1    N/A
b - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       #########.   Perfect     2    N/A
c - Deflect Missiles      Air/Chrm       #########.   Excellent   6    N/A
d - Summon Dragon         Summ           #########.   Excellent   9    N/A
e - Lightning Bolt        Air/Conj       ########..   Excellent   5    N/A
f - Flight                Air/Chrm       #########.   Excellent   4    N/A
h - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Excellent   2    N/A
i - Summon Elemental      Summ           #########.   Perfect     4    N/A
k - Recall                Tloc/Summ      N/A          Perfect     3    N/A
l - Insulation            Air/Chrm       #########.   Excellent   4    N/A
m - Airstrike             Air            #########.   Perfect     4    N/A
n - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #########    Perfect     1    N/A
o - Poisonous Cloud       Pois/Air/Conj  #######...   Excellent   5    N/A
p - Haunt                 Summ/Necr      ##########   Excellent   7    N/A
r - Dispel Undead         Necr           #########    Perfect     4    N/A
s - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      #########.   Excellent   8    N/A
t - Abjuration            Summ           #########.   Perfect     3    N/A
B - Haste                 Chrm           ########.    Excellent   6    N/A

I would like to go for a 15-rune win. I've already cleared Zot:5 and am quite confident that I could grab the orb and run. I'm missing the 5 Pan runes as well as Gehenna. I haven't entered either branch yet; the former out of fright (Pan is tougher than Hell, right?) and the latter due to my limited rF possibilities. The 3 branches of Hell that I did visit weren't too tough given that I always surrounded myself with summoned allies (originally air elementals and later dragons) and always had my buffs (DMsl, Swift, Lich, Fly, Insul) up.

I don't usually run around with all that equipment, but I picked up *all* my excellent -- ahem mediocre -- equipment for the char dump. My short-term goal is to keep training Fighting (for the HP) and Shields (to 15) to eliminate the spellcasting penalty from my Bullseye. (In hindsight, I don't think I'll ever bother with weapon skills on this type of character again.)

I'm still to find *anything* of clarity and *anything* rElec (hence the Insulation spell). Of relevance, I'm also yet to find a (vanilla) ring of fire, a ring of protection from fire and wands of healing/invisibilty.

I could likely let go of Poison Cloud. I've kept Shock to attract single monsters to me and Summon Elemental as a cheap way of digging (though I really should forget it and learn Dig, particularly to fully explore Slime). I'm pretty sure I've collected all spells available in the game in my 100+ books. Is cBlink (with a ring or spell of teleport control) the way to go? What other suggestions to you have for my spells? Or for my equipment? Or for anything else for that matter?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may give me!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 08:08

Re: CIP - DE Su/Ne XP27

You can get rF++ right now, so that's something (looks like Slime Pit run went fairly successfully). Also, how'd you do the Tomb before Pan? I'm curious to know 'cause the majority of Pan isn't that hard.

If I was going into Pan, right now...would probably forget Summon Elemental (you have summon dragon bro), Poison Cloud (much better alternatives exist, like Tornado), Shock (you have Airstrike). I'd probably also forget Recall (not really needed - Sif channeling + lich form permits near infinite summons, plus you have summon butterflies) and get Controlled Blink to excellent ASAP. Actually memorize the spell because having the Ctrl Tele. status only gives semi-controlled blinks (permits choosing of direction but not the square you move on) with the regular Blink. Controlled Blink acts like a Scroll of Blinking.

If your goal is to escape with your life and 15 runes and not kill all these uniques: The most dangerous Pan lord for you is probably Gloorx Volq. Him and his Executioners will make short work of any summons you put out - it's very difficult to simply overwhelm them even with Summon Dragon (at least in my experience), Tornado followed by Summon Dragon may work though. Cerebov next due to Fire Storm (you don't have rF+++); I suggest Magic Mapping his realm, then Haste+CBlink to the Fiery Rune and then running, distracting him with summons. If you have any Scrolls of Holy Word now would be the time to use them (stuns him for 2-4 turns). You can do the same thing with Lom Lobon (but make sure you have high MR so his wizards or himself doesn't banish you to the Abyss), but be sure to cast Insulate before going in; just killing him would be ok too - he only has 350 HP as compared to Cerebov's 650. Mnelog can cast Summon Horrible Things and Abjuration by association, but he's not that hard to kill or get rid of (he tends to teleport when he has low health).

The demonic rune can always be found in three scenarios. Hellion Island (an island of 10+ Hellions) can't be done unless you have Death's Door, Controlled Blink, and either Ice Storm or Tornado (Shatter may also work - never tried). The Smiting Vault shouldn't be a problem for you because you have both Haunt and Summon Dragon - let the dragons take care of anyone not hidden behind the transparent rock walls and Haunt the Smoke Demons (smiting vault - get it?). The Eye vault is pretty easy, but you need high powered Shatter or Lee's Rapid Deconstruction to get the rune. Other random vaults may also have this rune, but be prepared to run away.

Hopefully you'll find some rF item in Pan. Good luck, may the RNG favor you this day.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 10:15

I don't have experience with summon dragon, but if you cast tornado and follow up by summon dragons, wouldn't they be harmed by it?
poisonous cloud will be quite useless, and yes, controlled blink is highly recommended in pan, as you can land directly near a lord or on a hellion island (the first happened with my current character).
stealing runes should not be difficult with summons, let them attack, cBlink around the guardian, grab the rune and (controlled) teleport out.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 19th February 2012, 08:09

sir_laser wrote:You can get rF++ right now, so that's something (looks like Slime Pit run went fairly successfully). Also, how'd you do the Tomb before Pan? I'm curious to know 'cause the majority of Pan isn't that hard.

Yeah, Slime Pit was actually a push over. I got a bit freaked out at some point and Haste-ned myself while my dragons were fighting The Royal Jelly, but it was overkill. And with a cloak of preservation and an amulet of resist corrosion, I incurred no equipment damage at all.

Tomb wasn't all that tough; I actually did it before any of the 3 hell runes I now have or the abyss rune (or Slime for that matter). (In hindsight, abyss is easier.) And I didn't have Summon Dragon yet. My system? I summoned air elementals and crowded the space next to a downstairs with them, cast all my buffs and recharged all my MP before going down. The first time I went to Tomb:3 I took out a decent number of the front row guardian mummies and mummy priests with my elementals and my continuous spamming of haunt while recharging my MP. I was pretty impressed with myself. Then my summons starting disappearing. And then I saw the onslought of greater mummies and I understood: abjuration. I took out as much as I could, either casting abjuration or haunt, or sif-ing MP or directing my summons. I eventually had to go back up. Then I just stairdanced a dozen times or so (with elementals around) and brought back a few mobs each time. Went well and with minimal HP loss. Oh: I was in necromutation throughout.

sir_laser wrote:If I was going into Pan, right now...would probably forget Summon Elemental (you have summon dragon bro), Poison Cloud (much better alternatives exist, like Tornado), Shock (you have Airstrike). I'd probably also forget Recall (not really needed - Sif channeling + lich form permits near infinite summons, plus you have summon butterflies) and get Controlled Blink to excellent ASAP. Actually memorize the spell because having the Ctrl Tele. status only gives semi-controlled blinks (permits choosing of direction but not the square you move on) with the regular Blink. Controlled Blink acts like a Scroll of Blinking.

Thanks for the advice. I have since entered Gehenna but quickly left when I didn't feel comfortable with the quantity of fire damage I was taking. I went back to the Abyss to raise some levels in Translocations. I ditched Summon Elemental and Poison Cloud and learned Controlled Blink (now excellent) and Dig (and thereby finishing exploring the Slime Pits). I also found a +3 buckler of Munuull {Str+2 Sinv} which frees up my see invisble ring slot.

Respectfully, I think I disagree about forgetting Recall. Given that dragons stick around for so long, I frequently summon a bunch/channel upon entering a new level and then explore leisurely. Upon sensing *any* danger, I recall them all back to me thus creating an immediate meat shield of dragons. And given that I'm always flying and swift, I can sometimes even act with the dragons before the monster has had time to notice. It's the way I took out the 3 guys at the bottom of the 3 hells I did. In fact, recall with summon elemental was equally great when I was still using the latter.

sir_laser wrote:Hellion Island (an island of 10+ Hellions) can't be done unless you have Death's Door, Controlled Blink, and either Ice Storm or Tornado (Shatter may also work - never tried).

Hmmm... I just now entered Pan and killed the 1st floor's pan lord relatively easily with my dragons and some haunt. Unfortunately, the game crashed a few turns later. (Incidentally: It created a file to that effect. I'm playing 0.9.1; should I upload that to somewhere?) I reloaded the game and it restarted me at the very entrance to that pan level and that's where things stand now as I write this.

Is this Hellion Island truly an island (of either deep water or lava)? If so, and given that the hellions can't fly, couldn't I take them out from just beyond LOS with my dragons?

slowcar wrote:I don't have experience with summon dragon, but if you cast tornado and follow up by summon dragons, wouldn't they be harmed by it?

Yeah, I assume so. I was using tornado with summon elemental some time ago and it was a great way of taking out the silencing creatures(, which are by far the absolute most dangerous ones for my character). The problem is that it harmed my haunt progeny too severely. I ditched it in favour of Summon Dragon and haven't looked back since.

slowcar wrote:yes, controlled blink is highly recommended in pan, as you can land directly near a lord or on a hellion island (the first happened with my current character).

What do you mean "you can land directly near a ..."? When can you land in such a way? Upon entering a level for the first time?!? Woah. That's crazy. But I think you're right: a few controlled blinks, followed by a haste, followed by wielding a lantern of shadows and running like hell is going to be my escape mechanism. Maybe I'll even start hasting myself before entering a new level.

Alright...
I'm off to bed but will try some of that advice tomorrow... Thanks again.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 21:43

Hi,

I haven't played much, but here's a brief update nevertheless.

I redid the crashed Pan level and killed that Pan Lord. The next Pan level was Cerebov's. I killed him -- or rather my summons killed him -- with relative ease and grabbed the rune. I returned to my stash to drop off my treasure (which I now see I shouldn't bother doing and should simply ID stuff there and then and ditch the useless items). Upon reentering Pan, I was presented with the aforementioned hellion island level. I cleared it easily -- I only saw hellfire at least 5 squares away from me -- using summons from a distance and ordering my summons to 'w'ait here (thereby allowing them to move around a bit, get attacked by the monsters and then retaliate). The island also had a Pan Lord, whom I didn't even see but my log indicates that I killed him. The next pan level was Lom Lobon. Here, too, I used the same tricks and killed him before I ever even saw him (though I know he was there due to the ball lightning).

The next pan level, which I cleared, contains a ziggurat. I haven't entered it yet, but that's the next step!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 21:56

If you are relying heavily on summons, don't forget that the dangerous Ziggurat levels (mummy and pan lord levels in particular) contain tons of monsters with Abjuration. Attempting to clear a whole Ziggurat with only Summon Dragon is highly risky. If you really want to win, better leave on level 10-15.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:06

cerebovssquire wrote:If you are relying heavily on summons, don't forget that the dangerous Ziggurat levels (mummy and pan lord levels in particular) contain tons of monsters with Abjuration. Attempting to clear a whole Ziggurat with only Summon Dragon is highly risky. If you really want to win, better leave on level 10-15.

Hmmm... thanks for the advice! I just started this ziggurat -- my first ever -- and have cleared the first 4 levels. Abjuration doesn't seem to have been very successful against me so far -- my dragons are only very seldom successfully dispelled. (Not so for my haunt progeny.) Zig:4 contained some ghost moths (which successfully drained all my MP) and although the rest of the monsters were a pushover, my dragons couldn't see them and therefore couldn't attack them. I channelled and used haunt and didn't resort to my wands. It worked. I wouldn't want to meet ghost moths on a level with monsters who can cast abjuration, though...

I'll likely follow your advice and leave when I'm about half-way done the zig. I want to get my 6240gp worth first, though. (Famous last words...?)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:12

Have you found an amulet of clarity yet?

If you're doing a Ziggurat and you're going around in lichform at all times, make sure to wear an amulet of clarity when you go to the next level. If an orange crystal statue spawns, its radius could easily cover a whole level, and if it confuses you in lichform the turn after you enter, you will NOT be able to drink a cure potion to unfuck yourself, and whatever else is on the level might beat you to death before lichform ends. It's really humiliating and heartbreaking to have a run end like that after your rune count is in the double digits.

How do I know? Cause this happened to ME. Yeah, it was insanely cheap for the zig level to have an orange crystal statue like that... but I'd found an amulet of clarity and I didn't have it with me, and thus I have only myself to blame for getting nailed like that. I felt like an idiot, and I don't want to see that happen to you.

For this message the author Happy Corner has received thanks:
lxl

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:29

Happy Corner wrote:Have you found an amulet of clarity yet?

Wow. Thanks for scaring me. It worked really well. ;)

Given that I've now completed zig:6 and that the floors are getting larger, is it even possible for, say, an orange statue to show up within LOS of my entrance to the zig floor? If so, the lack of clarity is clearly a major issue and I'll leave the zig now. If not, then the statue doesn't really scare me.

I've never really used wands much. Can one effectively use one (eg: disintegration) on an enemy when confused (or will I be shooting around the room randomly)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:36

No. But why on earth are you continously in lich-form? It has two main benefits: rN+++/rTorm for demons/mummies/etc. and hungerless casting. The former is situational, the latter is unimportant especially on a 27-spellcasting Deep Elf. You should really not use it continiously, but when tormentors show up, ie not at the beginning of every level because of all the risks and drawbacks.
You can't zap wants reliably when confused, no; but when not lichforming you can just quaff a potion of curing.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:38

I'm very surprised that your summons were able to penetrate the island at all (maybe its different in Trunk...? been playing trunk exclusively), for in my experience these 10+ Hellions drop up to 2 hellfires on you per turn, resulting in 1d20*3d15 damage, but congratulations! So you have the demonic rune now?

I believe that file generated by the crash is a bug report, there are instructions on the crawl site on how to upload it: here.

If you don't have Clarity yet, just enter the next zig level alive and not in lich form so you can quaff potions. An OCS should not be able to show up within LOS of your entrance after the first 9 levels, but doing anything while confused may (read: will) result in bad things, like self-damage.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:42

cerebovssquire wrote:No. But why on earth are you continously in lich-form? It has two main benefits: rN+++/rTorm for demons/mummies/etc. and hungerless casting. The former is situational, the latter is unimportant especially on a 27-spellcasting Deep Elf. You should really not use it continiously, but when tormentors show up, ie not at the beginning of every level because of all the risks and drawbacks.
You can't zap wants reliably when confused, no; but when not lichforming you can just quaff a potion of curing.

I'm always in lichform because I channel MPs constantly and would be eating non-stop. I have so far never seen any drawback to being in lichform (with the exception of the aforementioned confuse issue) as dispel undead, when used against me, is always "blocked" by my summons. What other drawbacks are there and why do you suggest to not always be in lichform?

edit: minor typo.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 22:50

Here are the effects of Necromutation. The main drawback is that you can't eat or drink, and this can prove very dangerous in a Ziggurat (OCS is one, but also stat damage from those Neqoxecs/mutating monsters). If you get tormented it's only half HP gone and you can cast Necromutation right away, but if you're confused or if you've lost 1/3 Int in Lich form (this has happened to a MuWz of mine) suddenly these summons you've been relying on don't seem very powerful anymore. Yes, being undead has many advantages especially for a character build like yours but there are also drawbacks that can be crippling or fatal in some situations.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 01:37

Thanks for the advice given. I really appreciate the time you have granted me. Thanks again.

Yes, I was aware of those drawbacks to being in lichform but my impression is that the pros far outweigh the cons. I've put a fair amount of XP into invocations so my chanelling is now quite rapid; I frequently channel during a battle and going low on satiation while fighting is something that has caused me issues in the past...

So I went down the zig until I cleared 16 and then exited. I was very happy to find a scroll of acquirement there and upon reading it, received an amulet of clarity. I put it on and haven't looked back. I finally also found a wand of healing, which I recharged and now carry with me, as well as a decent cloak {rF+ rC++}. Most other finds weren't of much interest...

I'm now planning on going back to pan to find the remaining runes as well as hitting Gehenna.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 19:37

Good luck! Sounds promising so far.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 19:53

lxl wrote:Abjuration doesn't seem to have been very successful against me so far -- my dragons are only very seldom successfully dispelled. (Not so for my haunt progeny.)

Just dropping by to say that abjuration *always* works (barring Trog protecting bros from it, I think) - it's not a "send away on success, do nothing on failure thing", it just reduces summon duration by some amount that probably involves extremely convoluted crawl math to calculate. If it the amount of time reduced is equal or larger than the remaining summon duration for a given creature, it goes poof; if not, it sticks around "normally", but with less turns remaining before it disappears. Summon Dragon has maximum duration, and Haunt has very low duration, which is why dragons appear to "resist" it and spectrals seem to always be "dispelled".

Of course, it looks like you can out-dragon pretty much anything, so no worries.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 21:14

So I did as I said I would. I went to Gehenna and was about to kill Asmodeus when he teleported away. I couldn't be bothered to track him down, so I simply grabbed the rune and took off. Then I went to Pan again looking for my last 2 remaining runes. I eventually found them and killed their respective "big bosses". (The only rune boss I didn't kill was Asmodeus.) That's when I noticed that I pulled a stupid: I forgot my distortion dagger at my stash (as I had left it there when I went to Gehenna). Drats! I did far too many Pan levels for nought. I eventually stumbled upon another zig and entered it. Zig:11 had a bunch of oklobs near the entrance as well as a silent spectre which came to greet (and silence) me far too quickly. And right behind him was a ancient lich. It was a tough fight -- I had to skewer the silent spectre with my sabre -- before taking out the other mobs with my summons. Thinking that that was the hardest thing which could present itself to me, I decided to go a level deeper. There, a bunch of ghost moths were waiting for me along with a horde of dragons. I still don't know how, but I cleared them all (even though they took me down to about 45hp). That was enough for me! I returned to pan and kept going, hoping for a way out. It took a while, but I eventually found it. I went down to zot, grabbed the orb and ran. The run up was uneventful.

I now have my first win -- a 15 runer -- and am itching to do it again. Perhaps I'll even try a non-magic user (as I'm so jealous of seeing all that armour Oka worshippers have)...

Thanks again to all who showered me with advice!

edit: typo.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2012, 22:58

Congratulations, lxl!

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 24th February 2012, 02:49

ebarrett wrote:
lxl wrote:Abjuration doesn't seem to have been very successful against me so far -- my dragons are only very seldom successfully dispelled. (Not so for my haunt progeny.)

Just dropping by to say that abjuration *always* works (barring Trog protecting bros from it, I think) - it's not a "send away on success, do nothing on failure thing", it just reduces summon duration by some amount that probably involves extremely convoluted crawl math to calculate. If it the amount of time reduced is equal or larger than the remaining summon duration for a given creature, it goes poof; if not, it sticks around "normally", but with less turns remaining before it disappears. Summon Dragon has maximum duration, and Haunt has very low duration, which is why dragons appear to "resist" it and spectrals seem to always be "dispelled".

Of course, it looks like you can out-dragon pretty much anything, so no worries.

Aha! Thanks for that info. That makes sense for monsters casting abjuration at my summons.

But how is it that when I cast abjuration, *all* enemy summons are immediately dispelled? Is is simply that my high int/spellcasting/summoning reduce the remaining duration by more than the total duration (thereby instantly dispelling the monster)?

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th February 2012, 08:50

Congrats on the win, and an all runer too!
lxl wrote:But how is it that when I cast abjuration, *all* enemy summons are immediately dispelled? Is is simply that my high int/spellcasting/summoning reduce the remaining duration by more than the total duration (thereby instantly dispelling the monster)?

Yes. The number of turns Abjuration reduces summons' duration by is proportional to the spell power. Like ebarrett said, if the turns reduced by Abjuration is >= turns the summon has remaining they go *poof*.

EDIT: Let's see the YAVP!

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 03:55

Apologies for the delayed reply. Work (and a weekend away) got in the way of "life"...

Thanks for the info about Abjuration.

As requested, I'm posting the victory post. I have a tendency to leave the game running for hours on end -- and often overnight -- without playing it (if you're wondering why it took me 3+days). But I *do* accept full responsibility for the insane number of turns it took me to complete: I played *extremely* safely not really knowing what to expect after around xp:15 or so. As soon as Summon Dragon, Recall and my buffs were quite reliable, the game became almost trivial...

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

6093497 Dumbo the Archmage (level 27, 175/184 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Air Elementalist on Feb 6, 2012.
             Was a High Priest of Sif Muna.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 23, 2012!

The game lasted 3days 05:14:04 (311463 turns).

Dumbo the Archmage (Deep Elf Air Elementalist)                                                         Turns: 311463, Time: 3, 05:14:04

HP 175/184       AC 24     Str 13      XL: 27
MP  31/50        EV 23     Int 40      God: Sif Muna [*****.]
Gold 9889        SH 19     Dex 19      Spells: 18 memorised,  0 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + +   See Invis. : +    a - staff of wizardry
Res.Cold  : + + +   Warding    : . .  m - +2 leather armour "Xaimangegh" {rPois MR I
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .    h - +3 buckler of Munuull {Str+2 SInv}
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    r - +2 wizard hat {MR}
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : +    e - +2 cloak "Oschir" {rF+ rC++}
Res.Elec. : +       Spirit.Shd : .    z - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
Sust.Abil.: + .     Stasis     : .    j - +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: x    T - amulet of clarity
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : +    D - ring of Muruf {rElec rF++ rC+ Str-3 Stlth+
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: +    L - ring "Ghaba" {SustAb Str+3 Int+3}

@: lich-form, deflect missiles, flying, very quick, uncannily resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: Int +2, Dex +1
a: End Transformation, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark

You escaped.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
Sif Muna was extremely pleased with you.
You were not hungry.

You were in lich-form.

You visited 19 branches of the dungeon, and saw 114 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 5 times, and saw 32 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 7 times.
You visited 1 Labyrinth.
You visited 2 Ziggurats, and saw 28 of their levels (deepest: 12).
You visited 5 portal chambers: sewer, ossuary, ice cave, wizlab, trove.

You collected 20889 gold pieces.
You spent 560 gold pieces at shops.
You used 10460 gold pieces for miscellaneous purposes.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 l - the +6,+1 bow of the Lair of Beasts {flame, +Inv +Lev rElec rC+}
   (You took it off a guardian mummy on level 9 of a ziggurat)   

It turns projectiles fired from it into bolts of flame.

It insulates you from electricity.
   It lets you turn invisible.
   It lets you levitate.
 o - the +5,+7 dagger of Chilly Death {=f, freeze, rPois rF- rC++ MR}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 3 of the Vaults)   

It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it, causing extra
   injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly susceptible
   opponents. It can also slow down cold-blooded creatures.

It makes you vulnerable to fire.
 R - the +9,+9 sabre of Destiny {slice, rF+ rC+ Str+2}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Crypt)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

Armour
 e - the +2 cloak "Oschir" (worn) {rF+ rC++}
   (You found it on level 9 of a ziggurat)   

h - the +3 buckler of Munuull (worn) {Str+2 SInv}

It enhances your eyesight.
 j - a +2 pair of boots of stealth (worn)
 m - the +2 leather armour "Xaimangegh" (worn) {rPois MR Int+4 Acc+2}

It affects your intelligence (+4).
   It affects your accuracy (+2).
 r - a +2 wizard hat of magic resistance (worn)
 z - a +2 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
Magical devices
 k - a wand of disintegration (7)
 I - a wand of healing (8)
 M - a wand of disintegration (9)
 N - a wand of healing (6)
 U - a wand of hasting (9)
 Y - a wand of teleportation (7)
Scrolls
 t - 5 scrolls of teleportation
 u - 4 scrolls of enchant armour
 G - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
 K - 10 scrolls of identify
 O - 10 scrolls of remove curse
 V - 2 scrolls of recharging
 Z - 6 scrolls of detect curse
Jewellery
 b - an uncursed ring of regeneration
 c - the ring of Meceujei {rF+ Str+4}

[ring of protection from fire]

d - the amulet of Secrets {rMut Str+4 Int+2}
   (You found it on level 7 of Gehenna)   

[amulet of resist mutation]

It affects your intelligence (+2).
 q - an uncursed ring of teleportation
 v - the ring of Himos {Str+3 Dex+2}
   (You found it in Pandemonium)   

[ring of strength]

It affects your dexterity (+2).
 w - the ring "Skeigriuze" {Ice Dex+4 Int+2}
   (You found it on level 7 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of ice]

It affects your intelligence (+2).
   It affects your dexterity (+4).
 A - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
 C - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 D - the ring of Muruf (right hand) {rElec rF++ rC+ Str-3 Stlth++}
   (You found it on level 7 of a ziggurat)   

[ring of protection from cold]

It affects your strength (-3).
   It greatly protects you from fire.
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It makes you much more stealthy.
 E - the brooch of Shielding {Ward AC+4 EV+4}

[amulet of warding]

It affects your AC (+4).
   It affects your evasion (+4).

Back in the good old days, every adventurer had one of these handy devices.
   That, and a pony.
 J - an uncursed ring of wizardry
 L - the ring "Ghaba" (left hand) {SustAb Str+3 Int+3}

[ring of sustain abilities]

It affects your intelligence (+3).
 P - the ring "Setam" {rF+ MR}

[ring of protection from magic]

S - the amulet of Thew {Cons rF+ rC+}
   (You found it in Pandemonium)   

[amulet of conservation]

T - an amulet of clarity (around neck)
 X - an uncursed amulet of stasis
Potions
 f - 4 potions of heal wounds
 n - 8 potions of healing
 W - 2 potions of magic
Magical staves
 a - a staff of wizardry (weapon)
Orbs of Power
 i - the Orb of Zot
Miscellaneous
 g - a lantern of shadows
 y - a crystal ball of seeing

Skills:
 - Level 22 Fighting
 - Level 10 Short Blades
 - Level 4 Staves
 - Level 2 Throwing
 - Level 5 Armour
 + Level 14 Dodging
 - Level 10 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 12 Shields
 - Level 13 Traps & Doors
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 - Level 1 Conjurations
 - Level 9 Charms
 O Level 27 Summonings
 O Level 27 Necromancy
 - Level 11 Translocations
 - Level 15 Transmutations
 - Level 20 Air Magic
 - Level 1 Earth Magic
 - Level 1 Poison Magic
 - Level 20 Invocations
 - Level 10 Evocations

You couldn't memorise any spells.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Shock                 Air/Conj       #####        Perfect     1    N/A
b - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       #########.   Perfect     2    N/A
c - Deflect Missiles      Air/Chrm       #########.   Excellent   6    N/A
d - Summon Dragon         Summ           #########.   Excellent   9    N/A
e - Lightning Bolt        Air/Conj       ########..   Excellent   5    N/A
f - Flight                Air/Chrm       #########.   Perfect     4    N/A
g - Dig                   Erth/Trmt      ########.    Excellent   4    N/A
h - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          Excellent   7    N/A
k - Recall                Tloc/Summ      N/A          Perfect     3    N/A
l - Insulation            Air/Chrm       #########.   Perfect     4    N/A
m - Airstrike             Air            #########.   Perfect     4    N/A
n - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #########    Perfect     1    N/A
p - Haunt                 Summ/Necr      ##########   Excellent   7    N/A
r - Dispel Undead         Necr           #########    Perfect     4    N/A
s - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      #########.   Excellent   8    N/A
t - Abjuration            Summ           #########.   Perfect     3    N/A
B - Haste                 Chrm           ########.    Excellent   6    N/A
H - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Perfect     2    N/A

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (27/27)            Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (4/4) D:6
    Elf (5/5) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:9           Swamp (5/5) Lair:3
  Slime (6/6) Lair:8        Snake (5/5) Lair:6         Hive (2/2) D:11
  Vault (8/8) D:16          Blade (1/1) Vault:5       Crypt (5/5) Vault:4
   Tomb (3/3) Crypt:3         Dis (7/7) Hell            Geh (7/7) Hell
    Coc (7/7) Hell            Tar (7/7) Hell            Zot (5/5) D:27

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
Beogh
Jiyva
Lugonu

Shops:
D:8: +  D:9: !  D:15: !  D:21: !  Orc:1: %  Orc:3: *  Orc:4: [!%=  Snake:4: *  Vault:1: +  Vault:3: (*/  Vault:4: %

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 D:25 D:26 D:27 Dis:1** Dis:2** Dis:3** Dis:4** Dis:5*** Dis:6** Dis:7** Geh:1** Geh:2** Geh:3** Geh:4 Geh:5* Geh:6* Geh:7 Coc:1*** Coc:2*** Coc:3*** Coc:4*** Coc:5*** Coc:6*** Coc:7** Tar:1*** Tar:2*** Tar:3** Tar:4*** Tar:5** Tar:6*** Tar:7**
Abyss: D:20 D:21 D:25 D:27
Pan: D:23 D:24

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are agile (Dex +1).
Your mind is acute (Int +2).

The whole file is 2700+ lines long, so I snipped the bottom portion. If you wish me to upload anything else or give extra commentary, I can certainly do so.

OT: I'm now playing another quasi-identical character; some early items and spells make him viable...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 28th February 2012, 04:31

Congratulations!

And extra commentary is cool. I know there have to be all kinds players who lurk on this forum thinking "Wow, how the hell do those 15-runers do it?" I'm sure they'd gladly read anything you have to say about your victory (that you haven't already).

Hell, I'll get you started. I see a lot on this forum about how badass Summon Dragon is, and now I'm thinking my Necromancy-using characters (who dabble in Summoning for Haunt) might try it. About what level of Summoning did that become reliable for you?

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 29th February 2012, 06:14

Happy Corner wrote:Congratulations!

And extra commentary is cool. I know there have to be all kinds players who lurk on this forum thinking "Wow, how the hell do those 15-runers do it?" I'm sure they'd gladly read anything you have to say about your victory (that you haven't already).

Thanks. I could upload the event-log/notes-thingamajig (in game: ?: ) if there's interest but I suspect it to be similar to many other ones. I was *heavily* influenced by
this page.

I could discuss my early skill training, which I change to 'manual' and 'focus', and basic early survival.

I should note that I play 0.9.1 and I understand that the skill system has changed significantly; I'm not sure how useful this haphazardly organized list of ideas is...
- on turn1, 'focus' on spellcasting and 'practice' on air magic. everything else off. for the rest of the game, i never remove the 'focus' from spellcasting (until it maxes out). turn air magic off only once it reaches level 15
- use multi-zap religiously
- wield the first (some discretion) short blade you come across and try to kill everything killable with it. use spells on the tougher guys (multi-zap!). as soon as you gain fighting skill: revert back to being a spellcaster but 'focus' your fighting skill until it reaches 2 or 3. the extra hp add up (i believe).
- don't wear any body armour except robes and don't use any type of shield until after you have your first fighting skill level.
- at xp:2 learn swiftness and repel missiles; spam swiftness, particularly before tough fights and run often; switness is particularly useful when kiting mobs around corners and multi-zapping them.
- at xp:3 learn static discharge; use when required but until you can levitate/fly, it is self-damaging
- pray to sif muna when you find the altar
- the next spells i learn are from my book of air (levitation can be useful in a sewer and then mostly to just ditch the spellbook because i won't be using lighting bolt too soon) unless i find something interesting. and by interesting, I mean:
    fullsome distillation (and evaporate): great for ID'ing potions and for varied nukes;
    mephitic cloud: enough said;
    airstrike: you're training air magic and it's a smite-type spell; great against flying mobs, for which static discharge is useless; spectacular against player ghosts.
    summon butterflies, blink: escape mechanism;
    call imp: great at taking out ghosts and other tough creatures; can be spammed
    and i'm sure i'm forgetting some...
- regardless, learn lightning bolt soon enough; if you want to learn spells which don't use air magic, prefer low level spells and don't train their skills; rely on high spellcasting skill instead. the goal is to max out air and move to summoning asap.
- at some (or many) point(s) in the game, you'll need some (more) levels of the following skills: fighting, dodging ('cause it's just so easy for a DE), shields (if needed), t&d. use your discretion on those. however, invocations, which is used for sif's channeling, is different: whenever you decide to 'practice' it, have all other non-spellcasting/non-air skills off and train it all the way to 4. repeat at your discretion when you're ready to upgrade it to 8 or 12 or even higher.
- as soon as you hit air:15: turn the skill off, learn summon elemental and recall and start to 'practice' summoning skill. this now becomes, with poisonous cloud, the main means of klling mobs.
- at some point, spellcasting will max out. nice.
- when you hit summon:10 or so, turn off the skill and start to 'practice' necromancy and transmuations with the goal of casting necromutation well enough.
- as soon as you can cast necromutation reliably (necro and transmutation around 13-15), learn haunt and pump xp into summoning and necromancy as required. if you like tornado, pump your xp into air. (i personally didn't find tornado all that useful: it was too short lived and always left me with a "now what?" feeling when it ran out... but then again, i didn't use it at it's fullest potential.)
- the end is up to you depending on spell interests...

Happy Corner wrote:Hell, I'll get you started. I see a lot on this forum about how badass Summon Dragon is, and now I'm thinking my Necromancy-using characters (who dabble in Summoning for Haunt) might try it. About what level of Summoning did that become reliable for you?

I wish I could tell you as I only learned summon dragon after i was at summon:27. What I can tell you is that you don't have to be able to cast it reliably (if you don't suffer from miscast effects) because the dragons stick around for so long that if you can summon a few upon entering a level (and channeling MP), you'll be able to recall them when needed. I can also tell you that my current character, XP:20, int:32, spellcasting:27, summon:10 with 2 'wizardry' items can still only cast it at 'terrible'. I'll try to keep you posted...

edit: typo.

For this message the author lxl has received thanks:
Happy Corner

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 20:33

lxl wrote:
Happy Corner wrote:Hell, I'll get you started. I see a lot on this forum about how badass Summon Dragon is, and now I'm thinking my Necromancy-using characters (who dabble in Summoning for Haunt) might try it. About what level of Summoning did that become reliable for you?

I wish I could tell you as I only learned summon dragon after i was at summon:27. What I can tell you is that you don't have to be able to cast it reliably (if you don't suffer from miscast effects) because the dragons stick around for so long that if you can summon a few upon entering a level (and channeling MP), you'll be able to recall them when needed. I can also tell you that my current character, XP:20, int:32, spellcasting:27, summon:10 with 2 'wizardry' items can still only cast it at 'terrible'. I'll try to keep you posted...

update: I'm now in Zot:1 at xp:23, int:37, spellcasting:27, summon:16 and can cast Summon Dragon at "very good" (i.e. 80-90% reliability in 0.9.1 according to the wiki) with a ring of wizardry. It's working splendidly.... I just wish I could find necromutation because it's an expensive spell to cast!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too