How long did it take to get your first rune?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 04:43

How long did it take to get your first rune?

I've been playing DCSS for under a month, and so far I've managed to have 3 runs that ended in a death after getting a rune. The first one to get a rune actually managed to get 2 runes before being ganked. Since I started playing I must have killed somewhere between 40 and 60 characters.

The 3 builds that I've had get a rune are: MiGl of Trog(the 2 runer). A MuWz of Kiku(who had managed to find a Grand Grimoire and Book of Anihilations BEFORE finding the temple, along with 5 other spellbooks died going down a set of stairs in the lair where a Hydra and Rupert were waiting.) And a VaNe of Sif Muna.

So I was wondering how long did it take all of you to get to your first rune? And how many characters did you go through before getting it?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 05:10

Re: How long did it take to get your first rune?

Quite a few tries for me. After getting the first rune (personal/noob victory) I started listening to general advice and holding off on the rune levels until I was ready for Zot. I've gotten one 3-rune win so far with a TrMo of Oki... A trunk MDFi of TSO waiting to get another rune or two for a 5/6 rune win (waiting for traps to get fixed in trunk before reupdating)... And currently a MuNe of Sif that is going for my first 15-rune (at 6 right now)
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 07:04

Serne wrote:I've been playing DCSS for under a month, and so far I've managed to have 3 runs that ended in a death after getting a rune.

This kind of thing astonishes me. I've been playing DCSS for three or four years, with approximately 3000 games played, and last week I got my first rune - got three, in fact, before getting killed in Vault.

But really, I'm always amazed at how people can do in only 50 attempts. You must simply be a better person than me...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 07:31

I think I've just been REALLY lucky with getting good drops, and I've been going through the threads where people are asking for advice on things then I try and use the advice that gets repeated the most often. With MiBe I lucked out and found that unrand axe with the speed brand before I even reached the temple. With the Mummy I found so many spellbooks that I dropped my jaw. Granted those three characters are the only ones I've had that even made it to the lair and beyond so take that for what it's worth.

Whenever I meet a new type of monster I always try to lure it away from everything else and then attempt to take it out, and if it gets me down to half health or below before I can even scratch it I try throwing the kitchen sink at it then run away if that fails.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 08:10

I use similar tactics (lots of running and luring) but it took me about 2.5k games to get to this stage of knowledge rather than the 25 games it looks like it took you. That's two orders of magnitude. You must be a fast learner :)

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 08:10

Twelve Spriggan Enchanters.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 09:01

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Twelve Spriggan Enchanters.

You got your first rune after twelve games?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 09:25

With Spriggan Enchanters.
I played with Deep Elf Wizards before, and since I tried to combine weak melee tactics with insufficient mana usage, they did not get too deep.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 12:24

Get off my lawn, you dang kids!

Over 10 years between first game of Crawl (as in Linley's version) and my first rune.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
Roderic

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 20:08

First played around Memorial Day this year. Probably about 100 games so far. First rune in July. First win in late August or early September.

I still frequently lose characters within the first three levels, when they get one shotted or caught between two monsters in a hallway. If they get as far as XL 5, they tend to go deep, and then die to something completely new to me.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 21:39

Started playing in August, got my first rune a week or two ago (after several hundred games, because I don't value the lives of characters very highly until past the Temple). Shortly after that, I got five runes with a different character. I haven't won yet, though.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 08:03

Mackerel wrote:First played around Memorial Day this year

When's Memorial Day?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 13:44

Confidence Interval wrote:
Mackerel wrote:First played around Memorial Day this year

When's Memorial Day?

Late May.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 18:44

I think it took me... a month or month and a half? MDFi of Nemelex in 0.5. If I remember correctly, entered Swamp after clearing Lair and managed to get the rune after a lot of fighting and running about as well as abuse of cards. Then later died on D12 or so to my first encounter with an Orange Crystal Statue after multiple teleports in an attempt to survive a cascading survival failure.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 14:00

About 2 weeks after starting the game. First rune to ever get was the Swamp rune with a DECj. Have been playing for 2 months now but still beat the game only once :evil: freakin hard lol

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 23:00

It took me about 2 months, and I succeeded recently. My Ogre Berserker managed to get 3 runes in one go (Swamp, Snake Pit, Vaults), and was planning to go for the endgame, when suddenly I thought, "Hey, I should finish Elven Halls 5 for the experience and loot!". On the flipside, 302226 points is almost a 3x improvement over my previous best (which was with a SpEn), and I'm proud of myself.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 7th October 2011, 23:19

Serne wrote:I've been playing DCSS for under a month, and so far I've managed to have 3 runs that ended in a death after getting a rune.

This kind of thing astonishes me. I've been playing DCSS for three or four years, with approximately 3000 games played, and last week I got my first rune - got three, in fact, before getting killed in Vault.

But really, I'm always amazed at how people can do in only 50 attempts. You must simply be a better person than me...

This. I've been playing since 0.6 and I haven't ever managed to win a game. My best run was some weeks ago, on an OgBe. Got the Snake Pits Rune then switched to Jiyva to get rid of bad mutations and the rune. Trog can get you far, but when I left him I was at the Vaults at some point and he summoned some ogres and a stone giant (or a hill one, whichever is the worst of the two)... The giant raped me for 49 dmg on the last hit at some point, I was thinking I could kill him and got overconfident. :( Well, frankly I only had a simple giant spiked club w/o brand up to +5/+5 or something like that. The bastard didn't give me a simple useful weapon, seriously... I think I'm terribly unlucky with drops.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 04:41

1,5 years :oops:

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 05:57

I haven't gotten mine yet. 7 months in!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 10th October 2011, 00:18

I just got my first rune a couple days ago! Been playing for 4-5 months and could never get past lair and orcish mines. Running a NaVM of chei right now and cleared lair, mines, hive, and got swamp rune. I did the first 4 levels of shoals and decided to do elf. I am now wandering the Abyss really hope I don't lose this character :cry:

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 19:50

A week and probably hundreds of deaths. It took me about 3 weeks to win.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 08:14

lucy_ferre wrote:It took me about 3 weeks to win.

People like you make me sick.

For this message the author Confidence Interval has received thanks:
Roderic

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 11:17

lucy_ferre wrote:It took me about 3 weeks to win.

People like you make me sick.

And I feel an urge of designing some nasty OOD vaults :x
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner