Dealing with Mutations in the post end game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2018, 21:55

Dealing with Mutations in the post end game

I like to play for 15 rune wins, and find it fun to try and build characters that feel overpowered in the end game. However, with resist mutation gone, it seems like there are very few ways to tackle the end game without becoming horribly mutated.

Currently I am generally either going Zin, or I use Necromutation whenever there is something with Malmutate around. Am I missing something? Should I just expect to stack up bad mutations from Orbs, Shining Eyes, Neqs, etc unless I pursue one of the aforementioned counters?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2018, 22:22

Re: Dealing with Mutations in the post end game

If you get a bad set of mutations, you quaff potions of mutation until you get a set you feel comfortable with. Don't let neqoxecs or cacodemons have clear line of fire to you. Also, neqoxecs only have MR 40.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2018, 23:45

Sprucery wrote:If you get a bad set of mutations, you quaff potions of mutation until you get a set you feel comfortable with. Don't let neqoxecs or cacodemons have clear line of fire to you. Also, neqoxecs only have MR 40.

I understand LOSing malmutate in principal, but in practice that can be difficult based on the character. Like melee builds will usually at least spend some turns in LOS, if only to hit it. I like to quaff mutation potions as I find them because I enjoy the thrill of gambling on mutations, whether it's a good strategy or not, but I guess I need to start saving them instead of playing roulette.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th November 2018, 00:36

stefan3iii wrote:I understand LOSing malmutate in principal, but in practice that can be difficult based on the character.
By extended, any character can cast summon lightning spire. You can definitely cast it more easily than Necromutation!

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, PseudoLoneWolf

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th November 2018, 05:23

Some more minor ideas: silver javelins, hide behind TSO/Trog summons, Portal Projectile, Buttleflies.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 17th November 2018, 17:52

In line with your objective to have an overpowered character, you could run some Zigs. You'll end up with a large enough pile of mutation potions to keep muts under control.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 18th November 2018, 22:11

stefan3iii wrote:I like to play for 15 rune wins, and find it fun to try and build characters that feel overpowered in the end game. However, with resist mutation gone, it seems like there are very few ways to tackle the end game without becoming horribly mutated.

Currently I am generally either going Zin, or I use Necromutation whenever there is something with Malmutate around. Am I missing something? Should I just expect to stack up bad mutations from Orbs, Shining Eyes, Neqs, etc unless I pursue one of the aforementioned counters?

The late game mutation system is currently incredibly broken, and I'm nonplussed as to why my ideas for fixing it have been ignored. Depending on RNG, the current system strongly encourages tedious farming - something that is very clearly against DCSS's design phliosophy.

A full writeup of my thoughts on the matter can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/ ... s/e52jdgq/

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 18th November 2018, 23:05

stefan3iii wrote:I like to quaff mutation potions as I find them because I enjoy the thrill of gambling on mutations, whether it's a good strategy or not, but I guess I need to start saving them instead of playing roulette.

This may not be what the crawl wizards call "optimal play," but I know how you feel. I like to quaff healing potions as I get them. It saves time resting and I like to imagine my character sipping that cool draught, feeling life course through him, like drinking an ice cold Miller High Life after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 19th November 2018, 02:53

For casters: Necromutation is the new amulet of resist mutation. Just get it somewhat castable, even if it means wearing rings of wizardry/staff of wizardry. Even 30% fail before wizardry is good if you worship Sif.
For good gods followers who can't Lichform: switch to Zin, scum the abyss for piety, switch back to TSO if you want after
For non-casters, non-good god followers (berserkers, etc): don't do post endgame

duvessa wrote:
stefan3iii wrote:I understand LOSing malmutate in principal, but in practice that can be difficult based on the character.
By extended, any character can cast summon lightning spire. You can definitely cast it more easily than Necromutation!

This, plus the good ol sputterflies (Summon Butterflies). Or Sticks to Snakes.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice