Best way to escape Mennas?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 26th August 2018, 15:25

Best way to escape Mennas?

Currently a Formicid of Lugonu in Vault 4, not sure how to get away from Mennas. I'm tanky enough I can wait out the silence and depart to the abyss, but then he's still there when I get back. Is my best bet to just explore the abyss for a while, and hope he's not there when I get back? Appreciate any advice.
Attachments
Aga.txt
(26.26 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 26th August 2018, 15:59

Re: Best way to escape Mennas?

you could shaft yourself (probably a bad idea, you lack lots of tools for v5), go to the abys and get your evo high enough to kill mennas with those 2 mirrors, or get near stairs and use a fog scroll combined with swiftness and lugo's blink to reach the stairs before mennas gets you (takes some practice, try it in wizard mode 1st).

in any case, invest in more evo.
make food great again

For this message the author pedritolo has received thanks:
nago

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 26th August 2018, 16:25

I tried using a mirror on him, but I get "Lugonu forbids your reflecting this monster". That being said, I don't think I've ever invested in evocations in any game I've ever played. Is investing in evo just a good rule for most games?

While, we're talking about skill investment, I currently have a vampiric executioners axe, but getting to 26 axe skill seems really expensive. Is it worth investing the XP now to get to min delay, or maybe just using before I reach 26 axe skill?

And yeah I thought about shafting myself, but ending up in vault 5 right now isn't super ideal. Now that I think about it, I could just take a stair case up, and then shaft myself back down to V4.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 26th August 2018, 16:29

Yep, going up the stairs and shafting myself got me away quite easily. Still interested in skilling advice though.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 26th August 2018, 16:40

Agamentium wrote:Yep, going up the stairs and shafting myself got me away quite easily. Still interested in skilling advice though.

That was a inventive way to get out of trouble, well done!
make food great again

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 00:17

Yes, use the vamp exec axe now and train up to 26 Aces soonish. It's game-breaking good.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 02:28

Airwolf wrote:Yes, use the vamp exec axe now and train up to 26 Aces soonish. It's game-breaking good.

Don't. The last 6 levels of axes are stupidly, ridiculously expensive, and would be spent better almost anywhere else. Necromancy is a good choice.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Midn8

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 02:54

What's the enchantment on the executioner's axe?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 03:18

An updated char dump would be useful. You seem to have already used up Lugonu's corrupt weapon ability? A distortion battleaxe would have been pretty good, but you only seem to have a +5 vorpal one.

A vamp exec axe is pretty good, but not strictly necessary. If you have XP to spare, and the axe has good enchantment (or you have lots of enchant weapon scrolls) go ahead with it. Otherwise, stick with the battleaxe. A battleaxe with the same brand and enchantment outdamages an exec axe till about 24 or so Axes skill.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 03:46

bel wrote:An updated char dump would be useful. You seem to have already used up Lugonu's corrupt weapon ability? A distortion battleaxe would have been pretty good, but you only seem to have a +5 vorpal one.

A vamp exec axe is pretty good, but not strictly necessary. If you have XP to spare, and the axe has good enchantment (or you have lots of enchant weapon scrolls) go ahead with it. Otherwise, stick with the battleaxe. A battleaxe with the same brand and enchantment outdamages an exec axe till about 24 or so Axes skill.

JFFI: a same enchanted same-branded exec axe beats a battleaxe at 21-23 skill depending on which brand and how much enchantment and strength you have (And if you have aux attacks), if you're waiting until skill 24 to switch you're waiting too long.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 02:24

I think 21-23 Axes is a bit too low. Let's disregard aux attacks for now, and look at a plain Human with 20 Str. I fsim'ed +5 axes of chopping against a fire giant, and the exec axe only caught up around 23 Axes. However, the exec axe had higher variance.

24 axes might be a bit too high. About 23 Axes is the minimum, I would say (as a rule of thumb).

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 09:41

I concur evo will help. Bags of spiders can help you escape, wands of ice blasts are my usual preferred method to kill him if not duking it out. I find evo useful enough for any game to train at least 3/6/9/12 in skill (depending on how much total xp I take in for the game).

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 12:18

update.txt
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Finished Depths and Elf, then went to the abyss. Executioner's axe is +2, but I have 6 scrolls of enchant weapon (also 6 scrolls of enchant armour) I just haven't touched yet.

Put 14 points into evocations just to see what that was like. 13 into translocations for passage of golubria, 10 into crossbow partly because I wasn't really sure where to branch out.

Now I'm just putting points into fighting because I'm not entirely sure what else to do.
Last edited by Agamentium on Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 12:26

Spellbooks I have access to if anyone is interested in that

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 8.25.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 8.25.26 AM.png (268.83 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 17:15

bel wrote:I think 21-23 Axes is a bit too low. Let's disregard aux attacks for now, and look at a plain Human with 20 Str. I fsim'ed +5 axes of chopping against a fire giant, and the exec axe only caught up around 23 Axes. However, the exec axe had higher variance.

24 axes might be a bit too high. About 23 Axes is the minimum, I would say (as a rule of thumb).

I used a stone giant as my tester, +0 unbranded was the slowest, +9 fire branded was the fastest, +9 elec was in the middle, using a human with 25 strength, then I redid it with 10 strength and had similar results, but skewed slightly (about half a skill level) towards the battleaxe, all of my results from both sets were in the 21-23 range.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 10th September 2018, 18:35

Agamentium wrote:I tried using a mirror on him, but I get "Lugonu forbids your reflecting this monster".

That's kind of weird. Is that because Lugonu is "evil" and Mennas is holy?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice