Feedback on getting items

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 12:26

Feedback on getting items

This is a little thing that's been bothering me when picking up items out of a pile through the interactive prompt (a single press of 'g'). There's no feedback at the end of the process if, as is usually the case for me, you don't pick up the final item. This is the only example I run into regularly where there's no reaction in the game for my having pressed a key. I think it would make the game feel more responsive if there were one. For example, the game could echo what remains on the ground.

I play the latest build of .10 from the git repository with tiles, if that's relevant.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 12:37

Re: Feedback on getting items

For a big pile of items, it's usually easier to press comma twice, and you get a full-screen pickup menu. Actually I tend to use that menu more often than not even when it's only a small pile.

Still, I thought that using the interactive prompt did tell you at the end each item that you pick up (if it doesn't, that should certainly be fixed).

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 12:58

It should give a message if you weren't able to pick up everything. I've seen it a few times myself. And 'g','g' also brings up the menu that mumra is referring to and does make going through a big pile much easier.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 14:32

I suggest setting pickup mode = multi in your options file. This really should be the default!

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
rchandra

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 14:34

bobross419 wrote:It should give a message if you weren't able to pick up everything. I've seen it a few times myself. And 'g','g' also brings up the menu that mumra is referring to and does make going through a big pile much easier.

I should have been more clear: the interactive prompt confirms if you pick up an item, yes, and if you try and fail, but not if you decline (press 'n', or I think any key but 'y') at the prompt. This means that as you go through a pile, if you don't pick up items, the prompt just iterates to the next item. After the last item, if you decline to pick it up, there's no feedback.

The menu is great, and I like to use it too. When when using the prompt, however, I think there's a small improvement that could be made.

Evilmike: the case I'm talking about is what happens when pickup_mode is set to single or auto, the player is choosing what to take and what to leave, and they leave the final object they're prompted for on the ground.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 14th October 2011, 00:02

evilmike wrote:I suggest setting pickup mode = multi in your options file. This really should be the default!

I second this, but I added an "Okay, then." message for the situation you described anyway. :)

Return to Technical Support