No Abyss Portal in Depths

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 02:55

No Abyss Portal in Depths

Has anyone else encountered this? I've done my best to ensure all five levels of Depths are fully explored, and using ctrl-f for the portal yields nothing. I've get entries for Hell and Pan, but nothing for the Abyss. I'd like to make Abyss my third rune. I have wielded and unwielded a distro weapon a bunch, and of course I haven't had luck getting banished, and I burnt up some cancellation pots in the attempts after getting bad contamination a few times.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 06:25

Re: No Abyss Portal in Depths

GrumpD wrote:Has anyone else encountered this? I've done my best to ensure all five levels of Depths are fully explored, and using ctrl-f for the portal yields nothing.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but checked all Depths levels for all 3 sets of stairs?
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 06:44

I feel like a more important question is why on earth you would want to make Abyss your third rune?

For this message the author prozacelf has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 13:49

Yeah, all three sets of stairs are discovered for each level. I keep trying to figure out what very obvious thing I'm overlooking, and so far nothing.

prozacelf wrote:I feel like a more important question is why on earth you would want to make Abyss your third rune?

I get Abyssal rune as my third to ensure you're perplexed by people's choices. Whacky! What's you favorite rune?

For this message the author GrumpD has received thanks: 3
Eyesburn, Majang, pedritolo

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 14:26

GrumpD wrote:Yeah, all three sets of stairs are discovered for each level. I keep trying to figure out what very obvious thing I'm overlooking, and so far nothing.

This leaves tiles which are unable to reach for autotravel:
- deep water
- excluded areas like a source of spreading flames

You could try all the (wooden) hatches/stairs, too (unlikely).

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks:
Rast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 16:31

Do you still have a few scrolls of magic mapping? Would be a pity to waste them on that, but what else can you do?
Or did you overlook a teleport trap somewhere blocking you from exploring an area?
Maɟaŋ

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 01:45

It was a tiny sliver that didn't get revealed because of a tele trap! Thanks for the help all.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 25th February 2018, 11:09

prozacelf wrote:I feel like a more important question is why on earth you would want to make Abyss your third rune?

Some chars are too afraid of say Shoals or Spider and prefer to go elsewhere. Having seen perfectly good chars get murdered while confused in one of these places you can’t really blame them.

I lost a char in spider because I descended some stairs and there was a welcome committee of several tarantellas an entropy weaver and a bunch of other spiders. They confused me all the time, being confused meant my Sh went to 0 and happily murdered me while I couldn’t even press <

Had similar problems in Shoals who can also confuse, engulf, prevent yo from fleeing and pelter you with missiles.

With other chars and careful play, both can be a walk in the park.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 01:54

what character on gods green earth is more scared of spider than abyss

I cannot imagine that those tarantella/shoals situations(with careful play) would be more difficult than stuff you are likely to run into in abyss.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 02:25

Shard1697 wrote:what character on gods green earth is more scared of spider than abyss

I cannot imagine that those tarantella/shoals situations(with careful play) would be more difficult than stuff you are likely to run into in abyss.

After losing a rather powerful run in spider (Demonspawn with max Powered by Death and Cheibro), I have to say Spider can sometimes turn into a nightmare from the swarm quality and lack of choke-points. In this case, I fell through a shaft straight into the middle of a horde and couldn't tele/blink to stares to save my life, or Step From Time/Slouch enough to survive either (too many, too open).

Abyss has rarely been that much of a threat to me...the morphics mean that you can generally run rather well and hide well too, teleports might by slow but they also almost never land you in a spot where the same creatures will find you, and most of the monsters aren't terribly dangerous. There are a couple specific ones that you look out for, but even those aren't as much of a threat to a powerful build as spider can be sometimes.

Let's also add that I've run into Mara many times in Spider...and anyone who isn't scared of Mara has issues.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 09:19

>Chei
>Spider is hard.
>Abyss is easier.

Lolwut?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 09:52

You just slouch 2-3 times and everything in Spider dies.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 10:47

nago wrote:>Chei
>Spider is hard.
>Abyss is easier.

Lolwut?

I think there are 2 ways to play Chei characters.
1) Manual exploration. You can lure to extreme, for instance, retreat from a single popcorn monster 7 tiles away until it gets adjacent and kill it there. This is very time-consuming and becomes boring soon.
2) Autoexplore. You will drag attention of many monsters and then may need to use loud spells/scroll of immolation/slouch, relying on teleportation to survive. This is very fun but eventually you may run out of scrolls of teleportation.
Spider's nest is very hard for first way since the terrain is pretty open and luring does not do much due to spiders speed. Snakes is much easier for Chei IMHO.
But I agree with you that Abyss is ways harder than Spider because Spider does not throw at you all those extremely dangerous monsters who can kill the character in 2-3 shots from a distance.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 13:56

Shard1697 wrote:what character on gods green earth is more scared of spider than abyss

He said abyssal rune as 3rd rune, so I assume he got runes from Lair branches ? And choosing between V:5, Slime and Abyss, the last is just fine place to get 3rd rune.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

For this message the author Eyesburn has received thanks:
ichbins

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 01:53

Eyesburn wrote:

He said abyssal rune as 3rd rune, so I assume he got runes from Lair branches ? And choosing between V:5, Slime and Abyss, the last is just fine place to get 3rd rune.
They responded to "why on earth you would want to make Abyss your third rune?" with "Some chars are too afraid of say Shoals or Spider and prefer to go elsewhere."

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 02:07

FWIW, DCSS should crash if a game is generated without an Abyss portal in the Depths. It should be called in dungeon.cc _build_level_vetoable.

dbg-scan.cc

Code:
/**
 * Check the map for validity, generating a crash if not.
 * This checks the loaded map to make sure all dungeon features and shops are
 * valid, all branch exits are generated, and all portals generated at fixed
 * levels in the Depths are actually present.
 */
void check_map_validity()
{
#ifdef ASSERTS
    dungeon_feature_type portal = DNGN_UNSEEN;
    if (player_in_branch(BRANCH_DEPTHS))
    {
        if (you.depth == 3)
            portal = DNGN_ENTER_PANDEMONIUM;
        else if (you.depth == 4)
            portal = DNGN_ENTER_ABYSS;
        else if (you.depth == 2)
            portal = DNGN_ENTER_HELL;
    }

dungeon_feature_type exit = DNGN_UNSEEN;
    if (you.depth == 1 && !player_in_branch(root_branch))
        exit = branches[you.where_are_you].exit_stairs;

// these may require you to look farther:
    if (exit == DNGN_EXIT_PANDEMONIUM)
        exit = DNGN_TRANSIT_PANDEMONIUM;
    if (exit == DNGN_EXIT_ABYSS)
        exit = DNGN_UNSEEN;

for (rectangle_iterator ri(0); ri; ++ri)
    {
        dungeon_feature_type feat = grd(*ri);
        if (feat <= DNGN_UNSEEN || feat >= NUM_FEATURES)
            die("invalid feature %d at (%d,%d)", feat, ri->x, ri->y);
        const char *name = dungeon_feature_name(feat);
        ASSERT(name);
        ASSERT(*name); // placeholders get empty names

trap_at(*ri); // this has all needed asserts already

if (shop_struct *shop = shop_at(*ri))
            ASSERT_RANGE(shop->type, 0, NUM_SHOPS);

