Pan lord chaos melee paralysis sleep stab orb run death

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 13:54

Pan lord chaos melee paralysis sleep stab orb run death

OK, this happened to me over a week ago and I am still salty about it. Pretty standard troll game, nothing of note happened until the orb run.

I ascend to zot:3 and take a few steps and notice a pan lord. He is fast and cast OoD at me. After a brief pause I decide to take a few steps, zap my dig wand, and then leap to stairs. This plan left me in LoS of the pan lord for 3 turns.

After one step he cast sleep on me, then he closed the distance and hit me once. He hit me for 0 damage, but inflicted 7 turns of paralysis. Because he did 0 damage I didn't actually wake up.

Code:
Message History

Gyaw hits you but does no damage. You suddenly lose the ability to move!
The Orb Guardian hits you!!!! You wake up.
Gyaw begins to attack, but is stunned by your will!
The Orb Guardian hits you! Gyaw hits you.
You are confused.
The butterfly disappears in a puff of smoke! x2
Gyaw begins to attack, but is stunned by your will!
The Orb Guardian hits you!!
Gyaw launches a ball of destructive magic.
The wavering orb of destruction weakly hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The Orb Guardian hits you but does no damage.
Gyaw gestures at you.
You fall asleep.
The Orb Guardian hits you!!! You wake up.
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You focus your will and paralyse the Orb Guardian in retribution!
A large abomination comes into view.
Gyaw hits you!!
You die...

Here is a video of the ttyrec courtesy of gammafunk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUhDcZjaZ48 If you look closely you can see my first movement after he appeared made him exit my LoS. After I walked away a few more steps, he reentered my LoS. His first action after that was to cast sleep.

Then I got sleep stabbed by an orb guardian, attacked a few more times, put BACK to sleep(while still paralyzed), sleep stabbed again, and then finally killed by the pan lord. I never got an action after I decided to walk away from the pan lord, and I had over 200 HP when he cast sleep on me. Now sure in hindsight its obvious what I could have done to survive but that isn't why I'm posting.

What is the point of spawning such ridiculously random enemies every time you try to win the game? Is it to get deaths like this one, where even a minor error results in death? And what is the point of not only creating these random monsters but hiding their spell set and brand?

If the game had told me what spells he knew and his brand, I could have actually done something with that information to avoid what happened. But instead I just assumed it would be fine, like 9/10 pan lords that spawn on the run. And sure it is my fault for underestimating a pan lord, I'm not denying that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the orb run sucks, remove it. Its just an extra turbocharged shot of randomness and variance right at the end, I guess as a gotcha if you have started to lose focus or are unlucky.

Oh yeah, and why can I be put back to sleep and then stabbed while im paralyzed? Anyways thanks for reading my rant.

For this message the author mibe420 has received thanks: 3
Implojin, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 16:55

Re: Pan lord chaos melee paralysis sleep stab orb run death

I feel for you. Pan lord spells and brands should definitely be displayed (and I among others have suggested it in the past), I have no idea why they aren't already...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 17:27

+1 for the suggestion of exposing Pan Lord's innate attack "brands" and their spell sets. All other monsters in the game (that I know of) have the extremely handy X,V option of examining how they can hurt or disable you. Even the unique boss monsters are well described so that you can plan accordingly when you see them.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 18:22

mibe420 wrote: sleep stabbed by an orb guardian, attacked a few more times, put BACK to sleep(while still paralyzed), sleep stabbed again,

Aren't sleep and paralysis stabs both top-tier? So the sleep doesn't matter.

Paralysis branded melee attacks are stupid. Do they even check MR?

Why is 7 turn paralysis even a thing? FR cap it at five turns for players.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 19:14

Rast wrote:
mibe420 wrote: sleep stabbed by an orb guardian, attacked a few more times, put BACK to sleep(while still paralyzed), sleep stabbed again,

Aren't sleep and paralysis stabs both top-tier? So the sleep doesn't matter.

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure paralysis stabs are not a thing for monsters. The only way a monster can stab the player is if they are asleep.

And no, chaos branded melee does not check MR or anything else

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 19:49

Monsters get 250% melee damage against sleeping players, there's no such bonus against paralysed players.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 20:11

duvessa wrote:Monsters get 250% melee damage against sleeping players, there's no such bonus against paralysed players.

Which makes unresistable dream sheep sleep ever more fun !
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 21:52

Meh, dream sheep only have 13 melee damage. That's not normally dangerous. It is pretty goofy that the damage bonus exists at all though.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2018, 23:31

That's an un-fun death. The sleep was probably fine, but chaos brand being able to paralyse the player for so long is a bit rough.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 00:11

Yes, reduce the max duration of chaos-brand paralysis to like 3 turns.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner