YASD:DDBe

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 10:15

YASD:DDBe

Fairly new to the game, i tried for my 5th char a Deep Dwarf Berserker. A former attempt at Berserker with a Human had taught me to use wisely Berserk, for all the food heavy toll. So i mainly played shooting stones at monsters and finishing them off with my dwarven Hand Axe, occasionnaly using Trog's Hand when low on HP and berserking when i had spare chunks to eat.

DDBe.txt
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

This Deep Dwarf went smoothly despite the absence of healing. Slayed Eustachio on D:4, visited an Ossuary on D:5. Ijyb went down on D:5 too.
DL6 was a little tricky: Prince Ribbit, Menkaure, Sigmund AND Blork the Orc were on the way. I somehow managed to survive, but it took me a day long, stopping to ponder critical moves 3 or 4 times (i even wrote down the tiles on a paper to think about it at work :roll: )
DL8 i cornered Pikel apart from its slaves and chopped him down. Found the Entrance to Orcish Mines.

First Time i went down there. I was at first overwhelmed by the orc packs, but after a while got used to it and began making carefully my way downstairs. My food supplies beginning to shrink, i tried not to use too much Trog's Hand, Berserk and Brothers in Arms.

I popped in Orc:3, and spotted after a few steps one pack ahead led by two warriors and an Orc High Priest (never fought an High Priest before).
I made my mistake there. I decided (being in the center of a great room) to go fight back to a wall 3 tiles away. Next thing i knew, the High Priest had begun to summon demons everywhere. By the time i reached the wall i was totally surrounded by demons, zombies, orc warriors (the 2 initially spotted) and my orc High Priest.
I bravely tried to stand and kill the High Priest. But Hungered, Poisoned, with a demon Gnawing away my INT, i finally died, having to use combat turns to recharge my Wand of healing in order to barely survive another round of Fight.

All in all i was pretty surprised by the smooth cruise of this Berserker compared to my previous Human Berserker (with healing i Mean) wich died crapfully at its first encounter with an ogre.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 10:58

Re: YASD:DDBe

you still have much to learn, but when you are always this considerate you'll have the game won very soon.
in orc 4, sometimes even in other orc levels, there can be high priests and sorcerers, those are very dangerous due to the summoning. always be prepared to back out there.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 13:16

Despite the Orcish Mines stairway appearing earlier than Lair's on many occasions, in nearly all cases Lair should be done first. But if that's just you 5th character you're doing very well. Granted, Berserkers will take every race through the early dungeon quite easily.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 15:15

Thanks for your answer, and i do note the advice about Lair before Orcish Mine. Could you just explain why? (never seen Lair)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too