Late-game brands

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 14:41

Late-game brands

I'm pretty new to DCSS, so I don't have a great feel for what I really want from late-game gear. I'm using a +9 demon trident of electrocution, which seems to get the job done well enough, but there are also 3 scrolls of brand weapon laying around the dungeon. Should I roll the dice and try for another brand, or just stick with what I have? I really appreciate any input, thanks!
Last edited by Philosiphyzer on Saturday, 11th August 2018, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 15:49

Re: Late-game brands

Philosiphyzer wrote:I'm pretty new to DCSS, so I don't have a great feel for what I really want from late-game gear. I'm using a +9 demon trident of electrocution, which seems to get the job done well enough, but there are also 3 scrolls of brand weapon laying around the dungeon. Should I roll the dice and try for another brand, or just stick with what I have? I really appreciate any input, thanks!

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Philosiphyzer/Philosiphyzer.txt

Electrocution is pretty much the best possible late game brand, and a demon trident is one of the better possible weapons to have it on. Do not rebrand it, you will make it worse.

If anything find *another* weapon, and enchant and brand that until you get like, freezing or vorpal or something, so you can use it on the small minority of critters that are immune to electrical damage
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 15:57

Siegurt wrote:If anything find *another* weapon, and enchant and brand that until you get like, freezing or vorpal or something, so you can use it on the small minority of critters that are immune to electrical damage

Or speed. Speed is as good or better than elec.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 16:18

Fingolfin wrote:
Siegurt wrote:If anything find *another* weapon, and enchant and brand that until you get like, freezing or vorpal or something, so you can use it on the small minority of critters that are immune to electrical damage

Yes, speed would be great, but the odds of that are tiny. I mentioned freezing or vorpal because those are common brands, and good places to stop if you get them in a couple tries, if you got like poison (which is an amazing early brand, but not a good late-game brand) or protection, it would be worth retrying for something better, but if I got freezing or vorpal on my backup weapon, I'd just keep it, as the odds of me getting something better than that are very small.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 16:39

Thanks for the help!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 10th August 2018, 07:34

Fingolfin wrote:

But you cant get speed with ?brand weapon - and actually speed is a possible brand for most weapon type only if artifact

And I can't fsim right now but I'm pretty positive that a elec demon trident would be much better against anything not resistant than a speed d. trident as its base damage isn't so high.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th August 2018, 15:54

nago wrote:But you cant get speed with ?brand weapon - and actually speed is a possible brand for most weapon type only if artifact

Man, there go all my dreams...

nago wrote:And I can't fsim right now but I'm pretty positive that a elec demon trident would be much better against anything not resistant than a speed d. trident as its base damage isn't so high.

Yes, but we were discussing brands for a secondary weapon, precisely for rElec Monsters. Speed would have been better than freezing or vorpal.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th August 2018, 20:05

On a demon trident, elec is maybe a little bit better than flaming or freezing against nonresistant enemies. It's a small difference, about 5% in my test. Speed is better than elec by about 15%. However, you're not going to find a demon trident of speed. Speed is a very unusual brand. The best brands on most weapons are vamp (for a 3 rune), antimagic, or holy wrath for 15 runes. To get a holy wrath weapon you can use TSO to bless a demon weapon.

Vorpal, draining, elec, flaming, and freezing are also all perfectly acceptable brands. Chaos is a decent brand too, though rare. The only undesirable brands are venom and protection, both of which are good in the early game. And sometimes distortion, which does good damage but is irritating to use as it blinks and teleports enemies around, and prevents weapon swapping.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 16th August 2018, 16:30

I quite like Freezing although it isn't as generally viable by late game. In Zot and on the final orb run, freezing is very useful for Orbs of Fire (OOFs) in Zot, which are otherwise rather a pain to hit (although Earth magic/heavy physical works too). Anti-magic can help disrupt them from mutating you too, but it can be slower actually finishing them off and they'll still spew nasty hellfire or just burn ya. Freezing will also slow down most of the Zot draconians since they are cold-blooded. And there's usually still a fire giant, red dragon, or other flame-happy demons around somewhere.

Holy, anti-magic and speed all have their place, but none of them come from a scroll.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 16th August 2018, 17:24

I usually keep my eyes open for a holy/antimagic weapon of a decent base type that at least crosstrains with my main weapon and enchant it to +9 after my main weapon is solid. You'll want that for extended, but as others have said, an elec demon trident will do a great job on 98% of the monsters.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice