Species Proposal - Faerie Dragon

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 18:47

Re: Species Proposal - Faerie Dragon

I can't be sure since I can't see it before the crash, but it's lair:5, so it's possible. I assume from the sound of it that the crash would happen anytime it's trying to place an exclusion somewhere too far away from where you are/have seen. I'll try rebuilding crawl with that latest branch.

Edit: Ended up just copying the one line fix in, so thanks for linking to the specific commit. Doesn't crash anymore and it was an oklob farm vault, with 4 oklobs behind a wall of plants.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 14th May 2018, 01:19

I just finished playing a Faerie Dragon run (morgue). I very much enjoyed the experience, with no hunger costs being especially nice. My highlight was perhaps using free Shocks to kill ghost moths in Zot while completely drained of MP :D

As far as balance goes, I think the species is in a pretty good spot. The early game, with strong innate defences and essentially unlimited mana, is a caster-noob dream. I really like the idea of having a magic-themed species that can play through the start much like a noob would with, say, a MiFi where they are just going to autoexplore and then fight, positioning be damned. As the game goes on, the aspiring mage needs to learn positioning and so on but the point is that they had their hand held while getting a feel for using magic. There's a very common belief among new players that magic in Crawl is simply too difficult to even bother with (presumably because they tried a couple of times and died immediately to the first jackal pack they found) and a species such as this addresses that.

Reading this thread, it seems there's still a lot of skepticism the demand for a noob-friendly, obviously-magic-themed species exists. The argument is that Draconian already covers this field. As someone who spends a fair bit of time talking with and teaching new players, I promise you that demand is there. Draconians and Gargoyles (hell, even Hill Orcs, Deep Dwarves and Merfolk) can do absolutely fine with magic but nothing about them screams "I'm a magic species, pick me!" Anyone who wants to play the magic fantasy will invariably go for Deep Elf but that's an extremely difficult and punishing species to play and learn with when you're new. Tell them "pure caster" isn't a real thing until you're blue in the face but they won't care because the idea of being a powerful wizard blowing up enemies with spells is too strong. You might not think Faerie Dragon does an acceptable job of answering this demand but that's separate to whether or not the demand exists.

Places like Tavern and IRC tend to be much more populated by experienced Crawl veterans than noobs. If you hang out in a such places a lot, I think it can be easy to forget what the common player experience is like. These players aren't thinking about winning the game: they are pumped when they even make it to Lair. To show the hype generated by the idea of a noob-friendly, obviously-magic-themed species, I'd like to share some of the comments my Faerie Dragon videos received:

Joe Childers wrote:many newbies, coming from other fantasy games, want to play a mage. But mages in Crawl are difficult. So a MiBe of spells is a good thing for the game, if only because it makes it easier for more people to get hooked on the game.

T. wrote:I downloaded this build about an hour ago. I'm still doing good with my first faerie dragon!
I made it down to the second floor of the Crypt. I had defeated even an Ancient Lich by then, but I overextended in a battle with a revenant. This had probably been my best spellcaster run in the game yet. As far as I know so far, the faerie dragon is really good and strong. Their powerful magic compensates well for their subpar melee ability.

Eletar wrote:The concept of having 0 MP spells in the game is awesome, I think it'd give magic characters some fresh air.

Juan C Peirano wrote:currently trying out the fairy dragon, pretty awesome, really makes mage more viable.

Brandon Roberts wrote:As someone who has won several melee characters but has never won a caster, I like the idea of a beginning caster species

Bizzy Buzz wrote:A mage character who do not need to run away like 100+ turns? Sounds amazing!

For this message the author Ultraviolent4 has received thanks: 17
bel, byrel, chequers, Doesnt, Fingolfin, hermbot, mattlistener, nago, quik, Shard1697 and 7 more users

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 14th May 2018, 17:55

As someone who never made it to Lair with a mage background I add my vote to the species, especially as I find it has a really cool flavour.

Friends, Taverners, Internetpeople, lend me your ears;

I come to reanimate the Fairy Dragon, and to praise him.
If all the world were apple pie,
And all the sea were ink,
And all the trees were bread and cheese,
I'd still play Dungeon Crawl.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 04:00

Someone should compile a build where every species has:

-25% MP
-1MP cost to every spell

In other words, the concept of 0mp spells may be too good for the game for it to be limited to one species
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Realz

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 11:01

I might not be the target audience for a "beginner" mage race, but as someone who gets very frustrated with mage backgrounds I want to share my thoughts on what turns me off.

* Spell hunger is really punishing, and not in an "i'm going to run out of food kind of way. In a "you are hungry, you are hungry, you are hungry" kind of way. And it's worse for some races that i think are top candidates for forgiving casters, like orc.

* Damage spikes, i'm not going to type out the mechanic that must not be named, but, i will always remember that 40 AC draconian conjurer. More importantly, EV as a defense causes much more damage variance then AC builds. The game pushes casters away from AC builds with the mechanics of spell failure, and that's ok, it's logical that casters have lower defense because they generally get swung at way less often. But for someone playing casually, or "playing by ear", the jarring damage spikes that happen when you're working with mostly EV defence makes lethal damage appear from seemingly harmless monsters, or seemingly nowhere at all (hello unseen horror).

* Monsters that are dangerous or highly annoying to mages, or a subset of mages, but are mostly harmless to an Plate Armor Axe Maniac. This list is long, first you've got the random resistances on every other creature in the dungeon, honestly. Then you've got the hand crafted mage assassins, eyes of draining, ghost moths, silent specters, quicksilver dragons... And then if you count other ranged/fast but bounce off armor style monsters like centaurs and bees, it just seems like the number of lethal monsters doubles in mage background games.

* And last, buffs are too tedious, there was allot of talk about this topic in hell crawl development. And while i don't think the system over there should be imported or anything, i think the discussion on the problems with buffs and how applying them to yourself in every situation where you would want them on is way to tedious to actually do for most people is relevant to why mages are hard to get into for new players.

For this message the author braveplatypus has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 21:23

braveplatypus wrote:I might not be the target audience for a "beginner" mage race, but as someone who gets very frustrated with mage backgrounds I want to share my thoughts on what turns me off.

* Spell hunger is really punishing, and not in an "i'm going to run out of food kind of way. In a "you are hungry, you are hungry, you are hungry" kind of way. And it's worse for some races that i think are top candidates for forgiving casters, like orc.

Add this to your init.txt file:
  Code:
easy_eat_chunks        = true
auto_eat_chunks        = true
auto_butcher           = very hungry

Magically you will have about 5-10% of the work from spell hunger. While this also makes hunger less tedious for non-spellcasters, you're less likely to notice the difference.
braveplatypus wrote:
* Damage spikes, i'm not going to type out the mechanic that must not be named, but, i will always remember that 40 AC draconian conjurer. More importantly, EV as a defense causes much more damage variance then AC builds. The game pushes casters away from AC builds with the mechanics of spell failure, and that's ok, it's logical that casters have lower defense because they generally get swung at way less often. But for someone playing casually, or "playing by ear", the jarring damage spikes that happen when you're working with mostly EV defence makes lethal damage appear from seemingly harmless monsters, or seemingly nowhere at all (hello unseen horror).

I always put points into strength on my spellcasters, being a glass cannon is not for casual play; it requires a lot more attention to play a low-AC game by far. Ring mail or better is the way to go your durability shoots up noticeably, if you just can't stuff 3-6 more points into strength, then at least use Troll leather, it's not much more protection than robes, but it's easy to find and the regen will keep your hit points a little higher. Robes have some great egos, but archmagi is about the only one I find worth the AC trade.

You don't have to optimize for best-possible success rates on your spells, it's very frequently the case that your highest-possibly-castable-level spell isn't the optimal one to cast. If I can kill something with 5 shocks, or two static discharges, using lightning bolt is most frequently your worst choice, even if you can get the failure rate down sufficiently.
braveplatypus wrote:* Monsters that are dangerous or highly annoying to mages, or a subset of mages, but are mostly harmless to an Plate Armor Axe Maniac. This list is long, first you've got the random resistances on every other creature in the dungeon, honestly. Then you've got the hand crafted mage assassins, eyes of draining, ghost moths, silent specters, quicksilver dragons... And then if you count other ranged/fast but bounce off armor style monsters like centaurs and bees, it just seems like the number of lethal monsters doubles in mage background games.

While it's true that mages do have a bad time with a subset of things that a melee-using character does not, at the point where they're dangerous, centaurs are still dangerous to your melee-using character (and you don't have a ranged response available) as are bees (and all the current starting conjuration-focused books have at least one attack that can't miss, which happens to be very very effective against bees), try axe-tabbing through a bee cluster with a +0 plate mail and low armour skill and nothing else, it will not go particularly well, by the time a platemail-using, axe-tabber can tab mindlessly through a cluster of bees, a fire elementalist has conjure flame and fireball online.

Also "every other creature in the dungeon" is a bit hyperbolic, it's certainly true that some subset of critters is resistant to, or immune to, some subset of spells, it's not a super large cognitive load to figure out which is which, particularly in the "my starting kit is a significant portion of my power" portion of the game (Which is certainly larger for most book starts than it is for most melee-users) there's only a handful of critters that you have to watch out for per element (plus there's non=elemental conjurations if you really want to avoid having critters be resistant)

There are certainly some particularly nasty anti-mage critters out there, and not as many anti-melee critters, but the difference isn't as vast as you seem to imply, and centaurs and bees are not really among them.
braveplatypus wrote:* And last, buffs are too tedious, there was allot of talk about this topic in hell crawl development. And while i don't think the system over there should be imported or anything, i think the discussion on the problems with buffs and how applying them to yourself in every situation where you would want them on is way to tedious to actually do for most people is relevant to why mages are hard to get into for new players.

If you're a *new* player, you'll only get like 0-1 buff spell per game, and I seriously doubt the tediousness involved is anything close to an overriding reason that new players don't want to play mages; By definition something is tedious if you've had to do it a lot, and by definition a new player hasn't done *anything* a lot, while tediousness *is* an argument against buff spells, it doesn't apply to new players nearly as strongly as it does to ones with experience, when *everything* is new, buff spells are just one other new thing. (By contrast a new player is significantly more likely to not play a mage because "there are too many choices and I don't understand how to tell what the best one is")

If you mean "Buff spells are a significant reason why people who are reasonably experienced at playing melee backgrounds don't enjoy playing mages as much after a while" then that's a much stronger position.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 21:27

braveplatypus wrote:Then you've got the hand crafted mage assassins, eyes of draining, ghost moths
Can we just get rid of these? All they do is scare players that don't know how the MP draining works.

(When they gaze, they heal themselves whether you have MP or not, which is the reason ghost moths appear to be hard to kill, but you can simply turn invisible and they won't gaze at you ever.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
braveplatypus, Shard1697, Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 22:30

duvessa wrote:.

(When they gaze, they heal themselves whether you have MP or not, which is the reason ghost moths appear to be hard to kill, but you can simply turn invisible and they won't gaze at you ever.)

The things I learn after twenty wins :D Is it described in the moth spell / ability?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 23:48

duvessa wrote:
braveplatypus wrote:Then you've got the hand crafted mage assassins, eyes of draining, ghost moths
Can we just get rid of these? All they do is scare players that don't know how the MP draining works.

3,653 games and I just learned this

I had no idea they had any healing mechanic whatsoever, and in fact have never even seen any other person mention this. I think basically no one actually knows about this minus the dev team and you.
(at the very least, they should definitely have a message like "The ghost moth is healed!" when it happens... but why does it happen? antimagic weapon does not heal. seems like a very unrelated effect)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 03:56

It predates antimagic by like 15 years.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 04:04

I looked it up and the healing is actually capped at the amount of MP you have. It's still really silly to me that they heal, since it's not even relevant in the usual case on account of them wiping your MP bar in three turns. For practical purposes it's just a hidden extra punishment for desperately using channel or a potion of magic to get something off.

It's also not mentioned in the ability's description.

For this message the author Doesnt has received thanks: 3
braveplatypus, duvessa, Vajrapani

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 05:18

Doesnt wrote:I looked it up and the healing is actually capped at the amount of MP you have.
Interesting, it used to be a constant 10.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 07:18

Instead of "feed themselves", the description should say something like "feed and heal themselves" on "magical and then life force". Also a "looks healthier" message. And there's also that "living beings" thing, are undead and unliving immune?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 16:12

Ultraviolent4 wrote:
I just finished playing a Faerie Dragon run (morgue). I very much enjoyed the experience, with no hunger costs being especially nice. My highlight was perhaps using free Shocks to kill ghost moths in Zot while completely drained of MP :D

As far as balance goes, I think the species is in a pretty good spot. The early game, with strong innate defences and essentially unlimited mana, is a caster-noob dream. I really like the idea of having a magic-themed species that can play through the start much like a noob would with, say, a MiFi where they are just going to autoexplore and then fight, positioning be damned. As the game goes on, the aspiring mage needs to learn positioning and so on but the point is that they had their hand held while getting a feel for using magic. There's a very common belief among new players that magic in Crawl is simply too difficult to even bother with (presumably because they tried a couple of times and died immediately to the first jackal pack they found) and a species such as this addresses that.

Reading this thread, it seems there's still a lot of skepticism the demand for a noob-friendly, obviously-magic-themed species exists. The argument is that Draconian already covers this field. As someone who spends a fair bit of time talking with and teaching new players, I promise you that demand is there. Draconians and Gargoyles (hell, even Hill Orcs, Deep Dwarves and Merfolk) can do absolutely fine with magic but nothing about them screams "I'm a magic species, pick me!" Anyone who wants to play the magic fantasy will invariably go for Deep Elf but that's an extremely difficult and punishing species to play and learn with when you're new. Tell them "pure caster" isn't a real thing until you're blue in the face but they won't care because the idea of being a powerful wizard blowing up enemies with spells is too strong. You might not think Faerie Dragon does an acceptable job of answering this demand but that's separate to whether or not the demand exists.

Places like Tavern and IRC tend to be much more populated by experienced Crawl veterans than noobs. If you hang out in a such places a lot, I think it can be easy to forget what the common player experience is like. These players aren't thinking about winning the game: they are pumped when they even make it to Lair. To show the hype generated by the idea of a noob-friendly, obviously-magic-themed species, I'd like to share some of the comments my Faerie Dragon videos received:

Joe Childers wrote:many newbies, coming from other fantasy games, want to play a mage. But mages in Crawl are difficult. So a MiBe of spells is a good thing for the game, if only because it makes it easier for more people to get hooked on the game.

T. wrote:I downloaded this build about an hour ago. I'm still doing good with my first faerie dragon!
I made it down to the second floor of the Crypt. I had defeated even an Ancient Lich by then, but I overextended in a battle with a revenant. This had probably been my best spellcaster run in the game yet. As far as I know so far, the faerie dragon is really good and strong. Their powerful magic compensates well for their subpar melee ability.

Eletar wrote:The concept of having 0 MP spells in the game is awesome, I think it'd give magic characters some fresh air.

Juan C Peirano wrote:currently trying out the fairy dragon, pretty awesome, really makes mage more viable.

Brandon Roberts wrote:As someone who has won several melee characters but has never won a caster, I like the idea of a beginning caster species

Bizzy Buzz wrote:A mage character who do not need to run away like 100+ turns? Sounds amazing!

Thanks for the comments from new-ish players. I mentioned in the thread that most people here are relatively experienced, so that can distort discussion. So it's good to hear from non-Tavern people. I have several comments:

The main point of this species is that it is very powerful: MP reduction is huge in the early game, and remains a bigger buff than every other species forever.

Now, if one wants to make a species which is overpowered, of course people are going to find it smooth. You report that in the early game, you have basically infinite MP and you don't need to care about positioning (since spells work at a distance), so you can just power through. Later on, it's still powerful.

Is that a good thing -- for newbies or anyone else? I am skeptical.

I see that you compare it to MiFi, but that is misleading. I'll copy paste from my comment upthread:
bel wrote:Let's compare the idea to Be, in particular MiBe.

Berserkers are simple because you can simply ignore one aspect of the game (magic and MP), and Trog provides good panic buttons. Also, weapon selection is simplified with MiBe because they're good with everything. Playing MiBe teaches you the basics of crawl combat: positioning, stairs, luring, dealing with exhaustion, allies, MR. Also you still have to train skills sensibly (though there aren't many skills to train).

None of these aspects are true for this species as the "magic" counterpart to MiBe. Magic is inherently more complicated than melee because you have to keep track of two things (HP and MP). The species as it currently exists is just a "strong" species [...]

------------------------

Here's another way of looking at the "demand" for "easy" magic species: Suppose DE, instead of having -20% HP, had +20% HP. This species would also be very smooth and easy to play. Would it be a good idea?

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Plantissue

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 21:33

Semi-serious addition to bel's suggestion: deep elves are supposed to be glass cannons, so rename the +20% HP kind to high elf.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 21:38

While Bel does have a point, I don't think it's as dire or necessarily a fatal flaw for faerie dragons. Positioning is less important on casters, but that is a part of being a ranged caster type (same applies to ranged weapon users) and isn't a faerie dragon thing. The thing they simplify is mana management in the early game - if you're only casting level 1 spells, you literally don't have to manage mana. But in my opinion this is fine for the first 5-10 floors; and you get gradually forced to pay more and more attention to your mana bar as you move up in spell level. The bonus remains strong when you're casting level 5/6 spells, but it isn't overpowering at that point. Level 5/6 spells is my usual benchmark for "endgame 3 rune spells"; higher magic is usually for 15 rune/zigg games. If you did go for level 9's and extended, the bonus is even weaker there, although of course it's helpful at all points.

It's also interesting because while FD should eventually learn a weapon skill like any other caster, most of the time on casters you want to put some skill into weapon around the end of lair to first rune timeframe, but FD can use "level 1 spells" as their weak weapon type attack, and can delay getting a weapon skill until 2 or even 3 runes. This isn't mandatory of course you can train the weapon whenever you want, but it does make putting it off longer more viable. People have talked about using shock to deal with ghost moths, for example, which is one of the classic scenarios for why mages should have a weapon trained by then - now they have an alternative.

I'd consider FD to be both interesting and different from other races, which are the two primary concerns for new races. That they're strong or easy, isn't really a problem. It's actually their design goal. You can still argue that they go too far in that direction, but imho an easy caster is fine and while powerful, I wouldn't say they're too powerful. They might become a favorite for streaking, though, with that starting +6 ac.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th May 2018, 21:52

tasonir wrote:You can still argue that they go too far in that direction, but imho an easy caster is fine and while powerful, I wouldn't say they're too powerful. They might become a favorite for streaking, though, with that starting +6 ac.

This. That the species is super strong on D:1 is not necessarily unacceptable, just look at Trolls/Deep Dwarves.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 17th May 2018, 10:27

Or among recent addition, Gn.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 02:40

tasonir wrote:While Bel does have a point, I don't think it's as dire or necessarily a fatal flaw for faerie dragons. Positioning is less important on casters, but that is a part of being a ranged caster type (same applies to ranged weapon users) and isn't a faerie dragon thing. The thing they simplify is mana management in the early game - if you're only casting level 1 spells, you literally don't have to manage mana. But in my opinion this is fine for the first 5-10 floors; and you get gradually forced to pay more and more attention to your mana bar as you move up in spell level. The bonus remains strong when you're casting level 5/6 spells, but it isn't overpowering at that point. Level 5/6 spells is my usual benchmark for "endgame 3 rune spells"; higher magic is usually for 15 rune/zigg games. If you did go for level 9's and extended, the bonus is even weaker there, although of course it's helpful at all points.

I don't think I made my point clear, or you didn't get my point.

As I said, for a newbie, MiBe teaches them basic crawl combat (I detailed the various things in my previous post.) This species, on the other hand, doesn't have anything of the kind. If positioning doesn't matter, and MP doesn't matter -- for a "caster" no less -- then what's the point of combat? The monsters are just bags of XP to be slaughtered mindlessly to get to the next XL?

Second, the comparison with ranged users doesn't work either: hunters start with limited ammo, just like normal mages start with limited MP. (Of course ammo is plentiful in the later game, but that's not relevant here.) I made this point in my old post as well.

Lastly, as I (again) mention upthread: a -1MP reduction on a lvl 5 spell translates to +20% MP. That's more than even Dg or DE get. This is a huge bonus, right until the end of a typical 3-rune game.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 04:00

bel wrote:I don't think I made my point clear, or you didn't get my point.

As I said, for a newbie, MiBe teaches them basic crawl combat (I detailed the various things in my previous post.) This species, on the other hand, doesn't have anything of the kind. If positioning doesn't matter, and MP doesn't matter -- for a "caster" no less -- then what's the point of combat? The monsters are just bags of XP to be slaughtered mindlessly to get to the next XL?

Second, the comparison with ranged users doesn't work either: hunters start with limited ammo, just like normal mages start with limited MP. (Of course ammo is plentiful in the later game, but that's not relevant here.) I made this point in my old post as well.

Lastly, as I (again) mention upthread: a -1MP reduction on a lvl 5 spell translates to +20% MP. That's more than even Dg or DE get. This is a huge bonus, right until the end of a typical 3-rune game.

I agree that points 2 and 3 are compelling arguments, but I believe you are oversimplifying point 1, specifically from the perspective of teaching about magic in crawl. Seriously, magic in crawl is way more complicated than melee, and while the species removes the focus from positioning and MP economy, there is still a lot to learn to play a successful mage, from the top of my head : spell selection from the huge array of available spells, the different types of spells (way more dissimilar than types of weapons), spell success, spell power, spell hunger, spell noise, spell levels being gained from xp and spellcasting half-points, not overtraining spellcasting, training Fighting a lot (super unintuitive).
I do not believe that melee (or even ranged) fighting is that complicated, you could argue that's it hard to get a good feel of weapon delay and amount of defense, but that's about all that's complicated in melee fighting.

tl;dr magic is more complicated than melee, a beginner species should allow the player to focus on some aspects of the game and ignore some others, removing MP economy does not trivialize the magic learning process
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 05:02

+20% MP is less powerful than +20% HP and we have species with +30% HP...
Even if the species does not teach to manage MP, it is still miles further from mindless tabbing than MiBe because you still need to choose spells to cast and schools to train. Also in my games I was running out of MP late game quite often which proves that MP management is not irrelevant.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 06:36

Fingolfin wrote:spell noise
Spell noise is not nearly as opaque as melee noise, and it's no more important than melee noise is.
Fingolfin wrote:not overtraining spellcasting
Overtraining spellcasting on casters is a pretty direct parallel to overtraining fighting on non-casters.
Fingolfin wrote:training Fighting a lot (super unintuitive).
You don't need to train Fighting at all to win, a ton of people get their first win with no Fighting skill. Also the idea that you should train Fighting "a lot" if you're not using melee/missiles is just wrong.

Agreed on spell success and spell levels being confusing, and spell hunger being a newbie trap.

As far as spell power, spell selection, and the overall complexity of magic in DCSS, I'm not convinced. Correct weapon selection is infamously difficult to do without fsim, and if you watch unspoiled players they're usually running around with some randart war axe or spear and passing on 100 better weapons, and they really have no realistic spoiler-less path to improvement because of the extremely high variance of melee/missile damage coupled with the number of variables involved. Damage spells, on the other hand? Above spell level 1, practically all of them have multiple dice. The damage of Bolt of Fire is very stable, you can immediately discover that it does more damage than Fireball, if the level difference didn't clue you in already. Speaking of which, there are no +6 Throw Flames with {protect, rF+, Dex+3}, so one of the biggest newbie traps in melee/missiles just doesn't exist in spells.

All that said, what's really relevant here isn't whether magic is harder to learn than melee, it's whether faerie dragon would make magic significantly easier to learn. Perhaps it's just me, but even when I was very new to DCSS and very, very bad at DCSS, when I was playing pure conjurers I never saw MP economy as a difficult or even particularly relevant mechanic. This number goes down as I cast spells, if it gets too low I have to run away until it regenerates. I'm already familiar with that because it's exactly what HP does, right down to running away from the hobgoblin while it regenerates. I do not think MP cost reduction would have helped me learn the game. Things that really would have helped me:
  • Removing spell hunger. Yes, even I was initially fooled into thinking it would matter.
  • Simpler spells. For Unspoiled Me, the worst offenders were transmutations, anything that made allies, and anything that made a cloud (hard to figure out how much damage it's doing, I had no idea why my Mephitic Clouds weren't working well on death yaks etc. because how am I supposed to know what HD is?). I'm glad to see Evaporate and Bone Shards and Twisted Resurrection gone, but on the other hand, the new wave of conjurations is frankly awful in this regard: Searing Ray has multiple damage levels to keep track of, a weird interface, and only the third beam penetrates or something??? I'm a code diver and I'm still not sure what Dazzling Spray's targeting is doing. IMB has this explosion tacked on with a bizarre shape, and the chance of exploding depends on its range for some reason, and the explosion basically never hits anything anyway. Force Lance requires knocking the target into an obstacle to do decent damage, and the description makes no mention of this. Fulminant Prism is a weird pseudo-monster and again has several damage levels to keep track of. Battlesphere too. Orb of Destruction is a monstrosity of all the previously mentioned problems combined and more.
  • Better communication of what spell power is and does, and how much I have. I mentioned that spell damage is generally quite stable, and it is, but not so stable that the effects of increasing power are immediately visible. Even the effect of an enhancer is not always apparent. I wonder how many players are running around thinking that Int (or skills for that matter) only affect spell success, not spell damage? It's worse for non-damaging spells too, even experienced players often have no clue what power does for certain summoning and transmutations spells. Oh yeah, and to complain about cloud spells again, cloud damage is independent of spell power. And the spell power display is this weird nonlinear breakpoint bar with little indication of how to interpret it.
  • Warning me about how much damage monsters are able to do. This part has improved a lot since I started playing, since you're now shown monsters' spells and their melee damage, but even rough estimates of their missile damage or the damage of those spells (and often their other effects) were things that I usually had to learn by dying to them.
  • Showing % spell failure instead of "Good, Great, Excellent", and so on. This one has already been fixed.
  • Better communication of how massively expensive high skill levels are compared to low ones. Also mostly fixed.
  • Free reign over my spell list, and no miscast effects that kill/cripple me, so that I could try out new spells with no penalty. There was Selective Amnesia, but I wouldn't always find it, or would even think I couldn't spare the spell levels to keep it in my spell list (again, stupid new player things), and I didn't want to burn my Sif piety because that would mean less books!!!

I generally got much further playing fast species (spriggan and centaur) than I did playing other species, but that's because speed is really powerful and makes those species really powerful. All I learned from playing centaur was that being fast was really good, and that a lich could do like 90 damage with Bolt of Iron. I do not think that making my characters really powerful inherently helped me learn magic, or much else. Even if it did, again: if you want that just buff DE instead of adding a new species.

This isn't to say that this faerie dragon species couldn't have a place in DCSS. Alternative MP mechanics have the potential to be interesting and unique. Heck, I even liked the shared HP/MP mechanic on Dj before it got buried in special cases. But I'm not thrilled at the idea of adding a new species just to have a more powerful magic-oriented species.

This is to say that making magic approachable demands a lot more than a new species.

But as long as we're talking about species: that list I presented was mostly not things that would make sense as species features, but the last one could work. A species could have unlimited spell amnesia with no penalty, and still be balanced and maybe even interesting. Feel free to combine that with MP cost reduction or just unlimited MP, with some way of preventing summon spamming from being strictly better than resting. I don't buy that MP is tactically interesting as it currently stands anyway, you get too much of it. Again, such a species would not be a substitute for fixing the complexity and opacity problems I outlined above.

And with all that said, all my first wins were still with pure conjurers. Even in 0.4 and 0.5, I thought they were a lot easier than melee.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
bel, Fingolfin, Majang, nago, njvack

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 07:22

duvessa wrote:A species could have unlimited spell amnesia with no penalty, and still be balanced and maybe even interesting.

I remember a discussion of similar idea and then there was a good counter-argument that we don't want to retreat from every monster just to prepare a special spell set for the fight. It could be worse than retreating from monsters when item destruction existed.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 07:51

What about a species with no spell slot limit? No big difference with infinite amnesia.

However, I'm not fond of either the two and personally I think faerie dragon, from what I understood they do, are kinda better suited for new players, because infinite spell list means a truckload of cognitive load.
Moreover, Gn already gives a good way to try in a single game lot of different spells up lv.6 and I don't think they're very good for new player from this point of view.

I mean, I am a "very experienced" player and yet I am baffled with Gn's spell selection from midgame onwards as it is very difficult to decide which set would be the best - even if while having almost all the knowdlege about the single spells.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 09:10

nago wrote:What about a species with no spell slot limit? No big difference with infinite amnesia.

However, I'm not fond of either the two and personally I think faerie dragon, from what I understood they do, are kinda better suited for new players, because infinite spell list means a truckload of cognitive load.
Moreover, Gn already gives a good way to try in a single game lot of different spells up lv.6 and I don't think they're very good for new player from this point of view.

I mean, I am a "very experienced" player and yet I am baffled with Gn's spell selection from midgame onwards as it is very difficult to decide which set would be the best - even if while having almost all the knowdlege about the single spells.

Gn is unique because it gives access to very many spells. The new species is more standard, to have access to high level spells you need to train corresponding schools so the list for spells will not be as overwhelming because most spells will be at 100% fail.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 18:20

nago wrote:What about a species with no spell slot limit? No big difference with infinite amnesia.
The difference is that you quickly end up with more spells in your spell list than can fit on the screen, and eventually more spells than available hotkeys.
VeryAngryFelid wrote:I remember a discussion of similar idea and then there was a good counter-argument that we don't want to retreat from every monster just to prepare a special spell set for the fight. It could be worse than retreating from monsters when item destruction existed.
This is definitely a problem and I should have mentioned it from the outset, though it's definitely not as bad as item destruction. The penalty for not avoiding item destruction monsters was permanently losing power, the penalty for not rearranging your spell set is...the monster is a little harder. It is essentially equivalent to equipment swapping, and I suspect it will be useful much less often than equipment swapping - the optimal spell set for a particular character is going to be the same against 99% of monsters, and for the remaining 1% you have to get away from them to rearrange your spell set so it just won't be tactically worth it if you're in actual danger.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 19th May 2018, 02:17

VeryAngryFelid wrote:+20% MP is less powerful than +20% HP and we have species with +30% HP...
Even if the species does not teach to manage MP, it is still miles further from mindless tabbing than MiBe because you still need to choose spells to cast and schools to train. Also in my games I was running out of MP late game quite often which proves that MP management is not irrelevant.

You have misread my point as well.

Most of the discussion here is talking about the early game, not the late game. This is because, for new players, early game is the important point, because they are not going to reach the late game very often.

The bonus at the beginning of the game is +infinity% MP. The bonus at the end of a (typical 3-rune) game is about 20%. Therefore, comparing it to a flat bonus is wrong and besides the point. I was just making the point that the bonus remains big right through to the end. Yes, you don't have infinite MP in the late game: I didn't say this, nor is it relevant to my main point.

-----------------------

About Fingolfin's points: A couple of things I can add to duvessa's post.

My first win was with a magic user as well: a more or less "pure magic" DEFE of Vehumet where everything dangerous was met with a Fire Storm or Crystal Spear to the face. Though I learnt the basics of the game with melee and my first rune was with MiBe. (I started in 0.15)

It's not clear to me that spell selection is difficult, relatively speaking. For instance, for a DEFE, spell selection is rather easy: you learn all the spells in your starting book (and train the corresponding spell schools - conj/fire), and that will take you through Lair. Yes, you need to train defences and so on, but that is no different from a melee start. The more tricky parts of spell selection come later, when the player is more experienced.
Last edited by bel on Saturday, 19th May 2018, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th May 2018, 02:39

oh yeah, that reminds me, inner flame is another noob trap spell

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Majang

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th May 2018, 06:06

Bel
Probably now you miss our point. Early game casters are infinitely harder than melee starts and FD makes them relatively equal. Late game +20% MP is still inferior to +20%HP in heavy armour. Overall Tr is more powerful than FD at ANY point of the game but FD is more fun when you want to play as primarily caster

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 19th May 2018, 06:31

nvm

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd May 2018, 08:45

For anyone who'd like to play Faerie Dragon online, I've just been informed that it's on the Korean server under the branch called "demigod_Rework_1.2"

I accosted one poor player in English:

For this message the author Ultraviolent4 has received thanks:
denstark

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 17:29

Realz wrote:After encouraging as many friends and co-workers as I could to play Crawl (we filled 9(!) teams in the 0.21 tournament), I noticed that many of them expressed a desire to cast some spells after they got their fill of MiBe and similar, but for many reasons the playstyle of "killdudes with spells" is initially much more difficult than melee counterparts. Although I'm certain this will remain true, I noticed a lack of a species in the "Simple" category that clearly serves to guide players into spellcasting by directly speaking to that fantasy while providing bonuses that can help players go through the motions. In my own experiences and in speaking to others, Crawl really "opens up" to a player and reveals its potential for endless variable fun experiences as soon as they become more comfortable with spells.

I found the gargoyl to be what you are describing. They have very few drawbacks and the poison immunity helps a lot at the beginning (as does the terror resistance at the end). Moreover they get both natural armor (like draconians) *and* can use armour (unlike draconians). Finally they are also good conjurers, and flying helps newbies as it makes places like shoal/swamp or the fire and ice hells easier to play.

In fact if anything I think gargoyls are too powerful. So perhaps if Realz idea is implemented gargoyls could get some kind of nerfing, like -- imho the obvious choice -- make their movment 10% slower (1 square in 1.1 time). They are rock, after all. :)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th May 2018, 23:51

hong: Are not the versions of Fairy Dragon and Demigod combined in the plan?
Realz: Hmm
Realz: I made them separate, so that Crawl developers can take what they want
Realz: I can combine, if you want?
hong: yes, i wanted it. and my players too.
hong: demigod is good for old user, and fairy dragon is good for magician newbie
Realz: ok

hong is the cwz server admin - he requested a version that has both Faerie Dragon and the experimental Dg redesign. I've made a release with available source that combines them, so that is available if anyone else wants that (or wants to host it).

https://github.com/RealzHS/crawl/releases -- it's the "FD_and_Dg" release

And there was more than 1 conversation that went something like this =)

cheld556: thank you for making this!
cheld556: then did you made the fairy dragon too?
Realz: Yes
cheld556: oh
Realz: FD good?
cheld556: Yeah!!
cheld556: of course
cheld556: after playing Fd
cheld556: i can't play DE
Realz: =)
cheld556: many
cheld556: korean gamers
cheld556: like fairy dragon
cheld556: really
cheld556: I really thank on behalf of Korean players
cheld556: lol!
Realz: 고맙습니다! - [translated: Thank you!]
cheld556: 고맙습니다! - [translated: Thank you!]
cheld556: =)
Realz: 나는 당신이 그것을 즐겁게 해 드리겠습니다. - [translated: I am happy to make something you enjoy.]
cheld556: thank you thank you

For this message the author Realz has received thanks:
chequers

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2018, 00:57

FD is live on CPO too https://crawl.project357.org/

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 01:09

Well it's too late! I already went and won mine locally. (I might play another)

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 1.1-sif-1-gca738b9dea (tiles) character file.

2063178 Tasonir the Sensei (level 27, 265/265 HPs)
             Began as a Faerie Dragon Earth Elementalist on May 17, 2018.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on May 29, 2018!

The game lasted 03:26:51 (52842 turns).

Tasonir the Sensei (FDEE)                          Turns: 52842, Time: 03:26:52

Health: 265/265    AC: 45    Str: 24    XL:     27
Magic:  46/47      EV: 52    Int: 42    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   6531       SH: 18    Dex: 30    Spells: 19/54 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis .     - Unarmed
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   t - +3 buckler {rC+ rF+}
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   (armour unavailable)
rPois    ∞         Spirit   .   k - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   S - +2 cloak
rCorr    .         Harm     .   (gloves currently unavailable)
MR       +++..                  (boots currently unavailable)
Stlth    +.........             T - amulet of regeneration
HPRegen  0.94/turn              J - ring "Puqan" {rPois AC+6}
MPRegen  0.30/turn              E - ring of Phasing {EV+8}

@: statue-form, flying evasively, very slow
A: small, magic attunement, unstealthy, unfitting armour, blurry vision 1, high
mp 1, magical scales, able to fly
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver
a: Stop Flying, End Transformation, Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step
From Time, Renounce Religion

You escaped.
You worshipped Cheibriados.
Cheibriados was exalted by your worship.
You were hungry.

You were a stone statue.

You visited 11 branches of the dungeon, and saw 53 of its levels.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Bailey, Ice Cave and Wizlab.

You collected 10717 gold pieces.
You spent 4186 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - the +9 staff of Wucad Mu {channel}
   (You found it in a wizard's laboratory)
Missiles
 z - 22 throwing nets (quivered)
Armour
 k - a +2 hat of magic resistance (worn)
 s - a +2 shield
 t - a +3 buckler of resistance (worn)
 R - the +1 pair of gloves of Shielding (melded) {rC- Int+8}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Realm of Zot)   

It affects your intelligence (+8).
   It makes you vulnerable to cold.
 S - a +2 cloak (worn)
Magical Staves
 F - an uncursed staff of earth
Jewellery
 r - an uncursed ring of resist corrosion
 v - a +6 amulet of reflection
 y - a +4 ring of protection
 E - the ring of Phasing (right hand) {EV+8}
   (You took it off a deep elf high priest on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

[ring of evasion]

It affects your evasion (+8).
 G - the ring of Tyox {+Fly rF+ Dex+5 SInv Stlth+}
   (You acquired it on level 1 of the Snake Pit)   

[ring of protection from fire]

It affects your dexterity (+5).
   It protects you from fire.
   It lets you see invisible.
   It lets you fly.
   It makes you more stealthy.
 J - the ring "Puqan" (left hand) {rPois AC+6}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 1 of the Snake Pit)   

[ring of protection]

It affects your AC (+6).
   It protects you from poison.
 K - the ring of the Mage {Wiz MR++ Int+3}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

[ring of wizardry]

It improves your spell success rate.
   It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
 T - an amulet of regeneration (around neck)
 X - the ring "Yfahothu" {rF++ rC++ rN+ Str-3}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Crypt)   

[ring of positive energy]

It affects your strength (-3).
   It greatly protects you from fire.
   It greatly protects you from cold.
   It protects you from negative energy.
Wands
 w - a wand of digging (14)
 L - a wand of acid (24)
 M - a wand of polymorph (18)
 V - a wand of scattershot (5)
Scrolls
 d - 14 scrolls of fog
 e - 16 scrolls of teleportation
 j - 7 scrolls of blinking
 m - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon
 o - 10 scrolls of amnesia
 p - 9 scrolls of fear
 x - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
 D - 3 scrolls of identify
 I - a scroll of silence
 N - 4 scrolls of enchant armour
 W - 13 scrolls of remove curse
 Y - 3 scrolls of summoning
 Z - 2 scrolls of brand weapon
Potions
 f - a potion of resistance
 h - 3 potions of invisibility
 i - 10 potions of might
 l - 9 potions of brilliance
 n - 3 potions of mutation
 q - 13 potions of heal wounds
 u - 8 potions of degeneration
 A - 4 potions of berserk rage
 B - 19 potions of curing
 C - 3 potions of magic
 H - 2 potions of ambrosia
 Q - 5 potions of cancellation
 U - 9 potions of agility
Miscellaneous
 b - a lamp of fire
 g - a fan of gales
 P - 3 phantom mirrors
Comestibles
 c - 108 rations

Skills:
 - Level 20.8 Fighting
 + Level 22.8 Dodging
 - Level 1.2 Stealth
 - Level 5.6 Shields
 * Level 26.9 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 14.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 10.0 Conjurations
 - Level 19.0 Translocations
 - Level 10.0 Transmutations
 - Level 16.0 Earth Magic
 - Level 14.0 Invocations

You had 19 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Statue Form           Tmut/Erth      #######..    1%          6    None
b - Irradiate             Conj/Tmut      #######...   1%          5    None
c - Lee's Rapid Deconstr  Erth           ########..   1%          5    None
d - Petrify               Tmut/Erth      #######.     1%          4    None
e - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ######       0%          3    None
f - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          2%          8    None
g - Lesser Beckoning      Tloc           ########..   0%          3    None
h - Apportation           Tloc           ######       0%          1    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (1/1) D:5            Lair (6/6) D:11
  Swamp (4/4) Lair:2        Snake (4/4) Lair:2        Slime (0/5) Lair:5
    Orc (2/2) D:9             Elf (3/3) Orc:2        Vaults (5/5) D:14
  Crypt (3/3) Vaults:3       Tomb (0/3) Crypt:3      Depths (5/5) D:15
    Zot (5/5) Depths:5   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Gozag
Hepliaklqana
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Qazlal
Ru
Sif Muna
Uskayaw
Vehumet
Wu Jian
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One
Beogh
Jiyva

Shops:
D:10 !   D:11 ?   D:13 *   D:14 }   Orc:2 ?*=   Elf:2 =   Elf:3 %   Snake:1 }}=   Snake:3 =   Vaults:2 [

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5
Abyss: Depths:4 Depths:5
Pandemonium: Depths:2 Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:4
Trove: D:10 (give 5 scrolls of blinking)

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your spells do not cause hunger and MP costs are reduced by 1.
Your bright wings attract enemies. (Stealth-)
You cannot fit into any form of body armour.
You are small and have problems with some larger weapons.
(Your scales shimmer with magical energies. (AC +6, SH +6))
You can fly continuously.
Scrolls take you a little longer to read.
You have an increased reservoir of magic. (+10% MP)

Message History

Okay, then.
Take off which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start removing your armour.
You continue taking off your +3 buckler of resistance. x4
You finish taking off your +3 buckler of resistance.
You feel hot and cold all over.
Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
F - an uncursed staff of earth (weapon)
Casting: Statue Form (safe; 1% risk of failure)
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
You feel a surge of power!
You extend your transformation's duration.
Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You are now empty-handed.
Wear which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your +3 buckler of resistance. x4
You finish putting on your +3 buckler of resistance.
You feel resistant to extremes of temperature.
You have escaped!

#...............#       ###..#
   #.....###.......#         #..#
   #.....#########.#         ##.#
   #......)...#  #.#      #####.##
   #.....####.####.#      #......#
   #.....#  #......#      #......##
   #.....#  ###...##      #.......#
   #.....# ###.....##     #.......#
   #.....###........#     #.....#.#
   ##.####.....##...####  #.....#.##
    #.# #......###..##.#  #.....#..#
#####.###.....###......#  #.....##.#
....#.##......###....#.## #.....##..
......#...##...#..8.#...# #########.
........)####.......##..####........
.........#  ##.....###...†..........
......#..#   #....## ###††.....#####
......#..### ##...#  ###.......#...#
.....###...####...####.........#.#.#
.....# #.....#......#...####.#.#.#.#
.....#####.............##  #.#...#.#
........####.[...#.###.#   #.#.###.#
.##........##..##### ###   #.#.....#
.##.....##.....#           #.#......
†##.....########           #.#######
.##.....#                  #........

There were no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  8 orbs of fire
  8 ancient liches
  2 pandemonium lords
  Sojobo (Depths:2)
  Frederick (Vaults:4)
  Xtahua (Vaults:5)
  2 Killer Klowns (Zot:5)
  Bai Suzhen (Depths:2)
  4 curse toes
  7 golden dragons
  Nikola (Elf:3)
  4 bone dragons
  A profane servitor (Crypt:1)
  A Tzitzimitl (Zot:1)
  Jorgrun (Vaults:1)
  A hellephant (Depths:4)
  6 electric golems
  Rupert (Lair:5)
  24 Orb Guardians
  5 liches
  11 tentacled monstrosities
  2 Ice Fiends (IceCv)
  10 quicksilver dragons
  4 titans
  4 deep elf blademasters
  2 deep elf master archers (Elf:3)
  4 thorn hunters (Swamp:4)
  4 sphinxes
  8 death cobs
  An ancient champion (Crypt:1)
  22 storm dragons
  Agnes (Elf:1)
  10 shadow dragons
  2 revenants
  13 tengu reavers
  2 iron dragons (Vaults:5)
  15 frost giants
  3 draconian monks
  11 fire giants
  4 draconian knights
  6 nagarajas
  Aizul (Elf:3)
  5 ghost moths
  16 vault wardens
  A ghost moth (shapeshifter) (Vaults:1)
  6 deep elf sorcerers
  2 curse skulls
  5 deep elf elementalists (Elf:3)
  11 draconian scorchers
  5 draconian shifters
  7 draconian stormcallers
  9 war gargoyles
  A spriggan defender (Depths:4)
  12 ironheart preservers
  7 ghouls
  4 large abominations
  6 draconian annihilators
  19 very ugly things
  7 vampire knights
  22 green draconians
  18 stone giants
  An entropy weaver (Vaults:4)
  5 deep elf demonologists
  14 black draconians
  A lorocyproca (Zot:3)
  15 dire elephants (Depths:4)
  12 deep elf annihilators
  15 yellow draconians
  10 white draconians
  A minotaur (Lab)
  16 purple draconians
  10 red draconians
  3 eidola
  8 spark wasps
  7 deep elf death magi
  15 ettins
  7 fire dragons
  A merfolk javelineer (Depths:1)
  3 crystal guardians (Crypt:3)
  4 deep elf high priests
  A merfolk impaler (Depths:1)
  5 great orbs of eyes
  A jiangshi (Crypt:2)
  39 vault guards
  18 yaktaur captains
  2 hell beasts
  6 rakshasas
  8 naga warriors
  12 ice dragons
  A hydra (shapeshifter) (Vaults:5)
  2 quicksilver dragon skeletons
  9 spriggan air magi
  7 centaur warriors
  29 hydras
  5 death yaks (Lair:4)
  30 dancing weapons
  21 anacondas
  5 death knights
  21 ogre magi
  7 alligators
  71 two-headed ogres
  2 deep troll earth magi
  8 shock serpents
  8 deep troll shamans
  7 spriggan berserkers
  A titan zombie (Crypt:3)
  10 tengu warriors
  3 hell hogs (D:1)
  6 orc high priests
  3 vampire magi
  A shock serpent (shapeshifter) (Depths:1)
  9 naga sharpshooters
  6 hell knights (Crypt:3)
  A sun demon (Zot:5)
  21 deep elf knights
  5 soul eaters
  Sonja (Lair:3)
  6 spriggans
  21 skeletal warriors
  A spectral minotaur (Depths:3)
  4 shadow wraiths
  5 salamander mystics (Snake:4)
  5 iron trolls
  2 sixfirhies (Zot:5)
  5 small abominations (Vaults:5)
  3 spriggan druids
  A shadow demon (Zot:1)
  5 unseen horrors
  16 deep trolls
  9 wizards
  12 flayed ghosts
  2 death drakes (Depths:3)
  A spectral hydra (Depths:3)
  14 swamp dragons
  11 deep elf archers
  8 glowing orange brains
  2 golden dragon zombies
  10 naga ritualists
  A harpy (shapeshifter) (Elf:1)
  13 phantasmal warriors
  12 ironbrand convokers
  5 lindwurms
  A mana viper (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  17 orc knights
  15 harpies
  9 necromancers
  2 shambling mangroves
  3 orange crystal statues
  6 orc sorcerers
  34 ugly things
  A fire giant zombie (Crypt:3)
  5 oklob plants (Lair:5)
  A shadow dragon skeleton (Crypt:3)
  15 mana vipers
  3 manticores
  An iron dragon zombie (Crypt:1)
  A tengu skeleton (Vaults:3)
  51 deep elf magi
  A stone giant zombie (Crypt:3)
  29 moths of wrath
  9 cyclopes
  A faun (shapeshifter) (Depths:2)
  8 wolf spiders
  2 ice statues (IceCv)
  6 salamanders
  11 vault sentinels
  5 centaur zombies
  40 black mambas
  16 naga magi
  2 stone giant skeletons
  Joseph (D:8)
  Maurice (D:8)
  6 guardian serpents (Snake:4)
  A smoke demon (Zot:1)
  Psyche (D:8)
  13 spiny frogs
  A minotaur zombie (Lab)
  A yaktaur zombie (Vaults:4)
  An emperor scorpion zombie (Crypt:3)
  A catoblepas zombie (Crypt:3)
  8 komodo dragons
  2 efreet
  53 yaktaurs
  A yaktaur (shapeshifter) (Depths:2)
  14 ice devils
  A spectral merfolk (Depths:3)
  A hellwing (Zot:5)
  4 rime drakes
  12 freezing wraiths
  A redback zombie (Crypt:2)
  6 tyrant leeches
  4 tengu conjurers
  A guardian mummy (Zot:3)
  8 trolls
  2 queen bees (shapeshifter)
  A jumping spider (shapeshifter) (Vaults:4)
  3 meliai (D:15)
  2 meliai (shapeshifter)
  12 polar bears
  A death yak skeleton (Crypt:2)
  A polar bear (shapeshifter) (Vaults:3)
  3 hornets (shapeshifter)
  16 hornets
  4 raiju
  Grinder (D:3)
  5 bog bodies
  27 blink frogs
  36 slime creatures
  A guardian serpent zombie (Crypt:1)
  4 dream sheep (Lair:6)
  A fire giant simulacrum (Vaults:3)
  2 ice dragon skeletons
  A meliai zombie (D:15)
  A jumping spider zombie (Crypt:1)
  17 hippogriffs
  2 ettin skeletons
  A blink frog (shapeshifter) (Depths:2)
  A fire dragon skeleton (Crypt:1)
  28 flying skulls (Crypt:3)
  3 air elementals
  8 vampires
  32 yaks
  8 shadows
  11 wraiths
  12 water elementals
  6 wyverns
  A tarantella (Vaults:4)
  A black mamba skeleton (Crypt:1)
  3 fire elementals (Elf:1)
  A yak (shapeshifter) (Elf:1)
  8 basilisks
  2 basilisks (shapeshifter) (Depths:1)
  A chaos spawn (D:1)
  6 hungry ghosts
  A steam dragon (Lair:6)
  11 vampire mosquitoes
  A water nymph zombie (Crypt:2)
  3 minotaur simulacra (Depths:3)
  7 insubstantial wisps
  3 hydra simulacra (Depths:3)
  2 faun zombies
  A soldier ant (shapeshifter) (Vaults:1)
  A naga (shapeshifter) (Vaults:1)
  16 wargs
  25 swamp worms
  5 acid dragons
  36 nagas
  A floating eye (Depths:3)
  A spectral troll (Depths:3)
  18 hell hounds
  A hornet zombie (D:13)
  A spectral spriggan (Depths:3)
  A swamp drake (shapeshifter) (Depths:2)
  4 porcupines
  3 human zombies
  A meliai simulacrum (D:15)
  12 swamp drakes
  10 water moccasins
  42 orc warriors
  5 ice beasts
  15 black bears
  4 eyes of draining
  A manticore zombie (Crypt:3)
  4 boggarts
  An ogre (shapeshifter) (Elf:3)
  51 ogres
  A snapping turtle zombie (Depths:3)
  A blink frog zombie (Crypt:1)
  9 necrophages
  A phantom (D:5)
  7 centaurs
  19 wolves
  13 crocodiles
  4 big kobolds
  17 bullfrogs
  An elf zombie (Crypt:1)
  An earth elemental (Elf:1)
  9 gnoll sergeants
  A yaktaur skeleton (Crypt:1)
  An ogre simulacrum (Vaults:1)
  6 scorpions
  A water moccasin zombie (D:9)
  2 spectral nagas (Depths:3)
  A troll zombie (D:9)
  4 killer bees (D:10)
  2 spectral ogres (Depths:3)
  A raiju skeleton (Crypt:2)
  10 wights
  2 orc simulacra
  An electric eel (Lair:1)
  4 howler monkeys
  3 spectral centaurs (Depths:3)
  9 crimson imps
  3 bullfrog zombies
  A human simulacrum (Vaults:4)
  3 quasits
  8 hounds
  3 jellies
  23 orc wizards
  4 bullfrog skeletons
  40 orc priests
  6 gnoll shamans (Bailey)
  6 centaur skeletons
  5 iguanas
  11 worker ants
  5 ogre zombies (D:9)
  A dwarf skeleton (Crypt:1)
  2 hound skeletons
  25 gnolls
  A worker ant zombie (D:8)
  12 adders
  6 shadow imps
  9 white imps
  9 ufetubi
  An adder skeleton (D:4)
  2 adder zombies
  A halfling skeleton (Crypt:1)
  A worm (D:3)
  3 dart slugs
  8 leopard geckos
  87 orcs
  9 bats
  A giant cockroach (D:6)
  8 hobgoblins
  16 jackals
  21 kobolds
  3 quokkas
  A quokka (shapeshifter) (Depths:2)
  2 ball pythons
  A dart slug zombie (Crypt:2)
  4 frilled lizards
  8 goblins
  2 goblin skeletons (D:9)
  2 hobgoblin skeletons (D:9)
  3 hobgoblin zombies (D:9)
  A kobold skeleton (Crypt:3)
  2 leopard gecko skeletons
  A leopard gecko zombie (Crypt:2)
  5 orc skeletons (D:9)
  7 orc zombies (D:9)
  6 rats
  A rat skeleton (Crypt:2)
  A rat zombie (Crypt:2)
  A crawling corpse (Vaults:5)
  3 plants
2625 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A ghost moth (Zot:5)
  A vault warden (Vaults:1)
  A yellow draconian (Depths:5)
  3 yaktaur captains (Vaults:3)
  3 centaur warriors
  A hell hog (D:1)
  A naga sharpshooter (Snake:2)
  2 cyclopes
  3 moths of wrath (Zot:5)
  3 yaktaurs
  A tengu conjurer (Depths:2)
  A naga (Snake:1)
  A swamp worm (Swamp:4)
  An orc warrior (D:13)
  4 ogres
  4 centaurs
  2 white imps (IceCv)
  An orc (Vaults:2)
  79 fungi
  89 plants
202 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 2827 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
-------+----------+-------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Tasonir the Faerie Dragon Earth Elementalist began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 11/11 MP: 5/5
   321 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 17/17 MP: 7/7
   680 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 21/21 MP: 9/9
   685 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Stone Arrow
   739 | D:2      | Noticed an ogre
   742 | D:2      | Killed an ogre
   742 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Earth Magic
   742 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 27/27 MP: 9/11
   742 | D:2      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 31/31 MP: 9/12
  1299 | D:3      | Noticed Grinder
  1316 | D:3      | Killed Grinder
  1316 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 32/36 MP: 1/15
  1337 | D:3      | Found a stormy altar of Qazlal.
  1337 | D:3      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  1382 | D:3      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  1545 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 41/41 MP: 4/16
  1603 | D:4      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  1684 | D:4      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  2222 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  2258 | D:5      | Found a shadowy altar of Dithmenos.
  2262 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
  2308 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 46/46 MP: 10/19
  2369 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  2378 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  2421 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Cheibriados the Contemplative
  2874 | D:5      | Found an opulent altar of Gozag.
  2874 | D:5      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  3354 | D:6      | Reached * piety under Cheibriados
  3388 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
  3859 | D:6      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  3861 | D:6      | Found a sacrificial altar of Ru.
  4084 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 55/55 MP: 13/20
  4189 | D:7      | Reached ** piety under Cheibriados
  4797 | D:8      | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  4800 | D:8      | Killed a two-headed ogre
  4800 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Earth Magic
  4871 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  4878 | D:8      | Noticed Psyche
  4882 | D:8      | Killed Psyche
  4882 | D:8      | Reached *** piety under Cheibriados
  4882 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 30/66 MP: 0/21
  4883 | D:8      | Noticed Maurice
  4896 | D:8      | Paralysed by Maurice for 5 turns
  5194 | D:8      | Learned a level 5 spell: Lee's Rapid Deconstruction
  5232 | D:8      | Noticed Joseph
  5241 | D:8      | Killed Joseph
  5300 | D:8      | Identified the Almanac of the Traveller and the Volcanoes
  5337 | D:8      | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  5564 | D:8      | Killed a two-headed ogre
  5564 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
  5642 | D:8      | Paralysed by Maurice for 7 turns
  5654 | D:8      | Killed Maurice
  5654 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
  5800 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
  5959 | D:9      | Reached **** piety under Cheibriados
  6673 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
  6677 | D:10     | Reached ***** piety under Cheibriados
  6677 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 75/75 MP: 22/22
  6713 | D:10     | Noticed a two-headed ogre
  6714 | D:10     | Found Zaclonn's Distillery.
  6719 | D:10     | Killed a two-headed ogre
  6719 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  6723 | D:10     | Bought a potion of curing for 36 gold pieces
  6723 | D:10     | Bought a potion of agility for 48 gold pieces
  6766 | D:10     | Found a portal to a secret trove of treasure.
  6940 | D:10     | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  7246 | D:10     | Killed an unseen horror
  7862 | D:11     | Noticed a cyan ugly thing
  7867 | D:11     | Killed a cyan ugly thing
  7951 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
  7982 | D:11     | Found a flagged portal.
  7987 | Bailey   | Entered a bailey
  8377 | D:11     | Reached ****** piety under Cheibriados
  8421 | D:11     | Found Jevolir's Magic Scroll Shoppe.
  8429 | D:11     | Bought a scroll of enchant armour for 112 gold pieces
  8593 | D:11     | Noticed a manticore
  8861 | D:11     | Killed a manticore
  8885 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
  8963 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
  8965 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 84/84 MP: 23/23
  9148 | Lair:1   | Found the +3 warlock's mirror {reflect}
  9586 | Lair:2   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
  9592 | Lair:2   | Killed a five-headed hydra
  9876 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
  9940 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
 10184 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 10446 | Lair:3   | Noticed a six-headed hydra
 10454 | Lair:3   | Killed a six-headed hydra
 10481 | Lair:3   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 10486 | Lair:3   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 10486 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Invocations
 10495 | Lair:3   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 10502 | Lab      | Entered a labyrinth
 10639 | Lab      | Noticed a minotaur
 10650 | Lab      | Killed a minotaur
 10983 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 66/90 MP: 24/24
 11381 | Lair:3   | Noticed Sonja
 11388 | Lair:3   | Killed Sonja
 12193 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 10 in Invocations
 12307 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 12386 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 13203 | Lair:5   | Learned a level 4 spell: Petrify
 13207 | Lair:5   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 40/99 MP: 6/25
 13736 | Lair:5   | Found a viscous altar of Jiyva.
 13737 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 13761 | Lair:5   | Noticed Rupert
 13770 | Lair:5   | Killed Rupert
 14126 | Lair:6   | Entered Level 6 of the Lair of Beasts
 15059 | Lair:6   | Got a faintly glowing copper amulet
 15150 | Lair:6   | Identified the amulet of the Lizard {RegenMP rN+ Slay+2} (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
 16225 | Lair:6   | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 16226 | Lair:6   | Identified the Disquisition on Creative Combat Magic (You acquired it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
 16438 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 16477 | Orc:1    | Reached XP level 15. HP: 105/107 MP: 16/30
 16655 | Orc:1    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 16974 | Orc:2    | Entered Level 2 of the Orcish Mines
 16974 | Orc:2    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 18033 | Orc:2    | Found Rueteul's Jewellery Boutique.
 18036 | Orc:2    | Found Enearyc's Magic Scroll Boutique.
 18037 | Orc:2    | Found Houvosch's General Store.
 18038 | Orc:2    | Found Xixuol's Antique Weapon Shop.
 18041 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of enchant armour for 120 gold pieces
 18045 | Orc:2    | Bought a +4 ring of protection for 504 gold pieces
 18048 | Orc:2    | Bought a +6 amulet of reflection for 819 gold pieces
 18271 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Unarmed Combat
 18307 | D:12     | Reached skill level 2 in Unarmed Combat
 18340 | D:12     | Paralysed by a hornet for 2 turns
 18401 | D:12     | Reached skill level 3 in Unarmed Combat
 18847 | D:12     | Reached skill level 4 in Unarmed Combat
 19291 | D:13     | Reached skill level 5 in Unarmed Combat
 19519 | D:13     | Found Muvvaxkyege's Changing Room.
 19530 | D:13     | Bought a book of Transfigurations for 880 gold pieces
 19537 | D:13     | Learned a level 6 spell: Statue Form
 20130 | D:14     | Found a gate to the Vaults.
 20159 | D:14     | Reached skill level 6 in Unarmed Combat
 20186 | D:14     | Reached skill level 5 in Transmutations
 20410 | D:14     | Reached XP level 16. HP: 114/114 MP: 31/31
 20519 | D:14     | Found Hopemp's Gadget Shop.
 20730 | D:14     | Reached skill level 7 in Unarmed Combat
 20868 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 21111 | D:15     | Found an opulent altar of Gozag.
 21151 | D:15     | Reached skill level 8 in Unarmed Combat
 21309 | D:15     | Reached skill level 9 in Unarmed Combat
 21318 | D:15     | Found a staircase to the Depths.
 22133 | Swamp:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Swamp
 22169 | Swamp:1  | Reached skill level 10 in Unarmed Combat
 22870 | Swamp:2  | Found a frozen archway.
 22903 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 22953 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 11 in Unarmed Combat
 23144 | IceCv    | Noticed an Ice Fiend
 23153 | IceCv    | Noticed an Ice Fiend
 23156 | IceCv    | Killed an Ice Fiend
 23161 | IceCv    | Killed an Ice Fiend
 23190 | IceCv    | Got a jewelled demon whip
 23547 | Swamp:2  | Reached skill level 12 in Unarmed Combat
 23547 | Swamp:2  | Reached XP level 17. HP: 119/119 MP: 32/32
 23887 | Swamp:2  | Learned a level 5 spell: Irradiate
 24005 | Swamp:2  | Identified the +5 demon whip "Yshread" {freeze, rPois rF+ rC+ Dex+3} (You found it in an ice cave)
 24099 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 13 in Unarmed Combat
 24748 | Swamp:4  | Entered Level 4 of the Swamp
 24975 | Swamp:4  | Reached skill level 14 in Unarmed Combat
 25088 | Swamp:4  | Got a decaying rune of Zot
 25261 | Swamp:4  | Reached skill level 15 in Unarmed Combat
 25547 | Snake:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Snake Pit
 25778 | Snake:1  | Reached XP level 18. HP: 126/126 MP: 33/33
 25854 | Snake:1  | Reached skill level 16 in Unarmed Combat
 25979 | Snake:1  | Got a vibrating wooden ring
 25980 | Snake:1  | Identified the ring of Tyox {+Fly rF+ Dex+5 SInv Stlth+} (You acquired it on level 1 of the Snake Pit)
 26050 | Snake:1  | Found Voinucea's Jewellery Shop.
 26050 | Snake:1  | Found Momofiq's Gadget Shoppe.
 26051 | Snake:1  | Found Xuqiuryu's Gadget Shoppe.
 27012 | Snake:3  | Found Kacuvowu's Jewellery Shoppe.
 27294 | Snake:4  | Entered Level 4 of the Snake Pit
 27597 | Snake:4  | Reached skill level 17 in Unarmed Combat
 27597 | Snake:4  | Reached XP level 19. HP: 133/133 MP: 34/34
 27674 | Snake:4  | Reached skill level 15 in Earth Magic
 27774 | Snake:4  | Reached XP level 20. HP: 140/140 MP: 35/35
 27880 | Snake:4  | Got a serpentine rune of Zot
 28375 | Vaults:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Vaults
 28921 | Vaults:1 | Noticed Jorgrun
 28931 | Vaults:1 | Killed Jorgrun
 28931 | Vaults:1 | Reached skill level 10 in Transmutations
 29571 | Vaults:2 | Found Vizeapho's Antique Armour Boutique.
 30066 | Vaults:2 | Reached XP level 21. HP: 147/147 MP: 36/36
 30085 | Vaults:2 | Reached skill level 18 in Unarmed Combat
 30132 | Vaults:2 | Reached skill level 15 in Dodging
 31748 | Vaults:3 | Noticed a bone dragon
 31756 | Vaults:3 | Killed a bone dragon
 31780 | Vaults:3 | Reached skill level 15 in Fighting
 31785 | Vaults:3 | Found a staircase to the Crypt.
 32256 | Vaults:4 | Reached XP level 22. HP: 157/157 MP: 34/37
 32359 | Vaults:4 | Reached skill level 19 in Unarmed Combat
 32390 | Vaults:4 | Noticed Frederick
 32403 | Vaults:4 | Killed Frederick
 33451 | Depths:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Depths
 33885 | Depths:1 | Reached XP level 23. HP: 131/165 MP: 38/38
 33980 | Depths:1 | Found a gateway to Hell.
 34069 | Depths:1 | Identified Fexooghu's Papyrus of the Ditch-Digger
 34082 | Depths:1 | Reached skill level 20 in Unarmed Combat
 34137 | Depths:1 | Identified A Thorough Guide to Spellweaving
 34601 | Vaults:2 | Bought a pair of glowing gloves for 240 gold pieces
 34831 | Snake:1  | Bought the ring "Puqan" {rPois AC+6} for 1427 gold pieces
 35008 | Depths:2 | Found a one-way gate leading to the halls of Pandemonium.
 35092 | Depths:2 | Noticed Sojobo
 35123 | Depths:2 | Killed Sojobo
 35424 | Depths:2 | Noticed Bai Suzhen
 35430 | Depths:2 | Killed Bai Suzhen
 36210 | Depths:3 | Got a transparent tin ring
 36214 | Depths:3 | Reached XP level 24. HP: 175/175 MP: 38/38
 36215 | Depths:3 | Identified the ring of the Priest {Int+4 Dex+2} (You found it on level 3 of the Depths)
 36377 | Depths:3 | Reached XP level 25. HP: 180/180 MP: 38/38
 36414 | Depths:3 | Noticed an ancient lich
 36422 | Depths:3 | Paralysed by an ancient lich for 6 turns
 36431 | Depths:3 | Killed an ancient lich
 36856 | Depths:3 | Paralysed by a floating eye for 4 turns
 37142 | Depths:4 | Reached skill level 21 in Unarmed Combat
 37654 | Depths:4 | Found a gateway to a ziggurat.
 37658 | Depths:4 | Found a one-way gate to the infinite horrors of the Abyss.
 37731 | Depths:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Depths
 38214 | Depths:5 | Found a gate to the Realm of Zot.
 38669 | Depths:5 | Learned a level 8 spell: Controlled Blink
 39023 | Crypt:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Crypt
 39114 | Crypt:1  | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
 39198 | Crypt:1  | Reached XP level 26. HP: 189/189 MP: 35/38
 39220 | Crypt:1  | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
 39379 | Crypt:1  | Reached skill level 22 in Unarmed Combat
 39477 | Crypt:1  | Reached skill level 5 in Translocations
 40728 | Crypt:3  | Entered Level 3 of the Crypt
 40907 | Crypt:3  | Noticed an ancient lich
 40918 | Crypt:3  | Killed an ancient lich
 40923 | Crypt:3  | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
 40977 | Crypt:3  | Got a coiled iron ring
 40977 | Crypt:3  | Got a crude tin ring
 40978 | Crypt:3  | Identified the ring "Torhimip" {rN+ MR+} (You found it on level 3 of the Crypt)
 40979 | Crypt:3  | Identified the ring "Yfahothu" {rF++ rC++ rN+ Str-3} (You found it on level 3 of the Crypt)
 41021 | Crypt:3  | Reached skill level 10 in Translocations
 41038 | Crypt:3  | Identified Spellcraft Continued (You acquired it on level 3 of the Crypt)
 41210 | Crypt:3  | Found a staircase to the Tomb.
 42287 | Elf:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Elven Halls
 42362 | Elf:1    | Found a magical portal.
 42409 | WizLab   | Entered Wucad Mu's Monastery
 42684 | WizLab   | Found the +9 staff of Wucad Mu {channel}
 43048 | Elf:1    | Noticed Agnes
 43053 | Elf:1    | Killed Agnes
 44012 | Elf:2    | Found Teozxyth's Jewellery Emporium.
 44128 | Elf:2    | Reached XP level 27. HP: 195/195 MP: 33/38
 44143 | Elf:2    | Found a runed gate.
 44143 | Elf:2    | Found a runed gate.
 44145 | Elf:2    | Found a runed gate.
 44905 | Elf:3    | Entered Level 3 of the Elven Halls
 44928 | Elf:3    | Noticed Nikola
 44942 | Elf:3    | Killed Nikola
 44956 | Elf:3    | Found Ocrabb's Food Shop.
 45040 | Elf:3    | Reached skill level 15 in Translocations
 45232 | Elf:3    | Noticed Aizul
 45253 | Elf:3    | Killed Aizul
 45302 | Elf:3    | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 45568 | Elf:3    | Found the ring of the Mage {Wiz MR++ Int+3}
 45569 | Elf:3    | Found the +15 Maxwell's patent armour {-Cast -Tele rElec MR+ rCorr}
 45615 | Elf:3    | Identified the Disquisition on the Ensnaring Traveller
 45618 | Elf:3    | Got a twisted buckler
 45631 | Elf:3    | Identified the Disquisition on the Toxic Voyage
 45658 | Elf:3    | Learned a level 3 spell: Lesser Beckoning
 45660 | Elf:3    | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
 46231 | Vaults:4 | Identified the cursed +0 buckler "Taunar" {rF++ MP+9} (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 46236 | Vaults:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Vaults
 46517 | Vaults:5 | Got a silver rune of Zot
 46521 | Vaults:5 | Got a shimmering turquoise ring
 46533 | Vaults:5 | Found the +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
 46572 | Vaults:5 | Got an ichor-stained buckler
 46573 | Vaults:5 | Identified the +1 buckler of Zin's Reproof {Str+4} (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)
 46577 | Vaults:5 | Identified the ring "Soifas" {rF+ rN+ MR+++ Int+3 Dex-5} (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)
 46660 | Vaults:5 | Noticed an ancient lich
 46665 | Vaults:5 | Killed an ancient lich
 46745 | Vaults:5 | Got a scorched steel ring
 46821 | Vaults:5 | Identified the ring "Cotaitz" {rElec AC+2} (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)
 47006 | Vaults:5 | Noticed Xtahua
 47015 | Vaults:5 | Killed Xtahua
 47255 | Vaults:5 | Got a vibrating bone ring
 47260 | Vaults:5 | Identified the ring "Qifauh" {*Tele rPois rC+ MR-} (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)
 47848 | Zot:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Realm of Zot
 47979 | Zot:1    | Noticed an orb of fire
 47982 | Zot:1    | Gained mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [an orb of fire]
 47992 | Zot:1    | Killed an orb of fire
 48679 | Zot:2    | Reached skill level 23 in Unarmed Combat
 48801 | Zot:2    | Got a pair of spiked gloves
 48840 | Zot:2    | Identified the +1 pair of gloves of Shielding {rC- Int+8} (You found it on level 2 of the Realm of Zot)
 49152 | Zot:3    | Found the +2 Maxwell's thermic engine {flame, freeze, rF- rC-}
 49438 | Zot:3    | Reached skill level 24 in Unarmed Combat
 50267 | Zot:3    | Noticed an orb of fire
 50275 | Zot:3    | Gained mutation: You are clumsy. (Dex -2) [an orb of fire]
 50276 | Zot:3    | Killed an orb of fire
 50549 | Zot:4    | Noticed an orb of fire
 50558 | Zot:4    | Killed an orb of fire
 50574 | Zot:4    | Noticed an orb of fire
 50576 | Zot:4    | Gained mutation: Scrolls take you a little longer to read. [an orb of fire]
 50582 | Zot:4    | Killed an orb of fire
 50583 | Zot:4    | Lost mutation: Scrolls take you a little longer to read. [potion of mutation]
 50583 | Zot:4    | Lost mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [potion of mutation]
 50583 | Zot:4    | Gained mutation: You expend magic power (3 MP) to strengthen your wands. [potion of mutation]
 50583 | Zot:4    | Gained mutation: Scrolls take you a little longer to read. [potion of mutation]
 50583 | Zot:4    | Lost mutation: You are clumsy. (Dex -2) [potion of mutation]
 50583 | Zot:4    | Gained mutation: You have an increased reservoir of magic. (+10% MP) [potion of mutation]
 50673 | Zot:4    | Reached skill level 25 in Unarmed Combat
 51235 | Zot:5    | Entered Level 5 of the Realm of Zot
 51288 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 51294 | Zot:4    | Killed an ancient lich
 51308 | Zot:4    | Gained mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [mutagenic glow]
 51650 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 51656 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 51758 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 51767 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 52012 | Zot:5    | Reached skill level 26 in Unarmed Combat
 52025 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52032 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 52126 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 52127 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52129 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [an orb of fire]
 52130 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 52132 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 52135 | Zot:5    | Lost mutation: You are frail. (-10% HP) [potion of mutation]
 52135 | Zot:5    | Lost mutation: You expend magic power (3 MP) to strengthen your wands. [potion of mutation]
 52135 | Zot:5    | Lost mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [potion of mutation]
 52146 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52154 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 52205 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52217 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 52223 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 52224 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52230 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 52244 | Zot:5    | Got the Orb of Zot
 52290 | Zot:5    | Noticed Ofoeg the pandemonium lord
 52302 | Zot:5    | Killed Ofoeg the pandemonium lord
 52409 | Zot:1    | Noticed Usat Jed the pandemonium lord
 52419 | Zot:1    | Killed Usat Jed the pandemonium lord
 52842 | D:$      | Escaped with the Orb!

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 |
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----
Earth Magic    |  4     5     6     7  8 10 11       12 13 14          15 16                      | 16.0
Spellcasting   |     3        4  5  6                    9                                     14 | 14.0
Conjurations   |        2     3  4  5  7  9 10                                                    | 10.0
Fighting       |                       2  5  7  8  9 10 11    12       13    15 16 17    18    20 | 20.8
Dodging        |                             4  7  9 10 12          13    14 16 17 18 19       22 | 22.8
Shields        |                             2  5                                                 |  5.6
Invocations    |                                   7 10                            11    14       | 14.0
Unarmed Combat |                                            6 12 15 17       18 19 20    21 22 26 | 26.9
Transmutations |                                            5  7     8    10                      | 10.0
Translocations |                                                                          2 13 19 | 19.0
Stealth        |                                                                                  |  1.2

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Unarmed           |       |       |     1 |       |   110 |  1052 |   927 |   860 |  2777 ||  5727
 Cast: Sandblast         |    35 |    32 |    15 |    38 |    78 |       |       |       |       ||   198
       Stone Arrow       |       |    30 |   144 |   462 |   891 |    10 |       |       |     2 ||  1539
       Lee's Rapid Decon |       |       |       |    12 |    29 |       |       |       |    11 ||    52
       Petrify           |       |       |       |       |     9 |     1 |       |       |       ||    10
       Statue Form       |       |       |       |       |     6 |    82 |    49 |    43 |   174 ||   354
       Irradiate         |       |       |       |       |       |     5 |     2 |       |     1 ||     8
       Controlled Blink  |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Invok: Slouch            |       |       |       |       |     9 |     5 |     1 |     3 |    20 ||    38
       Temporal Distorti |       |       |       |       |     2 |       |       |       |       ||     2
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
  Use: Scroll            |       |       |       |    21 |     9 |    14 |     4 |     4 |    16 ||    68
       Potion            |       |       |       |     1 |       |     5 |       |     1 |     7 ||    14
 Stab: Distracted        |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 |     1 |       |     5 ||     9
       Sleeping          |       |       |       |       |       |     5 |     4 |       |     4 ||    13
  Eat: Chunk             |       |     1 |     8 |     9 |    15 |    14 |    12 |     7 |    26 ||    92
       Ration            |       |       |       |     1 |     1 |     1 |       |     1 |     5 ||     9
Armor: Skin              |     3 |     2 |     2 |    26 |    80 |   265 |   135 |   188 |   728 ||  1429
Dodge: Dodged            |     6 |     8 |    19 |   171 |   569 |  1363 |   891 |  1277 |  4303 ||  8607
Block: Other             |     2 |     5 |     2 |     2 |       |       |       |       |       ||    11
       Buckler           |       |       |     9 |   154 |   757 |  1547 |  1358 |  1258 |  3241 ||  8324
       Reflection        |       |       |       |     5 |    42 |   105 |    82 |    19 |       ||   253

After what I swear was 2 or 3 failures (yet somehow there's only one death on my highscores list?) I finally got a FD to find statue form at an appropriate point in the game, and switched over to melee. Having 0 unarmed aptitude and easy statue form casting makes the switch pretty painless, and you even get to keep the +6 SH! I'm fairly sure you lose the innate +6 AC, although I had rediculously strong rings (+6 ac +8 ev) and a staff of earth, so my defenses were quite a bit higher than usual. Also the +10% flying evasion bonus. I also fell once more into my old veteran trap and started training for controlled blink late in a 3 rune game to finally remember that you can't use it in zot anyways. I apparently found some place to cast it once somewhere, not sure where.

I did actually have trouble finding higher damage spells than LRD/Stone arrow for a long time, or I would have learned some. I imagine I probably found some later on (I don't recall) but beyond the point I'd bother with them when I had already fully switched into statue form melee.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 01:47

tasonir wrote:Well it's too late! I already went and won mine locally. (I might play another)

After what I swear was 2 or 3 failures (yet somehow there's only one death on my highscores list?) I finally got a FD to find statue form at an appropriate point in the game, and switched over to melee. Having 0 unarmed aptitude and easy statue form casting makes the switch pretty painless, and you even get to keep the +6 SH! I'm fairly sure you lose the innate +6 AC, although I had rediculously strong rings (+6 ac +8 ev) and a staff of earth, so my defenses were quite a bit higher than usual. Also the +10% flying evasion bonus. I also fell once more into my old veteran trap and started training for controlled blink late in a 3 rune game to finally remember that you can't use it in zot anyways. I apparently found some place to cast it once somewhere, not sure where.

I did actually have trouble finding higher damage spells than LRD/Stone arrow for a long time, or I would have learned some. I imagine I probably found some later on (I don't recall) but beyond the point I'd bother with them when I had already fully switched into statue form melee.

Cool! Thanks for playing it. I like that it's plenty possible for an enterprising player to do something off the beaten path like Statue Form/Dragon Form (the tiles are sweet!), but I do think it's a bit too good. If this species ever gets reconsidered for testing in trunk, I intend to drop the UC apt to -1 and remove the flying EV bonus. Would that ruin it? (Hopefully not!)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 01:50

That wouldn't ruin it at all, no. Do you mean losing the +10% EV for all FD, or just for transmuted ones? It's a nerf of course, but it just brings them closer to the species baseline; they wouldn't be below average.

-1 unarmed is a perfectly workable UC aptitude; I wouldn't call it good, but I've done it a few times. -2 is when it starts to really hurt, although I suppose all things are possible :)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 17th January 2019, 04:22

Created account to say thank you for this! (as well as read all of the other forum posts)
I've been using this species to help with the initial learning curve of casters and it has been a lot of fun so far! Been playing crawl for a few months and have a won twice with melee, but pretty green when it comes to the spell casting side of crawl yet. This has been a big help so far to get a feel on how spells work and the tactics to go along with them. Was pretty pumped to find it playable on CKO!
(sorry if considered necro'ing the thread - wanted to put in a good word from a newbie still learning)

For this message the author mudtoeberg has received thanks: 3
byrel, Realz, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 18th January 2019, 07:29

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26017

I've just posted a YAVP for a 5-rune FD of TSO, above. (Our minor variant "Stoat Soup" is not, I think, significantly different from vanilla Crawl in terms of how FD plays, so I hope this will be of some use to you.) This is the most recent FD from github, save that I have reverted the change that gave them a -5 Stealth apt, back to -3 Stealth and an inherent pip of -Stealth. Vanilla doesn't much like inherent Stealth, but I don't mind it, and to me part of the FD downsides might as well be that their sparkly wings are so sparkly that they can't just pick up a single item with +Stealth and get some benefit.

I feel you have succeeded in your aim. The way you're never utterly dry on mana is interesting; however, I can see it leading to a newbie trap where someone doesn't train a weapon at all, and I'm not sure what to do about that. It can also be kind of cheesed by popping up a battlesphere then using 0MP spells to make it fire, but I think that's not so much a bug to be fixed as an interesting consequence. The apts are clearly focussed on magic, but not as intensely so as (say) DE, which may be why it took me 41 DEs to win and only 4 FDs, even given that none of them started casting spells on D:1 - picking up a bit of Fighting and Dodging and a suitable weapon skill isn't too painful. (The Shields apt combined with being small is pretty horrible, but they can't be good at everything, right?)

On reflection I might revise that a bit. The apts are really pretty good. Even DE might get +3 Spellcasting, but doesn't have that raft of +2s in solid damage schools; the only species that does better is Te with +3 Conj/Air, and they don't get anything else. Gr is similar with +1 Conj / +2 Earth, or froggo with +2 Summoning. I'm not saying it needs to be toned down - there is no reason not to have "a minotaur of magic", and +2 apts aren't even that unusual for heavy-armour monster-whackers - but if the species is felt to be too good, that might be where to start. In particular a worse Spellcasting apt and hence fewer MP would increase the contrast between free level 1 spells to having to watch MP later; whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know.

I have never worried about spell hunger, and I've never regretted not worrying about spell hunger, so I don't have any comment on that aspect of the species except inasmuch as I hope that (if accepted into trunk) it doesn't lead to more people thinking spell hunger matters.

ETA: Is it by design that magic attunement is suppressed when transformed? I can see why SHIMMERING_SCALES and FD flight are, but I was wondering if it was intentional for magic attunement.

ETA again, since Realz seems to be back around - one gripe I do have is the awkward interaction between free level 1 casting and Sif's Divine Energy. (I appreciate you also have a Sif rework). If you're a FD, all of a sudden Divine Energy becomes something you have to think carefully about, lest you lock yourself out of free casts. (This is pure theory; I've never been an FD of Sif.)
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th May 2019, 00:21

https://github.com/damerell/crawl/commi ... fbaf917fa0 may be of interest to forks with FD. This just adds them to the vaults which use player species, such as the entry vault with 26 "jails" with trapped player monsters.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion