[proclick] bcrawl fork

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th December 2018, 20:55

[proclick] bcrawl fork

X-Crawl development stalled after it replaced all stairs with hatches. I didn't like that, and I had some pull requests sitting around, so I made my own fork.
Here are the changes and here's a Windows build.

edit: It's now playable online at x-crawl.de and CKO!

some new stuff not in X-Crawl:
- I've merged the mainline DCSS changes, but without exploration traps
- Fedhas, Dithmenos, and Wu Jian are reworked.
- Warper and Arcane Marksman are completely reworked, with new spells added for them. (based on Doesnty's work)
- the Reaver background, a melee start of Vehumet
- Troll and Deep Dwarf are reworked.
- Hill Orc uses Fighting as its skill for all weapons
- Ozocubu's Armour is reworked
- Long Blades give +SH instead of a chance to riposte
- Vaults has 3 floors and Orc has 1 floor
Last edited by bhauth on Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 09:54, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author bhauth has received thanks: 3
chequers, floraline, Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th December 2018, 22:14

Re: [proclick] bcrawl fork

Sorry, but could you name the Vehumet start something other than Reaver? Reaver used to be a background in Crawl and imo it would be better to name this one something else, as it is a different background.

Otherwise, thumbs up for the fork, forks are good for the game.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 12th December 2018, 06:38

If you call this bcrawl, you should implement all the ideas from bcadren, including (but not limited to) polearms attacking in 127 directions & Lohan race (Mike, Lindsay, whoever else is else in still alive in that fam)
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 12th December 2018, 06:47

oh I remembered wrong, according to learndb bcrawl has for planned features:

1. rn-, level 6 evap, arachnetaur, yred revenant gifts, water magic, perma-enslave, imp race, dual wielding, fruit reform, blinkitis, fe^nem unique, felid monsters in general, bdsm god, jotunn race, revival of dj, undead can worship good gods, tree race that can't use 1h weapons, acid brand, un-unranding salamander hide

2. 27 "b" slot gods (one for every race), sidequests, felid annhilators, plain-type damage, !borg, !ddoor, ruin tomb, distortion unrands, 0.6 AM, demons that worship chei, everyone has EP, ruin spider, player ghost moths, elf dragons, ruin pan, mass haste, wand destruction, acid magic, revive forest, continuum sized labs, buff Tr, werewolf race, !acid

3. three dimentional movement, 26 movement commands, 124 different attackable polearm directions, underwater branch that only octopodes and merfolk can access

4. planned unfeatures: everything that makes crawl fun

5. Weirder and more complicated isn't necessarily bad; I think this is interesting.

Do all of this or find another suitable name
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2018, 22:23

This is now playable online at https://x-crawl.de/. Lots of new content since v1.0.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 09:00

I've added bcrawl to cko.

For this message the author floraline has received thanks:
bhauth

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 12th January 2019, 04:23

bcrawl is now on CPO as well!

Recent additions include a Demigod rework and a Tree Form spell.

For this message the author bhauth has received thanks:
chequers

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd January 2019, 20:50

So I haven't tried it yet, but from the change list, it sounds like tree form is just a potion of lignification as a spell? The potion is mostly useful early game, but the spell is a level 5 two school spell, which seems like it wouldn't be useful by the time you could cast it? Does it have significant changes from the potion version?

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 1st June 2019, 03:39

The bcrawl tournament starts when CSDC ends: June 7 at 0:00 UTC. You get 1 shot each at 8 combos that show off new content. The code doesn't handle teams, but feel free to choose a shared account name and split the runs with someone!

---

bcrawl is now on CUE, hosted in the Netherlands! (Thanks TZer0!)

---

bcrawl v1.12 is out! Changes since v1.11.7 include:
- Line Pass doesn't cost piety
- Reapers can seal doors
- Lightning rods do better damage at high evocations and with large spreads
- the storm bow is reworked, and is absolutely not overpowered, don't believe the lies

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 4th June 2019, 19:05

Because of the tournament and hosting on CUE, I've been playing some bcrawl.

Some of the things you've done are really neat, fun or interesting. I really like the reaver, archaeologist, and Oni. I'm not sure whether I love or hate the stair teleportation. It has certainly mixed up my gameplay.
I also love the new automatic options, such as picking up nets automatically and being warned before throwing them.
I haven't been able to look at most features, but many of them look promising.

The documentation is often lacking though. Like, how is it determined what is in the archaeologist’s crate? (random content -> manual skill / manual skill -> random content / manual skill -> acquirement-like behaviour ?)
Which backgrounds get what? (I mostly figured this out by trying them out)
Have throwing brands been removed?
I didn't realise Oni could learn the spells from their starting books until I tried them with a book start. Oni Archaeologists are pretty good btw.
Edit: I only just saw that Gnoll Archaeologist can't be played for some reason (too powerful? Too weak? I'd expect a long-lasting manual would be both good and bad)

I'm also a bit confused by the species/background recommendations. Like, why is the Djin recommended to play a pure mage background? Surely only being able to cast every 5 turns isn't good for mages? I would have expected Djin to be good hybrids (because of their aptitudes), but maybe I'm missing something.
BTW, the Djin is missing in the % screen, and the Duskwalker is listed out of alphabetical order for some reason.

I was a bit sad/surprised to see so few new/reworked species in the selection for the tournament, and also no archaeologist ;)

Are you planning to merge in the darts from trunk, and the new vampire?

Anyway, thanks for making bcrawl, putting it on underhound, and organising a tournament!

2nd Edit: where can I report bugs? I just noticed I can't take of my scarf as a Felid.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 6th June 2019, 19:46

petercordia wrote:Because of the tournament and hosting on CUE, I've been playing some bcrawl.

Some of the things you've done are really neat, fun or interesting. I really like the reaver, archaeologist, and Oni. I'm not sure whether I love or hate the stair teleportation. It has certainly mixed up my gameplay.
I also love the new automatic options, such as picking up nets automatically and being warned before throwing them.

Thanks! Credit for Oni goes to pubby (also made formicids) and credit for archaeologist goes to Pablo Manaset (also made Wu Jian).

petercordia wrote:The documentation is often lacking though. Like, how is it determined what is in the archaeologist’s crate?

You get a random unrand artifact that your character can use. The manual is based on the artifact.

petercordia wrote:Edit: I only just saw that Gnoll Archaeologist can't be played for some reason (too powerful? Too weak? I'd expect a long-lasting manual would be both good and bad)

Manuals contain a fixed amount of XP. Gnolls put less XP into each skill, so the manual takes a long time. It basically defeats the point of Ac.

petercordia wrote:I'm also a bit confused by the species/background recommendations. Like, why is the Djin recommended to play a pure mage background? Surely only being able to cast every 5 turns isn't good for mages? I would have expected Djin to be good hybrids (because of their aptitudes), but maybe I'm missing something.

Djinn -cast increases with "free" mana and decreases with character level. I might adjust it once it's been tested more.

petercordia wrote:Are you planning to merge in the darts from trunk, and the new vampire?

2nd Edit: where can I report bugs? I just noticed I can't take of my scarf as a Felid.

Throwing and vampires were already reworked in incompatible ways. I might change them more, but I kind of like the strategic effects of blowguns.

Can anyone replicate the felid scarf issue? I don't have a problem offline and I don't have time to find a scarf as a felid online right now.

Bugs can be reported by messaging me on discord or reddit, or by leaving a comment on github.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 7th June 2019, 00:24

The bcrawl tournament starts now.

To participate, just play a tournament combo on CKO, CUE, or CPO.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 10th June 2019, 00:49

The 2nd bcrawl tournament combo (Minotaur Sloth Apostle) has now started.
(The 1st one is still going; they overlap.)

Sergei with TeamWontStopShafting holds the current top score for DgGl, by entering Dis before 40k turns and getting all Hell runes.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 13th June 2019, 00:04

Combo #3 (Vampire Rogue) has now started.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 16th June 2019, 01:11

The 4th bcrawl tournament combo (Felid Monk) has now started!
(The last combo is still going; the times overlap.)
Felids in bcrawl get half XP for *seeing* enemies, and *no* extra XP for kills.
http://www.bhauth.com/bcrawl/tournament/1.12/

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 19th June 2019, 03:31

bcrawl tournament combo #5 (Sand Dwarf Skald) has now started.

Sand Dwarves are slow and small, have no armor penalty to spellcasting, and are very good with maces and axes but (being small) can't use big ones.

in bcrawl:
- Skald starts with a fear scroll
- Infusion scales better at high spell power
- Ozo's Armour lets you move and gives a passive freeze when you're hit or block, but only lasts a few turns (good vs hydras!)

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 22nd June 2019, 00:14

The 6th bcrawl tournament combo (Formicid Arcane Marksman) has now started, and the 2nd (Minotaur Sloth Apostle) has ended. Just before that ended, TeamWontStopShafting picked up the first realtime points of the tournament (with 20 seconds to spare!) on their MiSA run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTsnxli-YU

Formicids are the same, but Arcane Marksman is very different:
- Corona has 2x the effect
- Shackle prevents enemy movement
- Inner Flame always works.
- False Image creates a decoy you can shoot through.
- Yara's is level 4. (If you kill with Yara's, it will trigger Inner Flame.)
Last edited by bhauth on Tuesday, 25th June 2019, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 25th June 2019, 00:30

The 7th bcrawl tournament combo (Naga Venom Mage) has now started!
http://www.bhauth.com/bcrawl/tournament/1.12/

In bcrawl:
- Sting always poisons
- Venom Mage gets Ignite Poison, and Poisonous Vapours has an adjusted duration to make a combo with it
- Ignite Poison scales better with power
- Venom Mage gets Summon Scorpions, summoning 1-4 scorpions based on power

Since the last combo, Sapher has taken the lead, finally pushing guanidine out of 1st place.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2019, 20:38

I'm playing with a FeMo^Wu Jian. The new Wu Jian seems both fun and powerful enough.

