New WR for turn speedrunning!

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 3rd January 2019, 06:04

New WR for turn speedrunning!

Oh yes, this sweet taste of victory!
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21.2 (webtiles) character file.

92378827 Yermak the Unseen (level 27, 172/215 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Necromancer on Jan 2, 2019.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Jan 3, 2019!

The game lasted 06:52:38 (15429 turns).
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 045616.txt

Best spells of the run:
  1. BVC: kills monsters while you keep moving (0.21 Ne reasons).
  2. Statue Form: defence & offence.
  3. PoG: for fast movement and juking Cerebovs.
  4. Summon Forest (yes, you read it right!): same function as BVC.
  5. LRD: for breaking into rune vaults (again, 0.21).
Highlights:
  • On D:7 there were two books shops with a number of useful spells, so I decided to visit orcs before Lair to buy them. Orcish jewellery shop offered amulet of magic regeneration, ring {rF+ rC+ MR+ Dex+3 Stlth+} and ring {rElec MR+ MP+9}. I could buy only one thing, so I bought Statue Form and headed to Lair. Got 3 Lair runes and 2k extra gold (660 gold came from ?acquirement). But by this time book shops on D:7 could only offer Me Blink spell, so I decided not to backtrack there from D:11, and I've already found mp regenerating amulet. But I still ventured to Orcs and bought {rF+ rC+ MR+ Dex+3 Stlth+}.
  • Usually I explore all quadrants of Vaults:5, but this time I decided to stop at 2 after getting silver rune, since I was pretty much set with spells and items.
  • Tomb:3 was extremely lucky experience: I teleported from the start, landed in los of golden rune, read ?tele again, apported it, and landed in los of stairs.
  • Entered Pan at XL21. I don't remember anything interesting happening in Pan and Hells, it was just lots of PoG using.
  • After I recognized stairs vault on Zot:1, it was smooth descending, each next floor gave downstairs just in couple of steps from upstairs.
  • I issued ?tele as soon as I arrived at Zot:5, landed in vestibule, fought my way to the Orb, teleported again and landed in a safe area. Lucky.
  • On Depths:5 I decided to learn CBlink as a substitution of Blink (haha), to shave some turns when it's appropriate. I ended up using it 3 times, shaving around ~10 turns. Now think about the fact that I already had some blink scrolls and memorisation costed Me 9 turns... Yeah, mistake (:

Each time when new WR is set, I hear someone saying "It's pretty much the limit, you can't really go faster!" So, before anyone says it this time, consider the fact that I arrived at Vaults on turn 8464, 2k turns later than Sapher, previous WR holder, on his run (yes, by this moment we had the same number of runes, all of them being from Lair). So feel free to try 13k turns 15-rune run!
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 15
Airwolf, chequers, duvessa, Fingolfin, Magipi, nago, njvack, Octopode-monk-of-XOM, radzia, VeryAngryFelid and 5 more users

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd January 2019, 07:35

Re: New WR for turn speedrunning!

Yermak wrote:Each time when new WR is set, I hear someone saying "It's pretty much the limit, you can't really go faster!" So, before anyone says it this time, consider the fact that I arrived at Vaults on turn 8464, 2k turns later than Sapher, previous WR holder, on his run (yes, by this moment we had the same number of runes, all of them being from Lair). So feel free to try 13k turns 15-rune run!

I think they meant "you would need crazy luck to beat it" and here you kind of had it :) Congrats, it was amazing even to read.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd January 2019, 11:07

Congrats!

Code:
The game lasted 06:52:38 (15429 turns).

WATT!? Incredible...

Yermak wrote:Tomb:3 was extremely lucky experience: I teleported from the start, landed in los of golden rune, read ?tele again, apported it, and landed in los of stairs.

This - and some other situations in your game - reminds me (again) of a famous quote of 4thArra: for getting a great score "you need luck in every part of the game".

Yermak wrote:Each time when new WR is set, I hear someone saying "It's pretty much the limit, you can't really go faster!"

Exactly. I often thought it - and I think it now as well...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd January 2019, 11:28

Also let's not forget that new versions are coming every half year or so with new species and new spells like Gn or BVC.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd January 2019, 18:16

Yermak wrote:Highlights:

Each time when new WR is set, I hear someone saying "It's pretty much the limit, you can't really go faster!" So, before anyone says it this time, consider the fact that I arrived at Vaults on turn 8464, 2k turns later than Sapher, previous WR holder, on his run (yes, by this moment we had the same number of runes, all of them being from Lair). So feel free to try 13k turns 15-rune run!

Wow Congraz Yermak :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

I see you stand by your Words.. in January? 2018 i think Yermak already said in tidbits spectator chat that he thinks 13-15k turns would be possible and declared war on him regarding some Gnoll Hiscore.

I did believe it's possible but it's really insane anyway...skill and luck wise!! too bad BVC didn't get 5x5... and i'm a bit sad now that you didn't want to record for youtube. i'll def watch that game's ttyrec!

let me know if you want the Conversation again ;)

Happy crawling to everyone, ah and yea happy new year!

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th January 2019, 15:50

This run just about averages to 1k turns per rune :shock:
Holy Xom, that is incredible! Congratulations!
There is always something new to learn.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too