Safe travel

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st December 2018, 18:41

Safe travel

Just died to this nonsense:
  Code:
####@..
####...
D..<...

Code:
@ is me
D is a hydra (currently out of LOS)
To the right is Josephine (not on this map, but pretty close)

I want to run away from Josephine, so I quickly hit 21 to go to upstairs. Did not know there was a hydra. Initially I came from the stairs so I did not retreat into unknown either and had no reason to suspect there were monsters near the stairs.
Of coruse it's my fault, I should reassess the situation after every turn. But it's impossible given the length of the game.

Now what I would like to have is some kink of a system that prevents deaths that are caused by smashing keys during a manual travel. Like if something comes into view while you just trying to go somewhere, the game should help you stop.
For example,
  Code:
if your previous input was a movement,
and now you are hitting a direction key
and the time between these inputs was short (or you are just holding a button),
and near your target location were no monsters before your last turn (so your intention was a movement),
but a new monster came into view between these inputs (or a previously unknown invisible enemy attacked you),
then force more (or just force a delay and ignore the last input).

Is there some system like this?
Last edited by Slap and stab on Friday, 21st December 2018, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
That's a silly name!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st December 2018, 19:05

Re: Safe travel

maybe something like this help:
  Code:
force_more_message += comes? into view
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st December 2018, 19:06

This would annoy the hell out of anyone
That's a silly name!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st December 2018, 19:28

well that command would stop you after hitting 2
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2018, 11:19

I'm going to try it. I too am guilty sometimes of rushing move commands and ending up 2 tiles closer to something dangerous than i want to be!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 01:35

@Slap and stab
or you can use shift+direction key
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 07:02

Slap and stab wrote:This would annoy the hell out of anyone
I am not sure what you mean here especially since I use that setting in 90% of my games.
In OP you ask to interrupt your actions when something comes into view and in this post it looks like you are saying you don't want your actions interrupted when something comes into view.
Of course we cannot help you then.
If you want the interruption just for a hydra, there is an easy way for it. If you want a confirnation when you are moving towards a hydra, there is a not so easy way for it (own lua function).
But first you need to clearly state what you want.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Eyesburn

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 07:23

You can use auto travel next time. G< in this case

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 12:54

Code:
bindkey = [B] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_DOWN_LEFT
bindkey = [H] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_LEFT
bindkey = [J] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_DOWN
bindkey = [K] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_UP
bindkey = [L] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_RIGHT
bindkey = [N] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_DOWN_RIGHT
bindkey = [U] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_UP_RIGHT
bindkey = [Y] CMD_SAFE_MOVE_UP_LEFT

This setting in my options file worked for me: safe travel only moves when there are no enemies in sight. I used it for manual exploration, etc. You can bind the letters as macros to other keys, as well: I used SHIFT+numpad keys.

But I must mention it stopped working for me for a while, and I have no idea why.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 26th December 2018, 07:49

VeryAngryFelid wrote:But first you need to clearly state what you want.

All right, I understand that there is no solution for my problem, so people propose a solution to a closest solvable problem. But this quote kind of triggered me so I'm replying just to this quote.

Did I not state what i want in the code block in the OP? That's a strict set of rules that forces a delay just when I want (and doesn't when I don't want). There is nothing unmeasurable or vague in that block.
All proposals missed at least one of the following points:
  Code:
- I only want MOVEMENT be interrupted (not fighting, not evoking, not quaffing potions, not casting spells, not autotravel stops, etc.) because only movement is spammable. Forcing more in all other cases is redundant and adds only annoyance to the system
- There are enemies already in view (Jess), but they are not the source of the danger. So no, autotravel, shift-direction won't do.
- It's not about already known monsters, it's about monsters that became known but you had no time to react to them (because you spam keys)

Again, I understand there is no solution, and no offence to people that tried to help, or to Felid's post in general. Just responding to "You didn't state clearly what you want". Because I did.
That's a silly name!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th December 2018, 08:42

Slap and stab wrote:Again, I understand there is no solution, and no offence to people that tried to help, or to Felid's post in general. Just responding to "You didn't state clearly what you want". Because I did.

Let me clarify/get a confirmation. You attacked a monster with multiple tabs, an ancient lich came into view around a corner and killed you with 100 damage LCS without you having a chance to react. Are you ok with that because you did not spam movement?

Edit. If yes, I think it is technically possible to do what you want. The script should change a variable when a new monster comes into view and your last action was movement and then you will receive a confirmation dialog if your next immediate action is movement as well.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 26th December 2018, 08:55

Are we talking about improving an unexisting solution now? The post was about movement. Yes, you could extend it to tab as well. You can extend it to any key - even a macro key. You could play safe magic darts with F1, if you'd like. The reason I did not include every possible way you could spam keys is because the solution for the original problem could probably be slightly modified for every case, and including it in the post would add the confusion. The post was already confusing enough, as it turns out.
That's a silly name!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th December 2018, 09:17

Then yes, as I wrote in my previous post "I think it is technically possible to do what you want. The script should change a variable when a new monster comes into view and your last action was movement and then you will receive a confirmation dialog if your next immediate action is movement as well." Unfortunately I am not an expert in lua to write the script, sorry.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Slap and stab

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 29th December 2018, 09:50

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Slap and stab wrote:This would annoy the hell out of anyone
I am not sure what you mean here especially since I use that setting in 90% of my games.

I always use it too. I started when trying to win a kitty.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice