The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 18:24

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Does Nemelex abilities really based on Evocations, or just on the deck type?
Is it good idea to use shield with Unarmed combat for troll, his Shields skill looks not completely awfull.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 19:33

minmay wrote:
PerverseSuffering wrote:What's the deal with acidrobin account? What's so acid and epileptic about it? Tried it, nothing!

You probably picked the wrong version.

Neither version works! What effect should I witness, anyway?

Also, misquote.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 19:39

Does Nemelex abilities really based on Evocations, or just on the deck type?

Evocations skill improves the effects of the cards, moreso under Nemelex.

Is it good idea to use shield with Unarmed combat for troll, his Shields skill looks not completely awfull.

Yes. The extra defense more than makes up for the loss of off-hand attacks, once the penalty is offset by skill.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 21:35

Start a DEFE and RNG (especially nice today after four loses) gives me staff of fire, ring of fire, pair of ring of Magical power and an Int+3 ring on D:7.

Staff is a must (doesn't want close fight anyway, and have whip of electrocution for the worst case). Also its description says, it could 'burn those struck by it, deal even greater damage' with good Evocations. Does Evo change power for spells, or change damage by other way? How much this change is (on which point I should stop train Fire and train up some Evocations)?

Ring of +Int changes only the success chance for big spells, so if I don't need it right now I could wait and train some SpellCasting/rise some XL, right?

Ring of Magical Power gives 6 MP each which is pretty nice for basic 26 MP. At this point I'm completely stuck. How much effect Ring of Fire give? Is it better than second ring of MP which practically guaranty I will not stuck out of mana for next few levels of dungeon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 21:52

Evocations doesn't affect spells, just increases power and success of evokeables (wands, rods, decks, etc. )

As far as the ring of fire... well, you really don't want rC- constantly on, so I'd just wear the other magical power ring. One enchancer is good enough, I'm assuming your best fire spell is sticky flames?

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 22:01

greepish wrote:Evocations doesn't affect spells, just increases power and success of evokeables (wands, rods, decks, etc. )

Got it.

greepish wrote:As far as the ring of fire... well, you really don't want rC- constantly on, so I'd just wear the other magical power ring. One enchancer is good enough, I'm assuming your best fire spell is sticky flames?

Already XL9 with Bolt of Magma on *Excellent, and Fireball in the book (already on Great too, but still doesn't learn. Without Sif's free amnesia, and with two books of Necromancy, which must be trained too..). Sticky flames anyway is pretty cool with two enchancers against uniques or Orc packs.
Last edited by lifecoder on Friday, 13th January 2012, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 22:04

Is this trunk or 9.0? Fireball sucks in 9.0 but I heard it got better in trunk. In which case maybe you could risk the ring for a bit and take it off if you run into anything that vblasts cold at ya (pretty darned rare at this point in the dungeon anyways).

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 22:13

It identifies as 0.9.1, and that was last version could be accessed as binaries two weeks ago. Without Octopodes, so I think it is not a trunk. Anyway, fireball looks nice for dealing with packs from the distance.

Another one: it looks like I need to rise Necro for necromutaion at some point, and side elemental branch for fire-resistant enemies. When Necro should be started, and what secondary element better? (And also character need some basics for Haste, Invisibility, Levitation and something for defence?)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 23:01

minmay wrote:Why do you want Necromutation? Also, invisibility is near-useless if you're not a stabber. You don't need another elemental school for rF enemies, either; pure Conjuration works just fine for that (Mystic Blast and Orb of Destruction).

In fact, since many enemies are resistant to all elements, you definately want those two.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 23:37

I want Necromutation since it is just cool, isn't it? No hunger, bunch of resistances with torment, rN and sickness (maybe, Haunt would be nice too?), mutation resistance would be nice for the end-game (and more the 3-rune trip, maybe without win for the first time, but it is so interesting) too. I could not see any real downside.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 00:07

If I use a scroll of remove curse while worshipping Ashenzari, will he get mad at me? Or will I just lose the skill boosts.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 00:23

Xion350 wrote:If I use a scroll of remove curse while worshipping Ashenzari, will he get mad at me? Or will I just lose the skill boosts.

Ashenzari respects the safe word, so you don't lose any piety or suffer any penance. If you are no longer bound, though, you no longer gain the benefits of bondage until you've gotten yourself bound up again. It's fairly routine to swap equipment as appropriate to the branch at hand, even with that part bound; you just don't get the benefits of swapping for individual fights against top-end monsters.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
rchandra, Xion350

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 00:38

KoboldLord wrote:
Xion350 wrote:If I use a scroll of remove curse while worshipping Ashenzari, will he get mad at me? Or will I just lose the skill boosts.

Ashenzari respects the safe word, so you don't lose any piety or suffer any penance. If you are no longer bound, though, you no longer gain the benefits of bondage until you've gotten yourself bound up again. It's fairly routine to swap equipment as appropriate to the branch at hand, even with that part bound; you just don't get the benefits of swapping for individual fights against top-end monsters.

... Wow, Ashenzari has taken on an entirely new meaning. XD
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 01:05

Bring out the gimp.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 03:06

Could someone kindly help in 'translating' the monsters immune to Silence? I don't play non-tiles, so I don't understand the following from Knowledge Bot on Silence entry:

Gw*8z&12345RC

Thanks a lot!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 03:41

srulz wrote:Could someone kindly help in 'translating' the monsters immune to Silence? I don't play non-tiles, so I don't understand the following from Knowledge Bot on Silence entry:

Gw*8z&12345RC

Thanks a lot!

G - eyes
w - brain worms
* - orbs
8 - any golem or statue
z - curse skull/toe
& - pan/hell lords
12345 - any kind of demon
R - efreet, rakshasa, Azrael, Mara
C - frost/fire giants, titans, Antaeus

EDIT: Forgot titans.
Last edited by CommanderC on Saturday, 14th January 2012, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks:
srulz

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 05:05

If I renounce a god, do I have to wait until he's mollified before taking another god? Is it advisable? (I'm thinking about abandoning Okawaru, and from what I've read I can cope with his wrath, but maybe I need to wait before talking to Ash.)

Also, how do you pronounce neqoxec? neh-quox-ek?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 05:53

Is a felid berserker completely insane? :)

Im not really aiming at beating the game at this point, just messing around and having fun for a bit, before I take another serious stab at making a few more levels with my current chosen race/class.

edit: also, how can I view the floor / area I am in currently?

I just found an off-shoot dungeon full of zombies.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 07:04

Mattchew wrote:If I renounce a god, do I have to wait until he's mollified before taking another god? Is it advisable? (I'm thinking about abandoning Okawaru, and from what I've read I can cope with his wrath, but maybe I need to wait before talking to Ash.)

No, you do not have to wait until he's mollified before taking another god. Some people would advise doing so, particularly for gods with more dangerous wraths like Trog. To wait out wrath, you can levitate (continuously) over lava or deep water for thousands and thousands of turns, or you can completely fill the Temple with abominations (if you're Kiku) and then wait for thousands and thousands of turns. This is to prevent summons from attacking you; however, other wrath effects still occur. Either case, bring lots of food.

Okawaru's wrath is one of the weakest ones and a character who has cleared D:27 should be easily powerful enough to take all kinds of "C" and "c" summons. Take Ash immediately, there's no benefit in waiting.

Mattchew wrote:Also, how do you pronounce neqoxec? neh-quox-ek?

That's my guess.

runequester wrote:Is a felid berserker completely insane? :)

Im not really aiming at beating the game at this point, just messing around and having fun for a bit, before I take another serious stab at making a few more levels with my current chosen race/class.

I've never played a FeBe, or any Felid for that matter, but they say Felid Berserker is the most noob-friendly combo that is powerful enough to win. It's not insane at all. In fact, one of the best classes for Felids because of item manipulation problems.

runequester wrote:edit: also, how can I view the floor / area I am in currently?

I just found an off-shoot dungeon full of zombies.

To view the current flower, use Shift + X, then use the standard movement keys to scroll around.

You found an ossuary.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

For this message the author tormodpwns has received thanks:
runequester

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 08:39

Do Weapons Lose Damage Over Time?

I have a Hafling Assassin. He used to have a +2, +2 dagger, now it is +2,-4. Every dagger he uses loses damage points over time. Is there some way to repair weapons? I've searched the wiki and couldn't find anything on restoring weapons. I'm using .9.1 tiles for Mac, if it matters. Thank you!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 10:28

runequester wrote:Is a felid berserker completely insane? :)

I think it is rather good Trog gives you a lot of options for survive, and Felid gives more of them.

Another good option is FeMo (or FeTr) of Nemelex. I still couldn't become friendly with Nemelex but it looks like he is one of the most powerful gods in Crawl when you find your way with him.

For this message the author lifecoder has received thanks:
runequester

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 11:15

Re: Do Weapons Lose Damage Over Time?

jecowa wrote:I have a Hafling Assassin. He used to have a +2, +2 dagger, now it is +2,-4. Every dagger he uses loses damage points over time. Is there some way to repair weapons? I've searched the wiki and couldn't find anything on restoring weapons. I'm using .9.1 tiles for Mac, if it matters. Thank you!

Sounds like you've been fighting jellies - they corrode your weapon when you hit them, and corrode your armour when they hit you. Corroded gear can be restored by using scrolls of enchant weapon/armour, but you're probably better off saving them to use on better gear than your starting stuff.

To avoid this, you need gear to be enchanted to +5 or better, or artefacts, but the best (though tedious) way to kill jellies is by throwing stones at them (or using spells if you have them.) Don't throw/fire anything else though, as the jellies will eat it and heal themselves.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks: 2
jecowa, MyOtheHedgeFox

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 14:44

Thanks guys. I started the cat last night and actually managed to get further than I have before. Stealth plus berserk equals kitty pounce :)

I suppose fighting rat hordes as a kitty is thematically appropriate as well, and the blighters go down a treat. No veggies but I can eat cheese. Rat fondue anyone?

Im concerned about a lack of ranged attacks. Anything to fuss about or do I just run away from things that I can't safely melee?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 14:49

Another question:

how exactly does speed work mechanically. My felid has it as a mutation and i occasionally outrun monsters.
Does it just mean it takes less time units per square moved or?

Thanks in advance

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 15:17

Re: Do Weapons Lose Damage Over Time?

jecowa wrote:I have a Hafling Assassin. He used to have a +2, +2 dagger, now it is +2,-4.

A bit more on jellies, they're very evil as they will crawl around and eat all your loot, and as they eat they spawn more jellies. Once when I didn't understand this, I ended up with a floor full of about 15 jellies. You want to kill them quickly. I rate them worth using up wand charges if I don't have time to stone them to death.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 15:20

Level 12 Mummy Wizard with a home made +6/+4 elf dagger of venom, worshipping Sif Muna and thus lots of spellbooks (and more to come). There's an atrifact +10/+4 Trident of the Octopus king (venom, rElec, rPoison, MR) in a shop for 1774 gold, and a scroll of acquirement somewhere else for 572 gold. (Note that the mummy has rPoison built in).

Should I

1. Ignore the trident and the scroll.
2. Buy the scroll later and use it to get more gold or something else.
3. Buy the scroll and use it for gold and hope it's enough to buy the trident.
4. Save money to buy the trident later.

--

Is it possible to change a brand on a non-artifact weapon that already has a brand? I used five scrolls on that dagger of venom, an it would be cool if it could be changed to some other brand.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 15:46

Only the deities (The Shining One, Kikubaaqudgha, Lugonu and Xom) can change the brand on a branded weapon to the one they support (holy wrath, pain, distortion and chaos), and most do it only once. Xom does it whenever he wants to.
Last edited by MyOtheHedgeFox on Saturday, 14th January 2012, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 16:00

Hm, it's more for the resistances than anything. It's better than the dagger, so it might be better than dying with lots of money. On the other hand the stores are full of usefull jewelry and spellbooks...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 16:27

Re: Load of newbie questions

runequester wrote:I think I am going to stick with one race/class combo for a bit to learn faster. I did have some great work with a kobold hunter, but for now.. human fighter is where it's gonna be at for a while.

This is a good idea but please be aware that HuFi is a fairly challenging build, especially if you take Okawaru. Playing with a challenge build can be like practicing swordfighting with a lead sword - it's difficult and frustrating but when you switch swords you'll be ahead of the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 17:12

Mummy wizards don't care about having a strong weapon, and if you do decide to hybridize eventually you should wait until you have a really good weapon to do it with. Tridents in general are only good in the early game, and being an artefact trident actually makes it worse because you're locked out of ever getting the damage bonus up farther. 1700 gold is too much to spend on an upgrade to mediocrity and planned obsolescence. rElec is not an important resistance; there are generally sufficient potions of resistance available to deal with the very few threats in the game that attack with that element.

If you have a book store and a jewellery store available, one or both of them almost certainly has something more worth buying than that trident.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 17:46

Thanks for the heads up. I actually did a side run as a felid berserker and that's going really well.

I'll experiment a bit and see what works out for me. The reason the human seemed like a good starting point is a lack of any obvious weak points in skills. I figure I can hopefully add some spell casting later on, if I can find some decent, light armour. Keep it pretty flexible.

But anything is up for debate and change :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 17:49

Note that troll fighters are an exception to the rule. In light of their atrocious dodging, armor restrictions, and preference for unarmed combat, the guaranteed starting shield tends to be a stronger choice than beginning with Trog.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 18:04

Apparently Mimics were changed back to the old version where they move and stuff? How should one deal with them as a MuWz? All my magic is Necromancy/Summoning and I lack any destruction spells.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 18:11

sir_laser wrote:Apparently Mimics were changed back to the old version where they move and stuff? How should one deal with them as a MuWz? All my magic is Necromancy/Summoning and I lack any destruction spells.

If you can't easily kill them, exclude their surrounding tiles with Xee and ignore them.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 19:54

sir_laser wrote:Apparently Mimics were changed back to the old version where they move and stuff? How should one deal with them as a MuWz? All my magic is Necromancy/Summoning and I lack any destruction spells.

It looks like mimics take damage from nearly anything. I got them down with stabber by using sleep or confusion spell (play a while ago, couldn't remember which one exactly kills them). Also rocks are fine, and enchanted sling with couple of projectiles too (and I'm sure you get one before mimics and take, it is very useful for pulling enemies one by one).

___
Is LOS always equal for character and monsters (in case of spells/mutations)?
Added: how enemy AI works for normal ones (not pacified) when player is not in LOS? Just run into an orc and Sigmund, and last one was invisible when I run into the room. Thanksfully, this time I try melee build so with the help of RNG run away alive, but it is very frustrating. Checking back the log say that I really found him in the invis state. So, does he fight an Orc before I enter the room (and so cast Inv on himself), or just was generated in Inv state, or any other variant?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 22:10

KoboldLord wrote:Mummy wizards don't care about having a strong weapon, and if you do decide to hybridize eventually you should wait until you have a really good weapon to do it with. Tridents in general are only good in the early game, and being an artefact trident actually makes it worse because you're locked out of ever getting the damage bonus up farther. 1700 gold is too much to spend on an upgrade to mediocrity and planned obsolescence. rElec is not an important resistance; there are generally sufficient potions of resistance available to deal with the very few threats in the game that attack with that element.

I've finally bought some auxiliary stuff like a robe of resistances, a ring of see invisible, some armour with bonus and stuff like that. The rElec would have been nice (mummies can't drink potions), but usually a layer of twenty summons from the Demonic Horde is good enough to fend off any monsters throwing lightning. Found two more scrolls of acquirement and used one for about 1300 gold to buy all that stuff. The book of wizardry (Haste + Invisibility) or the Necronomicon (Haunt is the only usable spell for a mummy) should soon give mee all I need.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 00:26

another newbie question:

When an attack misses, does that indicate the target evaded? Or can attacks miss on their own?

In other words, I guess what I am asking is.. does the game make a to hit that has to meet a certain threshold, or does it just compare attack rolls and evasion/shield rolls?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 06:41

rebthor wrote:evilmike or one of the other devs, how does AC work compared to GDR? I know GDR only applies to things attacking in melee - does it apply after the damage reduction is done by AC?

AFAIK, GDR is a number between 0% and 33%. It represents the minimum reliability of your armour.

So, 20 AC with 0% GDR will absorb anywhere between 0 and 20 damage from each hit, whereas 20 AC with 20% GDR will absorb between 4 and 20 damage from each hit.

Not msure what it's affected by, though. Armour skill maybe?

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 15:12

Does curare do anything against Mennas?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 15:37

No. He is poison-resistant.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 16:42

runequester wrote:another newbie question:

When an attack misses, does that indicate the target evaded? Or can attacks miss on their own?

In other words, I guess what I am asking is.. does the game make a to hit that has to meet a certain threshold, or does it just compare attack rolls and evasion/shield rolls?

There is always a 5% chance of missing the monster except for attacks with to_hit >= AUTOMATIC_HIT (e.g. sticky flame).

runequester

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 17:26

CommanderC wrote:
runequester wrote:another newbie question:

There is always a 5% chance of missing the monster except for attacks with to_hit >= AUTOMATIC_HIT (e.g. sticky flame).

I see. So 5% chance of missing regardless, and otherwise its up to evasion and shields?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 17:59

Pteriforever wrote:
rebthor wrote:evilmike or one of the other devs, how does AC work compared to GDR? I know GDR only applies to things attacking in melee - does it apply after the damage reduction is done by AC?

AFAIK, GDR is a number between 0% and 33%. It represents the minimum reliability of your armour.

So, 20 AC with 0% GDR will absorb anywhere between 0 and 20 damage from each hit, whereas 20 AC with 20% GDR will absorb between 4 and 20 damage from each hit.

Not msure what it's affected by, though. Armour skill maybe?

Not quite on the 0-33% thing.
See http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=GDR

The only thing that affects is is the base AC of the piece of body armor in question (that is, the AC without any + or - from enchantment or damage). It only applies to body armor - AC from peripheral equipment doesn't receive GDR.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 18:04

runequester wrote:I see. So 5% chance of missing regardless, and otherwise its up to evasion and shields?

Almost. Shield blocking is checked before all that.

runequester
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice