New unrandarts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 30th December 2011, 08:55

Re: New unrandarts

Added another suggestion.
The +1 Gauntlet of Dartmaster {EV-1}: a single gauntlet with a metallic plate on the outer side of the palm: attached to this plate is a peculiar mechanism that can hold a dart and later release it with a swift movement of a hand. The device seems to be imbued with some charms, for the darts thrown in this strange manner hit better and harder; and if that is not enough, each dart is tipped with poison before it is thrown! However, it is slightly hard to dodge attacks with such a device attached to you.

When worn, this glove slighly improves accuracy and damage for all thrown darts (as a +2~+3 enchantment) and temporarily brands them with venom.
Can't tell if it is going to be useful after all, but the idea of Portable Hand Crossbow was bugging me for quite a while. And those poison darts were definitely rare. I'd say it will find its users!

Sorry for the description that leaves much to be desired and edited.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st December 2011, 11:44

That seems like one of the things that are cool when you find them on D:3 but pretty weak past D:10 and basically useless past D:15. Darts have a base damage of 3... this is like bad ranged daggers of venom. And how often do you find unrands on D:3? It would be barely ever worth using. Perhaps some people would use it to finish off fleeing monsters but javelins do that job just as well.
The description is fine. I think the "better and harder" part could be reworded to "The darts shot from this device are more accurate and deadly" or something because it fits the +acc/+dam thing more (describes it with more accuracy).
Also, please change "Dartmaster" to "Darts Champion". Thanks. ;)

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 31st December 2011, 12:11

Well... What about replacing poison with a chance of pushing?
Whenever you hit an enemy with a dart thrown with this gauntlet, there is a chance he will stumble backwards.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 31st December 2011, 12:25

Two ideas:

Axe of the Warlord:

Orcish Handaxe +2 +2

All allies get +2 in chance to hit, to damage, a minor boost to attack speed, +2 to AC, +2 to EV

A change to the Leech

Demon blade +10 +4

negative life leech, (minor drain in life when attacking)
Positive Mana leech (minor mana drain when attacking

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st December 2011, 13:14

Artefacts are never racial, so that axe couldn't be orcish. Do you intend it to work for summoned creatures and non-orcish permanent allies too?

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 31st December 2011, 15:57

Cerebov - Yes, for all allies, the Orcish was just thematic so it's not really important.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 04:18

Daemon's Bane, a gleaming crossbow. +6 +6 enchantment, holy wrath branded.

Its unique property is that it does not use up crossbow bolts when fired: Instead, it fires magical bolts energy equivalent to an unenchanted bolt. While this means that you don't have to worry about ammo, it also means that you can't benefit from enchanted ammo of any sort.

(could probably use some balancing, I dunno)
Attachments
Daemon's Bane.png
Daemon's Bane.png (608 Bytes) Viewed 5977 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 05:24

I think having a special ranged artefact brand (prefixed with a '+', as in '+Poison' or '+Flaming') that adds a brand to any ammo, rather than replacing the existing ammo brand, might be pretty darn cool. Sort of emulating Nessos' ability to have flaming poison arrows.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 07:19

Just so long as we don't get holy silver bolts :/

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 09:11

alexor wrote:Daemon's Bane, a gleaming crossbow. +6 +6 enchantment, holy wrath branded.

Its unique property is that it does not use up crossbow bolts when fired: Instead, it fires magical bolts energy equivalent to an unenchanted bolt. While this means that you don't have to worry about ammo, it also means that you can't benefit from enchanted ammo of any sort.

(could probably use some balancing, I dunno)

Well, what about using MANA-(some_coefficient_involving_STR_to_make_strong_chars_benefit_from_i) points to shoot a bolt from it?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 16:05

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Well, what about using MANA-(some_coefficient_involving_STR_to_make_strong_chars_benefit_from_i) points to shoot a bolt from it?

Or just make it have charges like a rod.

What do you think of the sprite, by the way, I honestly spent more time on that than I did the rest of the idea.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 19:43

greepish wrote:Just so long as we don't get holy silver bolts :/

Can't you now? There are the unrandart holy launchers and TSO blessing (right?), and you put a silver bolt in there (silver isn't a brand, it's a material), and whala, holy silver bolt, Batman.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2012, 13:44

I think that greepish was more concerned about being on the receiving end of holy silver bolts, for those Demonspawn players.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 15th September 2012, 13:30

New unrandarts idea - amulets dedicated to "good" and "evil" gods, as well as the atheists:

1) "Amulet of Good Faith":
"This heavily encrusted amulet was once given by The Shining One to the angel, leading an army of Daevas in the aim of clearing out the Hell of any evil. Unfortunately the leading angel was killed by the Hell Guardians in one of the battles of holy war, and his army resolved; some says they became atheists, travelling through the world and spreading heresies amongst the believers".

=> faith
=> prevents spellcasting
=> rN +
=> dam +3
=> + 50 MR
=> + Warding
=> hunger +
=> (can be used only by worshippers of good gods; otherwise does not work or works as cursed amulet of inaccuracy).

2) "Amulet of Evil God":
"This human-bone made amulet once belonged to the Hell Knight that mysteriously disapeared - was probably killed by some holy being in one of the battles of holy war. It contains damned soul inside, smells blood and emits an unholy aura."

=> faith
=> prevents spellcasting
=> dam +6
=> lets go berserk
=> + gourmand
=> is cursed and may recurse itself
=> (can be used only by worshippers of evil gods; otherwise does not work or works as cursed amulet of inaccuracy).

These amulets are very rare in a dungeon and not useful for everyone (because they prevents casting spells).

There can be also:

3) "Amulet of Heresy":
"This amulet of unknown material was made by some fallen angel or daeva, sent by The Shining One to clear the hell out of any evil in the holy war. When their leading angel was killed in a holy war in the deepest void of hell, most of his forgotten and left without help army renounced the religion and established sect of heresiarhs. As they started travelling through the world propagating heresies and atheism as well as devastating every god`s altar, they are forever damned".

=> instead of normally used "faith" advantage, this amulet gives some tremendous powers (like protecting against most popular forms of punishment when abandoning a god, or maybe rN++ with rMut ..?)
=> it is cursed and may recurse itself
=> (can be used only of non-demigod non-religious players; otherwise does not work or works as cursed amulet of inaccuracy)

This one is obviously very rare (as the other amulets) and - also like the other amulets - not useful for everyone (you`d have to renounce religion to take advantage of it..)

These amulets are very rare, but the highest probability of founding them (if any) is somewhere in hell, or in the vestibute of hell.
They have some advantages and disadvantages. I don`t know if it`s all well balanced, but the properities of these amulets can be discussed.
Of course, worshippers of chaotic gods cannot use any of these.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 08:21

Hammer of the Mammoth +x +x(whatever is good for balance) Hammer {+5 str, Prot, -3 ev Rc+}
Hits do test to 'push' enemies. % chance and distance based on str vs enemy HD. Enemies pushed into a wall take extra damage. Enemies that would be pushed into a dangerous terrain get a second chance to save and move to another adjacent square(reducing the auto-drowning potential).
Evoke to push all visible enemies similarly. Costs hunger and breath.

Inspired by the notion of the a push effect on the 'dartmaster' glove above, and the fact that elephants have a push effect.
Last edited by iriswaters on Friday, 21st September 2012, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 11:30

"Zin's Silver Star" amulet unrand;

rMut, rRot, rPois, Hunger(+?)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 08:50

greepish wrote:The +5 Helm of Obscurity: Severe Darkness effect, but only for the user, not monsters You see a really poorly designed but sturdy helm

ooh NASTY

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 21st September 2012, 08:59

+x/+y lajatang "Steampunk" rF+, can be evoked to hurl /occassionaly engulfs character with ball of steam, noisy on evoke

Wierd lajatang made of rusty brass

There was a tiles request for Tukima's studio to appear steampunkish (I cannot find the link), so this would good candidate to spawn /have higher chance of spawning in here.
4 wins so far: MiBe (4), DrMo(15), HoFi(15), DsDK(6)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 22nd September 2012, 06:28

+7/+7 Staff of the Monkey King (Quarterstaff)
=> +Lev
=> EV+3
=> reaching

(possibly also has more base damage than normal quarterstaves)

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
Tiber

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th September 2012, 17:56

Why not +8,+8 since it's based on a Buddhist legend?
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 24th September 2012, 17:59

Stormfox wrote:Why not +8,+8 since it's based on a Buddhist legend?

Because then it would be Over Powered.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th September 2012, 18:49

The +0, -10 Gambler's Blade (Quickblade)

While normally this weapon doesn't do much damage, it has a small chance of instantly killing its victim (I'd say no higher than 5%, more likely around 1 or 2%).

The +5, +5 Crazy Yuif's Perfect Hammer (Chaos, noisy)

At long last, Crazy Yuif finally found the perfect hammer for his collection. Not only is this hammer just as unpredictable as its former owner, but it also makes the same crazed rantings. (Decent chance to spawn in Yuif's hut, especially if you get the one with tons of hammers).
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th September 2012, 18:59

About Crazy Yiuf, I would see this as nice unrandart:

Quarterstaff of Infinite Chaos +4/+4 quarterstaff (Chaos)
Whenever the wielder inflicts damage, it blinks him or her. Can be eVoked to obtain the effect of a Wand of random effects. Yes, indefinitely.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th September 2012, 00:29

unrand wand of recharging

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 25th September 2012, 02:38

The +4 Large Shield "Stalwart" {ponderous, HP+20, AC+5, rN+, MR} Also prevents teleports in the same way the Abyss does. Stasis and Regen are also possible, but I thought that might be treading too close to Maxwell's Armour and the Ring of Vitality. Might need rebalancing, but I like the idea of a super-strong shield with drawbacks.

The -6, +6 quick blade "The Cutting Edge" {distort, +blink, cTele, SInv} Occasionally harms, but never kills its user when attacking.

The -5 cloak of the wind {+Lev, rElec} Phases you in and out of invisibility like a sky beast, yet causes little to no glow.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th September 2012, 02:43

Amulet of Cursed Bloodline
=> cursed and re-curse itself
=> every melee hit of the user becomes vampiric
=> drains the user's HP continuously
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion