Lehudib's Crystal Rapier

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 20th April 2018, 17:13

Lehudib's Crystal Rapier

I always wanted to have an intelligence scale in Stone Soup. Here is my realisation of that:

+4 Lehudib's Crystal Rapier.

Vorpal brand
+5 INT
MR-
Inflicts additional damage based on your intelligence.

And how it actually works:
  Code:
static void _CRYSTAL_RAPIER_melee_effects(item_def* weapon, actor* attacker,
                                     actor* defender, bool mondied, int dam)
{
    if (!one_chance_in(3) && !mondied && dam)
    {
        if (attacker->is_player())
        {
            defender->hurt(attacker, random2avg((you.intel() / 2), 1));
        }
        else
        {
            if (mons_intel(*attacker) == I_HUMAN)
            {
                defender->hurt(attacker, random2avg(10, 1);
            }
        }
    }
}

For this message the author Mesonyx has received thanks:
PseudoLoneWolf

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 20th April 2018, 17:43

Re: Lehudib's Crystal Rapier

Nice concept, I'd like it, if it were to be introduced.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 20th April 2018, 20:33

It is very cool but I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to be introducing. It seems very similar to the pain brand but affecting demons, but at that point in the game you probably don't want MR- and a staff would probably serve you better. As far as stabbing goes, I'm pretty sure the extra damage from the brand does not scale with stabbing anyway (but stabbing is so complicated and I am not familiar enough that I could be totally wrong).
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 20th April 2018, 22:33

Midn8,
1. It‘s simply a good option for low STR charachers, e.g. Sp, DE. Or hybrids, who don‘t want invest in Str.
2. Pain-brand is evil and works only with natural monsters. That‘s an alternative.
3. MR- prevents from being nobrainer in late game.
4. Everybody loves Dark Souls.

It also had to be an other option for Chei, but I didn‘t know, that streangh weight disappeared from the game. Chei + Short Blades wasn’t the best choice earlier, so I wanted to introduce something for Sp/Ko of Chei.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 21st April 2018, 00:19

i think most characters with an int stat high enough to make this item useful have better ways to kill things

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st April 2018, 00:39

CanOfWorms wrote:i think most characters with an int stat high enough to make this item useful have better ways to kill things

Personally, my Int-using characters always are looking for a 0 MP way to kill nonthreatening things, this would be one that was cheap (XP wise) and reasonably effective (more cheaply than an enhancer staff, and equal or better than to a one-handed weapon for slightly less XP)

I wouldn't be like, "Oh this is the most amazing thing I could have found ever" but I would probably use it (It would also be pretty convenient if I my spells let me more easily stab things, as I wouldn't have to switch weapons as frequently)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 21st April 2018, 03:45

Hm. Only now I've noticed that this weapon could be a way for too intelligent players to play with Trog.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 21st April 2018, 20:55

As far as I can tell, the sole justification you have given for this weapon that you want an intelligence scaling weapon like dark souls do.

For this message the author Plantissue has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st April 2018, 22:37

Plantissue wrote:As far as I can tell, the sole justification you have given for this weapon that you want an intelligence scaling weapon like dark souls do.

To be fair, I think most unrands have the sole justification that "somebody thought this would be cool"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Game Design Discussion