how to survive wizlab

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 6th July 2019, 10:19

how to survive wizlab

I got into a really dangerous situation in a wizlab.
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (84.91 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

Some of my options are ?blink, !invis, wand of charming (28% chance), trying to kill it Ignite Poison. ?Fog won't do anything for me I think.

How likely is he to kill me if I blink to the edge of his LOS? I can't blink out of LOS unfortunately. I was too confident of my ability to kill him :oops:

Also, if I survive this, would you recommend finishing the wizlab or just leaving ASAP? I usually never skip portals, but I'd really like to win this game.

character dump in case of interest: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... iaCSDC.txt

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 6th July 2019, 10:50

Re: how to survive wizlab

Blood saints are fairly tough.

You are in danger of dying next turn, and you cannot get out of LoS in one turn, nor can you kill it in one turn. So, by process of elimination, I think you need to drink heal wounds.

If you survive, you will have several options: haste and blink are the top ones.

I am not really familiar with that particular wizlab, so I can't give any advice on whether it's worthwhile to get out or continue.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 6th July 2019, 11:07

I expect !Heal would not give me enough hp though - I just lost half my hp in 1 turn. This was because the Blood Saint was hasted and he hit me with 2 (undodgable) major destructions. I don't think !Heal gives at least a quarter of my hp, does it?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 6th July 2019, 11:34

Heal wounds restores 9 + (3d28 / 3) HP, so 23 on average. So you will go above 25% HP very likely. After drinking heal wounds, if you get hit with two undodgeable legendary destruction, you will die, of course. However, can you survive one? Not sure, actually.

If you cannot even survive one, I think the only option is to blink.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th July 2019, 08:47

petercordia wrote:Also, if I survive this, would you recommend finishing the wizlab or just leaving ASAP? I usually never skip portals, but I'd really like to win this game.

character dump in case of interest: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... iaCSDC.txt

If you survive this, I'd suggest to skip this one in the interest of winning the game - the end vault features some tier 2 demons and a nasty caster. Maybe there was a tier 1 in there too, can't remember right now. The rewards for wiping them out are the Majin-Bo fixedart, at least one randart cloak, and at least one book with a demon summoning spell. The rest of the wizlab isn't very densely populated, so you could get decent XP from taking them down one or two at a time.

This should give you a clearer idea for a risk/reward decision.
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
petercordia

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 8th July 2019, 18:04

I got out alive.

I went ?blink - ?blink - exit

I was very tempted to try to kill the demonspawn, but decided to follow your advice.
Shortly afterwards I had a misadventure in Elf:2 which cost me 1 !invis 2 !heal and 2 ?tele, so I was quite happy to have saved my resources.
(I was teleported into the hall of blades, met Azrael there, used !invis rather late, and teleported to placed within the hall of blades twice.)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 10th July 2019, 10:20

Good to know this bird is still up. :) If the chardump was dynamically updated, you now have Glaciate and Chain lightning castable under 5%. Unless something extreme happens, I'd say this is a YAVP in the making.
There is always something new to learn.

For this message the author Sorcerous has received thanks:
petercordia

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 10th July 2019, 12:17

Yes, I won with 4 runes. My third win for the bcrawl tournament, so I'm quite happy.
I had very few resists this game, but extremely high EV (>40 before switching to Kryia's mail coat). I also had a prolonged super hairy episode in Z:2.
For posterity, here is the morgue: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... 204650.txt

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks:
Sorcerous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice