Mountain Dwarf, what class/god?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 02:47

Mountain Dwarf, what class/god?

I've never tried a Md, and since they're shuffling offstage I guess I'd better while I've got the chance.

Curious what people like as a class and god for Mds.

I'm thinking Gladiator for class, mostly because of the starting shield.

God is a more interesting question. I've mostly played Trog, Okawaru, and Sif Muna. I'd like to try something new here. I'm leaning toward Zin, but also open to doing something a little different like Lugonu or Elyvilon.

What do you guys like for Gimli?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 03:07

Re: Mountain Dwarf, what class/god?

Gladiators do not start with a shield, fighters do. A very popular combo was MDFi of Okawaru. You might like Makhleb a lot he offers good ultility to a melee fighter and is a lot of fun to play. He will give you a piety free "spell" (minor destruction) at **, and he also gives you healing when you kill, and can summon (usually but depending on your invocations skill) friendly demons to help you out. MDAK is also a solid combo, if you want to worship Lugonu, you'll want to do it from the start as an abyssal knight as her alter only spawns in the abyss (unless you get a "corrupted temple" by chance, but it is only guaranteed in the abyss) Elyvilon is also a very powerful option.

Personally I have not played Makhleb a lot but I have heard great things about him, people seem to love playing him. I'd give that a go. I am quite partial to abyssal knights though :mrgreen:

EDIT: Trog's trog. Pretty straight forward strong god but no casting. He will easily last you through a 3 rune game. Zin is meh. Fun, but I wouldn't start Zin in stable. He gets buffed in trunk though and is more fun, but you won't get the god zin andmountain dwarfs. But then just fill in minotaur or hill orc in the place of mountain dwarf and you will be fine.
Last edited by AtT on Friday, 2nd December 2011, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 03:22

Well if you don't want oka or trog, nemelex is the next strongest since you don't really have anything better to spend your exp on than evocations. Problem is nemelex takes some getting used to, and using him incorrectly can be as dangerous as playing Xom.

Edit: Oh and fighter :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 05:09

MD priest of El, passivate everything an increase your Armor and Invocations to super high levels, get to one or two runes, swap to TSO and win. Save a demon whip/trident for TSO to bless, just remember to never use it when you're wielding it (to drop all your enchant scrolls into it) till you're ready to have it blessed.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 05:51

XuaXua wrote:just remember to never use it when you're wielding it (to drop all your enchant scrolls into it) till you're ready to have it blessed.

could you clarify on this statement for me please?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 06:04

AtT wrote:
XuaXua wrote:just remember to never use it when you're wielding it (to drop all your enchant scrolls into it) till you're ready to have it blessed.

TSO hates demon weapons and if you attack with one it is a sin.

For this message the author Blade has received thanks:
AtT

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 12:25

MDFi of Cheibirados, if you don't mind to become a living tank
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 12:43

Gladiators start with a buckler, unless you begin with a quarterstaff. 8-)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 12:49

Roderic wrote:MDFi of Cheibirados, if you don't mind to become a living tank

Edit: Ah nevermind, forgot about the stat boosts. Sounds a bit difficult to survive until you learn Ctele or Cblink, though.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 13:13

If you don't fight with your bare hands, don't pick Chei, 'cause you'll waste the STR and the DEX boost.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 13:20

I'd say fighter, because MD is IMO the only species for which you could make some kind of argument that fighter is a better choice than gladiator. Once MD are gone, they might as well remove the fighter background as well.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 14:22

Hunter is an excellent background for mountain dwarves, and Artificer is also good.

Jeremiah wrote:Once MD are gone, they might as well remove the fighter background as well.
I agree completely with you. Fighter background needs some serious reform.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 18:21

Blade wrote:
AtT wrote:

TSO hates demon weapons and if you attack with one it is a sin.

EVEN IF you just attack a bush to figure out what the plusses are (to maximize enchant scroll application if you have multiple demon weapons available, which happens...)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 2nd December 2011, 19:12

I suggest inscribing the demon weapon with "!a" to prevent accidentally attacking with it until you get it blessed.

Also- Heavy armor MDAs of Xom. :lol:

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2011, 16:37

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions and corrections. Elyvion sounds interesting. See you in the YAVP rolls, I hope. :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 22:51

Jeremiah wrote:I'd say fighter, because MD is IMO the only species for which you could make some kind of argument that fighter is a better choice than gladiator. Once MD are gone, they might as well remove the fighter background as well.

Wait, why'd they remove the MD?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 22:55

Lugh wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:I'd say fighter, because MD is IMO the only species for which you could make some kind of argument that fighter is a better choice than gladiator. Once MD are gone, they might as well remove the fighter background as well.

Too similar to Hill Orcs and... another species. Removing them frees up one slot of the 27 for diversification. Probably going to be replaced with Forge Dwarves, as that seems like the next up-n-coming developed species.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 15th January 2012, 23:04

XuaXua wrote:
Lugh wrote:

Too similar to Hill Orcs and... another species. Removing them frees up one slot of the 27 for diversification. Probably going to be replaced with Forge Dwarves, as that seems like the next up-n-coming developed species.

I was ready to be up in arms, but being replaced with a new type of much more distinct dwarf with their own gimmick sounds like a really good idea.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice