Am I the only one who gets disorientated in Shoals?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 16th June 2018, 17:56

Am I the only one who gets disorientated in Shoals?

I was wondering, are there any plans of redesigning the graphics in Shoals? There's something about the choice of colors and graphics that makes it very confusing and difficult to see what's going on on the screen. Often times it takes me several seconds just locate an enemy on the screen.

What do you think about the Shoal graphics overall?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th June 2018, 19:51

Re: Am I the only one who gets disorientated in Shoals?

In console everything but sirens are fine. (And since I exclusively play Octopodes, they dont matter, zero threat rating.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 17th June 2018, 01:33

I definitely think that the amount of bright background tiles in shoals is not good. I often look at the screen for a bit before locating things, my eyes don't focus well on enemies there.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 17th June 2018, 03:19

The thing that makes it hard for me to see is the shared colors, the orange satyrs and gold armored merfolk as well as some of the giants that appear are a little too close to the bright tan beach, and some merfolk swimming sprites have a light blue tail that blends into shallow water abit too well.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 17th June 2018, 08:50

Design proposal: Shoals water is now dark blue, and all beaches are made of black sand. All monsters are deep-sea creatures and so colored bright red.

Return to Game Design Discussion