Demigod Reform

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 5th April 2018, 05:31

Demigod Reform

Problem: Demigods are mechanically interesting but unpopular, like humans. They are "unsexy."

Solution: give Demigods three level-1 mutations, randomly selected from a list, one each at levels 4, 12, and 20.

Rationale: the enduring popularity of Demonspawn and Draconian shows that players like semi-random mutations. The mutations would be a minor buff to Demigods but not unbalancingly so. I imagine the level 4 mutation could be a special boon for the early game. From a player-experience perspective, the mutations give the player "something to look forward to" which compensates the relative flatness of no-god. This also makes the description of Demonspawn in the manual as "the flip side of the Demigods" more consistent with the game. I think the end result of these changes would make Demigods feel more "godly" to play, which I imagine is one of the goals of the species.

Mutations: these should have a generic "divine" feel; the inverse of Demonspawn mutations. These are ones I've thought of, but there should probably be more for the sake of variety:
Sinv
Regen+
RegenMP+
ER-
HP+10%
rPois
MR+
Blink

A related suggestion that I'll just throw in here is to have the amulet of faith give a random one of these mutations, so that "you feel a surge of self-confidence" has meaning.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th April 2018, 07:53

Re: Demigod Reform

Are Ds and Dr really popular, or do people just start playing carelessly or quit if they get mutations they don't want, resulting in more games total? I'm enjoy playing these species more if I could choose the mutations at the start.

For this message the author mrob has received thanks:
Nekoatl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th April 2018, 08:47

The closest thing we have to a popularity measure is online playtime. Which is not a very good measure, but, well, it's the best we have.
  Code:
-> *sequell* !lg * recent s=crace x=sum(dur) o=sum(dur)
*Sequell* 1368767 games for * (recent): 124022x Minotaur [7y+300d+0:22:48], 85438x Gargoyle [5y+196d+0:24:23], 191064x Demonspawn [5y+122d+23:19:11], 79218x Deep Elf [3y+296d+4:15:17], 70941x Gnoll
+[3y+106d+10:36:45], 85801x Draconian [3y+95d+2:05:06], 63245x Hill Orc [3y+74d+4:41:24], 88752x Octopode [2y+187d+15:44:33], 53338x Formicid [2y+159d+18:26:33], 41577x Troll [2y+47d+14:16:10], 45191x Spriggan
*Sequell* [2y+36d+22:06:20], 39808x Merfolk [1y+302d+12:58:42], 44403x Vine Stalker [1y+240d+5:28:55], 33968x Human [1y+159d+8:00:14], 36459x Mummy [1y+138d+3:25:33], 20896x Deep Dwarf [1y+136d+13:20:33],
+29979x Tengu [1y+97d+7:06:13], 21614x Centaur [1y+96d+20:54:48], 29520x Ogre [1y+70d+22:00:34], 23055x Barachi [1y+67d+1:25:00], 30509x Naga [1y+59d+6:06:54], 25488x Vampire [1y+39d+9:49:11], 18990x
*Sequell* Demigod [364d+19:22:15], 24479x Felid [358d+7:51:09], 20803x Kobold [330d+20:27:47], 18550x Halfling [319d+7:51:39], 21643x Ghoul [265d+10:33:18], 16x High Elf [3:35:32]
Minotaur and Gargoyle have the most playtime but Ds and Dr are pretty high. Excluding quits/leaves, restricting to high XLs, etc. doesn't change these stats much, despite Dr quitting at XL7 quite a lot.
Keep in mind that this measure of popularity favours players who play slowly, and some species and builds are faster to play than others - nobody picks mummies or conjurers for realtime speedruns.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 5th April 2018, 09:31

The one thing I don't get about Dg is the rationale for giving +10% MP and -2 to spellcasting. Yes, I know that their spellcasting was lowered when the hidden, higher XP cost for the spellcasting skill was removed. But I don't understand giving more MP but also giving less MP, both through slower levelling and through lower spellcasting skill.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 5th April 2018, 10:00

monkeytor wrote:
Rationale: the enduring popularity of Demonspawn and Draconian shows that players like semi-random mutations.

I don't think that should lead to other classes do more of the same.

How about giving them some kind of holy auras the higher they level. There could be one aura for each god in the game which wil be randomly choosen (Maybe at xl 4+, so that players could adopt) and it would give a nice flavour of showing who is one of the parents of your demigod.
If all the world were apple pie,
And all the sea were ink,
And all the trees were bread and cheese,
I'd still play Dungeon Crawl.

For this message the author Nordlicht has received thanks:
Bleyddyn

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 17:24

My demigods all die of boredom. They need *something*.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 19:58

mattlistener wrote:My demigods all die of boredom. They need *something*.

That just means you haven't gotten sick of gimmicky races, play enough games with races with weird gimmicks and demigods seem like a breath of fresh air.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 21:04

Their main gimmick of demigod is essentially a lack of the major source of excitement in the game:gods. It is the sole reason for the existance of their species and so I don't think they should have a mutation/divine system associated with them on the basis of their name. It also doesn't seem to fit any real archetype, their most important characteristic being their +2MP, making them seem boring. Just give them SInv would be enough to make them appear characterful I think.

By the way humans do not seem to be suffering from a popularity problem by online playtime.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 21:52

Not having gods or any complex gimmicks is exactly what makes demigods good(from a game design perspective, not a "playing to win" perspective). They make you adapt more to the items you find than any other species.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Nino

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 14:47

mrob wrote:Are Ds and Dr really popular, or do people just start playing carelessly or quit if they get mutations they don't want, resulting in more games total? I'm enjoy playing these species more if I could choose the mutations at the start.

My opinions on popularity are based on what I've heard about active playtime, but also just a general sense from playing the Tavern. There is also my own bias: after playing a lot of Ds, I find myself disappointed when I level up with other species as there's less to look forward to.

Nordlicht wrote:How about giving them some kind of holy auras the higher they level. There could be one aura for each god in the game which wil be randomly choosen (Maybe at xl 4+, so that players could adopt) and it would give a nice flavour of showing who is one of the parents of your demigod.

This is good flavour but I don't think it would be good for gameplay. There would definitely be better and worse auras, which I think would encourage dropping a character if you got a god you didn't like. What I like about these mutations is they're neutral, and also non-hierarchical; you don't know from your first mutation what your second or third will be.

Plantissue wrote:Just give them SInv would be enough to make them appear characterful I think.

This is one of the possible mutations!

Shard1697 wrote:Not having gods or any complex gimmicks is exactly what makes demigods good(from a game design perspective, not a "playing to win" perspective). They make you adapt more to the items you find than any other species.

I don't think this proposal changes that. Remember, my goal is to make Demigods more fun without altering the base mechanics. You still have to adapt to what you find, and none of these mutations would change your playstyle or build. They are just helpful and add variety.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 20:56

Demigods don't need more variety. It's ok for some species to be less popular than others, in fact, it's basically inevitable. Different species have different appeals and some of those appeals being more niche is not a bad thing.

I like demigod because they impose a challenge in a pretty straightforward way. I don't want them to get more complicated, and I especially don't want them to have RNG form/mutation mechanics like demonspawn/draconian. Not every species should be a roulette wheel.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 21:09

I suggested Sinv as a flavour, as people seem to be fixated on their flavour, and this would be a relatively minor, but feels powerful flavourwise that would solve that issue. You are right, they are "unsexy", in that they appear to be unpopular for whatever reason. The idea is of a relatively bland mut that will take away that idea space.

I see no need for RNG. If you want more RNG, you can play Xom or Demonspawn or both together, forever. Demigods do not need godtastic powers, they do not need demonspawn powers and they certainly don't need other "my personal conception of demigod" powers. It can be disappointing that a demigod is in fact not godly at all, but more demi than god, but I quite like that purity. perhaps it's apts or stats can be played around a little, but it loses that gameplay purity when you add tacky god haloes and followers and mutant/divine powers into the mix. There's already enough wierd and wonderful species in crawl. Demigods don't need to be significantly wierder and wonderful on the basis of your view that they are unsexy. Honestly, there comes a point where I just wish their description changed or they were called demi-humans or demi-mortal or demi-immortal or even just demi, just to remove people's conception of what they think a demigod should look like.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 21:32

Maybe we should just rename them to Übermensch.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
hannobal

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 23:09

I think people are forgetting what a demigod actually is. Zeus is a god. Tyrael is an archangel. Heracles was a demigod, and while he was the son of a god, he was mostly just a regular dude, but turned up to 12. He didn't have godly haloes or the power to smite people, he was just The Buffest Dude Ever (TM). Demigods in Crawl seem to follow that lead, where they are not godly in themselves, they're just like humans, but better - but they can't follow a god, since we need some kind of tradeoff in order to not make humans entirely irrelevant.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 06:40

PseudoLoneWolf wrote:I think people are forgetting what a demigod actually is. Zeus is a god. Tyrael is an archangel. Heracles was a demigod, and while he was the son of a god, he was mostly just a regular dude, but turned up to 12. He didn't have godly haloes or the power to smite people, he was just The Buffest Dude Ever (TM). Demigods in Crawl seem to follow that lead, where they are not godly in themselves, they're just like humans, but better - but they can't follow a god, since we need some kind of tradeoff in order to not make humans entirely irrelevant.

I don't think Greek/Roman mythology is a good reference here, since the gods often take special care of the mortals they beget and seek vengeance against other mortals who harm their children. Hercules gets a lot of help, as does Achilles. Ignoring that aspect, though, if Demigods are supposed to be mundane superhumans, then why are their aptitudes worse? Hercules should be at least as good as a normal human at learning combat, or magic or anything. A superhuman of this type should have the same aptitudes as human.

From the responses I've seen, I think the question needs to be raised of whether or not Demigods are a challenge species. If yes, then no attempt to improve them is likely to be well-received. If no, we have to ask whether Demigods, with below-average aptitudes (I know -1 is technically average, but is worse than human, the baseline species) and lack of a god, are sufficiently compensated by their self-directed high attributes as well as higher HP and MP.

For this message the author monkeytor has received thanks:
Shtopit

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 07:18

I think a big part of the reason demigods feel wanting to a lot of people, is because it doesn't feel like they're actually all that great in exchange for not having a god. Slightly more HP/MP/base stats is nice, but they have globally negative aptitudes for whatever reason, and +10% hp/mp isn't really that big of a deal (although it's certainly decent). Like, I'd rather just be godless on a different species that's better at learning things, because I -need- those things even more than normal without a god.

It's a challenge species, except where most of those species have unique features, demigod's specialty is having... less exp, less skills, no god, but slightly better stats. Yay...?

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 07:24

I don't play Demigods because they're bad in a boring way. Octopodes are also bad but they're at least more interesting.

If you wanted Demigods to be as good as Humans you'd probably need to raise their base stats to 20/20/20.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 08:26

What is weird with Demigods is that they get a name that binds them closer to the gods, instead of being called something like "Forsaken", i.e. something that lets you understand that this race is built around not having a god.

I agree that they play slow, and don't get much in return. They aren't very exciting. Having 0 apts (-1 sp) would be interesting to see, and easier to compare to the baseline Human.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 08:27

The best way to buff demigods is to nerf overpowered gods.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Nino, runewalsh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 00:38

Shtopit wrote:What is weird with Demigods is that they get a name that binds them closer to the gods, instead of being called something like "Forsaken", i.e. something that lets you understand that this race is built around not having a god.

I agree that they play slow, and don't get much in return. They aren't very exciting. Having 0 apts (-1 sp) would be interesting to see, and easier to compare to the baseline Human.

I do think that giving them a name similar to forsaken would solve a lot of the issues (if you can call repeated forum posts an issue). Not that player feedback doesn't matter, but it isn't exactly an in-game problem, so much as a perception problem.

As someone who loves the stat system, I do find demigods interesting, but I don't play them often as I gotta have my Chei. In fact I've only won one, for great player status.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 15:13

>In fact I've only won one, for great player status.

There should be a "boredplayer" status, awarded for winning a Demigod of every background. :-P
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 13:13

tasonir wrote:I do think that giving them a name similar to forsaken would solve a lot of the issues (if you can call repeated forum posts an issue). Not that player feedback doesn't matter, but it isn't exactly an in-game problem, so much as a perception problem.

As someone who loves the stat system, I do find demigods interesting, but I don't play them often as I gotta have my Chei. In fact I've only won one, for great player status.

mattlistener wrote:There should be a "boredplayer" status, awarded for winning a Demigod of every background. :-P

It seems like we can distinguish between two issues here: the perception mismatch (Demigods should be more demigodly) and the boringness of Demigods (what I called their "flatness").

It's correct that a name and description change would take care of the perception problem (I personally liked a proposal I saw once to rename them "Automata"). The boringness, though, seems like an issue. Tasonir, you find them "interesting" but not interesting enough to play! It seems weird to me that we would retain a species for the sake of abstract design principles even though relatively few players seem to like it.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 16:04

Alright. Let's look at a demigod objectively.

They effectively DON'T have +10% hp or mp because they have the worst leveling rate in the game, and learn fighting and spellcasting slowly; I wouldn't be surprised if, on average, they have slightly -less- hp than a human with equivalent EXP investment. (About the same mp, since +2 base) But overall, they should have roughly the same amount, so let's not overthink for a trivially small point difference.

Past having normal hp/mp, they have globally eh aptitudes. Nothing that terrible, but considering you usually probably pick a species that's at least slightly good at what you're planning to learn, DG kinda looks like a godless mummy... is this putting the meh-ness into perspective yet?

And now, stats! The only thing Demigod actually DOES have going for it. They get great starting stats, and manually pick the stat up that's usually randomized, giving them 18 chosen stat-ups instead of 9 chosen and 6~9 randomized one usually has. If a DG goes all-in on, say, INT, they will have 11 more points at the end than the average human, and still... 1 more point of str/dex.

So! Demigods have no extra hp/mp until the -very- end of the game, globally negative aptitudes, no god, but get 13 more stat points across the course of the game than an average human. The extra stat points are kinda nice, but... yeah, is this race supposed to actually be fun? The stat points look more like a pity gift so that a DG doesn't cry over how underwhelming they are, than anything else.

They don't need to be given weird intrinsics since being plain is kind of their draw, I guess, but if their descrption talks about their amazing resilience and great reserves of magic, maybe they should actually HAVE these traits??? They're still gonna be a lot worse than almost any other species if they have +20% hp/mp, and either 1 stat point every level or less of a global aptitude penalty.

For this message the author Tumalu has received thanks: 3
Majang, Rast, Vajrapani

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 18:37

I made an experiment in WizMode. I tried killing a Titan with different lvl 1 characters: that's 2582 XP. Results:

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21.1 (tiles) character file.

Dooze the Skirmisher (Demonspawn Fighter)             Turns: 17, Time: 00:01:24

Health: 66/67      AC:  9    Str: 19    XL:     8   Next: 79%
Magic:  8/8        EV: 10    Int: 10    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 12    Spells: 7/7 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis .   c - +10 dark maul {crush}
rCold    . . .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   b - +0 scale mail
rPois    .         Spirit   .   (no helmet)
rElec    .         Reflect  .   (no cloak)
rCorr    .         Harm     .   (no gloves)
MR       .....                  (no boots)
Stlth    ..........             (no amulet)
HPRegen  0.21/turn              (no ring)
MPRegen  0.11/turn              (no ring)

@: no status effects
A: claws 2, yellow scales 1, spiny 1
a: no special abilities

You are on level 1 of the Dungeon.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 1 branch of the dungeon, and seen 1 of its levels.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail
 c - the +10 dark maul (weapon) {crush}
   (Your wizardly powers created it on level 1 of the Dungeon)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
Armour
 b - a +0 scale mail (worn)
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 7,0 Fighting
 + Level 5,8 Maces & Flails
 + Level 6,6 Armour
 + Level 1,4 Dodging
 + Level 1,5 Stealth
   Level 2,6 Shields

You have 7 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have very sharp fingernails.
You are partially covered in yellow scales. (AC +2)
You are partially covered in sharp spines.

Message History

You feel clever.
You have reached level 5!
You have reached level 6!
Your experience leads to an increase in your attributes!
Increase (S)trength, (I)ntelligence, or (D)exterity?
You feel stronger. Your demonic ancestry asserts itself...
Sharp spines emerge from parts of your body.
You have reached level 7!
Your demonic ancestry asserts itself...
Your fingernails sharpen.
You have reached level 8!
You feel stronger.
The hobgoblin is struck by your spines.
The hobgoblin hits you but does no damage.
The rat bites you.
The rat is struck by your spines. The rat bites you but does no damage.
The rat is struck by your spines.
You kill the rat!

#########
  #...#  .#
  #...##..#
  #.......#
  #.@g....#
  #.......#
  #..###..#
  #..#   .#
  ...#
 ....#
##....

You can see a hobgoblin.

Vanquished Creatures
  A titan (D:1)
  A rat (D:1)
2 creatures vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
-------+----------+-------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Dooze the Demonspawn Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 18/18 MP: 1/1
     6 | D:1      | Entered wizard mode.
     6 | D:1      | Found the +10 dark maul {crush}
     8 | D:1      | Noticed a titan
     9 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (14 damage)

9 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (47 damage)

10 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (8 damage)

11 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (49 damage)
             ... with a bolt of lightning

11 | D:1      | Slain by a titan (18 damage)

12 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (40 damage)

12 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (43 damage)

12 | D:1      | Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (26 damage)

13 | D:1      | Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (26 damage)

14 | D:1      | Slain by a hobgoblin (4 damage)

15 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (35 damage)

15 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (52 damage)

16 | D:1      | Killed a titan
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Dodging
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You have sharp fingernails. [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 31/31 MP: 2/2
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You are partially covered in yellow scales. (AC +2) [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 36/36 MP: 3/3
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 43/43 MP: 4/4
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 48/48 MP: 5/5
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You are partially covered in sharp spines. [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 55/55 MP: 6/6
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You have very sharp fingernails. [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 60/60 MP: 7/7
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 67/67 MP: 8/8

Skill      XL: |  1 |
---------------+----+-----
Fighting       |  7 |  7,0
Maces & Flails |  5 |  5,8
Armour         |  6 |  6,6
Dodging        |  1 |  1,4
Stealth        |  1 |  1,5
Shields        |    |  2,6

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Maul              |     9 |       |       ||     9
 Stab: Sleeping          |     1 |       |       ||     1
Armor: Scale mail        |     8 |       |     4 ||    12
Dodge: Dodged            |    12 |       |       ||    12

Code:

Kober the Skirmisher (Kobold Fighter)                 Turns: 27, Time: 00:01:41

Health: 57/57      AC:  7    Str: 16    XL:     9   Next: 11%
Magic:  9/9        EV: 12    Int:  9    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 15    Spells: 8/8 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis +   c - +14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse} (curse)
HPRegen  0.19/turn              (no ring)

A: small, carnivore
a: Evoke Flight

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail
 c - the cursed +14 obsidian axe (weapon) {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse}

It lets you see invisible.
   It lets you fly.
   It curses itself when equipped.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 7,5 Fighting
 + Level 5,2(5,5) Axes
 + Level 2,7(4,6) Maces & Flails
 + Level 4,9 Armour
 + Level 1,8 Dodging
   Level 2,4 Shields

You have 8 spell levels left.

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

You are small and have problems with some larger weapons.
You are carnivorous and can eat meat at any time.

Message History

Your Armour skill gained 2 levels and is now at level 4!
Your Dodging skill increases to level 1!
You have reached level 2!
You have reached level 3!
You feel stronger.
You have reached level 4!
You feel agile.
You feel stronger.
You have reached level 9!
You feel stronger.

...#
   ?...#
  ??...##
 ??.....##
??.......##
?§.8..8..8#
??........+
?..<......+
??..@.....+
 ?.8.†8..8#
 ?...$..?##
 ?......##
 ??....##
  ?....#
  ??...#
   ??..#

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
1 creature vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Kober the Kobold Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 14/14 MP: 1/1
     6 | D:1      | Found the cursed +14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse}
     9 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (21 damage)

10 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (44 damage)

10 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (23 damage)

11 | D:1      | Demolished by a titan (35 damage)

12 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (26 damage)

15 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (40 damage)

15 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (46 damage)

16 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (51 damage)

17 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (22 damage)

19 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (43 damage)

26 | D:1      | Killed a titan
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Axes
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Dodging
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 24/24 MP: 2/2
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 28/28 MP: 3/3
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 34/34 MP: 4/4
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 38/38 MP: 5/5
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 44/44 MP: 6/6
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 48/48 MP: 7/7
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 53/53 MP: 8/8
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 57/57 MP: 9/9

Fighting       |  7 |  7,5
Axes           |  5 |  5,2
Maces & Flails |  2 |  2,7
Armour         |  4 |  4,9
Dodging        |  1 |  1,8
Shields        |    |  2,4

Melee: Broad axe         |    18 |       |       ||    18
Dodge: Dodged            |     4 |       |       ||     4

Code:

Humma the Covered (Human Fighter)                     Turns: 10, Time: 00:01:04

Health: 71/71      AC:  7    Str: 21    XL:     9   Next: 35%
Magic:  9/9        EV:  9    Int:  8    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 12    Spells: 8/8 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis .   e - +10 dark maul {crush}
Stlth    +.........             (no amulet)
HPRegen  0.21/turn              (no ring)

A: no striking features

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail
 e - the +10 dark maul (weapon) {crush}

Armour
 c - a +0 shield
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 6,6 Fighting
 + Level 4,9 Maces & Flails
 + Level 6,9 Armour
 + Level 2,1 Stealth
 + Level 6,5 Shields

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

Message History

Your Shields skill gained 3 levels and is now at level 6!
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.

###
###..#
#....+
#.†..#
#.@..#
#....#
######

Vanquished Creatures
1 creature vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Humma the Human Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Entered wizard mode.
     0 | D:1      | Found the +10 dark maul {crush}
     7 | D:1      | Noticed a titan
     9 | D:1      | Killed a titan
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 29/29 MP: 2/2
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 35/35 MP: 3/3
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 41/41 MP: 4/4
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 47/47 MP: 5/5
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 53/53 MP: 6/6
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 59/59 MP: 7/7
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 65/65 MP: 8/8
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 71/71 MP: 9/9

Fighting       |  6 |  6,6
Maces & Flails |  4 |  4,9
Armour         |  6 |  6,9
Stealth        |  2 |  2,1
Shields        |  6 |  6,5

Melee: Maul              |     3 |       |       ||     3
Dodge: Dodged            |     1 |       |       ||     1

Code:

Orchid the Skirmisher (Demigod Fighter)               Turns: 11, Time: 00:02:08

Health: 73/73      AC:  7    Str: 23    XL:     8   Next: 48%
Magic:  10/10      EV:  9    Int: 12    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 15    Spells: 7/7 levels left

HPRegen  0.22/turn              (no ring)
MPRegen  0.12/turn              (no ring)

A: high mp 1

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail

Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 7,2 Fighting
 + Level 4,5 Maces & Flails
 + Level 6,9 Armour
 + Level 1,5 Stealth
   Level 2,6 Shields

You have 7 spell levels left.

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)

You have an increased reservoir of magic. (+10% MP)

Message History

Your experience leads to a dramatic increase in your attributes!
You feel stronger. x2
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
Unknown command.

#.#
     #.#
##  ##.##
#...#...#
#.8(..@(#
#...#...#
##  #####

Vanquished Creatures
1 creature vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Orchid the Demigod Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 18/18 MP: 3/3
     9 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (30 damage)

10 | D:1      | Killed a titan
    10 | D:1      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
    10 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 34/34 MP: 4/4
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 39/39 MP: 5/5
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 47/47 MP: 6/6
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 52/52 MP: 7/7
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 60/60 MP: 8/8
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 66/66 MP: 9/9
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 73/73 MP: 10/10

Fighting       |  7 |  7,2
Maces & Flails |  4 |  4,5
Armour         |  6 |  6,9
Stealth        |  1 |  1,5
Shields        |    |  2,6

Dodge: Dodged            |     1 |       |       ||     1

Code:

Derac the Fighter (Hill Orc Fighter)                  Turns: 11, Time: 00:01:29

Health: 84/84      AC:  8    Str: 22    XL:     9   Next: 10%
Magic:  9/9        EV:  9    Int:  8    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 10    Spells: 8/8 levels left

HPRegen  0.24/turn              (no ring)

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail

Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 9,4 Fighting
 + Level 6,2 Maces & Flails
 + Level 8,2 Armour
 + Level 1,1 Stealth
   Level 3,2 Shields

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

Message History

Your Stealth skill increases to level 1!
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.
You feel stronger.
Unknown command.

##
#.
#.##
#.@#
####

Vanquished Creatures
1 creature vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Derac the Hill Orc Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 1/1
     9 | D:1      | Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (25 damage)

10 | D:1      | Reached skill level 9 in Fighting
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 37/37 MP: 2/2
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 44/44 MP: 3/3
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 50/50 MP: 4/4
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 57/57 MP: 5/5
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 64/64 MP: 6/6
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 70/70 MP: 7/7
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 78/78 MP: 8/8
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 84/84 MP: 9/9

Fighting       |  9 |  9,4
Maces & Flails |  6 |  6,2
Armour         |  8 |  8,2
Stealth        |  1 |  1,1
Shields        |    |  3,2

(the Ds also killed a rat with spines).

Now, this was done with autoskilling, so take that in account.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 18:43

If anyone is interested in how it goes adding some more XP in the form of 10 golden dragons (4175 XP x 10)

Code:

Kober the Fighter (Kobold Fighter)                    Turns: 89, Time: 00:03:51

Health: 69/85      AC:  8    Str: 18    XL:     13   Next: 28%
Magic:  13/13      EV: 16    Int:  9    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 15    Spells: 12/12 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis +   c - +14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse} (curse)
HPRegen  0.24/turn              (no ring)
MPRegen  0.13/turn              (no ring)

A: small, carnivore
a: Evoke Flight

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail
 c - the cursed +14 obsidian axe (weapon) {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse}

It lets you see invisible.
   It lets you fly.
   It curses itself when equipped.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 11,9 Fighting
 + Level 10,4(10,5) Axes
 + Level 2,7(7,8) Maces & Flails
 + Level 10,5 Armour
 + Level 7,1 Dodging
 + Level 2,8 Stealth
   Level 2,4 Shields

You have 12 spell levels left.

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

You are small and have problems with some larger weapons.
You are carnivorous and can eat meat at any time.

Message History

The golden dragon is almost dead.
The golden dragon bites you but does no damage.
The golden dragon claws you! The golden dragon tramples you. You stumble backwards!
Unknown command.
You slash the golden dragon!
You are engulfed in a forest fire.
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The golden dragon bites you.
The golden dragon claws you!
Die?
Thought so. The golden dragon tramples you! You hold your ground! Your sixfirhy hits the golden dragon.
You are no longer entranced.
The golden dragon dies!
The gold dragon scales are intact enough to wear.
Your Dodging skill increases to level 7!
Your Stealth skill increases to level 2!
Things that are here:
+0 gold dragon scales; a golden dragon corpse x2

...#
    ...#
   ?...#
  ??...##
 ??.....##
??.......##
?..8..8..8#
??[.......+
?.[<......+
??@3......+
?§.8.†8..8#
??...$..?##
 ?......##
 ??....##
  ?....#
  ??...#
   ??..#
     ?.#

You can see a friendly sixfirhy.

Vanquished Creatures
  5 golden dragons (D:1)
6 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  3 golden dragons (D:1)
3 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 9 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Kober the Kobold Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 14/14 MP: 1/1
     6 | D:1      | Found the cursed +14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse}
     9 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (21 damage)

10 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (44 damage)

10 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (23 damage)

11 | D:1      | Demolished by a titan (35 damage)

12 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (26 damage)

15 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (40 damage)

15 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (46 damage)

16 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (51 damage)

17 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (22 damage)

19 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (43 damage)

26 | D:1      | Killed a titan
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 7 in Fighting
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Axes
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Dodging
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 24/24 MP: 2/2
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 28/28 MP: 3/3
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 34/34 MP: 4/4
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 38/38 MP: 5/5
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 44/44 MP: 6/6
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 48/48 MP: 7/7
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 53/53 MP: 8/8
    26 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 57/57 MP: 9/9
    30 | D:1      | Noticed a golden dragon
    31 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (40 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

33 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (25 damage)

33 | D:1      | HP: 1/57 [golden dragon/bolt of cold (48)]
    33 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (13 damage)

33 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (43 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

35 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (37 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

36 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (7 damage)

37 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (25 damage)

37 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (50 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

39 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (10 damage)

39 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (27 damage)

40 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (25 damage)

41 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

42 | D:1      | HP: 1/57 [golden dragon (6)]
    42 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (9 damage)

42 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

43 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (36 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

45 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (11 damage)

45 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (50 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

46 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

47 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (26 damage)

48 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    48 | D:1      | Reached skill level 9 in Fighting
    48 | D:1      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 39/66 MP: 10/10
    48 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (44 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

48 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (16 damage)

49 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (10 damage)

51 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (20 damage)

52 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    52 | D:1      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 72/72 MP: 11/11
    52 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (31 damage)

54 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (19 damage)

56 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    56 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
    56 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
    56 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (13 damage)

57 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (6 damage)

59 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (16 damage)

61 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (10 damage)

63 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (23 damage)

64 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (32 damage)

64 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    64 | D:1      | Reached XP level 12. HP: 72/79 MP: 12/12
    65 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (27 damage)

67 | D:1      | HP: 3/79 [golden dragon/bolt of cold (46)]
    67 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (60 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

68 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    68 | D:1      | Reached skill level 11 in Fighting
    69 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (6 damage)

70 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    70 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
    71 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (7 damage)

74 | D:1      | HP: 2/80 [golden dragon (14)]
    75 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (31 damage)

81 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    81 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Axes
    81 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
    81 | D:1      | Reached XP level 13. HP: 16/84 MP: 13/13
    82 | D:1      | HP: 4/84 [golden dragon (4)]
    82 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

87 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (11 damage)

87 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 |
---------------+----------------------------------------+-----
Fighting       |  7                       9    10 11    | 11,9
Axes           |  5                       7  8  9 10    | 10,4
Maces & Flails |  2                                     |  2,7
Armour         |  4                       7  8  9 10    | 10,5
Dodging        |  1                       3  4  5  6  7 |  7,1
Stealth        |                                   1  2 |  2,8
Shields        |                                        |  2,4

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Broad axe         |    18 |       |    19 |    31 |     6 ||    74
 Stab: Sleeping          |       |       |     3 |       |       ||     3
       Distracted        |       |       |       |     2 |     1 ||     3
Armor: Scale mail        |       |       |    30 |    39 |     2 ||    71
Dodge: Dodged            |     4 |       |    45 |    69 |     4 ||   122

Code:

Dooze the Protected (Demonspawn Fighter)              Turns: 46, Time: 00:03:42

Health: 94/107     AC: 11    Str: 26    XL:     13   Next: 21%
Magic:  13/13      EV: 20    Int: 10    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 18    Spells: 12/12 levels left

Stlth    ++........             (no amulet)
HPRegen  0.27/turn              (no ring)

@: mighty, agile, mildly poisoned (94 -> 82)
A: claws 2, yellow scales 1, powered by pain 1, spiny 2

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail

Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 11,9 Fighting
 + Level 10,3 Maces & Flails
 + Level 12,8 Armour
 + Level 6,7 Dodging
 + Level 3,6 Stealth
   Level 2,6 Shields

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

You have very sharp fingernails.
You are partially covered in yellow scales. (AC +2)
You sometimes gain a little power by taking damage.
You are mostly covered in sharp spines.

Message History

The golden dragon bites you!!
The golden dragon claws you but does no damage.
The golden dragon closely misses you.
Unknown command.
You sock the golden dragon!
You feel very sick.
The golden dragon breathes cold at you.
The bolt of cold hits you!
Die?
Thought so. The golden dragon misses you. The golden dragon claws you! The golden dragon tramples you. You stumble backwards!
You sock the golden dragon!
You kill the golden dragon!
You feel very sick.
Unknown command.
You feel sick.
You see here a golden dragon corpse.
Unknown command.

################
#..............#
#..............#
#.......@......#
#..#####.).##..#
#      #[[.##..#
       #.......#
       #†<.....#
       #.......#
       #..###..#
       #..#  ..#
       ...#   .#
      ....#
     ##....

Vanquished Creatures
  10 golden dragons (D:1)
  A goblin (D:1)
  A hobgoblin (D:1)
  A rat (D:1)
14 creatures vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Dooze the Demonspawn Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     9 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (14 damage)

9 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (47 damage)

10 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (8 damage)

11 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (49 damage)

11 | D:1      | Slain by a titan (18 damage)

12 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a titan (40 damage)

12 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (43 damage)

12 | D:1      | Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (26 damage)

13 | D:1      | Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (26 damage)

14 | D:1      | Slain by a hobgoblin (4 damage)

15 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (35 damage)

15 | D:1      | Annihilated by a titan (52 damage)

16 | D:1      | Killed a titan
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 6 in Armour
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Dodging
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You have sharp fingernails. [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 31/31 MP: 2/2
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You are partially covered in yellow scales. (AC +2) [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 36/36 MP: 3/3
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 43/43 MP: 4/4
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 48/48 MP: 5/5
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You are partially covered in sharp spines. [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 55/55 MP: 6/6
    16 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You have very sharp fingernails. [demonic ancestry]
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 60/60 MP: 7/7
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 67/67 MP: 8/8
    17 | D:1      | Noticed a golden dragon
    18 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    18 | D:1      | Reached skill level 8 in Armour
    18 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You are mostly covered in sharp spines. [demonic ancestry]
    18 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 75/75 MP: 9/9
    18 | D:1      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 82/82 MP: 10/10
    19 | D:1      | HP: 4/82 [golden dragon (6)]
    19 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

19 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (24 damage)

19 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (26 damage)

19 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (22 damage)

20 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    20 | D:1      | Reached skill level 9 in Armour
    20 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (35 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

20 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (29 damage)

21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (12 damage)

21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (10 damage)

21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

22 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    22 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
    22 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
    22 | D:1      | Gained mutation: You sometimes gain a little power by taking damage. [demonic ancestry]
    22 | D:1      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 49/90 MP: 11/11
    22 | D:1      | HP: 1/90 [golden dragon (9)]
    22 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (33 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

22 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

23 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (22 damage)

23 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (32 damage)

24 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (5 damage)

24 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (27 damage)

24 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

25 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (13 damage)

25 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (13 damage)

26 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (50 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

26 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (29 damage)

26 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

27 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    27 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (21 damage)

28 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (13 damage)

28 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (24 damage)

29 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (24 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

29 | D:1      | HP: 4/92 [golden dragon/bolt of fire (62)]
    29 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (23 damage)

29 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (5 damage)

30 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (32 damage)

30 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    30 | D:1      | Reached skill level 11 in Armour
    30 | D:1      | Reached XP level 12. HP: 37/100 MP: 12/12
    30 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (32 damage)

31 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (27 damage)

32 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (31 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

33 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (10 damage)

34 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (17 damage)

34 | D:1      | HP: 3/100 [golden dragon (9)]
    35 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    35 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
    35 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (20 damage)

35 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (21 damage)

36 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    36 | D:1      | Reached skill level 12 in Armour
    36 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (14 damage)

37 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (48 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

38 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    38 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
    40 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    40 | D:1      | Reached XP level 13. HP: 18/107 MP: 13/13
    40 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (43 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

43 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (45 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

44 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 |
---------------+-------------------------------------+-----
Fighting       |  7                    8    10 11    | 11,9
Maces & Flails |  5                    7     9    10 | 10,3
Armour         |  6                    8    10 11 12 | 12,8
Dodging        |  1                    2     3  4  6 |  6,7
Stealth        |  1                    3             |  3,6
Shields        |                                     |  2,6

Melee: Maul              |     9 |       |     2 |    21 |     4 ||    36
 Stab: Sleeping          |     1 |       |     1 |       |       ||     2
Armor: Scale mail        |     8 |       |     5 |    95 |     4 ||   112
Dodge: Dodged            |    12 |       |       |   184 |    10 ||   206

Code:

Humma the Protected (Human Fighter)                   Turns: 36, Time: 00:02:47

Health: 86/106     AC:  9    Str: 22    XL:     13   Next: 51%
Magic:  13/13      EV: 13    Int:  9    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 12    Spells: 12/12 levels left

HPRegen  0.27/turn              (no ring)

@: quite poisoned (86 -> 51)

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail

Armour
 c - a +0 shield
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 11,3 Fighting
 + Level 10,2 Maces & Flails
 + Level 13,0 Armour
 + Level 5,8 Dodging
 + Level 4,0 Stealth
 + Level 7,5 Shields

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

Message History

You hold your ground! The golden dragon misses you. The golden dragon claws you!
Die?
[Y]es or [N]o only, please.
Die?
Die?
Thought so. The golden dragon closely misses you.
Unknown command.
You hammer the golden dragon like a gong!!!
Your Maces & Flails skill increases to level 10!
Your Armour skill increases to level 13!
You are engulfed in poison gas.
You are more poisoned.
You feel extremely sick.
You feel very sick.
Things that are here:
+0 gold dragon scales; a golden dragon corpse
Unknown command.

###
###..#
#....+
#.†..#
#†<..#
#.@..#
######

Vanquished Creatures
  8 golden dragons (D:1)
9 creatures vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Humma the Human Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     7 | D:1      | Noticed a titan
     9 | D:1      | Killed a titan
     9 | D:1      | Reached skill level 6 in Armour
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 29/29 MP: 2/2
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 35/35 MP: 3/3
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 41/41 MP: 4/4
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 47/47 MP: 5/5
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 53/53 MP: 6/6
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 59/59 MP: 7/7
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 65/65 MP: 8/8
     9 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 71/71 MP: 9/9
    11 | D:1      | Noticed a golden dragon
    12 | D:1      | HP: 3/71 [golden dragon (9)]
    12 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (18 damage)

13 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (40 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

13 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (6 damage)

13 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (10 damage)

14 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    14 | D:1      | Reached skill level 8 in Armour
    14 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Dodging
    14 | D:1      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 63/81 MP: 10/10
    14 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (12 damage)

14 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (59 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

14 | D:1      | HP: 1/81 [golden dragon (13)]
    15 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (5 damage)

15 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (62 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

15 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (16 damage)

16 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (19 damage)

17 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    17 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
    17 | D:1      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 32/89 MP: 11/11
    17 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (37 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

17 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (11 damage)

18 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (31 damage)

18 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (15 damage)

19 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (65 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

19 | D:1      | HP: 3/89 [golden dragon (4)]
    19 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (33 damage)

20 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (27 damage)

20 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (53 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

20 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (18 damage)

21 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

22 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (22 damage)

22 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (16 damage)

23 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    23 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
    23 | D:1      | Reached skill level 11 in Armour
    23 | D:1      | Reached XP level 12. HP: 26/97 MP: 12/12
    23 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (67 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

24 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    24 | D:1      | Reached skill level 12 in Armour
    25 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (29 damage)

25 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (26 damage)

26 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (42 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

27 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    27 | D:1      | Reached XP level 13. HP: 25/105 MP: 13/13
    27 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (35 damage)

27 | D:1      | HP: 5/105 [golden dragon (23)]
    27 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (5 damage)

29 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (51 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

30 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
    30 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (31 damage)

32 | D:1      | HP: 5/106 [golden dragon/blast of poison (2)]
    32 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (11 damage)

33 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

34 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    34 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
    34 | D:1      | Reached skill level 13 in Armour

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 |
---------------+----------------------------------------+-----
Fighting       |  6                       8  9 10    11 | 11,3
Maces & Flails |  4                       6  8     9 10 | 10,2
Armour         |  6                       8 10 11 12 13 | 13,0
Stealth        |  2                       3  4          |  4,0
Shields        |  6                       7             |  7,5
Dodging        |                          1  2  3  4  5 |  5,8

Melee: Maul              |     3 |       |     4 |    13 |     7 ||    27
Armor: Scale mail        |       |       |     4 |    26 |     6 ||    36
Dodge: Dodged            |     1 |       |     9 |    64 |    17 ||    91

Code:

Orchid the Protected (Demigod Fighter)                Turns: 43, Time: 00:04:31

Health: 99/112     AC:  9    Str: 27    XL:     12   Next: 95%
Magic:  15/15      EV: 14    Int: 12    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 15    Spells: 11/11 levels left

MR       +....                  (no boots)
HPRegen  0.28/turn              (no ring)
MPRegen  0.14/turn              (no ring)

A: high mp 1

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail

Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 11,9 Fighting
 + Level 7,9 Maces & Flails
 + Level 13,9 Armour
 + Level 6,4 Dodging
 + Level 1,5 Stealth
   Level 2,6 Shields

You have 11 spell levels left.

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)

You have an increased reservoir of magic. (+10% MP)

Message History

You hold your ground!
Unknown command.
You flatten the golden dragon like a pancake!!!
The golden dragon is severely wounded.
The golden dragon bites you!!
Die?
Die?
Die?
Thought so. The golden dragon claws you. The golden dragon tramples you. You hold your ground! The golden dragon closely misses you. The golden dragon barely misses you.
The golden dragon tramples you. You hold your ground! The golden dragon misses you.
The golden dragon claws you but does no damage.
The golden dragon tramples you. You hold your ground!
You beat the golden dragon like a drum!!!!
Items here: [[[ †††
+0 gold dragon scales x3; a golden dragon corpse x3
Unknown command.

.##
     ...#
 .8  .8.
 ..  ...
 #.  #.#
 #.  #.#
##.###.##
#...#...#
#.8(@[<(#
#...#...#
#########

Vanquished Creatures
  10 golden dragons (D:1)
11 creatures vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Orchid the Demigod Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 18/18 MP: 3/3
     9 | D:1      | Mangled by a titan (30 damage)

10 | D:1      | Reached skill level 6 in Armour
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 34/34 MP: 4/4
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 39/39 MP: 5/5
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 47/47 MP: 6/6
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 52/52 MP: 7/7
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 60/60 MP: 8/8
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 66/66 MP: 9/9
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 73/73 MP: 10/10
    12 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (11 damage)

12 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (32 damage)

12 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (21 damage)

12 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (6 damage)

12 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (22 damage)

13 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (23 damage)

13 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (36 damage)

13 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (17 damage)

13 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (33 damage)

13 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (17 damage)

13 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (15 damage)

13 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (28 damage)

13 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (31 damage)

14 | D:1      | HP: 3/73 [golden dragon (4)]
    14 | D:1      | HP: 1/73 [golden dragon (2)]
    14 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (9 damage)

14 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (11 damage)

14 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (28 damage)

14 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

14 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (11 damage)

14 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (26 damage)

14 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (7 damage)

15 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

15 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (16 damage)

15 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (8 damage)

15 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (29 damage)

15 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (33 damage)

15 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

15 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (12 damage)

16 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    16 | D:1      | Reached skill level 9 in Armour
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 42/82 MP: 11/11
    16 | D:1      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 46/90 MP: 13/13
    16 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (7 damage)

16 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (21 damage)

16 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (20 damage)

17 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (6 damage)

17 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (10 damage)

17 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (6 damage)

17 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (34 damage)

17 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (32 damage)

17 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (32 damage)

18 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (24 damage)

18 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

18 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (11 damage)

18 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

18 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (9 damage)

19 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    19 | D:1      | Reached skill level 11 in Armour
    19 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (13 damage)

19 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (24 damage)

20 | D:1      | HP: 4/91 [golden dragon (14)]
    20 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (22 damage)

21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (35 damage)

21 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (31 damage)

22 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (25 damage)

22 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (16 damage)

23 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    23 | D:1      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 47/99 MP: 14/14
    23 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (70 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

23 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (14 damage)

23 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (25 damage)

24 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

24 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (24 damage)

25 | D:1      | HP: 1/99 [golden dragon (14)]
    25 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (8 damage)

25 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

25 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (3 damage)

26 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
    26 | D:1      | Reached skill level 12 in Armour
    26 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

27 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (52 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

27 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (36 damage)

28 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    28 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
    28 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

28 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (32 damage)

28 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (20 damage)

29 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (45 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

29 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (19 damage)

29 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (12 damage)

30 | D:1      | Reached XP level 12. HP: 64/110 MP: 15/15
    30 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (32 damage)

30 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (27 damage)

31 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (29 damage)

31 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (53 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

32 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    32 | D:1      | Reached skill level 13 in Armour
    32 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (13 damage)

35 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    35 | D:1      | HP: 1/110 [golden dragon (5)]
    35 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (8 damage)

36 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (35 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

37 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (8 damage)

38 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (20 damage)

39 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    40 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (19 damage)

41 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon

Fighting       |  7                    8     9 11    | 11,9
Maces & Flails |  4                    5     6  7    |  7,9
Armour         |  6                    9    11 12 13 | 13,9
Stealth        |  1                                  |  1,5
Dodging        |                       2     4  5  6 |  6,4
Shields        |                                     |  2,6

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Maul              |     3 |       |     6 |    24 ||    33
 Stab: Sleeping          |     1 |       |     1 |       ||     2
Armor: Scale mail        |       |       |    38 |   122 ||   160
Dodge: Dodged            |     1 |       |    56 |   200 ||   257

Code:

Derac the Fighter (Hill Orc Fighter)                  Turns: 39, Time: 00:04:34

Health: 59/124     AC:  9    Str: 24    XL:     13   Next: 1%
Magic:  13/13      EV: 12    Int:  8    God:    No God 0 (0)
Gold:   0          SH:  0    Dex: 10    Spells: 12/12 levels left

HPRegen  0.30/turn              (no ring)

@: quite poisoned (59 -> 37)

You are not hungry.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +0 flail

Armour
Potions
 d - a potion of might
Comestibles
 f - a ration

Skills:
 + Level 14,1 Fighting
 + Level 11,8 Maces & Flails
 + Level 13,6 Armour
 + Level 4,0 Dodging
 + Level 3,7 Stealth
   Level 3,2 Shields

Branches:
Dungeon (1/15)           

Altars:

Message History

The golden dragon claws you!
Die?
Die?
Thought so. The golden dragon closely misses you. The golden dragon misses you. The golden dragon claws you! The golden dragon tramples you. You hold your ground!
You closely miss the golden dragon.
The golden dragon is severely wounded.
You are engulfed in poison gas.
You are more poisoned.
You feel extremely sick.
The golden dragon bites you! The golden dragon claws you. The golden dragon tramples you! You hold your ground!
The golden dragon breathes fire at you.
The bolt of fire misses you.
Unknown command.
You beat the golden dragon like a drum!!!
Your Fighting skill increases to level 14!
Your Dodging skill increases to level 4!
You have reached level 13!
You feel extremely sick.

#######
#@[[..#
#.##..#
#.<##..#
#### ..#
     .##
     .#
     ##

Vanquished Creatures
  7 golden dragons (D:1)
8 creatures vanquished.

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Derac the Hill Orc Fighter began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 1/1
     9 | D:1      | Killed by the air
             ... invoked by a titan
              (25 damage)

10 | D:1      | Reached skill level 9 in Fighting
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 37/37 MP: 2/2
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 44/44 MP: 3/3
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 50/50 MP: 4/4
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 57/57 MP: 5/5
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 64/64 MP: 6/6
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 70/70 MP: 7/7
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 78/78 MP: 8/8
    10 | D:1      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 84/84 MP: 9/9
    16 | D:1      | Noticed a golden dragon
    17 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    17 | D:1      | Reached skill level 11 in Fighting
    17 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
    17 | D:1      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 96/96 MP: 10/10
    17 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (57 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

17 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (14 damage)

18 | D:1      | HP: 2/96 [golden dragon (9)]
    18 | D:1      | Demolished by a golden dragon (19 damage)

18 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (39 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire

18 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (5 damage)

18 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (35 damage)

19 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    19 | D:1      | Reached skill level 12 in Fighting
    19 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Dodging
    19 | D:1      | Reached XP level 11. HP: 93/105 MP: 11/11
    19 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (14 damage)

20 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (13 damage)

21 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    21 | D:1      | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
    22 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    22 | D:1      | Reached skill level 13 in Fighting
    22 | D:1      | Reached XP level 12. HP: 34/115 MP: 12/12
    22 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (41 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

24 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    25 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (19 damage)

27 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (12 damage)

28 | D:1      | HP: 3/115 [golden dragon (21)]
    28 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (15 damage)

29 | D:1      | Mangled by a golden dragon (11 damage)

30 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (21 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

31 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (54 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

32 | D:1      | Annihilated by a golden dragon (34 damage)

33 | D:1      | Killed from afar by a golden dragon (44 damage)
             ... with a bolt of cold

34 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    36 | D:1      | Slain by a golden dragon (14 damage)

38 | D:1      | Killed a golden dragon
    38 | D:1      | Reached skill level 14 in Fighting
    38 | D:1      | Reached XP level 13. HP: 66/124 MP: 13/13

Fighting       |  9                      11 12 13 14 | 14,1
Maces & Flails |  6                       8  9 10 11 | 11,8
Armour         |  8                      10 11 12 13 | 13,6
Stealth        |  1                       2  3       |  3,7
Dodging        |                             1  2  4 |  4,0
Shields        |                                     |  3,2

Melee: Maul              |     3 |       |     2 |    21 |       ||    26
Armor: Scale mail        |       |       |       |    28 |       ||    28
Dodge: Dodged            |       |       |       |    63 |       ||    63

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 21:24

Overall I'd say demigod is mostly in a good place.

"No gods" is the most elegant species drawback in the game, and it's no wonder everyone wants to rework demigods in order to steal it. Combined with stats it makes for an interesting but easy to understand character concept--through your personal excellence you can be as strong as an ogre focusing strength, more intelligent than a deep elf focusing intelligence, or more dexterous than a spriggan focusing dexterity (and have better base stats on top of it).

Where it gets complicated is the aptitudes and experience modifiers. New players see the wall of -1's and interpret it as being universally bad. "Was Heracles known for being an unskilled wrestler?" In addition, demigods are the only race where the experience modifier is far enough from the average to be felt by the player.

To an experienced player the aptitude penalties mean being focused more than being bad and being one level behind isn't insurmountable, I have to admit it can feel like mummy-lite at times.

So I'd say that demigod is well-balanced mechanically but can feel off. While I don't think it needs extensive changes, I would recommend

1. Slight flavor buffs
Give them back stat preservation and buff their transmutations aptitude from -1 to 0. Stat preservation is a minor unique ability that aligns with the core mechanical concept (good at stats) and transmutations is flavorful but doesn't have a huge effect on balance as going deep into the school is rare. Compare it to demonspawn, where <> break up the wall of -1.

2. Flatten the experience modifier
-2 is the lowest experience modifier in the game. If we assume the XP modifier works like aptitudes (assumption: -2 -> 40% more exp required to level) and compare Dg to a 0 XP modifier species (Gr, Gh, Op...), we see demigods as 0-1 levels behind between XL 1 and 15, 1-2 levels behind between XL 16 and 20, and 2-3 levels behind between XL 21 and 25. This also gives them a weird power curve compared to the other species. Demigods gain additional power in the endgame and postgame because they hit 27 later but aren't making piety gains in the early and midgame. Increasing the modifier to -1 doesn't make them much stronger (one level higher between XL 23 and 26) but it does mean players won't notice being at a level disadvantage. This means demigods have two drawbacks (no gods, mediocre apts) instead of three (no gods, mediocre apts, low level). In the long run I'd even suggest removing experience modifiers entirely, averaging every race to -1/3, as it's a hidden modifier with little effect that's mostly carried over from D&D.

3. Aptitude buffs
Change all weapon and elemental magic apts from -1 to 0. This means players no longer feel like Heracles is bad at wrestling while still holding demigods back vs. human apts, as a spearman still needs fighting and armour and a fire elementalist still needs spellcasting and conjurations. However, this option may be too much and I'm not certain I would recommend it.

Overall I think 1 might be too little and 3 might be too much, but 2 or 1&2 would probably be about right.

Experience table
  Code:
XP   -2 modifier   -1 modifier   0 modifier
0   1   1   1
14   2   2   2
42   3   3   3
98   4   4   4
196   5   5   5
378   6   6   6
728   7   7   7
1414   8   8   8
2772   9   9   9
5474   10   10   10
10864   11   11   11
21630   12   12   12
40600   13   13   13
67900   14   14   14
103600   15   15   15
147700   16   16   17
200200   17   17   18
261100   18   18   19
330400   19   19   20
408100   20   20   21
494200   21   21   23
588700   22   22   24
691600   23   24   25
802900   24   25   26
922600   25   26   27
1050700   26   27   27
1187200   27   27   27

For this message the author cliffracer has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Gorgondantess

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 23:32

Not going to fight about whether or not Dg are fun since that's subjective, but their earlygame is pretty good. If you're going to propose a power buff, don't buff their pre-lair power, which is already top 10. Obviously they "fall off" later if you usually take Trog/Kiku/Fedhas/Gozag every game.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 23:41

So I've tooted this horn plenty of times but god worship in DCSS keeps getting better and better. With * piety in 0.5, you could have gotten berserk from Trog, might from Okawaru, animate dead from Yred, a good deck from Nemelex (if you sacrificed the right items and were lucky), heal other from Elyvilon, minor destruction and rare healing from Makhleb, channeling from Sif, and pretty much nothing from other gods. The only useful thing you could get before reaching * was a Nemelex deck.

Nowadays, with * piety you can get berserk from Trog, heroism from Okawaru, animate dead from Yred, heal other from Elyvilon, minor destruction and rare healing from Makhleb, divine energy from Sif (ok this one was a nerf), wandering mushrooms from Fedhas, or a good book from Kiku...
...and you can, immediately after worshipping, get a potion petition from Gozag, a permanent unkillable ally from Hepliaklqana, a good deck from Nemelex, and Uskayaw's entire ability set. No need to even build up piety, find an altar and you're set with these gods. Gods aren't lacking in lategame potency either, look at Kiku and Zin now.

I believe Dg is still well above median (and Human) in power, but it's becoming a race with an increasingly short lead in the early game and a deficit after you find a good altar. That is frankly not a good thing for a race to be, and it would be nice to see it adjusted. A simple solution that wouldn't introduce additional complexity would be to reduce their starting stats and increase their level-based stat gain (+1 to a random stat every XL or two). This, of course, would not solve anything for the people who feel Dg is simply boring.

(Perhaps Dg is intended to be a "challenge race", but if players consider your challenge race to be one of the better races for streaking, that's a good indicator that it's not actually very challenging.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sprucery

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 20:36

I think duvessa nailed the issue. Let's compare demigod to human.

On D:1,
++ A demigod has 34 total stat points, 42% more than human's 24
= Excluding zealots no one has gods or piety
= Mediocre aptitudes don't have a significant effect on low-level characters
= Experience modifiers don't have a significant effect on character level.

On Z:5,
+ A demigod gains 18 stat points through leveling, only 20% more than human's 15, for a total of 52 vs 39 (+33%)
-- A demigod loses significant bonuses and abilities by not having a god
- Mediocre aptitudes have a significant effect for attaining high skill levels
- Demigod is around 2 character levels behind

The winrate of a species is dominated by the first 15 minutes of play, causing demigods to be viewed as overpowered. Whether a species feels good or bad to play depends on the other 2-8 hours, causing demigods to be viewed as underpowered. So demigod is more in need of scaling than a nerf or buff.

My first suggestion would be to change the experience modifier from -2 to -1 for the reasons described in my earlier post. This would have almost no effect earlygame (where experience requirements pretty much double per level) while having a noticeable effect lategame (where experience requirements are flat). It would also remove an unfun singleton.

My second suggestion would be to do what duvessa suggested and make their stat point growth more similar to other races, something like 10/11/10 (-3, for 29% over human) with +2 (choose per 3) and +1 (random per 4) for a total of 24 (+6, for 60% over human). This comes out to being one point weaker in everything at level one and one point stronger in everything at level 24. It's worth noting that a lead in base points is worth more in the earlygame (when stats are low and stat bonus sources are rare) than the endgame (where stats are high and stat bonus sources are common), which makes the existing demigod scaling even weirder.

With both of these, demigod would look like

On D:1,
+ A demigod has 31 total stat points, only 29% more than human's 24
= Excluding zealots no one has gods or piety
= Mediocre aptitudes don't have a significant effect on low-level characters
= Experience modifiers don't have a significant effect on character level.

On Z:5,
++ A demigod gains 24 stat points through leveling, 60% more than human's 15, for a total of 55 vs 39 (+41%)
-- A demigod loses significant bonuses and abilities by not having a god
- Mediocre aptitudes have a significant effect for attaining high skill levels
= Demigod is around 1 character level behind

So we go from a species that starts out much stronger than a human and ends up much weaker than a human to one that starts slightly stronger than a human and ends slightly weaker than a human, while maintaining the core tenants of the species as progress makes "demigodlyness" (no gods, high stats) more prominent instead of less.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 26th April 2018, 05:50

Realz coded up a new Demigod version where their "god" is themself and they get a random set of existing god abilities. Seems like an interesting idea.

For this message the author bhauth has received thanks: 2
Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Game Design Discussion