Sounds good on paper...

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 15:33

Sounds good on paper...

Ever had an idea for a build that sounds awesome but you can never get off the ground for whatever reason? Right now I am stuck trying to get a ghoul conjurer going. It looks workable, claws and fighting to get you through early game, a good start on conjurations, ice magic works up better than average. The problem I have is he is all offence, and not very good at it at the start. I barely make it to temple, and never last long enough to get any sort of devotion going on. Defence sucks so I almost always end up being a centaurs pincushion. Anyways, what is your red herring?

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 16:49

Re: Sounds good on paper...

Basically any Mummy build. I extremely rarely manage to get them post-Lair. Granted, Mummies don't sound good on paper due to their craptastic apts, no berserking and no potions of cure wounds.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 19:07

OgWz. Sounds similar to the GhCj issue you have. I know this is a viable combo because I see people post about them all the time, but I never seem to make it to Lair.

I think the robustness of the Ogre makes me less want to run, whereas if I saw something like an orc priest with a Deep Elf early, I'd hightail it as fast as I could.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2011, 19:17

Kenku fire elementalist - with the fire/conjurations aptitudes you ought to be able to do awesome damage very quickly, and probably get Fire Storm castable even quicker than a DEFE.

The problem ends up being that of your two powerful midgame spells, Sticky Flame is only usable at melee range, and Fireball makes a lot of noise and wakes everything up. Neither of these things are good when you are as fragile as a kenku.

Though actually most of my attempts have died to stupidity or underestimating how fragile I was. My most successful run got to Zot, but for some reason I worshipped Makhleb rather than Vehumet, and never found any fire or conjurations spells beyond those in the starting book, so was relying largely on summoning by the late game. With a bit of care I could easily have won, but wasn't quite cautious enough when I met a player ghost and got blasted by Ice Storm on Zot:2 or 3.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 14:28

Any air elementalist. They are quite fragile and shock seems underpowered respect magic dart
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 10:32

Roderic is right. Even with new Static Discharge, which is excellent against packs of weak opponents, Air Elementalists are fragile in the debut.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 11:13

I got my first win with a HEAE, and didn't find it particularly fragile - but I guess HE is one of the most powerful species, and that was when they got Mephitic Cloud (but not Lightning Bolt) in the starting book, and Tornado was awesomely awesome.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 15:53

The trick with air elementalists is mobility. You get swiftness in the starting book. Don't hesitate to use it.

(it is effective both on offense and on defense; you can both kite enemies and run)

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 18:42

Enchanters, I can't win one to save my life. Everything goes wrong, and I feel like I constantly get undead vaults/spawns early-game whenver I start one.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 17:50

Can't you Confuse the undead?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 22:16

Indeed. Confusion works on damn near everything, and very little in the early game has enough MR to withstand more than a couple of casts. As opposed to FE's running into crimson imps, or IE's running into those same undead before they get Throw Icicle up (and it being level 4 vs. Confuse's level 3 makes it that much harder).

On top of it, enchanters start with some Throwing, so they can always fling stuff at the undead if Confuse isn't up or isn't reliable / hunger-effective enough.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice