la-mulana 2?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th July 2018, 01:49

la-mulana 2?

GOG has it listed with a release date of August 1st and is taking pre-orders. I'm skeptical given how far back it was delayed but La-Mulana is also basically a perfect game so maybe it will be coming out very soon and be so so good? Anyways, post in this thread about how great La-Mulana was, and whether or not La-Mulana 2 is actually coming out, and whether or not it will be good, and if it does come out, whether or not it is good.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Implojin, luckless

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th July 2018, 17:36

Re: la-mulana 2?

Some info about year, genre, and why it was that good? You know, for the uninitiated.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th July 2018, 18:12

Shtopit wrote:Some info about year, genre, and why it was that good? You know, for the uninitiated.

Metroidvania, original release 2005 in style of some old japanese console, remake in 2012 for human beings to play, really hard puzzling.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 28th July 2018, 19:19

Neat. Its release date on steam is still listed as summer 2018, so we'll see.

Shtopit wrote:Some info about year, genre, and why it was that good? You know, for the uninitiated.

You could just go play it. The original was freeware, if you can still find somewhere to download it. The remake was good too.

Arrhythmia wrote:in style of some old japanese console,

asdfg

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th July 2018, 19:32

Implojin wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:in style of some old japanese console,

asdfg

I kid, of course. Everyone knows that the original had the better music.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th July 2018, 06:28

I didn't care much for the La-Mulana remake. They modernized the graphics and sound, and improved the interface a little, but the gameplay for the most part was made actively worse in my opinion. The original La-Mulana has 2 or 3 traps that are likely to instantly kill you from high health and make you lose a lot of progress. The remake has like 15 such traps that I can recall off the top of my head. And they actually made healing more of a pain in the butt, which is a big problem when basically everything deals more damage than in the original.
And for every obtuse puzzle they got rid of, they added another, equally obtuse puzzle to compensate...

that one animation on yaksi was cute though

Implojin wrote:You could just go play it. The original was freeware, if you can still find somewhere to download it.

https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lamulana

Arrhythmia wrote:I kid, of course. Everyone knows that the original had the better music.
It's a perfect case study in how your samples need to inform your tracking/sequencing and vice versa, really. Lots of tracks in the original had such careful attention paid to mixing, where to use vibrato on chip samples, etc.; the midi versions (which seem to be what the remake versions are based on) throw all that out the window.
Every few months I try to figure out a way to accurately convert the SSCC versions to some more manageable format, or at least play them outside the stupid jukebox, and every time I fail. I just want to inspect every detail of the Confusion Gate song, dammit.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th July 2018, 21:43

guess how far i got in the remake before finding the grail

if you guessed "the gate of illusion" you're right!
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th July 2018, 23:42

lol

guess how far i got in the original before i figured out how to get through the one-way doors

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 00:38

duvessa wrote:lol

guess how far i got in the original before i figured out how to get through the one-way doors

hm. temple of the sun?
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 01:30

i beat four guardians, and visited twelve fields, before i finally leaned on a one-way door in the confusion gate and felt like the biggest chump on the planet

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 03:01

Minmay gently sighed as he closed the window screen and double-clicked LA-MULANA.EXE, having found himself inside of yet another hallway with one-way doors at either end.
take it easy

archaeo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 03:22

i just used the grail to teleport out whenever that happened

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 20:35

It's out.
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 22:35

Looks like 15% off on steam if you own the remake there, too, but maybe this doesn't matter 'cause you want to support the dev.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th August 2018, 06:35

oh yeah and the scorpion girl in the remake had great hair

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2018, 22:24

Don't click this if you don't want to see La-Mulana 2 puzzle spoilers

Seriously, don't
20+ hours in with 256 HP, the Feather, and 5 mantras before getting the Djed Pillar. Apparently Mulbruk's message unlocking the hanging sub-boss and Kujata only gets sent when you're standing in the Annwfn back entrance room, and I had already been there (much) earlier.

Explored *everything* accessible through the corridor of blood, found the chest with the feather past the immortal frog dude, had already seen the message saying to smash the tablet, and when the feather chest got unlocked with all those flying souls in the room I was like, hey, that's neat, a puzzle that requires you to take damage knockback to gain enough height to reach the chest. It was giving me a headache trying to figure out where to go next when everywhere seemed to explicitly require being able to use mantras, but I was chalking it up to being a typical La-Mulana bullshit obscure puzzle and looking for a back entrance to the pyramid.

Hooray for unintentional sequence breaks. -.-

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 15:28

Implojin wrote:Don't click this if you don't want to see La-Mulana 2 puzzle spoilers

lmao so i was going to reply to this post with a quote about how that's the absolute last thing i want to see and i wish and pray every day for a eternal sunshine machine to warp la-mulana one from my memory but then i quoted you and the text in the spoiler loaded so that's me owned!
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th August 2018, 17:31

fuck :(

Anyway it's a pretty fun sequel, the trap placement in some of these areas is hilariously sadistic

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th August 2018, 21:24

the grail's animation takes way longer! what the fuck ! !
take it easy

duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th August 2018, 03:29

i have so many god damned options for which way to explore. i am paralyzed with choice.
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 11th August 2018, 10:24

Welp, Griffin seems bugged and keeps respawning / doesn't unlock its chest.

Time to go play monster hunter world until the game gets patched I guess

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th August 2018, 03:58

Implojin wrote:Welp, Griffin seems bugged and keeps respawning / doesn't unlock its chest.

Time to go play monster hunter world until the game gets patched I guess

knowing that you're way farther than me and i haven't met "griffin" yet i get the feeling from how this game usually goes that you're probably missing the sword of an obscure malaysian deity that will stop him from respawning and unlock his chest.

i also managed to beat my third guardian without spoilers so far, which breaks my record from the original. feeling pretty good.
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th August 2018, 05:02

Arrhythmia wrote:knowing that you're way farther than me and i haven't met "griffin" yet i get the feeling from how this game usually goes that you're probably missing the sword of an obscure malaysian deity that will stop him from respawning and unlock his chest.

Yeah that's what I thought at first too, but the behavior of that room and the room that triggers it seem more like bugs

Probably going to end up just hoping that whatever's in there isn't vital

although it's blocking at least one gate, so, yeah

Arrhythmia wrote:i also managed to beat my third guardian without spoilers so far, which breaks my record from the original. feeling pretty good.

grats my dude

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th August 2018, 05:11

Implojin wrote:grats my dude

Thanks. it felt really good to piece together. I stuck myself on a red herring for a while, I knew I needed to
get the fairy king's boat to fight Kujura, but it was the FAIRY KING's boat, so i thought i'd have to strike a deal with the fairy king. i also read some shit about rescuing the fairies at the top of hailfire peaks or whatever it's called, and fucked around there for a bit. didn't realize all i needed to do was just talk to the weird dwarves that made it until i gave up in frustration and went back there. whoops!
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th August 2018, 00:02

that feeling when you get a new seal, and realize you were absolutely not taking notes at all about where you saw them earlier
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 13th August 2018, 06:18

that feeling when you were taking screenshots the whole game, but apparently forgot one and have to go back and search for the thing you missed anyway

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th August 2018, 19:20

Holy fuck I must have done every single god damn thing in the game while trying to find all the things I needed to fight Jormungand. Bright side is that's my fourth guradian without spoilers :D

e: make that five, aten-ra was a punk. cool as hell way to do a syncreticism boss
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2018, 05:11

Okay, I kind of liked the Dark Lord's footprints bit.

Now if only I could figure out how to trigger Ammit and get that rock out of the way without using grail shenanigans, I'm not keen on breaking sequence and fucking up triggers any further than I already have

Arrhythmia wrote:e: make that five, aten-ra was a punk. cool as hell way to do a syncreticism boss
yea

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2018, 10:03

I really dislike the gameplay around key fairies

I mean, it's La-Mulana and you knew going into it to expect this, but it's still like the dev took one look at trying to minimize backtracking and decided that not only did he want zero part of that, but also fuck you

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2018, 15:41

Implojin wrote:I really dislike the gameplay around key fairies

I mean, it's La-Mulana and you knew going into it to expect this, but it's still like the dev took one look at trying to minimize backtracking and decided that not only did he want zero part of that, but also fuck you

The fairies can blow me. I spend 300 dollars on the money fairy expecting I'll make my money back immediately and now I can't find her in any of my zones. Owned.

e: similarly,
spent a shitload of time in the gate of the dead trying to figure out the four white pedestals puzzle, finally crack it, and end up in a zone i've already got access to.

e2:
ammit is almost literally ice man from megaman one.
take it easy

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 17th August 2018, 22:58

Arrhythmia wrote:
Implojin wrote:I really dislike the gameplay around key fairies

The fairies can blow me. I spend 300 dollars on the money fairy expecting I'll make my money back immediately and now I can't find her in any of my zones. Owned.

e: similarly,
spent a shitload of time in the gate of the dead trying to figure out the four white pedestals puzzle, finally crack it, and end up in a zone i've already got access to.

e2:
ammit is almost literally ice man from megaman one.

From a loaded save, the fairies always appear in the same order when you touch a fairy point (unlike the first game where they are random and you have to study the entry animations):
Healing->Healing->Weapon->Healing->Money->Healing->Key
You can skip to the next fairy in the chain by leaving the screen before it appears, just like the first game. I don't know what comes after this since I just save/quit/reload if I need another fairy to make the points appear again.

Of course, you can also do it the proper way with software combos, not that the combo helps if you are an idiot like me and can't figure out how to enter
the Underworld to get Miracle Witch
until you've done literally everything that is possible to do other than that (including sequence breaking).
Last edited by Floodkiller on Wednesday, 22nd August 2018, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th August 2018, 23:06

Thanks for the tips about the fairies. I have
the yagoo street-view and the only icon for a fairy point is of the healing fairies, so between that and the long cycle before the money fairy, I figured I just had to explore harder. I was also PO'd when I solved the puzzle in the Gate of the Dead thinking I'd made it to the underworld. I think I've got an idea of what I need to do though, and now that I know how to get the money fairy I should be able to do it. Will report back after my vacation is over and I can play again.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2018, 19:50

despite being a lifelong lover of pointy ears, i was only attracted to 2 of the fairies, i want a refund

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd August 2018, 21:04

looks like griffin's been fixed

e: holy shit do i dislike anu.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 02:56

luckily he has like 5 hp

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 03:45

duvessa wrote:luckily he has like 5 hp

it would be cool if his hitbox wasn't so tiny that i could do that damage to him. he's dead now but damn he was the worst boss yet.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 04:09

oh boy that's the tip of the iceberg on weird boss hitboxes in this game buddy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th August 2018, 03:17

THIS fucking close to getting the cog. just need to figure out how to touch that one sigil that will let me get the vase.
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th August 2018, 16:25

As mentioned above, it looks like the Griffin bug was fixed with 1.2.2.2

Also that Cerberus sprite really bothered me

edit: Fucking Garm. Definitely a good time to stop playing for a bit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 02:17

Looks like the original version of 1 is windows only? But the steam remake is on mac as well? guess that means I can't try it for free but maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy it.

Edit: gog.com has it on sale for only 5 bucks, so I went for it.
Last edited by tasonir on Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 02:20

tasonir wrote:Looks like the original version of 1 is windows only? But the steam remake is on mac as well? guess that means I can't try it for free but maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy it.

Steam does refunds these days and the first two hours is more than enough to find out if you like it.

e: my contributions to this thread will be on hold while I smash my balls against the brick known as "the new Hollow Knight content"
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 06:52

I am really torn on reinstalling Hollow Knight to check out the expansions' content

On the one hand, the game was amazing, but on the other hand, I did steel soul at release and replaying a metroidvania without the exploring part just doesn't do it for me

@ tasonir : 5 bucks for the remake sounds like a pretty good deal, you'll know pretty quickly if it's your cup of tea

Just don't read any puzzle spoilers unless you get hopelessly stuck or you'll ruin the experience

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:06

Implojin wrote:I am really torn on reinstalling Hollow Knight to check out the expansions' content

On the one hand, the game was amazing, but on the other hand, I did steel soul at release and replaying a metroidvania without the exploring part just doesn't do it for me

if you didn't like the boss fights than Godmaster has nothing for you. If you wished that there was a way you could fight Nightmare King Grimm except he was twice as fast and every hit did four masks of damage than I've got great news!!

e: actually, you should probably check it out just for the battle against a million zote mutants, that's some goofy fun.
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:14

Arrhythmia wrote:if you didn't like the boss fights than Godmaster has nothing for you. If you wished that there was a way you could fight Nightmare King Grimm except he was twice as fast and every hit did four masks of damage than I've got great news!!

e: actually, you should probably check it out just for the battle against a million zote mutants, that's some goofy fun.

Yeah, after looking up what content was added in the 3 expansion patches it's probably worth replaying. The music is what tipped it for me, I really wouldn't mind playing through it again just for that.

Apparently there's a zone that was added that's roughly white palace on steroids? Is it closer to Wings of Vi or Super Meat Boy or just slightly harder than the relatively easy platforming of release Hollow Knight? Just have to play it again, I guess. At least there's a speedrun achievement I never bothered with.

..Maybe I'll wait until after the Hornet expansion comes out so I can experience all the new shit in one go.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 01:48

Implojin wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:if you didn't like the boss fights than Godmaster has nothing for you. If you wished that there was a way you could fight Nightmare King Grimm except he was twice as fast and every hit did four masks of damage than I've got great news!!

Yeah, after looking up what content was added in the 3 expansion patches it's probably worth replaying. The music is what tipped it for me, I really wouldn't mind playing through it again just for that.

Apparently there's a zone that was added that's roughly white palace on steroids? Is it closer to Wings of Vi or Super Meat Boy or just slightly harder than the relatively easy platforming of release Hollow Knight? Just have to play it again, I guess. At least there's a speedrun achievement I never bothered with.

..Maybe I'll wait until after the Hornet expansion comes out so I can experience all the new shit in one go.

Probably deffo good to revisit it, a whole shitload has been added, and it sounds like the Hornet DLC will be a separate adventure of sorts. Can't compare Path of Pain to other hard platformers because i generally detest the genre but: i found it fucking hard. the latest DLC added a new ending that's impossible to get, so that's cool.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 04:22

Implojin wrote:Just don't read any puzzle spoilers unless you get hopelessly stuck or you'll ruin the experience

I'm not super hardcore on puzzles so I look them up when I somewhat more moderately confused, but it's been fairly good so far. Beat the first snake boss, am trying to beat the giant one now, but I only have 18 shurikens which isn't enough to beat the second form without also hitting it with some whip damage. Not sure if I should try to go farm more shurikens or just try to jump in for the last few hits with the whip :P

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd September 2018, 15:42

hollow knight ultra-ending spoilers:

okay, back to la-mulana
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd September 2018, 16:37

why the fuck am i writing shit down. why the fuck am i using the in game tablet recorder. steam can take screenshots. what in the fuck is wrong with me.
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 4th September 2018, 00:13

To be fair, after going through the game taking notes through screenshots, I would have rather done it manually

With no text recognition parsing the relevant stuff out of your screenshots, it quickly becomes a chore scrolling through a bunch of similar-looking thumbnails trying to find the thing you're looking for

edit: Also, I feel like Miracle Witch was placed much too late in the game
(No manual fairy selection without screenhopping until after the fucking flame torc, I mean really?)
, and maybe I'm just a 2 int minotaur, but I also didn't finish Brahma's puzzle until after I'd found everything anyway

The underworld's gates were kind of fun though, once you get past the hraesvelgr bit

I think I'm going to echo minmay's preference for the original game here, but this was still worth playing

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th September 2018, 03:30

I actually liked La-Mulana 2 a lot better than the first remake; if nothing else, the puzzles and the main character's animations are waaaaaaay better in the sequel.

I'm not sure how to rank it against 2005 La-Mulana. The original's dedication to imitating the MSX was outstanding - the audio output sample rate is higher because it uses DirectMusic, and it doesn't have the sprite limits, but every other restriction of the hardware was perfectly obeyed. It's one of very, very few retro games that can actually sell the illusion of being ancient. And the way it reveals it's much larger than you thought is great. And the grail doesn't have a long-ass unskippable animation.
However, a lot of the "puzzles" were super annoying and/or stupid, and like, the puzzles are the entire reason to actually play the game. IMO the sequel has much better puzzles, hands down.
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner