Baggage you brought with you from other games

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 02:55

Baggage you brought with you from other games

I know someone mentioned in the "That thing you do" thread about trying to only shoot in cardinal directions after being a Nethack player for a while, but I wondering if anyone else had brought over rules in their minds that were never a part of Crawl.

Personally?

I didn't realise flags like slicing, chopping, etc. and 'vorpal' were the same thing.
I expect gold to have weight, have been known to drop it to try and lessen my encumbrance.
When on CAO, I see swarms of killer bees and think they're kobolds and get poisoned to death; I think mushrooms are gelatinous cubes, and charge across rooms to attack them.
I'm still in the mindset that if a monster becomes hasted, or invisible, it will stay that way forever. It's always a shock to see one reappear out of nowhere.
I have a nagging feeling that too many mutations will turn me into a blob of primal chaos.

On the flipside, if I play any RL other than Crawl nowadays, I keep wondering why the autoexplore function is broken...

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 06:37

Re: Baggage you brought with you from other games

Wolfechu wrote:I have a nagging feeling that too many mutations will turn me into a blob of primal chaos.

On the flipside, if I play any RL other than Crawl nowadays, I keep wondering why the autoexplore function is broken...

These. I've played adom for years, so mutations scare me on a very deep level. And Angband is certainly a game that needs an autoexplore feature. On the other hand, the flavours of orc aren't so scary in Angband. Or troll. But c scares me until I remember centaurs aren't in that game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 10:13

There's hardly another roguelike I'd play due to no autoexplore. I can't fathom the tedium people must put up with.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 15:49

Try playing DCSS Tiles version on a computer with a cheap video card that doesn't support Crawl's graphics libraries. It moves so slowly there may as well not be auto-explore.

What I _don't_ miss: cockatrices and choking to death on my food.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 16:10

For a long time I stair-dipped reflexively, a Nethack habit born of frequent shaft traps.

It was only when someone on this forum explained about timed vaults and what that did to them, that I understood that Ossuaries and Labyrinths (and so on) weren't ultra-rare occurrences, I was just systematically making sure I never saw them.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner