Abyssal Knights (was: Merchant, a Gozag zealot background)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 04:45

Abyssal Knights (was: Merchant, a Gozag zealot background)

Tumalu wrote:Zealot is because it's the only realistic way to have Lucy within the first half or more of the game.

Besides, you know, generating Lugonu altars in D and Temple.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 12:22

Re: Merchant, a Gozag zealot background

Sure, and you can just plan on finding a Jiyva altar before Lair, too!

For this message the author Tumalu has received thanks:
Midn8

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 02:26

Okay, so I can understand (and don't feel like analyzing) all the arguments about why Jiyva shouldn't be allowed in the early game.

But what on earth is up with Lugonu? The fact that you can start with her from turn one indicates that she's not ill-suited to the early game, so why is it that you only rarely get her altars in Temple? In the days of abundant zealots this (sort of) made thematic sense. But now, zealots need a lot more justification than flavor, and I don't see how an Abyssal Knight is significantly different from a Fighter or Gladiator who finds an early altar.

Basically, is there any gameplay reason for Abyssal Knights to still exist? It makes a lot more sense to get rid of them and just make Lugonu an ecumenical god. The occasional corrupted Temple could stay, I suppose.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 03:44

Because starting in the abyss is cool

this forum undervalues coolness factor

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 10
genericpseudonym, hermbot, ichbins, Lord Haart, monkeytor, Realz, runewalsh, sdynet, Stairdancer, Terrapin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 05:49

Shard1697 wrote:Because starting in the abyss is cool

this forum undervalues coolness factor
Really? Isn't it cool to be a wizard or scald of Lugonu? Because this is what we miss by not having Lugonu in typical Temple.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 08:41

There's no reason you can't keep Abyssal Knights and make Lugonu a Temple god.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Airwolf

Barkeep

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 14:33

Re: Abyssal Knights (was: Merchant, a Gozag zealot backgroun

For what it's worth: I'd ditch AK as a start and instead of altars, I'd have altar-depth portals to Abyss — these portals would take you to an Abyss following current AK Abyss rules and with an altar within LOS. On joining Lugonu, you'd get one free use of "Depart the Abyss" or enough piety to do so.

Entering Abyss is, I think, cooler than starting in it.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 4
cjo, genericpseudonym, RoGGa, Terrapin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 14:40

Standard "You will not be able to return immediately. Are you sure you want to enter portal?" prompt would look dangerous to unspoiled players. Probably we might have Lugonu instantly teleport PC to Abyss after joining. "I will show you Abyss" or something. Sometimes that might be used to avoid a dangerous monster like currently you can use Beogh.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 14:47

Perhaps we could have a special altar-specific portal through which the player can sense the presence of an altar or gets some other hint. A portal taking a player near an altar would already be different than regular abyss portals.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 17:53

Yeah, you'd want some kind of hint that it's not a normal Abyss portal.

Code:
A portal to the Abyss, containing an altar to Lugonu

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 5th May 2018, 01:20

Jiyva is a weird one because they're like a living fossil of horrible design that continues to exist because almost no-one ever picks them and therefore no-one cares. I'd support moving Jiyva to the temple just to raise awareness of how badly they need a rework.

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks: 4
arandomperson12, ololoev, Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 5th May 2018, 01:28

Lugonu, and, generally, non-temple gods, could simply always generate their altars out of the Temple, and in vaults that don't comprise other altars, maybe with some scenery or appropriate monsters, but in the same dungeon floor range as normal generation of altars outside the temple. Et voilà, the flavour is saved.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
PseudoLoneWolf

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 5th May 2018, 01:46

ion_frigate wrote:Okay, so I can understand (and don't feel like analyzing) all the arguments about why Jiyva shouldn't be allowed in the early game.

But what on earth is up with Lugonu? The fact that you can start with her from turn one indicates that she's not ill-suited to the early game, so why is it that you only rarely get her altars in Temple? In the days of abundant zealots this (sort of) made thematic sense. But now, zealots need a lot more justification than flavor, and I don't see how an Abyssal Knight is significantly different from a Fighter or Gladiator who finds an early altar.

Basically, is there any gameplay reason for Abyssal Knights to still exist? It makes a lot more sense to get rid of them and just make Lugonu an ecumenical god. The occasional corrupted Temple could stay, I suppose.
I don't think this argument holds. Wizards are similar to any other character that randomly finds a Book of Minor Magic on the floor - that doesn't mean they don't have a unique gameplay niche. Lugonu can be seen as the AK's starting kit, and choosing whether to use another background's starting kit when you find it can be an interesting decision (particularly one with such a high opportunity cost as a god). I think it would actually be a negative to remove one of the only sources of variance when it comes to temple gods, and to make that choice even more static.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th May 2018, 08:25

Shtopit wrote:Lugonu, and, generally, non-temple gods, could simply always generate their altars out of the Temple, and in vaults that don't comprise other altars, maybe with some scenery or appropriate monsters, but in the same dungeon floor range as normal generation of altars outside the temple. Et voilà, the flavour is saved.

I agree. Also imo the Temple should contain fewer altars, and the guaranteed altar zone should be extended to D:15. This way choosing a god would be more of a decision but yet if you absolutely want a certain god you can get it, if you're willing to wait.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 5th May 2018, 18:37

1) remove Abyssal Knights
2) guarantee an Abyss entrance between D2 and D11
3) the first time a player enters the Abyss (by any means) put them in a Lugonu altar vault

For this message the author bhauth has received thanks: 3
Cornercat, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 14th May 2018, 09:24

Sprucery wrote:I agree. Also imo the Temple should contain fewer altars, and the guaranteed altar zone should be extended to D:15. This way choosing a god would be more of a decision but yet if you absolutely want a certain god you can get it, if you're willing to wait.

I suggest to remove Temle at all and spread guaranteed altar zone to say 4-15. You will think a lot whether you should pick Sif at d:5 or wait for Vehu until d:13.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th May 2018, 13:24

This is getting OT, but I think Temple is good, if for no other reason than providing a milestone to new players.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th May 2018, 15:14

njvack wrote:This is getting OT, but I think Temple is good, if for no other reason than providing a milestone to new players.
Temple might contain less gods, 3-4.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 20th July 2018, 13:55

1. I like the idea of a portal to the Abyss and landing in a mini-vault with the Lugonu altar, and an exit portal close by (as is currently the case). That way, the player if forced to explore the Abyss a tad by doing a spiral around the mini-vault.
2. As for the temple, I think it should generate no more than half of the altars.
3. The new ghost vaults could also contain an altar of the God the ghost served at time of death.

Return to Game Design Discussion