About the transmutations:
Could you adjust the max spell power of Statue form & Spider form etc to be equal to the spell power at which the transmutation last forever? Or is there a good reason not to do that? It would make the life of a transmuter slightly easier.
Also, is there a reason why beastly appendage & blade hands don't last forever at a certain spell power (or at least don't mention it in their spell description)?

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th June 2019, 00:14

petercordia wrote:I'm playing with a FeMo^Wu Jian. The new Wu Jian seems both fun and powerful enough.

About the transmutations:
Could you adjust the max spell power of Statue form & Spider form etc to be equal to the spell power at which the transmutation last forever? Or is there a good reason not to do that? It would make the life of a transmuter slightly easier.
Also, is there a reason why beastly appendage & blade hands don't last forever at a certain spell power (or at least don't mention it in their spell description)?

Yes, I should probably change the max power on Spider Form. Statue Form gives more AC at higher power.

I might make Appendage permanent; I never really decided about that. Blade Hands affects spell success so it probably won't be.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th June 2019, 00:14

The 8th (and final) bcrawl tournament combo (Avariel Reaver) has now started, and the 4th (Felid Monk) has ended. The tournament ends in 12 days, at which point I'll release a new bcrawl version.

Avariel is the result of NP7 merging Deep Elf with Tengu. They have great magic aptitudes, except for earth, and they get permanent flight at level 9, but have low HP.

Reaver is a melee start of Vehumet, with steam dragon scales and Iskenderun's Battlesphere. It's designed to encourage a melee-to-conjurations transition, which is normally a bad idea.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 8th July 2019, 09:04

My English is not so good, I apologize for that. When Xom casts a form (statue / lich, etc.) with high intelligence, it cannot be undone.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 10th July 2019, 06:14

dimadima095 wrote:My English is not so good, I apologize for that. When Xom casts a form (statue / lich, etc.) with high intelligence, it cannot be undone.

I guess I should probably change that, but it is kind of appropriate for Xom.

Anyway, you should be able to end Xom forms (except lich form) by using a polymorph wand on yourself.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 25th July 2019, 16:24

Is it possible something is wrong with your random number generator?
Every time I've had an archaeologist with an armour manual, I got the salamander hide (this has happened 3 times). I also had the impression initially that demigods were supposed to have a random selection of abilities, but all demigods have the same set of abilities.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 25th July 2019, 18:54

It just happened again. (Manual of armour -> salamander hide)

(so a selection bias is less likely)

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 27th July 2019, 16:56

I got kyria's on my archeologist run, so it is definitely not 100% salamander hide. Still 3 out of 3 sounds unlikely.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd October 2019, 22:02

I like the new staves. Eliminating hunger on elemental staves reduces swapping, and it's nice to see staves of power become useful after the early game.
I did notice in Sprint IX: "|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||" the stave of energy remained, with it's evocable ability removed and its description altered. In saved games the same happened to a staff of energy in a shop. I would suggest replacing it with a staff of power, except removing hunger is really important in the sprints. Otherwise certain mages become unplayable. I suppose this could be fixed with a stack of rations.

I found the new Servitor somewhat obnoxious. In the extended (with a necromutation gnoll) the Servitor casts Bolt of Draining by default, which is useless. I can change it to Bolt of Ice or Fireball by wielding the appropriate staff, but that introduces a new kind of bother (where I have to carry certain staves and wield them before summoning the servitor).

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 13th December 2019, 15:13

The 2nd bcrawl tournament starts in 1 week.

petercordia

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 20th December 2019, 04:11

The 2nd bcrawl tournament has started; the 1st combo is Skeleton Abyssal Knight.

chequers

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd December 2019, 01:00

The 2nd bcrawl tournament combo (Oni Venom Mage) has now started.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th February 2020, 13:25

[Bug report]
bcrawl-1.19.2-6-g6a88ae0
https://webzook.net/soup/morgue/b_1.13. ... sdynet.txt

The altar of Jiyva did not appear.
Attachments
jiyva.png
jiyva.png (79.76 KiB) Viewed 10777 times

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2020, 05:14

sdynet: You're using an old version; that bug was fixed in 1.20.

Also, if there's a bug, I'd suggest either posting it in the discord linked in the bcrawl readme, or creating an issue (or pull request) on Github.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner