CIP DgIE

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 16th March 2019, 01:37

CIP DgIE

Here is my chardump.

I am currently playing a demigod ice elementalist. Where should I go from this point? I have cleared orc 1 and 2, all of dungeon, most of lair (except for the dire elephant vault), 1-2 and part of 3 or spider (just could not kill an empire scorpion), and level 1 of shoals. I am feeling rather weak, as I have no bolt spells, no god abilities, and am running out of consumables. Francis, Donald, and Nikola were all on Shoals 1, and I had to burn a lot of shots from wands of clouds and scattershot to kill them. I have 1 scroll of teleport, no scrolls of blinking, and no haste. I am currently relying on a mix of throw frost, throw icicle, and melee. What should I do going forwards? Should I try to get iron shot online, or just boost defenses? The cold vulnerability seems dangerous, but the ring offers nice resists and slaying.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 16th March 2019, 11:12

Re: CIP DgIE

It seems like you've turned the character into some kind of conjurations-based skald. Since you have invested relatively little xp into magic, you might consider forgetting about conjurations (as far as training skills is concerned) and using magic only for support (with Infusion, Song of Slaying, Regeneration, Spectral Weapon, Sticks to Snakes, whatever catches your fancy.)

In your next game, consider playing a pure mage, if possible. (I know you can get messed with by spell availability.) If you had put more xp into magic and less into M&F, you could have branched into lightning bolt (giving you a bolt spell), and later gotten iron shot and continued that route. Pure mages can be fun.

From your current spell set, Simulacrum would probably be the best level 6 spell to aim for.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 16th March 2019, 15:03

It is pretty much never advised to go pure mage. You pretty much always want weapon skill to mindelay.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 16th March 2019, 15:39

mmm. I can't really say much about what other people advice. I believe duvessa once recommended that someone play a pure mage felid summoner, but that might have been someone else. I do remember that the pure mage felid summoner won the game.

As for myself, I'm fairly new but I got to Zot a few times, like here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26146
I also want to get my weapon to mindelay, and on the above character I did so at XL 22 or so.
Basically, I will very rarely train my weaponskill to be more than 2/3 of my magic skill on a mage, because magic is the best way to kill dangerous enemies with a mage. Training a weapon to mindelay is a matter of convenience for me, because I use the weapon only for popcorn, and as such I'll only do it if it's cheap. I also like having 0 weapon skill for a long time, because it keeps me more flexible.
You're free to follow other peoples advice rather than mine :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 16th March 2019, 16:50

I personally would focus on defences, especially on dodging and fighting. I would train them to ~15 at least. I believe that dodging is more efficient for you right now than armour skill, but remember that lower skill levels are much cheaper, so it may change later.

Of course, you are close to min delay with the morningstar, so you can as well train it to 16. Although I personally would consider switching to a great mace, especially if a branded/enchanted one is available. I do not think that buckler worths it instead of having more melee damage, but I would not train maces to 20 before training at least some defences. A morningstar is a little bit week, but you have a lot of slaying to compensate.

Beware the cold vulnerability. Simulacrums or white ugly things can deal huge damage in melee.

The ring mail is a strange armour choice since Ozo's armour is not working in it. But I hate to remember switching Ozo on so I may use it anyway.

Switch off conjurations. Only train magic schools when you have a concrete spell in mind which you train for, and then it is best to only train the relevant schools. Learning a spell halfway does not help you at all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 16th March 2019, 17:31

Use your enchant weapon and armour scrolls. Those will make you a bit stronger.

Train Fighting. Spam Summon Ice Beasts.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th March 2019, 19:42

arandomperson12 wrote:It is pretty much never advised to go pure mage. You pretty much always want weapon skill to mindelay.

There's a reasonable question as to what training a particular weapon gives *right now* compared to alternatives. Mana management/judgment isn't easy but if you're already investing in magic you'd need heavy investment for weapons to outperform it.

The obvious exception would be a stabber, but you can definitely just pick Cj and blast everything to death all game as you get better magic. Magic power items can make it a bit more convenient but aren't necessities.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too