YASD: OpHu ^ Oka. Throwing still strong.

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 2nd November 2019, 23:32

YASD: OpHu ^ Oka. Throwing still strong.

I'm running an Octopode Hunter for Nemelex' Choice. Decided to go with Throwing & Oka because Oka throwing is still overpowered.
I'm also using an +6 whip of elec for most of my fights to save ammo.
I just picked up a book of transmutations. I'm not really sure what strategy to follow here - usually I'd go for transmutations with an octopode, but transmutations anti-synergise with throwing. I'm inclined to stick with Sticks to Snakes and Beastly Appendage until I find DragonForm / StatueForm / HydraForm, but in order to make StS useful I'll need to invest so much in transmutations that Blade Hands also becomes castable :lol:

I splat my first 2 tries in D:1, but after that I've had very little trouble. I found some poisoned darts early on, which I used a lot, and heroism is really good :D
Javelins are also great against Orc Priests :)

character dump: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... cordia.txt
Last edited by petercordia on Friday, 8th November 2019, 13:33, edited 3 times in total.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2019, 10:34

Re: CIP: OpHu

I had a really nasty fight with Urug, going down to 20 hp due to get javelins. I used my only scroll of blink to get out of that and buffed up for the next fight with her with lignification and haste (I had lost access to finesse).
I still haven't found MR, and have a 50 chance of paralysis vs ogre Mages and such nasties. I've been taking care of them with datura, either daturaing the caster or a nearby double headed ogre. Rupert is on the next dungeon floor, and I have to be careful with him for the same reason. I consider trying to view him up with StS + immolation, but datura is probably safer.
There's a shield with +Invis for sale in Orc. It looks really good :)
I'm already having an inventory management headache, because of all my throwables, potions, Scrolls, and rings :(

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2019, 22:26

I tried datura against Rupert, but the 2-headed ogre failed to kill him. He got away and surprised me later, even managing to confuse me. If that had been paralysis I'd be dead. In the end I decided to use silence (I had 6 silence scrolls somehow). The initial silence radius was smaller than I remembered, but a little luck allowed me to close the distance and he went down to my buffed up octopode.
I actually got paralysed once and survived, on D:15. I was lucky I guess.
I got a gauntlet, but the loot wasn't very good. The best things I got there where 2 nets from net traps and a +0 demon whip of elec which was being wielded by a Balrug. I'm still using the +6 whip of elec because I suspect the +6 enchantment makes up for the worse base type.
After the Dungeon I went into swamp, but the entrance was being guarded by a thorn hunter. Decided to go to Snake instead. The Naga Sharpshooters are scary but die to heroism + javelins as long as I fight them 1 at a time. I haven't fought any Nagaragas yet. And I just went down the 3rd stair from P:1 to P:2, and then this happened:
screenshot5.png
screenshot5.png (228.31 KiB) Viewed 5551 times

To be fair, I wasted one turn trying to go back up stairs (and got stopped by constriction). I honestly don't know whether I can survive this. Did I make any strategic errors?
I'm playing with the idea of !lignification, followed by either ?fear or ?immolation. I'm also considering ?blink followed by ?fog and ?tele, but that would use up my only blink & fog scrolls :cry:
Any idea how best to survive this?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2019, 23:40

petercordia wrote:To be fair, I wasted one turn trying to go back up stairs (and got stopped by constriction). I honestly don't know whether I can survive this. Did I make any strategic errors?
I'm playing with the idea of !lignification, followed by either ?fear or ?immolation. I'm also considering ?blink followed by ?fog and ?tele, but that would use up my only blink & fog scrolls :cry:
Any idea how best to survive this?

That's a tough call, but I really think you're better off with reading fear. I wouldn't try blink because it has a chance to outright fail when constricted, and I'm sure it'd just frustrate you to both lose a turn and a valuable scroll.
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
petercordia

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 4th November 2019, 08:13

Re: CIP: OpHu, in trouble in Snake

You probably need to read fear to survive.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
petercordia

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 4th November 2019, 19:17

You are probably dead. There is a chance of dying this turn, and no action you take will completely remove that chance.

Interestingly, because you have almost no AC, the fast attackers (guardian serpent and black mambas) have higher average damage to you than the hard-hitting naga warriors.

I see two ways you could realistically have a chance to get out of this:
1. Teleport away.
2. Get rid of constrictors adjacent to you and go up the stairs.

They both look pretty hard, but I'll outline both plans:

1. Use dispersal on the enemy constricting you (in the targeter, its name will have "(constricting you)" after it). If dispersal hits and does damage (very likely), it will immediately stop the constriction (which gets you 3 points of evasion back) and stops that enemy from attacking you. You'll still have a lot of attacks coming your way and might die, but only one of those attacks can constrict you (the other naga warrior), and your evasion is pretty good, so if you live you probably won't be constricted. Then you can blink -> fog -> tele -> chug heal wounds or curing until it kicks in (it's not a clear level so you never know what you'll land on).
Alternatively, instead of using dispersal, you can try to evoke blink. Blinking counts as two escape attempts from constriction, which I think puts your odds of immediate success slightly over 50%. Actually, does anyone know if having your stair movement interrupted counts as attempting to break constriction? If so, this gets a lot more attractive - but I'll assume not. This is not as likely to break constriction as using dispersal, but if it works, you take a lot less damage (because your new position probably would have less enemies hitting you). It also lets you get farther away with your followup scroll of blink. If it fails to break constriction and you're still alive, you can still bust out with a scroll of blink (your previous blink would have put two attempts on the constriction, so the next would be almost guaranteed to succeed), but you'll be taking more damage and getting no farther than you would have with dispersal. Then of course there is a risk that the evocation itself fails (something like 5-10% at your current evocations, I think).

2. If you want to stay on this staircase, you'll have to rely on multiple dispersals to get rid of the constrictors. You'll have to spend at least 3 turns throwing dispersal (2 naga warriors, plus 1 naga mage which will move adjacent), which would almost guarantee your death, so you would have to use fear first. Furthermore, you also have to do something about the guardian serpent, because it will probably either re-cast blink allies encircling, or just beat you to death and kill you (having this attack you while walking upstairs with 3 AC is terrifying). With this plan, I'm sorry to say I don't know the odds of it, but you are really banking on the chance of fear affecting the guardian serpent; if it doesn't, you will have to try to use the wand of enslavement on it, or try to straight up kill it, before proceeding to dispersal the constrictors.

You could also combine the plans by starting with a scroll of fear, then if it doesn't affect the guardian serpent, go to plan #1.

You're probably dead in any case, but these are the best ideas I've got.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 4th November 2019, 20:14

petercordia wrote:Did I make any strategic errors?

Yes:
petercordia wrote:And I just went down the 3rd stair from P:1 to P:2

-There's no reason to go down an unknown staircase while visible. As it happens, if you were invisible, those black mambas and salamanders would do less damage to you on average. Invisibility is a massive buff and is free with that ring; you should abuse it.
-Also, why did you want to go down this staircase? Usually one is enough; almost always 2 is enough. Taking unknown staircases is a risky move (and alternatives should be carefully considered), because:
1. Except for your first discovery of the level, enemies get the first turn
2. Your evasion is lower while ascending/descending stairs (don't know how much lower, but it feels pretty huge, maybe halved?)
3. You're revealing a lot of tiles at once, so potentially seeing a lot of enemies at once

petercordia wrote:a - a +6 whip of electrocution (weapon)

Waste of a weapon slot. You probably already know that nothing in the game can compare to your javelins. Also important to know is that any weapon that kills popcorn will do - ending the game with 900 stones versus 700 stones doesn't make a difference. You should not use the best popcorn-killing weapon, but rather, a weapon that is useful in other ways (and you can keep the popcorn-killing weapon as a swap if you want, but really there are enough stones). A scimitar, for example, can riposte while you're throwing or doing other stuff. A randart with +STR (though you probably haven't found one yet) is what you're really hoping for. Speaking of STR...

petercordia wrote:Str: 9
Int: 16
Dex: 24

Where have you been putting your choosable stats? This character is all about javelins, so they should all be in STR. Already, with your current skills (Heroism off), when you're throwing javelins, 2 points of STR is slightly more damage than 1 point of slaying. And STR only gets better as you get more Throwing (via training and heroism).

petercordia wrote: + Level 11.5 Fighting
Level 0.2 Short Blades
- Level 7.0 Maces & Flails
+ Level 11.6 Throwing
+ Level 11.4 Dodging
+ Level 12.2 Stealth
+ Level 10.1 Shields
+ Level 5.4 Spellcasting
* Level 0.3 Charms
+ Level 9.8 Transmutations
* Level 0.4 Ice Magic
- Level 10.0 Invocations
+ Level 7.1 Evocations

-Throwing (and perhaps also Fighting) looks severely undertrained here; the scaling on Throwing is similar to UC (you gain a point of base damage for every skill level). Dodging and Shields should trail Throwing by at least 2 or 3 levels (the Shield attack speed penalty does not apply to thrown weapons for some reason).
-There is also way too much experience in Transmutations; Sticks to Snakes is a good spell but 5 levels would be enough for that. Or none at all; With Ozocubu's Armour and Summon Ice Beast available to you, Ice would be much more useful.
-I'm not going to say much about Stealth since it's a controversial topic, but some would say you have overtrained that as well.
Most of this may not sound super relevant to your current situation, but maybe if your character was more finely tuned, you wouldn't have needed the floor's third staircase.

petercordia wrote:To be fair, I wasted one turn trying to go back up stairs (and got stopped by constriction).

Yeah, this was probably an error. The payoff in escaping the situation was large, but the odds were not good. Naga Warriors are accurate hitters, and as I already mentioned, evasion is reduced when ascending/descending stairs. I don't know what the odds are of making it up the staircase, but I'm guessing that with just 1 naga warrior adjacent to you, it's under 50%, and obviously worse with 2.

For this message the author stormdragon has received thanks: 2
nago, petercordia

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 16:50

I escaped, using only a scroll of fear, evocable blink, and teleport. I forgot how strong ?Fear is in Snake :)

Thanks for your advice. Trying to answer some of your questions:
I like going down unknown staircases because it makes autoexploring and teleport traps significantly less dangerous. I know auto-exploring isn't optimal, but it makes the games so much easier... I'll stop doing it with fragile characters in Snake, if I remember to...
I didn't go invis because it's bothersome to evoke invis all the time and then wait for contam to fade before exploring. Again just a matter of suboptimal convenience :oops:
My whip is actually killing enemies very effectively, much more effectively than rocks. I suppose this might be because I undertrained throwing and I understand your criticism that the whip doesn't contribute to the hardest fights. I'll replace it with a stat stick when I find one :cry:
I put all my choosable stats into Dex. I love survivability :0 My base Strength is actually 11, but I'm wearing a rPois -2 Str artefact.
Thanks for the skills advice. I'm going to only train throwing and Ice+Charms for a while. I was planning for dragonform even in my skills, and I shouldn't have.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 17:46

petercordia wrote:I like going down unknown staircases because it makes autoexploring and teleport traps significantly less dangerous.

It doesn't really reduce danger from autoexplore it just loads all the danger you would find while autoexploring into the area into your stair descents rather than while autoexploring. Effectively you're volunteering to jump into unknown areas 2 extra times (with a known up-staircase), but as you can see in this example you're subjecting yourself to possible attacks. (Second descents are really suboptimal most of the time, but are particularly bad on fragile, dodging based, range-dependent builds.) Snake is not the only place where you can be prevented from re-ascending in bad situations on second descents (it is the most likely one though, since like 70% of the critters on it can constrict), and there are some creatures that can kill you on second-descent (E.X. dropping next to a 8 headed hydra in the lair as a fragile race is quite possibly deadly).

It can in some circumstances help with random teleports and teleport traps (if you teleport into a bad, but escapable situation, knowing what direction the closest escape is can help), however it's better, if you need to escape by walking from a bad teleport, to read magic mapping, that way you know for sure how to get to where you're going.

While the odds of dying from second-descents are tiny, the gains are even smaller (and in the one-time-in-ten-games where knowing in advance where those other staircases were would help, magic mapping is a consumable literally *exactly* for that purpose.) Second staircase exploration with a magic mapping scroll in hand is altogether a detriment. (All of that assumes that the first staircase was in fact not a horrible shit-show or terribly unsafe for some reason, obviously take a second staircase when the first one is known-bad)

My ranking for safety of revealing unexplored tiles looks like:
1. Scry through walls
2. First staircase reveal on new level
3. Manual Shift-move exploration (to prevent accidentally hitting a movement key with something in LOS)
4. Manual exploration
5. Auto explore
6. Subsequent stairs reveal on new level
7. Random teleport
8. Shaft
9. Teleport trap
(If you have an identified ?magic mapping in hand, 8/9 will swap places once the current level is about 30-40% explored, as will 6/7, teleports of both sorts get safer with a larger percentage of the level explored)

petercordia wrote:I put all my choosable stats into Dex. I love survivability :0

You might look at choosing Str/Int as "this means those creatures will attack me that many less times" (particularly when looking at ranged weapons) when comparing to dex. Dex is often panned as being unilaterally worse than the other options, but I think it's merely *very frequently* worse.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 17:59

I have now done a bit of swamp, accidentally put on an amulet of Faith, got almost enough gold to buy 3 acquirement scrolls (which I'm planning to use to try to get dragonform), and I found this vault:
Screenshot from 2019-11-05 17-51-41.png
Screenshot from 2019-11-05 17-51-41.png (91.53 KiB) Viewed 5453 times

I might go in once I've finished Depths & Slime :lol:

Inventory management has gotten really bad. I'm now leaving scrolls of identify lying on the ground and coming back when I need them :(

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 18:11

petercordia wrote:I didn't go invis because it's bothersome to evoke invis all the time and then wait for contam to fade before exploring. Again just a matter of suboptimal convenience :oops:

Well, maybe just before using staircases, would be a reasonable compromise.
petercordia wrote:My whip is actually killing enemies very effectively, much more effectively than rocks. I suppose this might be because I undertrained throwing and I understand your criticism that the whip doesn't contribute to the hardest fights. I'll replace it with a stat stick when I find one :cry:

I am not surprised it works better than rocks. My point is that rocks are good enough and allow you to hold a more useful weapon all the time. But of course, playing in this way will probably increase your total game keypresses by a lot. I am not telling you how you "should" play, just the options that will maximize winrate. Ultimately the purpose of the game is entertainment, which is why maximum winrate play generally doesn't happen in the real world. ;)
petercordia wrote:I put all my choosable stats into Dex. I love survivability :0

Usually, killing an enemy faster means it hits you less, so it kinda works as evasion, but better because it also protects you from things that don't check evasion (hexes, fireballs, summoning, etc). This is why rings of slaying tend to be better than equally-plussed rings of evasion. Actually this is a pretty appropriate analogy, since it's roughly 2 STR = 1 SLAY and 2 DEX = 1 EV. Of course the caveat is that damage only works when you're attacking, not while moving or using items, so I get how personal preference could be a factor.

petercordia wrote:got almost enough gold to buy 3 acquirement scrolls (which I'm planning to use to try to get dragonform)

Why? I'm pretty sure you can't throw javelins in dragon form.
petercordia wrote:Inventory management has gotten really bad. I'm now leaving scrolls of identify lying on the ground and coming back when I need them :(

Yeah you're dealing with throwing pains. What you're doing with scrolls of identify is optimal, but if you want to be more fun and less optimal, you can instead pretend some mediocre items don't exist (like lamps of fire and wands of iceblast).

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 22:31

stormdragon wrote:
petercordia wrote:got almost enough gold to buy 3 acquirement scrolls (which I'm planning to use to try to get dragonform)

Why? I'm pretty sure you can't throw javelins in dragon form.

The main reason is that an octopode chucker doesn't make sense to me, whereas an octopode dragon does. Like, I don't see why an octopode chucker would be a strong character.
You do have a point that I wouldn't gain much from going dragonform. I've already got a good offence, and the defence won't get much better when I lose EV and SH. Does that mean that Dragonform is basically bad :?: I can't really think of a character that would gain more from dragonform than an octopode/felid.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 22:49

You are thinking about synergy (or as leo littlebook would say, "true combos"). But dungeon crawl is not all about synergy; some stuff is just brokenly overpowered regardless of your character. Javelins are one of those things.

Killing things with unarmed instead of javelins on this character would be like refusing to use scrolls of blink on a spriggan, because walking is more synergistic (after all, you could walk there faster as a spriggan than you could as any other species). In reality, scrolls of blink, and javelins, are just too good to pass up regardless of species synergy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while you are correct that dragonform is stronger for an octopode than it is for most species, unarmed isn't really broken enough to compete with throwing. Dragonform isn't bad per se, throwing is just absolutely bonkers currently.

But if dragonform is fun, go ahead and do it, even if it is not optimal. :) Winning is 80% about good tactical decisions anyway; strong tactics can reliably carry games even with suboptimal strategies.

For this message the author stormdragon has received thanks:
nago

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 6th November 2019, 00:01

My first 2 acquirements gave me 2 manuals (Bows and Evocations). Is this normal? Do I need to train more magic to get spellbooks? I also found a manual of fighting, so I'm totally stashed with manuals now :D

I'm also now wearing a hat with Str+ Dex-, following a certain spirit of Stormdragon's advice ;)

current character dump:
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.24.0-13-gcf9b3192b9 (webtiles) character file.

petercordia the Warrior (Octopode Hunter)          Turns: 49927, Time: 06:50:52

Health: 135/135    AC:  2    Str: 12    XL:     18   Next: 49%
Magic:  27/27      EV: 22    Int: 16    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   56         SH: 13    Dex: 20    Spells: 17/29 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   a - +6 whip (elec)
rCold    x x .     Gourm    .   G - +1 shield of the Abyss {+Inv}
rNeg     + . .     Faith    +   T - +1 hat of Yxuohobu {Str+3 Dex-5 Slay+3}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   U - amulet of faith
rElec    .         Reflect  .   t - ring of positive energy
rCorr    +         Harm     .   m - ring "Tamuwn" {Fire Dex+7}
MR       ++...                  Y - ring of see invisible
Stlth    ++++++....             N - ring of protection from magic
HPRegen  0.32/turn              r - ring of protection from fire
MPRegen  0.20/turn              L - +3 ring of slaying
                                (no ring)
                                S - ring of Liberty {+Blink rPois rC- rCorr Str-2}

@: very slightly contaminated, studying 2 skills
A: almost no armour, stealthy swim, amphibious, 8 rings, constrict 8, camouflage
1, gelatinous body 1
}: 1/15 runes: decaying
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke Invisibility

You are on level 4 of the Snake Pit.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are very hungry.

You have visited 6 branches of the dungeon, and seen 32 of its levels.
You have also visited: Gauntlet.

You have collected 2929 gold pieces.
You have spent 2873 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +6 whip of electrocution (weapon)
Missiles
 b - 9 datura-tipped darts {!f}
 c - 4 throwing nets {!f}
 e - 19 atropa-tipped darts
 i - 526 stones (quivered)
 n - 590 arrows
 w - 22 silver javelins
 y - 17 boomerangs
 D - 19 curare-tipped darts
 J - 21 javelins
 W - 7 boomerangs of dispersal {!f}
Armour
 G - the +1 shield of the Abyss (worn) {+Inv}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 2 of the Orcish Mines)   

It lets you turn invisible.
 M - the +2 buckler of Weguh {Regen+}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It increases your rate of regeneration.
 T - the +1 hat of Yxuohobu (worn) {Str+3 Dex-5 Slay+3}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 3 of the Snake Pit)   

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (-5).
   It affects your accuracy and damage with ranged weapons and melee attacks
   (+3).
Jewellery
 m - the ring "Tamuwn" (right tentacle) {Fire Dex+7}
   (You acquired it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of fire]

It enhances your fire magic.
   It affects your dexterity (+7).
   It protects you from fire.
   It makes you vulnerable to cold.
 r - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
 t - a ring of positive energy (left tentacle)
 L - a +3 ring of slaying (on tentacle)
 N - a ring of protection from magic (on tentacle)
 S - the ring of Liberty (on tentacle) {+Blink rPois rC- rCorr Str-2}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)   

[ring of resist corrosion]

It affects your strength (-2).
   It makes you vulnerable to cold.
   It protects you from poison.
   It lets you blink.
   It provides partial protection from all sources of acid and corrosion.
 U - an amulet of faith (around mantle)
 Y - a ring of see invisible (on tentacle)
Wands
 k - a wand of digging (3)
 p - a wand of clouds (4)
 C - a wand of enslavement (7)
 E - a wand of polymorph (13)
 F - a wand of iceblast (17)
 H - a wand of paralysis (10)
 Z - a wand of acid (7)
Scrolls
 f - 15 scrolls of remove curse
 o - 14 scrolls of teleportation
 v - a scroll of summoning
 x - 5 scrolls of magic mapping
 I - 3 scrolls of fear
 P - 5 scrolls of fog
 Q - a scroll of blinking
 X - 5 scrolls of silence
Potions
 h - 3 potions of berserk rage
 j - 5 potions of agility
 l - 4 potions of haste
 q - 7 potions of might
 s - 2 potions of magic
 u - a potion of ambrosia
 z - 6 potions of curing
 B - 2 potions of resistance
 O - 6 potions of lignification
 R - 6 potions of heal wounds
 V - a potion of cancellation
Books
 g - a manual of Evocations
 A - a manual of Fighting
Comestibles
 d - 48 rations

Skills:
 - Level 16.0 Fighting
   Level 0.2 Short Blades
 - Level 7.0 Maces & Flails
 - Level 14.0 Throwing
 - Level 11.5 Dodging
 - Level 12.2 Stealth
 - Level 10.2 Shields
 + Level 6.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 4.0 Charms
 * Level 12.0 Transmutations
 - Level 4.0 Ice Magic
 - Level 10.0 Invocations
 - Level 10.0 Evocations

You have 17 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ###.....     14%         3    ##.....
b - Beastly Appendage     Tmut           #####.       1%          1    None
c - Summon Lightning Spi  Summ/Air       #.......     94%         4    ####...
d - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          36%         2    #......
s - Sticks to Snakes      Tmut           #####...     1%          2    #......

Your spell library contains the following spells:

Spells                   Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
 Freeze                   Ice            ###.         4%          1    None
 Blade Hands              Tmut           #####.....   4%          5    ######.
 Spider Form              Tmut/Pois      ###.......   6%          3    ##.....
 Ice Form                 Ice/Tmut       ####....     10%         4    ####...
 Throw Frost              Conj/Ice       ##....       17%         2    #......
 Magic Dart               Conj           #...         26%         1    None
 Summon Small Mammal      Summ           #...         26%         1    None
 Call Imp                 Summ           #.......     36%         2    #......
 Slow                     Hex            #.......     36%         2    #......
 Call Canine Familiar     Summ           #.......     58%         3    ##.....
 Conjure Flame            Conj/Fire      #.......     58%         3    ##.....
 Mephitic Cloud           Conj/Pois/Air  #.......     58%         3    ##.....
 Summon Guardian Golem    Hex/Summ       #.......     58%         3    ##.....
 Summon Ice Beast         Ice/Summ       ##......     73%         4    ####...
 Throw Icicle             Conj/Ice       ##......     73%         4    ####...
 Iskenderun's Battlesphe  Conj/Chrm      ##......     97%         5    ######.
 Bolt of Magma            Conj/Fire/Erth #.........   100%        5    ######.
 Venom Bolt               Conj/Pois      #.........   100%        5    ######.
 Iron Shot                Conj/Erth      #.........   100%        6    #######
 Orb of Destruction       Conj           #.........   100%        7    #######
 Spellforged Servitor     Conj/Summ      #.........   100%        7    #######

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (1/1) D:4            Lair (6/6) D:8
  Swamp (4/4) Lair:2        Snake (4/4) Lair:4        Slime (0/5) Lair:5
    Orc (2/2) D:9             Elf (0/3) Orc:2        Vaults (0/5) D:13
 Depths (0/5) D:15        Gauntlet (visited)       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Gozag
Hepliaklqana
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Qazlal
Ru
Sif Muna
Trog
Uskayaw
Vehumet
Wu Jian
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One
Beogh

Shops:
D:9 (   D:12 [   Orc:2 ?}[[   Snake:2 *

Portals:
Hell: Lair:6

Annotations:
Swamp:3 2 transporters - zot trap transporter vault with artefact amulet,
exclusions: downstairs and 1 more exclusion
Snake:4 acquirement, 3 runed translucent doors, hat of int, Soawkar's ghost,
adept GrFi

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You cannot wear most types of armour.
You are very stealthy in the water. (Stealth+)
You are amphibious.
You can wear up to eight rings at the same time.
You can use your tentacles to constrict eight enemies at once.
Your skin changes colour to match your surroundings (Stealth+).
Your rubbery body absorbs attacks. (AC +1, EV +1)

Message History

You finish putting on the +1 hat of Yxuohobu {Str+3 Dex-5 Slay+3}.
Drop what? 52/52 slots (_ for help) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You drop a +1 hat of intelligence.
Current level annotation: acquirement, 3 runed translucent doors
New annotation for Snake:4 (include '!' for warning): acquirement, 3 runed
translucent doors, hat of int
Unknown command.
i - 522 stones (gained 1)
i - 524 stones (gained 2)
i - 525 stones (gained 1)
i - 526 stones (gained 1)
Found a club.
Unknown command.
[a] Weapon [b] Armour   [c] Jewellery [d] Book               
[e] Staff  [f] Evocable [g] Food      [h] Gold (you have $56)
What kind of item would you like to acquire? [\] known items [$] shopping list
Something appears before you!
g - a manual of Evocations
Okay, then.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.

.......###..................
.......#....................
.........##.................
.....######.........###.....
.....#............#####....#
....######..................
         #######@....... ...
           #............
         ..)............
         ......###..%...
         ....##   #...##
         ####      ####

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  Rupert (D:13)
  3 thorn hunters
  Kirke (D:13)
  4 nagarajas
  A fire giant (D:15)
  A balrug (Gauntlet)
  A minotaur (Gauntlet)
  An ettin (Orc:2)
  A fire dragon (D:15)
  The ghost of Tensor the Martial Artist, a journeyman GnTm of Hepliaklqana (Lair:2)
  12 naga warriors
  14 hydras
  4 centaur warriors
  A shambling mangrove (Swamp:3)
  2 catoblepae
  A ghost crab (Swamp:3)
  11 anacondas
  A death knight (D:15)
  An ogre mage (D:13)
  4 two-headed ogres
  A death yak (Lair:6)
  6 alligators
  6 orc high priests (Orc:2)
  A queen ant (D:9)
  3 shock serpents
  Urug (D:12)
  A sun demon (Lair:6)
  17 naga sharpshooters
  4 skeletal warriors (D:15)
  4 salamander mystics
  A fire crab (Gauntlet)
  2 naga ritualists
  3 spriggan druids
  4 sea snakes
  4 unseen horrors
  An orc knight (D:13)
  11 swamp dragons
  A deep elf archer (D:13)
  4 mana vipers
  Pikel (D:3)
  2 phantasmal warriors (D:15)
  3 deep elf magi
  12 ugly things
  14 salamanders
  An oklob plant (Lair:6)
  4 elephants (Lair:6)
  4 cyclopes
  2 centaur zombies
  29 black mambas
  3 gargoyles
  3 guardian serpents
  11 naga magi
  2 orange demons (Lair:6)
  19 spiny frogs
  3 yaktaurs (D:13)
  A kobold demonologist (D:14)
  3 ice devils (Lair:6)
  The ghost of MovingMist the Cudgeler, a novice GrFi (D:5)
  7 rime drakes
  7 komodo dragons
  4 trolls
  A freezing wraith (D:15)
  A polar bear (Lair:6)
  The ghost of xccam the Cudgeler, an amateur MiFi of Trog (D:3)
  A hellwing (Lair:6)
  9 tyrant leeches
  A wind drake (shapeshifter) (D:13)
  14 hornets
  17 blink frogs
  4 bog bodies
  10 hippogriffs
  2 dream sheep
  20 slime creatures
  3 shadows
  7 spriggans
  39 yaks
  A vampire (D:14)
  6 wraiths
  4 wyverns
  Sigmund (D:2)
  A basilisk (Lair:2)
  6 fire bats (Gauntlet)
  3 hungry ghosts
  18 vampire mosquitoes
  5 wargs
  12 insubstantial wisps
  50 nagas
  8 soldier ants
  Edmund (D:4)
  15 swamp worms
  2 acid dragons (D:13)
  9 water moccasins
  6 hell hounds
  A floating eye (D:15)
  10 porcupines
  A hornet zombie (D:11)
  21 orc warriors
  4 sky beasts
  12 swamp drakes
  2 ice beasts
  A slave (D:4)
  An eye of draining (D:14)
  3 black bears
  3 boggarts (D:15)
  3 phantoms
  3 necrophages
  13 ogres
  7 wolves
  15 crocodiles
  2 centaurs
  2 big kobolds
  16 bullfrogs
  A wyvern skeleton (D:14)
  A water moccasin skeleton (D:8)
  5 killer bees (D:12)
  A howler monkey (D:8)
  19 wights
  7 electric eels
  7 crimson imps
  A quasit (D:9)
  4 hounds
  15 orc wizards
  44 orc priests
  Crazy Yiuf (D:2)
  10 centaur skeletons
  2 jellies
  Jessica (D:2)
  2 bullfrog skeletons
  2 iguanas
  Natasha (thrice) (D:2)
  30 worker ants
  2 hound zombies (D:10)
  A hound skeleton (D:7)
  2 worker ant zombies
  14 gnolls
  8 adders
  6 shadow imps
  3 oozes
  2 adder zombies
  2 adder skeletons (D:4)
  4 worms
  4 dart slugs
  4 leopard geckos
  78 orcs
  6 giant cockroaches
  7 goblins
  11 hobgoblins
  A hobgoblin (shapeshifter) (D:15)
  7 jackals
  19 kobolds
  4 quokkas
  12 bats
  5 frilled lizards
  7 rats
  A fungus (Lair:6)
  6 plants
  A withered plant (D:2)
1048 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A hydra (Swamp:4)
  An ogre mage (Orc:2)
  4 two-headed ogres
  A shock serpent (Snake:3)
  A naga sharpshooter (Snake:1)
  A swamp dragon (Swamp:4)
  A wizard (D:15)
  A deep elf mage (D:15)
  A slime creature (Swamp:3)
  An elephant (Lair:6)
  A naga mage (Snake:2)
  7 yaks
  2 nagas
  A hell hound (Lair:6)
  2 orc warriors (Orc:2)
  2 ogres (Orc:2)
  An orc (Orc:2)
29 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A nagaraja (Snake:2)
  2 two-headed ogres
  A hydra (Swamp:4)
  A shambling mangrove (Swamp:4)
  An ogre mage (Orc:1)
  A wizard (Lair:6)
  An orc knight (Orc:2)
  A naga ritualist (Snake:4)
  An elephant (Lair:6)
  A guardian serpent (Snake:2)
  A yaktaur (D:13)
  3 yaks
  A tyrant leech (Swamp:3)
  3 humans (D:13)
  A slime creature (Swamp:3)
  An ogre (D:13)
  4 fungi
  7 plants
  A withered plant (Gauntlet)
33 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1110 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
-------+----------+-------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | petercordia the Octopode Hunter began the quest for the
                  | Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 14/14 MP: 1/1
    15 | D:1      | Noticed a minotaur skeleton
   166 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 19/19 MP: 2/2
   975 | D:2      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  1040 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 16/24 MP: 3/3
  1358 | D:2      | Noticed Jessica
  1644 | D:2      | Noticed Natasha
  1654 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 30/30 MP: 4/4
  1772 | D:2      | Found a faded altar of an unknown god.
  1809 | D:2      | Noticed Sigmund
  1821 | D:2      | Killed Sigmund
  1821 | D:2      | Reached skill level 3 in Fighting
  1821 | D:2      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 36/36 MP: 5/5
  2227 | D:3      | Found a hide-covered altar of Uskayaw.
  2250 | D:3      | Noticed a +0 dagger
  2251 | D:3      | Noticed a +0 dagger
  2350 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 42/42 MP: 6/6
  2488 | D:2      | Killed Natasha
  2604 | D:2      | Found a runed translucent door.
  2605 | D:2      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
  2711 | D:2      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  2727 | D:2      | Killed Jessica
  2763 | D:2      | Noticed Natasha
  2770 | D:2      | Killed Natasha
  2818 | D:2      | Noticed Natasha
  2829 | D:2      | Killed Natasha
  2829 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Throwing
  3051 | D:3      | Reached skill level 4 in Fighting
  3692 | D:3      | Found a runed translucent gate.
  3692 | D:3      | Found an opulent altar of Gozag.
  3694 | D:3      | Noticed an orc warrior
  3695 | D:3      | Noticed xccam's ghost (amateur MiFi)
  3704 | D:3      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 48/48 MP: 7/7
  4164 | D:4      | Found a transporter.
  4183 | D:4      | Found a transporter.
  4196 | D:4      | Noticed Edmund
  4261 | D:4      | Killed Edmund
  4261 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
  4374 | D:4      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  4392 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  4438 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Warmaster Okawaru
  4604 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  4760 | D:4      | Noticed Pikel
  4827 | D:3      | Killed Pikel
  4827 | D:3      | Reached * piety under Okawaru
  4827 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  4827 | D:3      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 56/57 MP: 8/8
  4953 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5092 | D:4      | Reached ** piety under Okawaru
  5259 | D:5      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  5319 | D:5      | Reached skill level 6 in Fighting
  5349 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
  5542 | D:5      | Found a runed translucent gate.
  5543 | D:5      | Found a runed translucent gate.
  5543 | D:5      | Found a runed translucent gate.
  5545 | D:5      | Noticed MovingMist's ghost (novice GrFi)
  5672 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
  6087 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 62/62 MP: 10/10
  6469 | D:6      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  6814 | D:7      | Found a shadowy altar of Dithmenos.
  7120 | D:7      | Found a shimmering blue altar of Sif Muna.
  7258 | D:7      | Reached *** piety under Okawaru
  7769 | D:7      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
  8251 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
  8382 | D:8      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  8400 | D:8      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  8401 | D:8      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  8404 | D:8      | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  8729 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 67/71 MP: 13/13
  9262 | D:9      | Found Uhorph's Antique Weapon Shoppe.
  9421 | D:9      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9995 | D:8      | Killed a two-headed ogre
  9995 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Invocations
 10108 | D:9      | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
 10216 | D:9      | Reached **** piety under Okawaru
 10229 | D:9      | Reached skill level 8 in Fighting
 10297 | D:9      | Noticed a queen ant
 10802 | D:9      | Killed a queen ant
 10802 | D:9      | Received a gift from Okawaru
 10802 | D:9      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 78/78 MP: 15/15
 11058 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 11299 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 11368 | D:10     | Reached ***** piety under Okawaru
 13046 | D:11     | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 13058 | D:11     | Killed a two-headed ogre
 13093 | D:11     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 14765 | D:12     | Learned a level 2 spell: Sticks to Snakes
 14837 | D:12     | Noticed Urug
 14867 | D:12     | Reached skill level 9 in Fighting
 14929 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Transmutations
 14929 | D:12     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 15085 | D:12     | Found Vann's Armour Boutique.
 15616 | D:12     | Killed Urug
 15616 | D:12     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 15616 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Spellcasting
 15795 | D:12     | Learned a level 1 spell: Beastly Appendage
 15869 | D:12     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 16303 | D:13     | Noticed Rupert
 16303 | D:13     | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 16387 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 16394 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 84/85 MP: 17/17
 16822 | Lair:1   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 16827 | Lair:1   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 17153 | Lair:1   | Received a gift from Okawaru
 17154 | Lair:1   | Got a scorched buckler {god gift}
 17165 | Lair:1   | Identified the +2 buckler of Weguh {Regen+} (Okawaru gifted
                  | it to you on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)
 17379 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 17713 | Lair:2   | Noticed a catoblepas
 17714 | Lair:2   | Found a transporter.
 17716 | Lair:2   | Noticed Tensor's ghost (journeyman GnTm)
 17738 | Lair:2   | Found a transporter.
 17777 | Lair:2   | Got a slimy lapis lazuli ring
 17789 | Lair:2   | Identified the ring of Liberty {+Blink rPois rC- rCorr
                  | Str-2} (You found it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)
 18300 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 18732 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Transmutations
 18850 | Lair:2   | Killed Tensor's ghost
 18880 | Lair:2   | Killed a catoblepas
 18926 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 68/91 MP: 19/19
 20602 | Lair:4   | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 20609 | Lair:4   | Got a coiled platinum ring
 20611 | Lair:4   | Identified the ring "Tamuwn" {Fire Dex+7} (You acquired it
                  | on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)
 20734 | Lair:4   | Received a gift from Okawaru
 20736 | Lair:4   | Got a warped hat {god gift}
 20742 | Lair:4   | Identified the +0 hat "Uziymit" {rN+ Stlth+} (Okawaru
                  | gifted it to you on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)
 20911 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 21471 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 10 in Throwing
 21541 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 21568 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 21599 | Lair:5   | Noticed Sonja
 21600 | Lair:5   | Noticed Sonja
 21600 | Lair:5   | Sonja changed into Sonja the ogre
 21605 | Lair:5   | Killed Sonja the ogre
 22298 | Lair:5   | Upgraded the game from 0.24.0-7-gb3623d2c88 to
                  | 0.24.0-10-g970556be89
 22313 | Lair:6   | Entered Level 6 of the Lair of Beasts
 22358 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 23583 | Lair:6   | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
 23637 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 10 in Stealth
 23872 | Lair:6   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 99/99 MP: 21/21
 23890 | Lair:6   | Found a gateway to Hell.
 24118 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 24160 | Orc:1    | Received a gift from Okawaru
 24288 | Orc:1    | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 24619 | Orc:2    | Entered Level 2 of the Orcish Mines
 24667 | Orc:2    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 25211 | Orc:2    | Found Fesof's Gadget Emporium.
 25610 | Orc:2    | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 26034 | Orc:2    | Received a gift from Okawaru
 26105 | Orc:2    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 26117 | Orc:2    | Found Ogokobbe's Magic Scroll Boutique.
 26311 | Orc:2    | Found Daohyus's Antique Armour Boutique.
 26311 | Orc:2    | Found Hohatiz's Armour Emporium.
 26443 | Orc:2    | Bought the +1 shield of the Abyss {+Inv} for 376 gold
                  | pieces
 26504 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of identify for 30 gold pieces
 26504 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of fear for 52 gold pieces
 26504 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of teleportation for 45 gold pieces
 26504 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of identify for 30 gold pieces
 26766 | D:13     | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 26794 | D:13     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 26795 | D:13     | Noticed Kirke
 26827 | D:13     | Killed Kirke
 27187 | D:13     | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 27395 | D:13     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 27633 | D:13     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 28458 | D:13     | Found a gate to the Vaults.
 28536 | D:13     | Reached skill level 5 in Evocations
 29060 | D:13     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 29398 | D:13     | Killed Rupert
 29623 | D:14     | Reached XP level 15. HP: 74/105 MP: 23/23
 29706 | D:14     | Found a gate leading to a gauntlet.
 29722 | Gauntlet | Entered a Gauntlet
 29722 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29731 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29738 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29745 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29758 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29770 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29785 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29792 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29835 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29837 | Gauntlet | Found a transporter.
 29838 | Gauntlet | Noticed a balrug
 29970 | Gauntlet | Killed a balrug
 30221 | D:14     | Reached skill level 10 in Invocations
 31201 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 31516 | D:15     | Found a staircase to the Depths.
 31516 | D:15     | Noticed a fire giant
 31564 | D:15     | Killed a fire giant
 31564 | D:15     | Reached skill level 11 in Fighting
 31598 | D:15     | Reached ****** piety under Okawaru
 31723 | D:15     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 32526 | D:15     | Paralysed by a floating eye for 4 turns
 32794 | D:15     | Received a gift from Okawaru
 33503 | D:15     | Reached XP level 16. HP: 112/112 MP: 24/24
 33720 | Swamp:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Swamp
 33723 | Swamp:1  | Noticed a thorn hunter
 33918 | Snake:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Snake Pit
 34178 | Snake:1  | Reached skill level 10 in Shields
 35407 | Snake:2  | Noticed a nagaraja
 35486 | Snake:2  | Learned a level 3 spell: Ozocubu's Armour
 35491 | Snake:2  | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Lightning Spire
 35612 | Snake:2  | Noticed a nagaraja
 35614 | Snake:2  | Upgraded the game from 0.24.0-10-g970556be89 to
                  | 0.24.0-13-gcf9b3192b9
 35987 | Swamp:1  | Killed a thorn hunter
 35987 | Swamp:1  | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 35987 | Swamp:1  | Reached skill level 1 in Ice Magic
 36409 | Swamp:1  | Noticed a thorn hunter
 36423 | Swamp:1  | Killed a thorn hunter
 38826 | Swamp:3  | Found a transporter.
 39184 | Swamp:3  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 39489 | Swamp:3  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 39846 | Swamp:3  | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
 40582 | Swamp:3  | Found a transporter.
 40651 | Swamp:3  | Noticed a thorn hunter
 40676 | Swamp:4  | Entered Level 4 of the Swamp
 40690 | Swamp:3  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 40934 | Swamp:4  | Reached XP level 17. HP: 96/117 MP: 26/26
 41709 | Swamp:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 41724 | Swamp:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 42605 | Swamp:4  | Got a decaying rune of Zot
 42715 | Swamp:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 43665 | D:2      | Killed Crazy Yiuf
 43776 | D:3      | Killed xccam's ghost
 43988 | D:5      | Killed MovingMist's ghost
 44403 | Snake:2  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 44446 | Snake:2  | Reached skill level 10 in Transmutations
 45429 | Snake:2  | Reached skill level 12 in Fighting
 45499 | Snake:2  | Found Mane's General Store.
 45632 | Snake:2  | You fall into a shaft and drop 1 floor!
 45775 | Snake:3  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 45777 | Snake:3  | Got a warped hat {god gift}
 45788 | Snake:3  | Identified the +1 hat of Yxuohobu {Str+3 Dex-5 Slay+3}
                  | (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 3 of the Snake Pit)
 46148 | Snake:3  | Reached skill level 13 in Fighting
 46505 | Snake:3  | Reached skill level 14 in Fighting
 47036 | Snake:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Fighting
 47050 | Snake:3  | Reached XP level 18. HP: 108/134 MP: 27/27
 47998 | Orc:2    | Bought 3 scrolls of acquirement for 2340 gold pieces
 48240 | Snake:4  | Entered Level 4 of the Snake Pit
 48483 | Snake:4  | Reached skill level 10 in Evocations
 48509 | Snake:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 48618 | Snake:4  | Found a runed translucent gate.
 48619 | Snake:4  | Found a runed translucent gate.
 48620 | Snake:4  | Found a runed translucent gate.
 48621 | Snake:4  | Noticed Soawkar's ghost (adept GrFi)
 48653 | Snake:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 48832 | Snake:4  | Reached skill level 16 in Fighting
 48843 | Snake:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 48992 | Snake:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru
 49875 | Snake:4  | Received a gift from Okawaru

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 |
---------------+-------------------------------------------------------+-----
Stealth        |  2     3     4     6           7  8 10    11 12       | 12.2
Fighting       |           3     4  5  6  7  8  9    10    11    15 16 | 16.0
Dodging        |           3     4  5  6  7  8  9    10    11          | 11.5
Throwing       |                 5     6  7  8  9    10    11 12 14    | 14.0
Invocations    |                       2  4  6  7  8  9    10          | 10.0
Maces & Flails |                       1  4  5  7                      |  7.0
Transmutations |                                2  5  7  8  9    10 12 | 12.0
Spellcasting   |                                1  3  4  5     6       |  6.0
Shields        |                                   4     7  9 10       | 10.2
Evocations     |                                         5  6  8  9 10 | 10.0
Charms         |                                               4       |  4.0
Ice Magic      |                                               4       |  4.0
Short Blades   |                                                       |  0.2

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Short sword       |    64 |    70 |    40 |       |       |       ||   174
       Constrict         |    14 |    22 |    36 |    57 |    99 |    91 ||   319
       Tentacles         |    17 |    16 |    31 |    58 |   198 |   173 ||   493
       Whip              |       |       |   141 |   293 |   775 |   742 ||  1951
       Punch             |       |       |       |     2 |    13 |     2 ||    17
       Unarmed           |       |       |       |       |    19 |       ||    19
Throw: Dart              |    23 |    62 |    41 |    92 |    51 |    30 ||   299
       Stone             |     5 |    32 |   102 |   102 |   420 |   666 ||  1327
       Javelin           |     1 |     6 |    20 |   132 |   174 |   337 ||   670
       Throwing net      |     1 |     1 |     1 |     1 |     1 |       ||     5
       Boomerang         |       |       |    38 |    68 |   195 |   293 ||   594
 Cast: Sticks to Snakes  |       |       |       |     4 |    18 |       ||    22
       Beastly Appendage |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
       Ozocubu's Armour  |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Invok: Heroism           |       |       |     4 |    28 |    41 |    30 ||   103
       Finesse           |       |       |       |     2 |     5 |     4 ||    11
 Abil: Evoke Invisibilit |       |       |       |       |    14 |    14 ||    28
       Evoke Blink       |       |       |       |       |     2 |     4 ||     6
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
  Use: Scroll            |       |       |    18 |    15 |    12 |     9 ||    54
       Potion            |       |       |       |     2 |     2 |     1 ||     5
 Stab: Sleeping          |     6 |     8 |    16 |    23 |    35 |    14 ||   102
       Held in net/web   |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Distracted        |       |       |     1 |     2 |     4 |       ||     7
       Invisible         |       |       |       |       |    29 |     9 ||    38
  Eat: Chunk             |     2 |     6 |    16 |    28 |    51 |    38 ||   141
       Ration            |       |       |       |     1 |       |     5 ||     6
Armor: Skin              |     5 |     2 |     4 |     7 |    13 |    12 ||    43
Dodge: Dodged            |    22 |    40 |   108 |   158 |   340 |   511 ||  1179
Block: Buckler           |       |       |       |    24 |    68 |     7 ||    99
       Shield            |       |       |       |       |   173 |   456 ||   629

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 8th November 2019, 13:32

Re: CIP: OpHu; acquirement keeps giving manuals?!

I died stupidly in Vaults.
I had rC-, so I knew I had to be careful with cold-themed attacks. I saw a lone Frost Giant. Engaged without buffing up, because he was alone. Was hit by a Bolt of Cold, taking considerable damage. Buffed up instead of disengaging. Was hit by another Bolt of Cold. At this point I was in 1-shot range. Tried to use a scroll of fog to disengage instead of a scroll of blink (I had 3 scrolls of blink). Got unlucky. Took one final Bolt of Cold to the face, and died.

Morgue: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 132434.txt

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 8th November 2019, 15:55

Re: CIP: OpHu; acquirement keeps giving manuals?!

petercordia wrote:I had rC-, so I knew I had to be careful with cold-themed attacks. I saw a lone Frost Giant. Engaged without buffing up, because he was alone. Was hit by a Bolt of Cold, taking considerable damage. Buffed up instead of disengaging.

Buffing up instead of disengaging was probably fine, except you "buffed up" in the wrong way. Taking off your two rings of rC- (one of Fire, one directly had rC-) would have been a much more effective "buff" than Heroism. But I assume you probably realized this mistake already; probably within a minute after dying :P

I already mentioned that tactical decisions are far more important than strategic ones, and this definitely classifies as a tactical mistake; but if you immediately see what you should have done after dying, then your tactical knowledge is probably good, and the difficulty really boils down to mindfulness. That is, it is common to "know" the right thing to do, yet not have it in mind when you need it. Being mindful of all options at all times is hard because crawl is a long and fatiguing game. Finding your own way to retain mindfulness is the key to avoiding this kind of splat.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2019, 20:36

Re: YASD: OpHu ^ Oka. Throwing still strong.

IMO the basic transmutation forms (up to blade hands) are all inferior to Op UC/Sh and only blade hands is comparable(and IMO still slightly inferior because its less safe). And Op UC/Sh prepares you for statue better. Therefore if you are already training UC and shield on an Op the starting transmutation book is pointless. If you aren't training UC then the forms suck anyway. If you have no shield then going for BH can be useful. For Oka especially due to Heroism and gifts being UC+Sh is way more streamlined and probably more effective as well. There is no question in my mind that its better than Ice form, I screwed around with it pretty extensively. Oka Heroism+ice form is inferior to Oka Op Heroism+UC+Sh; it does similar damage (because of the two aux attacks) and will have much better defense (ice form has shitty dodge and no shield, the armor will not make up for it, you basically trade like 10 ac for 25 sh+ev).

Of course Sticks to Snakes is just as useful as it always is but I think the forms are a trap for Op, not really for other species though. I'm not saying you should have done UC on this run, but overall on Op specifically I always ignore that transmutation starting book's forms unless I have a very very specific reason/idea for using blade hands. Especially on Oka. Statue and Dragon are, of course, a different story. I have 15-runed a (almost all melee) no transmutation UC OpFi of Oka then Zin and, while its pretty decent, using either or both of those transmutations makes you way better. But either way a fully kitted out Zin OpFi using UC and a maxxed out large shield can go toe to toe with all the Pan and Hell bosses, fairly well (Oka can probably do somewhat better). Not sure about weapons versus UC for Op in this case, I almost exclusively play Op with UC.

IMO if Oka gives you a good large shield by Lair not even blade hands can compete with Oka Op+UC+sh and even a normal shield is equivalent (I prefer the shield to BH).

For this message the author severen has received thanks:
petercordia

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 15th November 2019, 10:17

Exactly why did you have cold vulnerability in the first place? Wearing those rings of fire makes no sense to me. You didn't even have fire spells.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 15th November 2019, 12:01

the ring of Liberty {+Blink rPois rC- rCorr Str-2} had some utility, and the ring "Tamuwn" {Fire Dex+7} gave Dex+7, and I have bad experiences with Fireball because it is undodgeable, so for a lot of the game I thought it made sense to double down on my rC--. I didn't have many good rings yet. You're right I could probably had stopped accepting cold vulnerability at this point, since I had recently found a rC+ ring. I was keeping it as a swap item :lol:

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too