keyboard controls

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 10th August 2020, 19:54

keyboard controls

Could the keys P (for Put on Jewelry), and W (for Wear an item) become toggleable, so that P becomes put on, or take off if already on; and W becomes wear, or remove if already wearing?

Just a thought.
MM

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th August 2020, 22:26

Re: keyboard controls

I don't know about other people, but I almost never use Take off or Remove. So I think such a change is a good idea.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

vt

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 10th August 2020, 23:45

If I understand you right, there is an existing option that does this:

equip_unequip = false
If this is true, selecting an already-equipped piece of equipment via
the 'w', 'W' or 'P' menus (for weapons, armour or jewellery
respectively) will unequip that item.

Is this a request to change the default setting? Or, is the problem solved with knowing about the option?

For this message the author vt has received thanks:
andrew

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2020, 18:35

Shtopit wrote:I don't know about other people, but I almost never use Take off or Remove. So I think such a change is a good idea.

Do you mean "I use the option that lets me swap equipment with P and W" or do you mean "I am nearly always wearing/putting on a *different* bit of equipment and so just I swap out the desired one with the one I don't want to use any longer"

Personally, I'm in the latter camp, but when I want to take something off, I always use T or R, however I would find it to actually be really really bad thing to have the default be to remove things with the W or P keys, as I'd hit the wrong thing occasionally and not notice I'd taken something off when I meant to put it on, and it'd kill me sometimes. I hit keys really fast and don't always use my eyes as much as I should.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2020, 01:42

Siegurt wrote:Personally, I'm in the latter camp, but when I want to take something off, I always use T or R, however I would find it to actually be really really bad thing to have the default be to remove things with the W or P keys, as I'd hit the wrong thing occasionally and not notice I'd taken something off when I meant to put it on, and it'd kill me sometimes. I hit keys really fast and don't always use my eyes as much as I should.

Agreed. I wouldn't, though, mind making 'T' and 'R' synonyms; I use both of them rarely enough that I'd just as soon see them merged to a generic "unequip" command.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2020, 01:55

Siegurt wrote:Do you mean "I use the option that lets me swap equipment with P and W" or do you mean "I am nearly always wearing/putting on a *different* bit of equipment and so just I swap out the desired one with the one I don't want to use any longer"

Personally, I'm in the latter camp, but when I want to take something off, I always use T or R, however I would find it to actually be really really bad thing to have the default be to remove things with the W or P keys, as I'd hit the wrong thing occasionally and not notice I'd taken something off when I meant to put it on, and it'd kill me sometimes. I hit keys really fast and don't always use my eyes as much as I should.

Either I put on something different, or I simply drop the item. I find it hard to remember what T and R do, because I almost never use them.

andrew wrote:Agreed. I wouldn't, though, mind making 'T' and 'R' synonyms; I use both of them rarely enough that I'd just as soon see them merged to a generic "unequip" command.

This sounds good to me. We could add "u" to the list, then, and we'd be still saving 2 keys. There isn't an "unquiver" button, right?
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2020, 03:30

Shtopit wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Do you mean "I use the option that lets me swap equipment with P and W" or do you mean "I am nearly always wearing/putting on a *different* bit of equipment and so just I swap out the desired one with the one I don't want to use any longer"

Either I put on something different, or I simply drop the item. I find it hard to remember what T and R do, because I almost never use them.

andrew wrote:Agreed. I wouldn't, though, mind making 'T' and 'R' synonyms; I use both of them rarely enough that I'd just as soon see them merged to a generic "unequip" command.

This sounds good to me. We could add "u" to the list, then, and we'd be still saving 2 keys. There isn't an "unquiver" button, right?

"u" is "Go Up/Right Diagonal"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2020, 09:47

Siegurt wrote:"u" is "Go Up/Right Diagonal"

You're right, "u" is unwield only if you are reading the item stats. The ? -> ? list gives me "-" for unwield ("- for none"), which I think I remember using in the past, however it opens up the doll menu on my computer.

Unwield however could be useful for some transmuter or certain kinds of ranged character that alternate with unarmed, so I'm not sure it should be merged with the other.

EDIT: Ugh, I had forgotten it's w and then - to unwield your weapon. I see no advantage in merging it with R or T.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2020, 19:42

Shtopit wrote:Unwield however could be useful for some transmuter or certain kinds of ranged character that alternate with unarmed

Also if you = (adjust the letter of) your ranged weapon to 'b' and put a non-weapon in 'a' (or vice versa) you can use ' (the apostrophe key) to swap between unarmed and the ranged weapon (the same way you can swap between weapons that are in the 'a' and 'b' slots.)

andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2020, 23:20

Right, I did not mean to suggest that the letter should be changed to 'u'.

Return to Game Design Discussion