No Jiyva Alter by 11

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 15:28

No Jiyva Alter by 11

I'm through dungeon 11, and I haven't found a Jiyva altar. Is it hidden? I read somewhere that all altars load in the first few levels. Is this true? This was a Lugonu Ecumentical Temple load, would that effect it? If the Jiyva altar is hidden on a dungeon floor, how can I find it? Would "distant slurping" help?

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 15:51

Re: No Jiyva Alter by 11

Can we have a full list of the "non-Temple" gods in current trunk? I've never seen Jiyva show up early on, so I'm suspecting its still him, Beogh, Lugonu. Of course there are still the overflow altars...

BTW, I've never seen Jiyva show up in Temple, either in it or as an overflow. Jiyva seems to spawn in/near Slime or in jelly vaults.

"Distant slurping" is a jelly eating an item on your current floor. "Squelching" is a jelly splitting in two.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 16:33

Jiyva never appears in the Temple, nor is an altar guaranteed on any other levels, except the bottom level of the Slime Pits.
I've seen altars in the Lair, on the upper of levels of the Pits, and occasionally in the Dungeon.
Mangled by Mennas

For this message the author starless has received thanks:
styrix

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 17:17

Even if you find an early Jiyva altar, like on say, D:4, those slimes are going to eat alot of your early xp and loot. Might want to clear down to the slime pits anyway and come back later.

Oh, and there's a gauranteed altar spawn in Slime:6. It's right next to the gaurenteed sleeping royal jelly. There's also gaurenteed sleeping acid blobs guarding the corridors if you try to sneak up there. Luckily, the slimes turn peaceful during the turn you spend praying.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 19:50

Well, I'd love to convert to Jiyva early. A fun for me would be "Mutant". Start with worshiping Jiyva, and semi-random abilities like the wanderer. Maybe the race's training in favored weapon, favored school of magic, and dodge (depending on race). Like the wanderer, but a little more guided toward mutant fun. Maybe even start with a potion of mutation, just so the first act can even be "quaff".

Anyway, for now, I'll contemplate a run to the slime pits. Here's hoping I don't burn on the walls.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 18th January 2011, 21:01

I thought Jiyva was supposed to be a late-game god for people who wanted beneficial mutations?

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 19th January 2011, 02:06

jackalKnight wrote:I thought Jiyva was supposed to be a late-game god for people who wanted beneficial mutations?
That's a recommended strategy, but "supposed to be"? I like Jiyva because he's fun.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 19th January 2011, 02:46

Starting with a potion of mutation would lead to some extreme scumming opportunities.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 19th January 2011, 22:55

Yeah, starting with one would be a bad idea.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice