New unrandarts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 23rd January 2011, 15:55

Re: New unrandarts

What's the difference between an unrandart and a fixdart?

Anyhow, on fixed artifacts I like those the most that have a uniqe drawback, but powerful enough to worth try using it anyway.
My favorite is the singing sword.

I like to have some armour which is stronger than any other, but randomly blinks the player around. Or boot which gives large bonuses, allows binking, but prevent any (normal) movement.

Since fixed artifacts are rare enough, there could be some that enables the player to change it's playstyle completly. Like one staff that prevents spellcasting, but gives huge bonuses for memorised spells.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 23rd January 2011, 16:03

http://crawl.develz.org/learndb/index.html#artefact

Artefacts in Crawl come in three flavors. Randarts are a normal equippable item with zero or more special properties, like a +3 scale mail with electricity resistance. Unrandarts are like randarts, but specified as part of the game, like cekugob. Fixedarts are weapons with unique and deeply special properties, like the Sword of Power.
Mangled by Mennas

For this message the author starless has received thanks:
danr

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 22:18

Here's a few for starters; I'm lousy at graphics, so these tiles are just 'Frankensteins' of some of the game's current tiles:

half_pride.png
half_pride.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 13844 times

Item: Halfling's Pride
Unidentified: Dented White Buckler
Base Item: Buckler
Attributes: +3 enchant, +3 Dex, +5Accuracy, E(v)oke to Blink

black_scale.png
black_scale.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 13844 times

Item: Dark Iron Mail of the Blackened Smith
Unidentified: Blackened Scale Mail
Base Item: Scale Mail
Attributes: +5 enchant, Protection, F+, Preservation, +1 Str

demon_helm.png
demon_helm.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 13844 times

Item: Demon Helm "Darksight"
Unidentified: Dark Horned Helmet
Base Item: Helmet
Attributes: +3 enchant, +SInv, +Rage, E(v)oke to Summon Demon

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 13:52

Sorry for pushing this rusty, somewhat dusty thread up, but there are quite a few new unrandart suggestions in the Wiki. ;)

Being the owner of two-three of them, I, of course, will try to promote them! ^^

The +1 gauntlets of Lightning {Dex-1, rElec}: a strange pair of gauntlets, covered with weird-looking pieces and stripes of metal and cumbersome to wear. They appear to be one of the strange devices created by Nikola for his own means – and judging by the rust on the metal, their creator lost need in them soon after their creation.
Whenever you hit anyone in unarmed combat, there is a chance for an “explosion of sparks” (and each portion of sparks might cost you 1-5 HP).
Basically, they give electrocution brand to UC-lovers.

The +0 White Glove {rN}: A single glove of impeccable white colour made by an unknown battlemage. Nothing can stain this whiteness. It is capable of creating small projectiles that sear chaotic creatures like silver.

When evoked, this glove lets you throw a +1 silver dart that doesn't last too long in this realm; however, it still can seriously wound a chaotic or heavily mutated creature. (Food)
  Code:
You throw a +1 silver dart. The silver dart hits the kobold!
The silver dart disappears in a flash of light.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 15:28

[b]The Signing Sword[/i]

+7, +7 silver long sword. Always has 1-radius silence halo -- you're silenced when carrying it or standing on it. Evoke for short-duration Scroll of Silence effect. When wielded, retaliates with a smite-based attack against anything in LoS making noise -- shouts for attention, unique speech, non-demonic spellcasters.

Will not generate in the same game as The Singing Sword.

I know, no joke randarts ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
mageykun

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 17:23

Updated the White Glove suggestion.

Nvjack, would you have some time to add your "smite-based retaliation against everything that shouts" idea to the Silent Sword suggestion? This is going to make it extremely ass-silencing.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 17:31

An unrandart amulet of faith:

The amulet "Paladin's Soul" {Faith, GSpirit, rN+, Str +2, Stlth--}

Since there's no quickblade unrandarts here's a simple one:

The +1, +10 quickblade "Lacerator" {stab, dex +3} - A very sharp knife designed for combat purposes.
Last edited by TehDruid on Thursday, 15th December 2011, 19:17, edited 3 times in total.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 18:25

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Nvjack, would you have some time to add your "smite-based retaliation against everything that shouts" idea to the Silent Sword suggestion?

Aw, I knew someone had already thought of it. I like my name better, though.

This is going to make it extremely ass-silencing.

There's farting in Crawl? ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 13:55

njvack wrote:
This is going to make it extremely ass-silencing.

There's farting in Crawl? ;)

With what most characters are eating? Of course there is...why else would you suddenly blow a stealth roll?

(Insert obligatory joke about Mephitic Cloud, too.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 14:15

Jokes about Mephitic Cloud would be ridiculous. How can you make Projected Fart of green colour that would spread across three squares (nine square meters, say) and hold nearly for an hour -- and just for three mana units, and, more than that, make it repeatedly?

You're overestimating the wizards.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 18:08

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Jokes about Mephitic Cloud would be ridiculous. How can you make Projected Fart of green colour that would spread across three squares (nine square meters, say) and hold nearly for an hour -- and just for three mana units, and, more than that, make it repeatedly?

You're overestimating the wizards.

It's maybe SoulStorm.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 18:41

(sad_mudokon_voice) No-o-o-ou! (!sad_mudokon_voice)

And it explodes in explosion, not in a cloud.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 18:51

I've asked before.

Cupid's Bow +5, -5, Charm Brand.

Arrows fired from this Short Bow strike the heart and charm the target to work for the caster. Non-Cherubic (read: untalented wielders) may cause the target to become angry. Some targets may even become enraged with love.

Chance to Charm, Chance to Enrage, Chance to Charm/Enrage.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 21:00

Mephitic Cloud is easily explained. They stopped by Taco Bell on the way to the Dungeon.

Anyway, here's one...

the silver eudemon blade Zin's Judgement: (silver, rMut)

Other possible names that might sound better include Zin's Justice/Justice of Zin, Zin's Word/Word of Zin, Judgement of Zin, Zin's Wrath/Wrath of Zin, or switching out any instance of "Zin" with either "Law" or "The Law", aka Judgement of the Law.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

For this message the author TwilightPhoenix has received thanks:
mageykun

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 22:09

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Anyway, here's one...

Other possible names that might sound better include Zin's Justice/Justice of Zin, Zin's Word/Word of Zin, Judgement of Zin, Zin's Wrath/Wrath of Zin, or switching out any instance of "Zin" with either "Law" or "The Law", aka Judgement of the Law.

I like it.

Are there any artifact bardings?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 22:18

nicolae wrote:
TwilightPhoenix wrote:Anyway, here's one...

I like it.

Are there any artifact bardings?

I found one once. It was awesome looking, but I (1) couldn't afford it and (2) wasn't a centaur.

There need to be more Naga and Centaur armors both "available" and "artefact".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 22:22

XuaXua wrote:There need to be more Naga and Centaur armors both "available" and "artefact".

There's plenty of naga and centaur bardings available! To find them, just play anything other than a naga or barding.

An unrandart naga barding that grants speed, or a centaur unrand barding that grants sustenance, would probably be super popular.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 22:31

The former actually exists: speedy slithering, rElec, +3 and "running". Shows as a metallic naga barding.
There is also an unrand centaur barding but that one makes you ponderous.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 22:38

cerebovssquire wrote:There is also an unrand centaur barding but that one makes you ponderous.

What other properties does it have?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 22:41

It's the +10 Black Knight's Horse Barding, Hunger- and ponderous, and grants rN+.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2011, 23:55

nicolae wrote:There's plenty of naga and centaur bardings available! To find them, just play anything other than a naga or barding.

cerebovssquire wrote:It's the +10 Black Knight's Horse Barding, Hunger- and ponderous, and grants rN+.

That's the unrandart I found! I hope to get it next time I play a barding.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 00:26

I knew I put Cupid's Bow on the wiki, but it's here under New Brands, which is a good place to raid for cool ideas like Zongoldruk, Singing Sword and other weird, one-off concepts.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 00:53

nicolae wrote:To find them, just play anything other than a naga or barding.

XuaXua wrote:I hope to get it next time I play a barding.

?!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 01:00

MarvinPA wrote:
nicolae wrote:To find them, just play anything other than a naga or barding.

XuaXua wrote:I hope to get it next time I play a barding.

?!

What, you haven't played the latest trunk yet? Bardings. Newest gimmick species. You're a living piece of armor. You can't use anything and you can't move BUT you win by making every monster in the dungeon come to you and then eventually they beat themselves to death against you and then a draconian drops the orb.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 06:40

XuaXua wrote:I knew I put Cupid's Bow on the wiki, but it's here under New Brands, which is a good place to raid for cool ideas like Zongoldruk, Singing Sword and other weird, one-off concepts.

Still, remember that it is for brands, not for artefacts.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 06:54

An idea I had in an unrelated thread for a brand, that might work better as its own thing: the blade of self-loathing, which does extra foo-slaying damage vs. your own genus.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
TehDruid

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 19:03

nicolae wrote:An idea I had in an unrelated thread for a brand, that might work better as its own thing: the blade of self-loathing, which does extra foo-slaying damage vs. your own genus.

Well, consider the best case scenario, i.e. you're an orc (almost everything else is too rare, too late, or not a threat.) It would function like a slay-orc brand. When was the last time you were happy to see one of those?

There was formerly a proposed ring that would charm members of one's own race, and it had similar issues (consider how it would function for a halfling, a minotaur, an orc, and a draconian.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 19:13

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I knew I put Cupid's Bow on the wiki, but it's here under New Brands, which is a good place to raid for cool ideas like Zongoldruk, Singing Sword and other weird, one-off concepts.

Still, remember that it is for brands, not for artefacts.

The brand I mentioned was for Charm. In the description I mention a pack of Cupid's Arrows as a potential recipient for this.

Conceptually that would be some form of unrandart ammo if the brand was never applied globally.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 14:26

I like the ideas here and hope they do get implemented. Actually one thing that I think could have the potential to make Crawl more fun for customizers (or even allow mini-variants?) would be to have the ability to change unrandarts without having to recompile.

MyOtheHedgeFox - I've got a couple of language suggestions (feel free to ignore them if you don't like them!): "their creator lost need in them soon after their creation." Could be changed to something like: their creator lost them many moons ago.
"Nothing can stain this whiteness." To me this really begs for the question of: how do you know? So it could become: Despite spending years in the filth of the dungeon, its purity remains unstained.

Back when I was playing heavy armor fighters, something that struck me was that there were not enough unrandart axes, so:
  • The {-2,+13} Electrocutioners Executioner {rElec, Elec}: An oversized Executioners Axe. This looks a little unwieldy but undeniably deadly. This enormous axe was the weapon of a mighty Titan for so long that it began to take on a little of his powers.
  • Razor. A {+7,+7} broad axe {slice, +Tele, +Blink}: A razor sharp broad axe. An old story tells of a highly skilled blacksmith who set out to make a weapon so sharp that it could cut through the very fabric of reality itself. Perhaps he succeeded. (- Should this be distortion branded?)
The other thing that would be interesting are lots of nice -CAST artefacts, pehaps to the extent that when you find one early, you think "maybe I can 15-rune without magic"? As a general gameplay change, I'd probably like to cut down on the number of randarts that are great for everyone, but don't know exactly how. On that note:
  • The amulet "Negation" {rMut, MR, rF+, rC+, rN+, -CAST}. A powdery red amulet. A small amulet made of an unremarkable looking red stone. It is designed to protect the wielder from all the harmful effects of magic, especially the self-inflicted ones.

For this message the author dassem has received thanks:
mageykun

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 15:07

Hey, that last one actually sounds interesting. :)
It shouldn't be an amulet, though, those can be very easily switched out. It might work nicely as a wizard hat, cloak or robe. Alternatively, it could sometimes curse itself on being equipped. That way you could still easily switch it out, but it would cost some ?RC if you do it too often.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 09:17

The first one is OVERPOWERED. The second one looks nice.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 09:51

dassem wrote:"Nothing can stain this whiteness." To me this really begs for the question of: how do you know?

Says right there on the tag. "Tumble dry, nothing can stain this whiteness."

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
njvack

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 11:27

dassem wrote:MyOtheHedgeFox - I've got a couple of language suggestions (feel free to ignore them if you don't like them!): "their creator lost need in them soon after their creation." Could be changed to something like: their creator lost them many moons ago.
"Nothing can stain this whiteness." To me this really begs for the question of: how do you know? So it could become: Despite spending years in the filth of the dungeon, its purity remains unstained.

First of all, thank you for the remarks. =) I did make these descriptions in a hurry -- the ideas were more important.

About the gauntlets of Lightning: Nikola did not lose them, he simply threw them away somewhere like some people do with short swords of draining or useless artefacts. Fortunately, the gauntlets did not end up molten in a river of lava, and now you can wear them!
"Their creator lost interest in them quite soon," then.

The second one is a good call, thanks. =) Your description seems to be neater.

Too bad English is not my native language. I was making item descriptions for a role-playing game myself, and I know how it feels when a game fan suggests you some lame half-baked description because he can't make anything better at the moment. :oops:

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 13:08

Thanks MyOtheHedgeFox! :)
Oh, and just in case it wasn't clear, I did mean to say that I include your suggestions in the ones I thought were good! And your latest wording is better too.
English is a tricky language, even though it's my first. The biggest problem for me is apostrophes. If I start to think about where they should go then I confuse myself and either have to look it up or just get it wrong. :-)

As for the big axe being overpowered, you could be right, especially for the early game. :) My point of comparison was that in the last few games I ended up with something close to a {+9,+9} Demon trident of reaching and freezing. I seem to be making them myself and pretty much ignore artifact weapons. While it's nice to have something to do with those EW scrolls, it'd be nicer to make the exact choice tougher. So I wanted the +Dam out of the range that you could make yourself, with a little -Acc to prevent it from always being a no-brainer. Also, Elec is not the optimal late game choice.

Galefury - Yes definitely that would work better. Feel free to use/abuse/change or include it!

I've got a bit too much work at the moment, so I'm trying to not play for a little while. Although all this talk of axes has definitely made me want to start just one quick beserker. Or maybe a hill-orc switch to TSO for a blessed executioners axe...

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 16:43

Apostrophes are fairly easy to me. Prepositions and "verb+prep" verbs are the hardest-to-remember parts for me right now.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 17:00

dassem wrote:The biggest problem for me is apostrophes. If I start to think about where they should go then I confuse myself and either have to look it up or just get it wrong. :-)

There are a lot of native English speakers who can't work apostrophes either, so if you slip up at least you can still blend in.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 18:36

The +6,+6 Mace of Bounciness: {distortion}, Forces Teleport

The +0,+1 Stone of Immortality: {returning} Doesn't get used up on sandblasting.

The +20,+20 Executioner's Axe of Desperation: {chaos},+MUT,-TELE

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 18:59

Despair, not Desperation. ;)

What about "Stone of Eternity" or something like that? A stone of Immortality should give what its name means: the idea is quite unusual, still.
But I think Earth Elementalists are already Gaara-powerful, so this artefact will only give them an additional plus.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 19:01

Well, I just called it immortality to be ironic. Kinda funny if you're expecting the stone to give immortality, when it's the stone that never dies XD

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 20:39

Earth Elementalists running out of stones past D:3 when unrands start to spawn is not only uncommon, but you'll basically never find that on D:3 when you are playing an Earth Elementalist. If you find it late, melee is much stronger than Sandblast. It would barely do anything for them, actually.
Also, "Bounciness", really? Really? :P

I'd really like to see the Demon Helm and Halfling's Pride in, by the way; so the helm isn't totally unbalanced I'd give it HP or MP costs to Summon Demon, probably both. Also, I see no reason to give the Blackened Mail Protect instead of just +10 AC, with that minor change I would love that in as well.

In my opinion leave Razor as it is, but this is mostly just because I hate distortion brands. ;)

Also, Lightning Lash seems very lame. It's just "a good whip of electrocution" and barely different from the one Pikel can carry, for instance. For the same reason, please take Snakebite out, someone.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 21:24

Hey, don't diss the mace of bounciness! It's awesome.

Anyways, now for some armour ...

The +4 Lead Boots: {ponderous} -2 EV
The +3 Gelatinous Robe: rElec, monsters striking you in melee take damage
The +5 Helm of Obscurity: Severe Darkness effect, but only for the user, not monsters You see a really poorly designed but sturdy helm
The -2 Glove of Butterfingers: {Cursed} -6 Dex
The +5 Dragon Hide Buckler: rF++, rC-

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th December 2011, 02:16

greepish wrote:The +4 Lead Boots: {ponderous} -2 EV

A lead artifact should give rMut. Actually, it should somehow protect from glow, if that would be meaningfully distinct. Although, I suppose this would be not as noticeable on the feet...maybe boots of stone, and a lead vest (or lead shield?)

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 21:23

There's a drought in footwear artifacts, as far as I'm concerned there's only boots of the assassin.

This a classic from ancient Greek mythology in a way I believe it should translate in-game:

The +0 Hermes' Sandals {speed, forced levitate at all times}
OR
The +0 Hermes' Sandals {+lev similar to boots of levitation, speed only while levitating}

Unidentified: A pair of feathered sandals
MuCK;
  Code:

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 00:46

Levitate always sounds annoying, having to put the shoes on and off, I'd just have +Lev

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 01:26

greepish wrote:Levitate always sounds annoying, having to put the shoes on and off, I'd just have +Lev

I agree that a) might be annoying, but... The point IS annoyance. If you want the speed bonus, you must evoke the boots flying ability. That's all. Having both speed and levitate boots wherever you want with a cFly source (draco 0.10, amulet) possibly too, is pretty OP (you gain a better carrying capacity, let alone float wherever you want without having to rebuff flight) especially in the abyss. If I just added +Lev, I wouldn't like it and probably nobody else would since it's a low-AC pair of un-corrode-able boots of levitation.
MuCK;
  Code:

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 01:28

I got an idea... how about making it curse/recurse *grin*. Could be pretty fatal if you had no remove curse, but then again it IS an artifact...

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 01:41

Yeah, I thought of adding {curse}: On b) it's ok, but on a) the only ways you could remove it are: Some sort of -cFly source in your inventory, whether spell or amulet, ability to shapeshift into something with no boots slots, or remove curse scrolls, of course. That could be incredibly fatal to someone unspoiled... Maybe the item could have a description that warns you about how disobedient the sandals are. ;)
MuCK;
  Code:

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 08:36

Might as well throw some of my ideas into the mix.

Amulet of the Divine Guardian:
{Guardian Spirit, rN++, Stealth---} Each time you are hit and lose MP while wearing this Amulet there is an (MP lost * 2)% chance of summoning a friendly servant of a good god.
A Glistening Golden Amulet (UnIDed)

+3 Borgnjor's Ghouleather Armor {rN+, gourmand, curse} This armor functions as troll leather armor, but also causes the wearer to rot over time and gain health from meat like a ghoul.
Wriggling Rotten Armor (UnIDed)
Next

Return to Game Design Discussion