// border must be impassable
        if (!in_bounds(*ri))
            ASSERT(feat_is_solid(feat));

if (env.level_map_mask(*ri) & MMT_MIMIC)
            continue;
        // no mimics below

const dungeon_feature_type orig = orig_terrain(*ri);
        if (feat == portal || orig == portal)
            portal = DNGN_UNSEEN;
        if (feat == exit || orig == exit)
            exit = DNGN_UNSEEN;
    }

if (portal)
    {
#ifdef DEBUG_DIAGNOSTICS
        dump_map("missing_portal.map", true);
#endif
        die("Portal %s[%d] didn't get generated.", dungeon_feature_name(portal), portal);
    }
    if (exit)
    {
#ifdef DEBUG_DIAGNOSTICS
        dump_map("missing_exit.map", true);
#endif
        die("Exit %s[%d] didn't get generated.", dungeon_feature_name(exit), exit);
    }

// And just for good measure:
    debug_item_scan();
    debug_mons_scan();
#endif
}

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 02:10

"Some chars are too afraid of say Shoals or Spider and prefer to go elsewhere." Should be answer for: "why on earth you would want to make Abyss your second rune?"

I mean where you pick second rune if you skipped one lair branch and want to take abyssal rune as third?
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 10:52

You worship Zin and you want to max your piety quickly.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 11:53

GrumpD wrote:Has anyone else encountered this? I've done my best to ensure all five levels of Depths are fully explored, and using ctrl-f for the portal yields nothing. I've get entries for Hell and Pan, but nothing for the Abyss..

Look carefully at exploration horizons of these levels, maybe autoexplore cannot lead you across lava or deep water and says that level is fully explored?
Abyss portal cannot be reached by autoexplore if it is hidden in the end of the lava lake with kobolds packing dispersal tomahawks. Obviously you cannod ^f for it.
Also I saw Pan (or Hell) portal in the end of deep water river while there were no other Pan portals. ^f-ing for "pan" show nothing with fully explored depths in that case.
I find that vaults broken in case when there are no other abyss/pan enters in the game.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2018, 00:37

Vaults is really tough.

Royal Jelly is tough.

Abyss is actually quite easy albeit somewhat slow.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th March 2018, 15:17

Midn8 wrote:

Vaults is really tough.

Royal Jelly is tough.

Abyss is actually quite easy albeit somewhat slow.

Royal Jelly is the most straighforward of these, though. That's why it's almost always my third rune nowadays.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Barkeep

Post Monday, 19th March 2018, 18:12

The Slime fight is the most predictable one of the lot (really, probably the most predictable rune fight in the game) so if you're geared up for it it's a good rune. Vaults is pretty predictable too. Abyss... you could get the rune with almost no fuss right away, or you could repeatedly be swamped with dangerous monsters.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
nago

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 21:01

Vaults and Royal Jelly require your character to have a fairly high power level to do safely. Abyss can almost always be done with careful play, even if your power level is low, because the average number of tele scrolls you'll have to burn is about half as much as the number that generate in Abyss.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 21:24

Midn8 wrote:Vaults and Royal Jelly require your character to have a fairly high power level to do safely. Abyss can almost always be done with careful play, even if your power level is low, because the average number of tele scrolls you'll have to burn is about half as much as the number that generate in Abyss.

I almost never go to the Abyss voluntarily, except with characters who are doing 15 runes, after Pan, And every time I feel that Abyss 3 is really dangerous, practically Hell difficulty. And requires a LOT of teleport scrolls.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 23:45

Magipi wrote:
Midn8 wrote:Vaults and Royal Jelly require your character to have a fairly high power level to do safely. Abyss can almost always be done with careful play, even if your power level is low, because the average number of tele scrolls you'll have to burn is about half as much as the number that generate in Abyss.

I almost never go to the Abyss voluntarily, except with characters who are doing 15 runes, after Pan, And every time I feel that Abyss 3 is really dangerous, practically Hell difficulty. And requires a LOT of teleport scrolls.

I've heard people say this but I think I've only died when getting the abyssal rune once, and that was on a formicid who got wrathed by Oka 3 times in like 40 turns (So no teleports, probably would have died at any end of branch).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 13:53

Along the lines of the original problem of this thread: Cheers to the devs who now have the trunk version maps mark unexplored areas in red. That helps a lot!
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
nago

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice